Home
Posted By: ldholton which gun? - 11/11/23
when I was young I used to always try to shoot a deer with every gun I had that was of acceptable chambering..

well think time is went by things that went awry on that idea so I have so many choices

this year I've narrowed it down to three different guns that I've never shot a deer with..
what does the collective campfire say I should use

first choice AR 6.5 Grendel topped with a Oculus 4 to 14 lighted center dot very similar to Leupold firedot ... shoots extremely well would be shooting 123 ELD.

second choice Ruger American 6.5 Grendel topped with cabela's/meopta 3x9x40 shooting the same load of 123 ELD's

or Ruger American the limited run of eight twist barrels converted to an AI magazine. topped with the Arkin epl-4-16x44 would be shooting 88 grain elds..

this is partly for the true input and partly for entertainment I'm going to take one of these trees for opening weekend here in Missouri and see what happens...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
You need a .257 Roberts.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Better grab that 30-30.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
The ruger American with the Meopta scope. I was not a fan of solid copper Barnes bullets in the 6.8 which I believe has similar velocity as the grendal just did not seem to have enough velocity to make the bullet expand properly.
Posted By: Viper225 Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
My vote would be for the Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel. Why not the AR you ask. I really hate to loose any brass that is not 223. I am on hold getting my 6.5 Grendel AR running. Waiting on my Compass Lake Barrel. Should have it around February.

The wife is taking her Howa 1500 Mini in 7.62x39 shooting Speer 130 HP-V bullets this morning.
I am taking my Nosler M48 Pistol in 6.5 CM, shooting 120 ELD-M Bullets.

Bob R
Posted By: 160user Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Don't you own a model 70?
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
I have a Ruger One B in 3006 that I killed a nice 8pt in the early 90's and its been sitting in my safe ever since and I have a Remington 7600 in 3006 that I haven't ever hunted with, I keep thinking that I should use one of them this year and take my Remington 700 7x57 for backup.
I'm not familiar with the 6.5 Grendel
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
I would take the 1908 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
Posted By: RiverRider Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Of the three rifles listed, I'd probably take the one that has the optic I think is best suited for the area I would hunt.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
I'd have to get damn hungry to hunt with any of those guns.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
This is the dumbest humblebrag thread I have ever read.
Posted By: ldholton Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You need a .257 Roberts.
I have one that's already shot a lot of deer.
Originally Posted by 160user
Don't you own a model 70?
I do own exactly one in a 338 win mag
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
no I've got lots of other choices. but you sound like some of them guys when you go to a (in my case) silhouette match and they start critiquing everybody's equipment they usually end up very low on the list in scores..

but I'll bite what's so wrong with any of them three..
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
This sure turned into a pizzin' contest quickly.
Posted By: viking Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Yep azzhats always come along.

Fella I knew in Texas swears by a Hornandy load. 123 or 129 grain.
Originally Posted by viking
Yep azzhats always come along.

Fella I knew in Texas swears by a Hornandy load. 123 or 129 grain.
well this morning I chose the Grendel AR, took me less than an hour to have a deer hanging off the tractor in the barn lot. and I shot a 123 ELD which I kind of was hesitant on ,but worked perfectly, so this evening I might just take the 22-250 route..
Speaking of the 22-250, does anyone make a fast twist yet?
Speaking of the 22-250, does anyone make a fast twist yet?
This Ruger American was a special run for Whittaker guns is an eight twist I shoot 88 grain ELDs .

it's my understanding I think Tikka makes an eight twist 22 250
According to Sportsman’s warehouse, Ruger makes a 1/10 and Tikka a 1/8 yet.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I know it's the wrong gun but it works. W Varmintmaster w Leopold and 55 or 60 gr Hornady interlocks work in the wrong twist.

Getting old, good i don't even have to remember the twist. Wish it had a 2 inch shorter bbl.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Rapier Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Congrats on a successful deer hunt with your AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: which gun? - 11/11/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

LOL.
According to Sportsman’s warehouse, Ruger makes a 1/10 and Tikka a 1/8 yet.
correct the predator model 22-250s are a 10 twist. the one I have was a special run with a stainless barrels made for Whittaker guns and they had an eight twist.. you should be able to Google that information right up.. it was a big talking point right here on the campfire a few years ago..
Originally Posted by Rapier
Congrats on a successful deer hunt with your AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel.
thank you nothing special I'll get a picture up when I get enough signal.. but it is the first deer I killed with a Grendel cartridge and an AR..
Posted By: Viper225 Re: which gun? - 11/12/23
I mentioned earlier using the bolt so you did not lose your brass.
Well my brother was tracking a buck and called me, and I went to assist with my 300 HAM'R AR15. I ended up losing Five pieces of 300 HAM'R brass. OH WELL.

Seen a wall hanger this evening about 4:30. Too far out to try a shot with the Nosler M48 Handgun in 6.5CM. He was chasing a doe, then ended up going away from me chasing another buck off. I had seven does in sight from 4 PM until dark.

Congratulations on a successful hunt.

The wife bagged a doe this morning. She still has One Any Deer Tag left. She was using a Howa 1500 Mini Action in 7.62x39, shooting 130 Speer HP-V Bullets. That was her second deer with that rifle.

Bob R
© 24hourcampfire