Home
Posted By: stxhunter who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/08/12
this summer, like to get an idea who's interested.
I will certainly be in if work doesn't get in the way! You guys had WAY too much fun last summer!

Ed
Posted By: mudhen Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/08/12
Keep me in the loop, if you would. I haven't fished in the surf for many years and would like nothing better than to hang out with you guys for a day or two.
Thanks Rog, count me in too cool
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/08/12
Already have the new tent/cot, so I'll be there.
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/08/12
Would love to join in with ya'll but June is a bad time for me.
Muy Bueno, count me in smile
I haven't fished there in 10 years, would LOVE to try to make it
3:40am getting ready for work i'll get with you guys this evening and we can start working out details.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/08/12
Hope I'm not too late for my stretch of beach!

we need to try and come up with a date, i like July but June or August would work as well.
It took me a minute to figure out the PINS means Padre Island National Seashore. (I mention it in case anybody else didn't know.)

I'd love to come. I fondly remember surf fishing Padre Island back when I was in pilot training in 1970. We'd drive over from Laredo on a Friday afternoon to fish, camp, drink beer and stare longingly at the bikini parade... Then drive back Sunday in time to get paid for yanking and banking jets around the sky.
Posted By: mudhen Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/09/12
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we need to try and come up with a date, i like July but June or August would work as well.
Our Quemado Campfire gathering is scheduled for mid-July. Either June or August would work better for me, but you should just pick a date when the fishing is going to be good.
Roger, I'm definitely interested, but June will be iffy and July is definitely out for me.
august and even Sept are prime fishing months. the two big tournaments are held end of august first weekend of Oct. surf is full of bait fish during that time period.
Originally Posted by Mako25
Hope I'm not too late for my stretch of beach!

Flip ya for it! grin

Ed
I'd love to join the party if I can. Several things already scheduled this summer so would depend on when the deal comes off.
I'd have to get somebody to hold my hand if I get there because I don't know the first thing about surf fishing. Boat yes shore no.
all you have to do is show up. Albert and I will have the fishing end under control.
Sounds like a winner. Keep me in mind when things get shook out.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/09/12
all you have to do is show up. Albert and I will have the fishing end under control.

BCR, the above is a very true statement.

to damn hot here that time of the year, but then you never know....
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/09/12
Originally Posted by rost495
to damn hot here that time of the year, but then you never know....

Well this is the beach with the beach breeze. Was hot, we made shade, great food cooked on a grill, sleep all you want when you want. No one left early put it that way. The fish were caught right off the beach by wading out some. The 1000 yard lines didn't catch anything this trip except a 200 lb turtle. One of the protected kinds. Beach bunnies swarmed us on there ATV's.
I know... went with Roger in September when it was much better weather...

I just don't care for anything about 90 degrees plus, humidity that fogs my glasses and sand in my drawers... guess i could run commando though.

I like the beach in the winter when I wear a jacket and nice waders....

Still doesn't mean I won't make it, would love to, but have to really talk hard to go to more heat and humidity than what I have at home...
so looks like 11 so far
^
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/10/12
So a month needs to be picked. I'm open--June to Oct.
I'm thinking august. winds are usually lighter and driving conditions are better.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/10/12
That's good.
some videos of last summers trips

campfire trip last june.

tiger shark Albert caught last august

I might be able to come. I have a cousin that lives in Mathis, Texas that I need to go see anyway. miles
cool.
If Gordon will suffer me as tent mate, and El T will catch and cook me another shark I imagine I could drag down again. Someone who attended the first outing with some artistic talent (OK, talent optional) should come up with a design for my newest club suggestion: 'Turtlegirls Forever'. Or maybe 'Turtlegirls Unlimited'. Being that we're conservationists and wildlife fans, naturally.

The fishing was nothing to write home about, but with the kind of company that will show, it's worth it despite the fishing. The time was one for many, myself included, for quiet reflection, deep introspection and some mental healing. A very Zen-like experience it was.

