Home
My truck got totaled last week .2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. 6.0 vortex and allison combo.Great truck hauled alot of firewood and just a great work truck 221.000
I will look for a similar truck here when i get insurance money. But wondering what trucks have been solid for you guys. While im searching for a new one
Get a used Tundra with the 5.7L. You can buy a late 2000's Tundra for $10-14,000. Great Truck and reliable as hell.
F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke.
85 Chevy K30 4x4 ..454 smile
My 2003 Ram 2500 Diesel. Sold it with 297k miles on it, still running awesome. Last time I spoke with the new owner it was close to 400k. He replaced the alternator and fuel pump.
My Chevys and Toyotas have always been the most reliable, maintenance free vehicles I've ever had.
My '95 Ford F-350 Diesel was hands down the worst vehicle I've ever owned.
I’ve got the same 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 but only 113,000 miles. I figure I’ve got another 113,000 to go.
Best truck I’ve ever owned.
Toyota, next question?
If you need full size go Tundra, if you don't go Tacoma
hey for talking about getting ourselves around. I had a 2001F 150 Ford 4-door short bed. it was one of the very last two valve versus three valve 5.4 or maybe I got it backwards. but something about the balance of the truck it got itself around and [bleep] ground extremely well. I know one inch and had a bad rap for breaking this two-piece spark plugs and one engine had a bad rap for blowing the spark plugs out of the holes. but the biggest thing was if you actually changed them at the correct intervals there was no issue at all. I put almost 300,000 miles on that truck and had zero issues...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Toyota, next question?

Toyota has never made a pickup that could out haul or out tow a 2500HD Chevy. Apples & peanuts comparison. Maybe great trucks on their level but they're not yet on board with American 3/4 tons.
We have two 4WD pickups made in 2000, a Toyota Tacoma and a Ford F350 with club cab and the V10 gas engine. Both are still running fine--though we have only averaged a little over 6000 miles a year on the Ford, since it's a special-use truck for hauling stuff, whether our 20-foot camper trailer or a defunct bull moose. Bought them both used with around 50,000 miles on 'em in 2004. Might have to replace one sometime, but so far so good.
I owned a 2006 GMC Colorado for 10 years. I had no need for a full size truck anymore as I had sold
off my trailer. For my needs it was just a perfect truck. The trouble is the new ones have grown to just short of the size of a full size pickup. If you don't need a full size truck these are worth serious consideration.

Jim
The best truck I've ever owned is the 2007 Tacoma in my driveway. I'm at 240,000 miles and the only parts replaced were the alternator at about 180,000 and the HVAC fan at about 200,000. Other than normal stuff like tires, brakes, and fluids of course. I'd drive it cross country tomorrow.

You may need a bigger truck though. I have a BIL with a 1999 F250 with the 7.3L diesel in it. He is still driving it with around 400,000 miles. Not sure what he's done to it, but not much.
Originally Posted by dropem
My truck got totaled last week .2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. 6.0 vortex and allison combo.Great truck hauled alot of firewood and just a great work truck 221.000
I will look for a similar truck here when i get insurance money. But wondering what trucks have been solid for you guys. While im searching for a new one
Lots of thoughts on this, and if a person has a vehicle that has gone 200,000+ miles it could be in contention. The OP has a 3/4 ton and hauled fire wood. As good as the Toyota is, it might not be a fit.
2001 Tundra. It died at 380K miles when my son hit a jersey wall with it. I would probably still have it. It had no major repairs or rust. I towed boats, campers and trailers all over the US. Even hauled firewood but only a few times a year.
2001 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3 PowerStroke diesel 4x4 cab and a half, 8 foot bed. Had it 20 years, minimal issues. Did eat brakes about my only complaint. 200,000 on the odometer when I sold it in 2021.
My 2002 chevy half ton 5.3 was a great truck. I had to sell it when I went to grad school.

Bb
Have had Suburban, Yukon, Lariat, Explorer, Land Cruiser and Tundra 4x4's. Tundra is the best of the bunch.
Cummins...

No further discussion required.
Had a couple trucks I miss to this day.
2006 cummins for work to tow my trailers. Never should have sold that one.
And 2007 Ridgeline for weekend errands/picking up kids/groceries/hunting and fishing trips. . Honestly that was the most comfortable and practical truck I’ve had.
Especially on wash board rods, the independent front and rear suspension ate them roads up.
My ‘03 Sierra with a Duramax is at well over 200K miles and still going strong.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I’ve got the same 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 but only 113,000 miles. I figure I’ve got another 113,000 to go.
Best truck I’ve ever owned.
Mine is the 2001 HD2500 4x4 extended cab, 6.0 w/ 4L85E transmission. 135K on the meter.

