-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im wondering if anyone can give a little insight as to the status of Marlin's XLR line of lever actions, (stainless with black laminate stock). They've seemed to have all just about disappeared. I've searched locally and on the internet for them: Cabellas, Cheaper Than Dirt, Buds Gun Shop, Gunbroker, etc; and just about all of them are out of stock. The places that do show them in stock tell me that they are back ordered or they want major $$$ for them. The highest quote I've gotten so far is $998. I called Marlin's customer service and the lady told me that "Marlin has currently ceased production of the XLR line". I asked her if that meant they are no longer making them at all or have they just temporarily stopped production to get other models in production. All she would say is that they have ceased production of the XLR line. The guy who quoted me the $998 said that Marlin is longer making the XLR's and that they are now being considered "collectors items" and that the price on them will all start going up. I really like the look of them. I'm not interested in the Browning BLR's and I keep getting referred to them whenever I inquire about the XLR's. Just curious to see if anyone has heard the same thing or if anyone has any other info on them. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have also heard that they have quite making them.
I picked one up a few years ago in .450 cal. another thing that they have seemed to quite making. I am afraid mine would be of little collectors value. Was unimpressed with the 24 inch barrel. So I sent it off and had it professionally cut and recrowned to 20 inches, and had the trigger work down to 2 lbs. I also had the action slicked up. It cycles like it is on greased rails. I make a 430 grain hard cast GC for it, and it shoots them exceptionally well since it does not have the micro groove rifling. Good luck finding one I expect you will not be disappointed.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've been following this thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5520400/1

But its from a few months ago. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new/updated about this.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What caliber are you looking for? 308 MXLR LA, 24" S/S Laminated, $800.00 & shipping to you FFL. NIB

JohnP

JohnP
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Does anybody know for certain where the LXRs are or were made? CT or SC or both? Specifically, I'm interested in a .30-30.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
JohnP, thanks for the heads up on the 308. Im more interested in a 444 though.

Paul, the XLR's are made at the CT location. I've seen alot of 30-30's available.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, smokin'

I'm looking to buy one, but I'm concerned about buying sight unseen like GunBroker, and buying a pig in a poke, if quality is iffy.

If anybody knows of a trustworthy source, I'd appreciate a PM.

I'm new to this whole class of rifle (lever).

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's a PM that was sent to me. If anyone has any insight on this, feel free to jump in.

"Thanks for the info on the Marlins. There seem to be some XLR .30-30s out there, including those on the sites that you posted. You can get an idea of where and when they are made by the serial number, but none of the places I contacted can or will tell me. Seems they are just a commodity that ships out of a warehouse somewhere.

Are you pretty certain that they were all made in CT before the move to SC? Do you know when Rem. moved all their production?

I get nervous because I have had less than great luck ordering off the internet."

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll put it this way, when I spoke with customer service at Marlin, thats what was relayed to me. I'm kinda losing faith in Marlin's C.S. dept. When I called, I was transferred to a "technician" who told me that the XLR's were a special order for a specific distributor. I asked him how could they be a special order if the whole line of XLR's are right in the Marlin 2011 catalog. He said that they were "more than likely a special order". Thats also where I was told that the XLR's were being made in CT until the move. So take it for what its worth. Everyone I've talked to that have any of the XLR's really love them and I love the way they look! Im just a little disappointed in the direction Marlin seems to be going with their customer support. Bummer

Last edited by smokinbarrels; 11/27/11.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Remember, they were bought by Remington...

and Remington is ran entirely by beancounters...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They bit off more than they could chew.Give them time and they will make good rifles for us.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an XLR in 450M and I am wildly impressed with it.

I do wish it had Nice wood stocks.

But it is a shooter.

Marlin seems to be in trouble and they are better off figuring it out with a smaller product line.

Maybe them we can start getting the old product line back.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 3,179 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.