Click image for video.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/11/12
KG, was a great weekend. I did give that tent to birdy, but we will figure out a bed for you. I got one of those tent/cot deals like Roger has to try this trip. You will have a bed somewhere even though you stay up all night and don't sleep more than 4 hours out of 24. laugh

I might get to surf fish the Joisey coast in June.
Originally Posted by mudhen
but you should just pick a date when the fishing is going to be good.

No pressure tho.

We'll prob be there a little early, but PROPS to the MAYOR of PINS.

Knock 'em dead, Roger.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
KG, was a great weekend. I did give that tent to birdy, but we will figure out a bed for you. I got one of those tent/cot deals like Roger has to try this trip. You will have a bed somewhere even though you stay up all night and don't sleep more than 4 hours out of 24. laugh

Thanks, buddy. If I come again, I'll have too much fresh seafood to haul to bring my own tent...

wink
I'll pick up another tent cot you can use, been meaning to buy another.
Man, that looks like a good time.
This was the biggest thing caught that weekend:

[Linked Image]

Woulda like to have caught something decent myself, but it was certainly interesting; first big sea turtle I have ever seen up close...
I haven't been there in a long time, these guys are 24 and 21 now, but the fishin' was good in January.......44"

[Linked Image]
and that was a Juvenal turtle.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/11/12
Wouldn't it be fun to get those fellas in on this venture?

*that, is a true BULL red*
Once the date-certain has been established I'm going to notify work I'll be takin' a few days off.

For those interested, one thing we didn't get accomplished last year was to fish the southern end of the beach. That trip would be 'bout 3-4 hours off road, and the demands on fuel in that sand caught me off gaurd - something that won't happen again. I plan on making that trip, as I'm told the fishing is spectacular.
I know Birdie was disappointed in not being able to make that jaunt, and I aim to make it up to him.

That leaves me room for three others, and you're all invited - first come, first serve.

edit: or "ya'll, are invited" >grin<

just rebuilt the front end on my truck and fixed the reservoir on the radiator a while back.I'll carry extra fuel this time. if driving conditions are good we won't burn as much fuel as last summer.
Glad to hear the Dodge is ready 'n' rearin'.

In my head I was thinkin' "it's only sixty miles down, then back, little over a quarter tank." Yeah, right, at sixty mph on asphalt! At 15 mph locked in four wheel drive, workin' against hub-deep sand, the fuel goes quick! Lesson learned, and I too will have some extra fuel 'cause I aim to see the inlet at the far southern end.

Birdie claims there's feathered creatures there that only a few men have ever laid eyes on. Flesh-eaters with wing spans that darken your vehicle with their shadow while sailing overhead. I think he's full of it, but he is pretty sharp!
albert and i are going to catch a few of these tonight.

[Linked Image]
changed my mind, its getting cold outside.
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/12/12
Cold? It was 9� here today with -8� windchill. That is just brisk! grin but it is a dry cold laugh

I got to make it to a PINS fishing event with you guys...one of these days..need to shake a bunch of hands with the good guys here.

I'll be at Pat's in about 11 days
I would love to try and surf fish, never have, not sure I could make it this summer tho, see what you guys come up with and see what work has in store!
John
I intend to attend.
i was hoping so wouldn't as fun without ya.
^
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/12/12
OK, any of the attendees have a weekend in August they would like to see this trip take place. That's a drive down Thursday camp, fish until the group is tired or Sunday?

Oh and eat some good beach cooked food.
any date y'all work out will be fine with me, shouldn't have a problem being off since my boss Greg will be going.
Any time in August is also fine with me.
any date y'all work out will be fine with me, shouldn't have a problem being off since my boss Greg will be going.

Anytime from Aug 16th through Labor Day weekend is good for me.

Ed
Posted By: Mako25 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/12/12
Anytime from Aug 16th through Labor Day weekend is good for me.