The only thing I would trade it for would be a 6.2 without variable displacement, and the six speed with shifters on the steering wheel.
Had two that were good to me and I will always remember. Lord I miss both of them. Late 90s kid so this is the best I've got:

1984 C10 6.2 diesel that I converted to a 350, and then to a 454. Dual tanks. When it for the 454 and I bored over, I tubbed it. With the 8 foot bed.

1998 Ram 1500 factory off-road package, 5.7 hemi magnum, 4.10, manual trans. Rusty but reliable.

Having said that, I love my current truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4x4, tuned and deleted.

ETA: My dumbazz forgot the intent of the post, I shouldn't have put the C10 up there because it wasn't a 4x4. Oh well, it was awesome.
2003 GMC 1500 4wd. Bought new. Put 230k miles on it.

Extent of non-routine repairs was a rebuild in water pump, 2 catalytic converters, and I installed new guage cluster stepper motor. Under $1000 total in repairs over the 9 years I had it.
I’ve got 300,000 miles on 3 different Chevy 5.3 4x4’s. They’ve been incredibly reliable motors that I wouldn’t hesitate buying again. These are 2000-2002. 😀
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve got 300,000 miles on 3 different Chevy 5.3 4x4’s. They’ve been incredibly reliable motors that I wouldn’t hesitate buying again. These are 2000-2002. 😀
Just sold an 06 1500 with the 5 3. Good truck
My 2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 8.1l gas and 6 speed manual is unbeatable. It has 230k miles on it, still pulls hard, drives well. No rice grinder can come close in towing capacity, power, torque, room, comfort, or value.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Get a used Tundra with the 5.7L. You can buy a late 2000's Tundra for $10-14,000. Great Truck and reliable as hell.

That is my experience also.
Probably this one, last of my roo trucks and sold at 42000 kms.

You would have to either purchase from Canada, or do a grey import from Japan.

[Linked Image]
2000 Silverado 5.3. Has about 209,000 on it. It's been a GREAT truck, very reliable; my daily driver. But don't look for one if you have to tow anything.

I would do a direct replacement. If you like that year and the truck was good to you search for a mint low mileage replacement. They’re out there you have to look for them and you’re going to pay top dollar but I believe they’re worth it. What trucks have been solid for me? My 2001 F350 single rear wheel, 7.3 power stroke is Stella, transmission is the weak link. Now my 97OBS, 350, 7.3 power stroke with a five speed is an animal.
My favorite truck was a 2000 F250 4x4, single cab, long bed.

It was just a simple truck. 5 spd v10 and 4.30:1 rear end. It pulled well.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Probably this one, last of my roo trucks and sold at 42000 kms.

You would have to either purchase from Canada, or do a grey import from Japan.

[Linked Image]
That truck would out last most humans :-) keep it out of the salt :-)
Several Silverados, but the best two, a 2019 and 2023, both 1500, both 6.2 motors.
02 dodge cummins. That sucker was awesome.

I don't believe GM ever stuck the Allison behind the 6.0 Vortec, but I could be mistaken. I had one behind the 8.1 motor in a 2001 3500. I believe you had a 4L80E. Great trucks regardless. I still have a 2003 1500 with close to 330,00 miles on it. My daughter is using is to move this weekend.
Still driving 1996 f250 I bought 27 years ago. 135,000 miles.
2009 TRD Sport. Great smaller truck. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler now. More fun but less practical.
picked up a Silverado HD Duramax earlier this year. Mileage was 140K. I put in a new headliner, but everything else is fine. 23.5 miles/gallon on the road and runs like a brand new truck.
a 1997 F250 4x4 4-speed 4:10's 7.3 PS.. Tough sob..
It will be hard to find a used Silverado Duramax or Ram Cummins that any owner would be parting with willingly these days. Just keep looking if a 3/4 ton is what you want.
This 2006 F350 was a darn good truck for about 10 years, then it started to nickle and dime for another 6 years. Traded it for a Dodge 3500 Cummin.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have a 2006 duramax with about 270,000 and a 2005 half ton 4.8 shortbed singlecab no power anything or even cruise work truck, about to turn over 100,000, it was a supervisor's mine truck I bought 3 years ago with 72,000 on it.

