Home
Posted By: GoWyo RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
I posted something similar a while back. I no longer see factory ammo for this anywhere. Has the 204 Ruger killed it?

I’m set with enough components to last me the rest of my life and probably my sons’. I currently have two rifles. An AI Sako and an AR-17 with a 18” Lothar Walther barrel.

I didn’t get out once this past winter to call coyotes and I’m rather despondent about it.

Getting back to factory ammo I know with Remington’s trials and tribulations, and the ammo plant being shut down. It probably just hasn’t been made for a while. Last I saw it was $38 a box which boggles my mind. I never have seen any Nosler ammo. I know they made brass. Did they make any loaded ammo?

Gary
Posted By: mistem Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
I have seen the loaded Nosler ammo… $60 for 20. No Thanks
Posted By: T_O_M Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
The .17 Remington and .17 Fireball were never real strong sellers. Among the centerfires, all but the Hornet seem on shaky ground and it's not that healthy. .204 .. no. While it did come in and that did have an impact, the .204 seems to be fading as well. In fact, if you look at sales numbers, other than .223 in the AR platform, nothing on the ol' .222's case head is truly common on the shelf anymore. I think a big factor is the decline of, and commercialization of, colony varmint shooting.

I have a few hundred fired Remington .17 Rem cases and a few hundred new Norma cases, bunch of .17 bullets, dies, etc .. just haven't tracked down an action yet.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
Love my .17 REM. It has accounted for many coyotes, rock chucks and prairie dogs. It’s not for everyone. If they become rarer, good ‘nuff! Makes mine even more $$$$. Have enough brass to last me my lifetime.
BTW, first critter I ever killed was a badger that took a 25 grain VMAX in his left eye. One and done. MTG
Posted By: GoWyo Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
I would agree about popularity, it but I could always find ammo.
Posted By: Jericho Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/24/24
I cant remember the last time I saw a 17 REM or a 204 rifle for sale
Posted By: TheKid Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
I’ve never met a 17 shooter who didn’t load their own ammunition. I don’t think I’ve ever shot a factory round in mine. I probably have enough brass and definitely have enough bullets to last me either my lifetime or the lifetime of mine’s barrel anyway.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
If you should have a CZ 527 in 17 Rem you wish to dump, I may be able to help. Shoot me a PM if this a issue you need assistance with & we will see if we can come up with a solution for you. Same may applied to 17 HH or even a custom 17 Fireball.
Posted By: ldholton Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
I've got a 204 as a matter a fact 2 of them . never had a 17 Remington always wanted one and somehow I never ended up with one..

still got the want if I could find the right one. but I might settle for a 17 fireball
Posted By: MickinColo Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
I haven't shot factory ammunition in any of my guns since the early 70s, including the 17 Remington. I just went to Midways website and looked up the price of factory ammo. Wow! $3.15 to $2.50 per round.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
I almost got talked out of my .17 Rem two years ago. ALMOST. But it seems it doesn't get used as much as it counter parts. It just gets beat out on prairie dogs by the smaller .17s, such as the .17hh, .17 AH, .17 fireball and then when it comes to coyote calling, I much prefer it's big brother in 17/204. But yet, I can't let it go.
Posted By: mart Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/25/24
It’s still alive here. Mine is a left handed Charles Daly mini Mauser with a PacNor barrel. With several hundred rounds of brass and 1100 Hornady 25 grain HP I should be good for the rest of my life calling furbearers.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/26/24
I’ve one example of the 17 HH, 17 rem FB and 17 Remington. I use the 17 Hornet the most it seems. Fun moderate range gun for squirrels and such. I really need to spend more effort on the 17 Rem though. It’s a factory Remington varmint stainless. It doesn’t shoot quite as well as I would like so it’s been sitting. I need to do more load development to see if/how much I can tighten it up. My 204s shoot lights out so I usually just go with one of those instead.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/26/24
I have a couple of 17 Hornets and a Rem 700 SPS in 17 Fireball. I run 20 grain VMAX's in the Hornets and 25's in the Fireball. I also have a 19 Badger which sits just below my 204 and is a lot of fun.
Posted By: wyosteve Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/26/24
I've got a Rem. 700 Grade I, .17 Rem. with the most beautiful piece of wood I've seen on a factory Remington and a ULA in .17 Rem., along with several cases of ammo and components. Haven't shot either in a few years so might need to think of moving them, although I hate the thought.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/26/24
Howdy Steve,

With the silliness that 700s are going for these days. You might gain a bit more profit by putting it on an auction site.