Then the 17th-through Labor Day it is! >grin<

Tell the Postmaster to forward the mail.
As far as I know at the moment August anytime is jake for me. Assuming I am still alive then. wink
Posted By: badger Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/13/12
Dammit, I really want to do this, but I have so much other stuff to do this year shocked
I'll try again this time Roger. If work don't get in the way,I'm there. It would be good if the date was set in stone pretty quick though.
How far down the coast from where you leave the concrete will the camp be?
where we camp just depends on driving conditions and finding a good looking spot in the surf.could be anywhere from 5 miles to over 40.
My plan is to buy a Jeep sometime this summer so I'll be driving to the camp. My old Chevy is getting pretty tired.
I'd really like to take my son down there to catch something more than sheepheads and black drum.
Like I said earlier. The quicker that the dates get firmed up,the better it's gonna be to plan this thing.
Posted By: ribka Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/13/12
Who is goingbto swim the shark baits out past the surf?

when I fished the PINS that was my job because I was a Yankee.
Some big fish to be caught down there.
Albert, me and probably a couple others will kayak them out.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/13/12
Originally Posted by ribka
Who is goingbto swim the shark baits out past the surf?

when I fished the PINS that was my job because I was a Yankee.
Some big fish to be caught down there.

Kayak, kayak, kayak, not swim a 1,000 yards. The strong young ones do this. We sit back and watch. You should see these guys and the rigs they have. Bet they have $1,500 at least in each rod, reel and 3,000 yards of line.

so how does the 23-26 of august sound ?
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/14/12
sounds good to me. This will give Bart time to get on the office board for vacation.
I'll bookmark those dates. I plan to fly down, so I'd need a ride from/to the Corpulent Critters airport. There's time enough to arrange that.
i can pick you up.
And I can share a ride from Houston.

I'll pencil that on the calendar. My old Ford 150 while it is 4wheel drive has mud tires on it. Don't know how it would do in beach sand. Probably dig in deep as it jumps around pretty good in the sugar sand around here. confused
you'll be fine, we'll have plenty of trucks and tow ropes to pull anyone out that might get stuck. driving conditions were horrible last summer and no one got stuck.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/15/12
I run muds on my Jeep. Never got stuck.

Any problems Roger had was cause he was pulling a 18' flatbed with a million LBs. on it. His Dodge did great. Mako pulled part of the way out (the trailer) he did fine also.
Lots of traffic out there. 5,000,000 college girls in/on ATV's or side by sides every 30 mins or so looking for turtles on the beach.
It was egg laying time in June.
HoooKay gentlemen. I'll take your word for it as I don't know an won't pretend to. Now we'll just see how the deal shake out.
Are we required to fish or can we just visit and have a good time? miles

It's now on my calendar!

Ed
Miles, if it's anything like the Wyoming get-together last summer, you will only be required to have fun - and how you do that will be up to you.
miles you can just kick back and relax if thats what you want to do, its usaully what i do when i have someone to watch the rods.

got to watch that tide!!

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

Sportfishing

Sharkathon, a Catch-and-Release Tournament

www.extremecoast.com

Winner of the 2008 Sharkathon Tournament, Kid's Division

Fishing has been one of the biggest attractions to Padre Island, long before its designation as a national seashore. Visitors may fish along the entire length of the Gulf of Mexico beach, in the Laguna Madre, and at Yarborough Pass and Bird Island Basin. To fish anywhere within the park requires a valid Texas fishing license and a saltwater stamp, which are only sold outside of the park at any local gas station or tackle shop.

Wherever you choose to fish, please stay safe and fish so that your fishing lines and other equipment do not pose a risk to the safety of other visitors. Please be alert to the presence of people and vehicles on the beach or in the water, and remember to park on the beach where you will not block traffic.

All Texas fishing laws apply at the National Seashore. For detailed information on saltwater regulations and bag limits in Texas, follow this link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's website.

Please view this YouTube video by Texas Salt Shorts on the national seashore. It has great information on fishing and other aspects of the park. Please click here.

If you are interested in providing specific visitor services in the park, you are required to have a Commercial Use Authorization. Please follow the link or call the Ranger Activities Assistant's Office at 361.949.9239, Extension 33, for an application.

For more information on fishing, contact the Malaquite Visitor Center at 361.949.8068. The park's daily weather forecast is available at 361.949.8175 and includes a brief fishing report on the day's fishing.

Posted By: Mako25 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/15/12

Just a good time, fishin' is always optional.