Kent
Tundra Rock Warrior.
2000 Dodge with Cummins
1997, Dodge Ram, 5.9 Cummins, with 5 speed manual. The 5 speed was the only “weak-link” in the system, it “spit” the overdrive gear off of the output shaft three times. After the 3rd. time, it was welded on…..it stayed put after that! 😉

That said, pretty happy with our 2007 Ram with 6.7 Cummins…..more than enough power, decent fuel mileage. Comfortably drags our 20K pound 5th wheel ( near 14’ at highest point) will give near 10 mpg (or slight above) when I drive conservatively and don’t fight any wind!The two negatives……the dual-mass flywheel/clutch and the government mandated emissions crap! memtb
Toyota, next question?

Next question? Ok, why? As for me, I have a truck much like the OP's truck. it is a 2005 GMC 2500 diesel / Allison.. I have 308,000miles on it... My repairs have been a transfer case at $1500 with 158K on it. A wiring harness fuel cooler, break lines and a few other things. I still have the original front end parts, except for 2 , original alternator, fuel pump, pawer steering , and even have on original caliper and rotor. I just replaced the calipers on the front at 307,000 mi. The muffler system is original, never had a problem with the transmission , or back axle. I still have the original shocks, but pretty sure it is time to replace them. Many talk about Toyota, and sure they are very good. However, there is very little co complain about with my truck. I am sure it rides better than ay Toyota too. A mechanic I knew from church says Toyota and Honda are almost always less repairs , but went with a GMC Suburban cause of the ride. GMC makes a great truck. My boss always jabs me about GMC taking money. He's a Ford guy and bought a Ford150 . He is not jabbing me anymore cause he dumped $60,000 and it is one stupid little thing after the next. I dont think you can beat a GMC. Toyota may be better , but I dont think they ride as good.
I can't do without a 8' bed.
My wife and I went looking at the dealer. really to kill some time. I saw a F350 crew XLT that had everything I like on it. My wife pulled me over to look at a King Ranch. She said get this one, if I'm going to drive it to town. Jesus, the $$$$ they want for that truck. It was nice. We drove it. The seats are as good as my Lazy Boy.
Early Bronco with a Cleveland.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
picked up a Silverado HD Duramax earlier this year. Mileage was 140K. I put in a new headliner, but everything else is fine. 23.5 miles/gallon on the road and runs like a brand new truck.
So it’s the best just because you bought one this year?
My 96 Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4l V6 was without a doubt the best truck I have owned. Sold it at 200k miles being young and dumb. Wish I had kept that that thing.
Probably not for you, but my 2000 Tundra 4X4 has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. No longer my daily driver, so still not quite 200,000 miles on it. Great for hunting purposes and hauling up to about 1000#. Serviceable for towing, but with my boat (a little over 5000# with trailer, gear, and a full tank of gas), the little 4.7L V8 manages only about 6-7 mpg, and there is never even a moment that I am not fully aware that it's back there.
The best 4x4 I owned in the early 2000s was my 1978 Ford F150 with a 400 and a 4 speed. The truck was a beast. I had a 12,000 lb WARN winch on the front and it was a hell of an elk hunting truck. But I rolled it in 2002 and bent the frame. It was sold as a parts truck after I took the winch off. Drove a 2002 Ranger until 2019 when a moron texting and driving broadsides me and totaled the truck. I also have a 2006 Ford F-250 with a bulletproofed 6.0 diesel that I got in 2010 and that is my daily driver now.
'99 ford's been a good'un....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We have two 4WD pickups made in 2000, a Toyota Tacoma and a Ford F350 with club cab and the V10 gas engine. Both are still running fine--though we have only averaged a little over 6000 miles a year on the Ford, since it's a special-use truck for hauling stuff, whether our 20-foot camper trailer or a defunct bull moose. Bought them both used with around 50,000 miles on 'em in 2004. Might have to replace one sometime, but so far so good.
JB do you use the 20 ft camper on hunting trips? 1 or 2 axle? ..mb
Originally Posted by gunzo
Toyota, next question?

