Home
Posted By: JeffG Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
So now that I have officially given up on Butler Creek caps ever staying closed, what are you using that actually function in the field?
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
http://www.aadmount.com/
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Those look nice, but $100 seems a little steep for plastic flip ups.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Those look nice, but $100 seems a little steep for plastic flip ups.

Yes, nice, I wouldn't hesitate on a $2000 scope..., but I'm not sure I'd go for those on my $400 scopes.

Anything in the $40-$50 range?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
replaced an older flip up with a modern day Bulter creek.

it lasted a day. Junk.

now have gone to the neoprene full scope covers.

$13
[Linked Image]

or
$20

I like these as I don't lose em.

[Linked Image]

both have added protection of scope body.

Posted By: goalie Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
I use these. If you put it on with the loop inside the sling, it hangs there and you can't lose it.

https://scopeshieldcover.com/
Posted By: Bugger Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
I use bikini covers. the flip up caps -- not so much
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
This works pretty good for me and I don't lose them either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I only hook one side of the rubber band so they hang to the side when I want to look thru the scope.
Posted By: nimrodtracy Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/05/15
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
This works pretty good for me and I don't lose them either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I only hook one side of the rubber band so they hang to the side when I want to look thru the scope.

Great idea
Another option in neoprene. These include the keeper loop which retains the cover on the rifle after its instant field release from the scope. The Campfire's John Barsness has used these and reviewed them under their previous name, ScopeShield Alaska. Now ScopeGuard Alaska.

www.scopeguardalaska.com

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Terryk Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
I know they are expensive, but I use the aluminum pop ups from Leupold. They work, but no doubt overpriced.
Posted By: reelman Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
I've played with them all just about and IMO there are two options. If you have a newer Leupold bite the bullet and buy their AlumiCovers, yes they're expensive but they are also great. The other option is a Scope Coat, they look cheesy on the rifle IMHO but they work great.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
I was really hoping the BC flip ups were better now. I quit using them a few years ago because they would break pretty much on the first outing. I wish they'd fix the quality issues because those are my favorites.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
Thanks for all these other ideas, that's what I needed to hear and see.

The tethered bikini covers look simple and effective. does that ever get tangled up with case ejection?

Sounds like this ScopeShield version of the scope coat will be quicker in the field than the bikini covers. I'd be concerned with it dangling under the rifle, as a disruption or distraction to me or the game at close quarters. Or getting hung up on the front of the scope and blocking the sight line.

I might have to try both and see which works best for me.

I appreciate the help.
Jeff
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
The tethered bikini covers look simple and effective. does that ever get tangled up with case ejection?

I always hang them on the opposite side of the ejection port, so no, no problems.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki

I always hang them on the opposite side of the ejection port, so no, no problems.

Same here. The bikini covers work really well in keeping dust off the lenses if in a scabbard on horseback or riding in/on an atv. Same with water.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
Another reason I like the neoprene covers is they protect the entire scope with a little padding, which can be handy in a lot of circumstances.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I was really hoping the BC flip ups were better now. I quit using them a few years ago because they would break pretty much on the first outing. I wish they'd fix the quality issues because those are my favorites.

Oh, Oh...if Stick reads this he's gonna hit you with his video.......

Casey
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
Originally Posted by JeffG
So now that I have officially given up on Butler Creek caps ever staying closed, what are you using that actually function in the field?

Uncle Mike's QD Scope Covers........

Casey
Posted By: john843 Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
The bikinis that come with certain Leupolds are the best version of those that I've come across. I tried a Butler creek bikini and it didn't last long.
The Leupold Aluminas work pretty well also and am yet to have any of them fail.
Gave up on BC flip-ups 8-10 yrs. ago.

John
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/06/15
I have used "Scopecoats" for several years and have been extremely pleased with the result.

Whether in Pa., Tx., out west or in Africa, they have served me well. Not only do they protect the lenses, but I keep them on in and out of the safe. They really protect all parts of the scope.

donsm70
Posted By: Calvin Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/07/15
If they are not staying closed, you have the wrong size. I break them often though on backpack style hunts. The older ones are bulletproof. The newer ones are the brittle plastic. I take them off most of the time now if it isn't raining, just because I'm sick of buying them. They are about the only option though. It's been a long time though since I've hung a buck.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Scope caps that work? - 11/07/15
I've had Aluminas auto-close during recoil. Also had the magnets come out.

Scope condoms seem too slow and clumsy hunting coastal brush. By the time I fiddle with the cover the animal would be gone.

B&C have been pretty good. There were reports of some batches with weak hinges. I think I had one. Called c/s and got replacements for free. As Calvin stated, if fitted properly they stay shut.

I don't have a problem with rain covered lenses hunting the coast. No fogging, but pine needles and such can be a problem. In snow, I definitely want a cap on the objective.
© 24hourcampfire