Here's what I'll be incorporating from the lessons learned from last year.

1) Help stx - he'll try to shoulder the entire load, and never so much as hint that he could use a hand. (heck of a host!)

2) Fill tank before hittin' the shore, and have a couple fives full as well.

3) If you want to catch fish - stay mobile. The socializing is very, very fun, but fish go where they want to.

4) load up on BLOCKS of ice, I'll have a cooler (big 'n') dedicated to blocks, and it'll nurse the smaller cooler(s).

5) Camera. I've never been a buff (or even a user), but that has to change; too many good folks, good times, and memories I'd like to capture for all time.

Posted By: Mako25 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/15/12

I'd say your Rubicon was our safety net. If it got to the point of your Jeep gettin' stuck, we'd have all been screwed.

In all honesty, we some some hard pulling, and gas-sucking sand, but gettin' stuck just never happened to any of us, and every brand of vehicle was represented. (kinda cool).

1) Help stx - he'll try to shoulder the entire load, and never so much as hint that he could use a hand. (heck of a host!)

3) If you want to catch fish - stay mobile. The socializing is very, very fun, but fish go where they want to.

4) load up on BLOCKS of ice, I'll have a cooler (big 'n') dedicated to blocks, and it'll nurse the smaller cooler(s).

5) Camera. I've never been a buff (or even a user), but that has to change; too many good folks, good times, and memories I'd like to capture for all time.

Add...just roll around in the sand when you get there and get used to it, fighting it will just make you sandy AND tired.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Add...just roll around in the sand when you get there and get used to it, fighting it will just make you sandy AND tired.

Spray on sun block, not rub on.

By all means, help the cooks and host.

I'd say your Rubicon was our safety net. If it got to the point of your Jeep gettin' stuck, we'd have all been screwed.

In all honesty, we some some hard pulling, and gas-sucking sand, but gettin' stuck just never happened to any of us, and every brand of vehicle was represented. (kinda cool).

The gas sucking sand did happen at times, but most of the drive was normal beach driving hard packed sand. 40 mile out was plenty of driving to camp for me. I will bring an extra 5 gal also.
I filled up when I got to Corpus, and had plenty of fuel left when I left the island, although I did not pull a trailer, and ran 2wd when I could. I have Michelin AT2's on my F150, which are only slightly more aggressive than pure street tires, and it was never close to getting stuck.

Like last year I'll bring 3-4 good sized coolers full of ice, and other provisions smile

and yes spray-on sunblock was important, when Petey's cajones got sunburned grin
I'm going to get some blocks of dry ice, and will take the trailer only if the driving conditions are really good.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It took me a minute to figure out the PINS means Padre Island National Seashore. (I mention it in case anybody else didn't know.)

I'd love to come. I fondly remember surf fishing Padre Island back when I was in pilot training in 1970. We'd drive over from Laredo on a Friday afternoon to fish, camp, drink beer and stare longingly at the bikini parade... Then drive back Sunday in time to get paid for yanking and banking jets around the sky.

It took me til your post to know we are not going to surf some place called fish pins
I drive an '06 2WD Toyota Tundra, running Michelien AT2's.

Should I hop a ride with a 4WD rig or will mine make it without spending all four days getting towed out?

Ed
just depends on the driving conditions, I've seen a vette at the Mansfield jetties once.thats 65 miles down.
Gotcha. I will also be bringing a large cooler and will fill it with appropriate ice/dry ice when I hit Corpus.

Ed
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/16/12
Not today but giving the addresses of the dry ice stores or whatever would be nice Roger. Not sure where in the burg you live in would be a good place to go and buy.
just depends on the driving conditions, I've seen a vette at the Mansfield jetties once.thats 65 miles down.

Are you kidding? That's a hellova long drive in a vette on that sand. You sure they didn't somehow ferry that car out there from Port Mansfield?
Originally Posted by milespatton

OK, y'all heard it; we got a volunteer bait runner, er, I meant adventure extreme kayaker, gang! JK. wink Love to put another face to a name, friend.
Bart there are times when driving on the island is like driving on a paved road, but they are few and far between.
Leighton if you can belly crawl through a mesquite thicket, you can help me paddle baits. you move pretty damn fast for a big guy.
think I'm going try to catch some kings from the yak .

wonder who this could be?