Toyota has never made a pickup that could out haul or out tow a 2500HD Chevy. Apples & peanuts comparison. Maybe great trucks on their level but they're not yet on board with American 3/4 tons.
Toyota has never aimed at the heavy duty market. They build and market to suburbia. They've never made a 3/4 ton or a diesel and they say they don't intend to. They sell a huge number of very good pickups to those who don't need to haul or tow heavy loads.
The best one is the one you like and get lucky enough for it to be reliable for years. Stick with what works for you. Opinions are like azzholes. The big three all make good trucks as does Toyota. Fan boys will preach though.
I went to Dodge in 2012 from Ford, no regrets, my diesel is the 12, got 90-k, runs and pulls great, no Def, won’t get rid of it, 2013 Power Wagon, 86-k , 456 rear end, I can pull 12 to 13 K stock trailers with it just fine, it will climb a wall, 2011 F-250 feed trk , work horse, 1500 lb cake box full, with 1600 pound hay bales, in the mud and snow, at 30-k no problem, older trucks on ranch just for checking cows are Fords, I don’t want any new stuff
If you don't need a heavy hauler. The GM 5.3L 2005 and earlier, pre AFM were good engines. My 2005 Z71 Silverado had 198,000 on it before a youngster on a cell phone hit me head on. Those early full time V8s were good ones.
I'm still driving it........a 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab. It will be in my estate sale.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

THIS^^^^ If you don't want to work on it all the time. They age well.
2004 Chevy silverado. 5.3. Bought it in 06, and other than the normal routine things like a couple rotors, brakes, a set of ball joints, battery, etc, I never touched it. I believe I changed plugs and coil packs at somewhere over 100,000 just because it was getting that time. Mechanically as good a truck as I ever owned. Recent hail storm totaled it.
Originally Posted by Brazos
F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke.

I've had my 99 F250SD 7.3L for 22 years now and 300K. Just an regular cab XL with 6 speed manual. Great pickup, doesnt ride great or pull as well as the newer stuff. However, it always gets the job done.

Still own it. 2006 Tundra bought new. It’s been flawless, literally. At 140k now. Just put another set of BFG AT’s on it. It’s not a heavy-duty truck but it does what I ask of it. Tows my 20’ boat just fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

06 Ram w/5.9 Cummins. It gets some 6000 miles a year, pushing 100k now. Only ever had two issues with it. The first was when I got a bunch of water in the fuel in Driggs, ID about 8 yrs ago. Ended up screwing up the injectors and FI pump. The other was a broken wire to the waste gate solenoid. That took quite a while to trace out the break. Turned out to be just under the fuse box and was intermittent and seemed to alway be working when I would try to find it. There was a nick in the insulation probably from when it was originally installed. A kitten pinhole allowed the wire to corrode and break internally.

Well, there’s a third. All solid axle trucks are cursed with it eventually. The death wobble they all seem to develop around 85k. A new set of EMF ball joints cured that. Replacing them was a PITA though.

I’ll keep it for another 15 years too.
Ford F-250 Super Duty with 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo. Still have it btw.
'05 K1500 standard cab long box 4x4 with the 4.8 and a 5 speed has been my daily driver since new. I've been toying with the idea of replacing it for the last 8 years. Maybe when it hits 100 k I'll get serious about a new one.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 litre Cummins. Only had 40k when I sold it. Paid $34,500 new sold it for $22,500 in 2017. Sometimes I realy miss it, especially since it's replacement is now $85k.
This summer we drove a road from Phillipsburg MT, Rock Creek road I believe. That is one rough road to get to some fly fishing areas.
The Tundra was the most popular pickup by a huge margin. Then the Tacoma, then Fords, Chevy and a couple of Rams, oh and one Titan.
This

Bought this '02 Chebby new in '02

Almost bought the Duramax.....For $7K plus extra.......decided on the 6.0L gasser

Still have it and just turned a well maintained 141K miles

Been a good one

06 Chevy 1/2 ton. 250k and still kicking ass. Used it way harder than I should have at times, but most of its life it was the wife's rig.
My little safe queen. Daily driver from May-November.

2003 F350 with the amazing 6.0 Power Stroke, it's lived a life of 185k pampered miles.

Originally Posted by SamOlson
My little safe queen. Daily driver from May-November.

2003 F350 with the amazing 6.0 Power Stroke, it's lived a life of 185k pampered miles.

Where's the other two doors ?

WTF over ?

2010 Nissan Frontier 4WD. Great work truck. The girlfriend and I drove the little Nissan to Yellowstone 2 years ago, she said on a long trip the Jap truck is more comfortable than her Lexus.
'04 Tacoma TRD Club cab.

Bought it used in '06 W/18,000. miles on it.

It now has 199,000.

BEST truck I've ever owned!

Virgil B.
2003 tundra. 194,000 miles and no problems
© 24hourcampfire