IMR 4320 was my go to powder for the 17 rem. It was kind of universal in .17 land as were Rem 7.5 BR primers. I still have a few pounds of that, several k primers and Berger, RP, Hornady 25 gr HP’s. All which indicate that Im not shooting enough.

Show us a pic of your 700!

Attached picture _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Guns_FB_IMG_1601314421742.jpeg
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/26/24
Originally Posted by T_O_M
The .17 Remington and .17 Fireball were never real strong sellers. Among the centerfires, all but the Hornet seem on shaky ground and it's not that healthy. .204 .. no. While it did come in and that did have an impact, the .204 seems to be fading as well. In fact, if you look at sales numbers, other than .223 in the AR platform, nothing on the ol' .222's case head is truly common on the shelf anymore. I think a big factor is the decline of, and commercialization of, colony varmint shooting.

I have a few hundred fired Remington .17 Rem cases and a few hundred new Norma cases, bunch of .17 bullets, dies, etc .. just haven't tracked down an action yet.

Other than 223/5.56, the 300BO is about the only one that really has any traction in today's market.
Posted By: dale06 Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/27/24
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve never met a 17 shooter who didn’t load their own ammunition. I don’t think I’ve ever shot a factory round in mine. I probably have enough brass and definitely have enough bullets to last me either my lifetime or the lifetime of mine’s barrel anyway.

Same comments, and I have multiple 17 Rem and 204R rifles and have never fired a factory cartridge in any of them. The 204 is as good as it gets on PDs.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/27/24
I think if I were to get in the game now, I’d definitely go .17/ .20 tactical, especially in a semi. Let the brass fly.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/29/24
GoWyo: No resting in peace for my trio of 17 Remington Rifles (Remington 700 Classic, Remington 700 BDL and an ultra-rare factory stock Remington 700 Varmint/Stainless/Synthetic).
All are accurate and reliable to a "T".
Yeah, factory ammunition for MANY calibers is stunningly expensive these days, not just the 17 Remington - I am so glad I taught myself to reload ammunition 65 years ago (at age 12).
I have enough 17 Remington brass and components to last the rest of my days - thankfully.
Long live the 17 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GoWyo Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/29/24
I had one of those 700 Synthetic Stainless Varmints. I could only eke out @. .75-1” groups. I and two others ordered at the same time. They couldn’t get groups under 1.5”. It turned out that the free bore was @.5” on one and 3/8” on the other. They went back to Remington. My rifle was about 5/16”, but still shot better than theirs. I ended up selling mine here.
Posted By: minengr Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/29/24
Originally Posted by mart
It’s still alive here. Mine is a left handed Charles Daly mini Mauser with a PacNor barrel.

Mine is a right handed Daly with a PacNor. Did Mr. Weaver put yours together too?
Posted By: mart Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/29/24
Originally Posted by minengr
Originally Posted by mart
It’s still alive here. Mine is a left handed Charles Daly mini Mauser with a PacNor barrel.

Mine is a right handed Daly with a PacNor. Did Mr. Weaver put yours together too?

Mine was put together by PacNor.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: RIP .17 Remington? - 04/29/24
I have a few 17’s. From 17 HMR, 17CCM, 17 Hornet and 17 Remington. Of all, the most amazing is the 17CCM. It is the cartridge in the middle between the HMR and the Hornet.

I chronographed the load last week at 2970 with a 25 grain VMax. 8 1/2 grains of 1680 sends a 20 grain bullet at 2970 fps. The Hornet is near 3700, making the 17 Remington almost unnecessary, but not quite…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire