Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello,

A friend from Outdoors Directory forums suggested I check out this site for some good info on the .35 Whelen. I live in Wasilla, AK when I'm not deployed. I'm currently in Afghanistan and I've been thinking about my next rifle. I need to fill a big bore void in my rifle collection and I love the .30-06 cartridge and it's offspring. I've always liked the .35 Whelen and I've decided it's time to have one in the safe.

I've never spent a lot of money on a rifle. (Army E-5 pay kind of dictates that.) For that reason, I've grown quite fond of Marlin's XL rifles. My first one was a .243 that put handloads into sub-half inch groups at 100 yards. I have another one in 30-06 that I used to take my first black bear last spring. (See avatar)

I'm thinking of buying another XL7 in 30-06 and having it re-barreled in .35 Whelen. Any advice or experience with the .35 Whelen would be appreciated. This will be my first re-barrel custom. I'm hoping to have Wild West Guns in Anchorage handle the work for me. Lack of factory ammo is not a problem since I handload.

Thanks in advance!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt welcome, the 35 Whelen is my favorite cartridge I'm sure you will like it it, kills animals well and doesn't kick much. If you want to shoot bullets heavier than 250 gr go with 1 in 14 twist. I have taken several moose, black bears, a stone sheep and a blacktailed deer with mine using various 225 gr bullets and been pleased. My current favotite load is 60 gr Varget with a 225 gr Accubond for 2763 fps. Guys have done real well with RL 15 as well.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome alaskamatt to the 'fire.

There is a few used bolt guns floating around in gun shops and gun shows chambered on the Whelen. Might take a little look'n.

I had found an old tang safty ruger at one time at a local gun shop factory chambered in the whelen. Stupid me, I did not buy it. Being practical has draw backs.

Then found a Remington 700 in the whelen at a gun show. Nice rifle too, but I had a 338 win mag by then. Again being practical, I thought why do I need a whelen now??

So If ya can, mabe hit some gun shops. Ya never know.

Old co-worker has a 35 whelen in a remington 700. He loves it. He often chooses it over his 7mm rem mag no matter the game being hunted.

All he shoots is 250 gr. hornadys. Animals DRT or well laid blood trail to dead animal. To my knowledge, he has recovered no bullets from game, complete pass threw is the norm on large bears, elk, deer.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, Ruger and Remington riles in .35 Whelen have 1 in 16" twist barrels, at least mine do. My custom has a 1 in 14" twist barrel and it's quite accurate with bullets up to 250 gr.
My favorite load in the custom rifle is the 225 gr. Barnes TSX over 60.4 gr. of RL15.
The other rifles shoot a 250 gr. Hornady or Speer bullet over 53.0 gr. of H335. (CAUTION: These are max loads in my rifles.)
I haven't seen the need for any bullets heavier than 250 gr. in my neck of the woods. None of the great bears anywhere near here.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 12/31/11.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Matt,

Welcome to the fire. There are some great people here with a ton of great knowledge and a willingness to share their experiences. I live in Wasilla as well. Let me first say thank you for your service to this country and please stay safe over there.

I have been a long time fan of the 35 Whelen. I picked up a pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 10 years ago that had been converted to left handed and had Cliff Labounty rebore it to 35 Whelen. It thinks it's a target rifle and shoots way better than I ever hoped for. Reboring is an option you might consider. If you pick up a good 30-06 either new or used that shoots well, it is likely to shoot well as a rebore. JES Reboring does a great job from what I am told and has a very quick turn around time and for less money than a rebarrel. Which ever way you go the 35 Whelen is one of the finest North American game cartridges in existence.

Shoot me a pm when you get back to Wasilla. I'll buy you lunch and we can shoot the breeze about 35 Whelens.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to the project. I'll look into the reboring option too. Mart - glad to meet a fellow Wasilla resident. Maybe someday we'll get a local range, huh?

I've poked around here a bit and found twist rates recommended from 1:12 to 1:16. I'll most likely be using 225 to 250 gr. bullets. I imagine a 1:14 would be a happy medium for that range. Any reason to go with a different twist? If I had any inclination to use a lighter bullet I'd just leave the Whelen at home and give the nod to the '06.

Off topic - can anyone tell me how I can get e-mail notification for replies to my threads? I can't seem to find that under preferences or subscriptions.

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 12/31/11.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since reboring was mentioned I had Dan Pedersen (Classic Barrel Works?) rebore a Browning BLR 243 to 260 Rem and was quite happy with his work.

Another good place to check out is the Nosler forum good guys and lots of good information there including a bullet test section.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/

Gerry.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Matt,

I went with the 1:14 twist and have been happy with it. It gives sub 1" groups with 250 grain bullets, when I do my part. As to the email question I cannot help. I am pretty much a tecnotard.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Welcome Matt and thanks for your service. If you don't intend to shoot anything heavier than the 225 gr the 35 does not offer any thing much over the.06. I have toyed with the idea mysef a few times,but could not convince myself it was worth it. It shines with the heavier bullets though, but you get the increase of recoil to. Rebore or rebarrel is going to set you back $400 plus, so finding a used one is going to save a lot of E-3 bucks.
If you want a bigger hole,you might look at different offerings. You don't say what you want it for, but if you are looking for bigger bear medicine up there in AK,I would look at something with a little more umph since you already have the.0. Just a thought though.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/31/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Matt, thanks for your service.

The 35 Whelen has seen a lot of debate over rate of twist dating back to it's beginning when 300 grain bullets were thought to be better for large and/or dangerous game. Most 250 grain bullets will handle that stuff well, now.

My Whelens are the factory 1-16" twist and shoot pretty much anything I load into smaller groups than my varmint rigs will. Like Mart said, they seem to think they're target rifles. I put my old battered Rem 700 BDL action into an equally battered mtn rifle stock for elk hunting. 250 grain bullets shoot great and work equally well on elk.

The only other calibers that I've found to be as easy to get along with are the 270 Win and 338-06.

Be safe and enjoy your search for a Whelen. Looking for rifles and gearing up is the best occupation of the off season.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Matt, Thank you, and a Very warm 24Hr welcome. May I suggest a 35 Whelen-like 30'06 handload until you can scratch the Whelen itch? Get some 220gr NPs or HDY RNs, research a max load of RE22. In my 22" 700 Mountain and a 70 BOSS this works out to 58 to 60gr and 2600 FPS more or less and often inch to inch and a quarter groups @ 200 yards.

Best effort (for M 700 Classic) 35W is Varget and 225s for just a little more fps. I have seen very similar results on game, (220 30, 250 35s) and a very noticable increase in thump (to about 250 yards or so). Walking around in AK with 220 RNs in the '06 or 250 RNs in the Whelen is just a bit more comforting, as you never know (what in AK) just might answer your varmint call. If you need long, pointy, boat tailed, or Cape Buffalo weight .35 bullets, a quick twist barrel may work out... but a 1-16 twist still, I think is just fine, especially if cast bullets and 357 pistol bullet small game and fun handloads appeal to you. Best wishes.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks again folks. taz, given your report on the 1:16 I may decide to go with that, since I tend to lean more toward heavy bullets.

As for my reasons for chosing the Whelen, I dislike belted magnums because of my experience reloading them. (.300 WM and .450 Marlin) It could have been my dies, but they were always a pain to re-size. I know there are other more powerful non-belted options such as the .338 Lapua, etc. I simply like the Whelen and I've always wanted one. It is significantly more powerful than the '06, since the Whelen is capable of pushing a 225 gr. bullet to the same velocity as the '06 with a 180 gr. bullet.

My primary use in terms of game is moose. I wouldn't feel under-gunned using it for brown bear either, but as a meat hunter I don't intentionally hunt brown bears. I usually carry an S&W .460 loaded with heavy hardcast pushed by lil gun or H110 while hunting other game in brown bear country, just for protection.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't go with the Whelen. Any the but that! smile

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Don't go with the Whelen. Any the but that! smile

Hmmm... I'm guessing that would leave more .35 cal bullets for Whelenman? wink

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 12/31/11.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a Marlin XL7 and had it rebarreled to 35 whelen. I love the gun.

It is pretty much a savage barrel swap type deal, and savage barrels will work in it. So for on the cheap you can get a savage 35 whelen barrel and just screw it on the action and tighten the barrel nut to spec.

The thing you will need to have done by a competent gunsmith is have the front of the action honed appropriately so that when you try to chamber 35 whelen ammo it will work.

The 30-06, of course uses 30 cal dia bullets. (yea I know you knew that) The action is set up to feed the 30 cal just fine, but when you go to a larger dia, like 35 cal, it won't work.

What will happen is the nose of the cartridge will be pushed over too far due to the "feed lip" (which is part of the action not the mag well) being too fat. The front of your cartridge will be jammed into the side of the barrel and not go into the chamber like it's suppose to.

I hope this makes sense.

My 35 whelen has a stainless shilen barrel on it in 35 whelen and fully loaded with scope wt's exactly 8 lbs. smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info blammer. I sent a message to the owner of Wild West Guns which is a reputable gun shop which does custom smith work in Anchorage. He'll know exactly what needs to be done. I didn't know Savage barrels would work, I'll look into that too.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Matt said "It is significantly more powerful than the '06, since the Whelen is capable of pushing a 225 gr. bullet to the same velocity as the '06 with a 180 gr. bullet."

Matt. not disputing you,but where did you find this data?

Checking my Hornady manual. The .06 loaded to book max with a 180 gr bullet shows 2800fps, and with the 220 gr bullet, 2600 fps.

The 35 Whelen is listed as book max as 2700 fps for a 200 gr bullet and 2500 fps for a 250 gr bullet (none listed for a 225).

Simple calculations show that:
180gr @ 2800fps = 3133 ft lbs
220gr @ 2600fps = 3033 ft lbs
200gr @ 2700fps = 3238 ft lbs
250 gr@ 2500fps = 3470 ft lbs

Realizing that any load can be worked up over book max to achieve a greater velocity,that is true with both the .06 and 35.

I find it a little hard to believe that since the 200 gr ,35 Whelen is listed at 2700 fps and the 180 ,30-06 is listed at 2800 that anyone could achieve a greater velocity out of a 225 gr 35 Whelen than 180 gr 30-06.So one gains about 100ft lbs going to the 200 gr 35 Whelen and maybe 200 ft lbs going to the 225 gr Whelen.That is insignificant in the hunting world

I am interestd, as I state earlier,as I have thought about this conversion,but did not see the advantage.Just a bigger diamater hole.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Matt said "It is significantly more powerful than the '06, since the Whelen is capable of pushing a 225 gr. bullet to the same velocity as the '06 with a 180 gr. bullet."

Matt. not disputing you,but where did you find this data?

Checking my Hornady manual. The .06 loaded to book max with a 180 gr bullet shows 2800fps, and with the 220 gr bullet, 2600 fps.

The 35 Whelen is listed as book max as 2700 fps for a 200 gr bullet and 2500 fps for a 250 gr bullet (none listed for a 225).

Simple calculations show that:
180gr @ 2800fps = 3133 ft lbs
220gr @ 2600fps = 3033 ft lbs
200gr @ 2700fps = 3238 ft lbs
250 gr@ 2500fps = 3470 ft lbs

Realizing that any load can be worked up over book max to achieve a greater velocity,that is true with both the .06 and 35.

I find it a little hard to believe that since the 200 gr ,35 Whelen is listed at 2700 fps and the 180 ,30-06 is listed at 2800 that anyone could achieve a greater velocity out of a 225 gr 35 Whelen than 180 gr 30-06.So one gains about 100ft lbs going to the 200 gr 35 Whelen and maybe 200 ft lbs going to the 225 gr Whelen.That is insignificant in the hunting world

I am interestd, as I state earlier,as I have thought about this conversion,but did not see the advantage.Just a bigger diamater hole.

I never forget a number. I am positive I saw 2800 FPS. associated with a 225 gr. bullet for .35 Whelen. The source I am not as sure of, but I think it was Ammo and Ballistics II. I have read it several times, and often use it as a reference for dreaming up a new rifle. I was pretty amazed I'll admit. I figured it had something to do with a more efficient burn due to the changed shoulder profile or something. It also seems that enlarging the bullet diameter without increasing the powder charge would reduce pressure, allowing for a stouter charge. Mind you - this is all my speculation. Add in new powders like Hornady's Superformance and it's not such a stretch.

All that aside though, I am not as impressed with velocity as I am with slinging heavier projectiles. Tests have proven time and again that heavy and slow will out-penetrate light and fast every time. That is my primary reason for choosing the Whelen.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Matt, you saw it allright it's in Nosler #6. I shoot a M77RS in 35 Whelen with 225 gr NP's deer elk, whatever. Developed my load with the 22" barrel at 2525fps using IMR 4320 max dose.The loads simply are not shown any much faster than this in Nosler #5 and don't equal that in Speer #13 and 2650 for 200's and 2500 for 250's in Horn #8. Yet Nosler #6 shows 2-3 loads approaching 2800 fps with 225 gr bullets. I thought holy chit, where did they get +250 fps? So I called them on the phone and asked them. They told me they would stand on the loads as given in the book and did not have any problems with the higher velocities or over pressure with them to get there either. In my light M77RS I thought the recoil bad enuf at 2525 fps and I have killed 3 deer and 2 elk with them so I guess I'll owe up to being a little lax about checking out those loads on the chrono to see if they are REAL.Good luck and you watch your rear in the Ghan, don't trust any of those towelheads. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Matt page 514 Nosler #6 748,RL15,Varget,IMR 4064 max loads all approaching or exceeding 2800 fps.All are compressed loads up to 108% Only the RL 15 was 2789 at 59.0 grs at 101% volume density. The test gun had a 24" barrel length. Bet my last dime those loads are killers on both ends. Magnum Man

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.