[Linked Image]
Can't be you, there's no Boone & Crockett moustache! grin

Ed
dry ice can be bought at these businesses

Party Barn&#8206;
4301 S Alameda St # A
Corpus Christi, TX 78412

Airgas Southwest
4817 Agnes Street, Corpus Christi, TX
(361) 882-2531 &#8206; �

C C Pure Water & Ice Co
10236 Leopard Street
Corpus Christi
(361) 242-9410
i usually go to the party barn the others are on the other side of town, from where i live.
Leighton if you can belly crawl through a mesquite thicket, you can help me paddle baits. you move pretty damn fast for a big guy.

I make it a point to save energy up over the course of months at a time so as to be able to move fast during the time or two a year I am required to move in an expedient fashion.

You should've seen us as kids when we used to incite the local constabulary into foot chases. We'd utilize subway tunnels, rooftops, back stairwells, parking lots, fire escapes and alleys as recreation. Speed factor grows exponentially in correlation with penalty levels if caught. like rabbits, we were. One guy in particular had a serious desire to pinch me, as I was a real bastard to him. Bobby Donovan, with a big handlebar mustache and biceps like cannonballs. He never did catch me. Years later, he went out of his way to comfort my mother at the ICU after my wreck that very nearly took my life. When I learned of what he did, I went to his home and thanked him, and apologized for the trouble I'd caused over the years. He was old school and said something like, "If you ever tell anyone this I'll call you a liar, but I know the game well. We played it with the Boston cops as kids too. They never caught me either. Glad you made it, kid. Now get the fark out of my house and go do something nice for that poor mother of yours." The first cop I actually came to respect and admire.
^
my wife and i have been reading this thread with great interest, as we have a place down near there.

someone please recap all these pages, as to when, meet where, and bring what.
camping i take it, we'll drive down in the H2, and bring coolers, with food, and block ice.
the weather should suck for me at least, hot and humid, i'm sure.
we do have a few surf rods. a tent, and related camping items, sunscreen !, and lots of fluids.

we wanna take a few trips this year, so looks like this may fit in just fine for one of them.
august 23-26 that will give us 2 full days of fishing, we'll meet up at the pavilion on the national sea shore on Thursday. I'll probably get camp set up, then drive back to meet folks and pick up anyone from the airport i need too.
okay, thanks.
pot luck food, or to each their own ?

wife says that'll work, as we need to check on her dad by brownesville, and the house.

going to make bbq and leighton will be bringing lobsters, so seafood one evening, I'd bring stuff to make sandwiches and snacks.
okay. any idea on how many committed yet ?
I'll have to count but i think around 15, plus my fishing buddy's from here who will help me with everything.
looks like 16 with a couple of those being maybe's
got a question for everyone, would it be a problem to move the date up to the 16th - 19th. I didn't realize that school starts on the 27th
August 16th-19th? okay for me.
16-19th also works for me!

Ed
^
Posted By: NH K9 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/23/12
That's before Connor goes back to school. If you haven't reached your damnyankee quota yet, I'm gonna try to put this together. I'm not sure about Pat's influence on Connor, though...... grin

George
COOL, i want to take my boy as well is why i wanted to move it up a week.
Originally Posted by NH K9
That's before Connor goes back to school. If you haven't reached your damnyankee quota yet, I'm gonna try to put this together. I'm not sure about Pat's influence on Connor, though...... grin

George

George, you're not a damnyankee yet. Merely a yankee. Damnyankees come to the south and never leave... grin

I hope you can make it.

I am going to get to learn how to surf fish the Gulf! I don't care if I catch anything, I'm going to have a great time!

Ed
Roger,

What time on Thursday, the 16th, the are you thinking of meeting at the pavillion at P.I.N.S.?

I'll be driving in from Galveston that morning.

Ed
i guess around noon. I'm going to head down and find a spot to set up camp then come back to meet everyone, also need to figure what time I'll have to pick up who ever is flying in, probably just play it by ear.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/23/12
I am going to get to learn how to surf fish the Gulf! I don't care if I catch anything, I'm going to have a great time!

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Roger, IIRC your boy is in his teens? Any younger kids besides, potentially, mine (besides Powell)?

George
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 02/23/12
got a question for everyone, would it be a problem to move the date up to the 16th - 19th. I didn't realize that school starts on the 27th

That's a wedding weekend for me. Friends son. You guys have a good weekend of fishing.
well we can do it on the 23, I'll just let Ryan miss the first day of school.
couple of my local buddy's will probably bring their kiddos.
well we can do it on the 23, I'll just let Ryan miss the first day of school.

Would not ask that of you Roger.
Just happens this is one of the few weekend the whole summer where we got a call telling of this upcoming wedding and the invite to come.
Do what works best for the overall group.
we'll just go with the original plan just though I'd throw it out there to see if it would work. he's a good student missing the first day shouldn't matter, doubt they do much the first day any how.
As I said I penciled in that date. Either works for me.
Going to be hard for me to get to Corpus by noon from here. You may have to leave a trail of bread crumbs or something.
no problem we'll be waiting. anyways you can only go north or south and the beach is only 100-200yds wide, hard to get lost.
You don't know me do you. grin
I'm liable to wind up being sacrificed by the Maya or something.
we'll just go with the original plan just though I'd throw it out there to see if it would work. he's a good student missing the first day shouldn't matter, doubt they do much the first day any how.

Ok, Thanks.
They (the kids) use the first day to pick out which girls to chase that year.

BCR, I worried about getting lost also. Successful too. In CC. Once I found the correct road in town, you can't get lost. I think I left DFW at 5 or so in the morning. Hit Austin morning traffic @ 6:30 am north of Georgetown all the way to west of town. This year, will take 16 to I-10 and just hit SA traffic.

When I arrived at the PINS headquarters, they had a real big parking lot. I sat there for awhile, then got the old wanting to move thing. Ran down the road until you hit the beach and all the people, kept going and parked several more miles south waiting and watching for Rogers (blue) dodge. Saw him and had heck catching him going back to the headquarters, but he saw the flashing lights and stopped.
Said just go down the beach about 40 miles, you'll see them. So off I went as Roger went back to the parking lot to wait for the rest of the group.
I found camp, Petey (dog)found me and was very friendly. Others are very nice people (Albert and group).
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
As I said I penciled in that date. Either works for me.
Going to be hard for me to get to Corpus by noon from here. You may have to leave a trail of bread crumbs or something.

I'm in Northwest Houston, you're welcome to catch a ride with me, or follow me, whichever is easier. My first trip last year - I took Hwy 59 Southwest to Interstate 37, then down to Corpus. It's quite easy to get to PINS. I have a 4x4 F150 so can haul a fair amount.
Now that sounds like a winner. Takes me @45 minutes to get to the Woodlands down I45. I was planning on going around Houston and hitting Victoria and go to CC that way.

When it gets closer to ETA I'll pm you and we'll see what we can work out, maybe meet somewehere in the middle. Assuming we are both still alive and the world ain't ended. grin
^
Might be time to ask Rick to "stickie" this, huh?
just sent him a PM
Good idea. Being six months out things bound to change some between now and then.
this is a pic of my buddy Rocky's son. he got the hook in his back when he was flipped off the kayak while paddling out a shark bait. he was back fishing a couple of hrs after getting it removed.

[Linked Image]
Man, that hurts just looking at it!

Rough surf?

Ed
yeah this was couple of yrs ago during the shark a thon tournament in Sept.
^
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/04/12
Question: Tent/Cot: did you put a sheet of plywood or carpet under the legs for support in the sand Roger?
a piece of carpet
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/04/12
Will see about finding one that will fit in my Jeep.
Going to put the old wire basket on back this time so I can carry 5 gal of fuel.

Food?
Brought snacks for the group last time, but felt you and several others got nailed for the big cost stuff (meat, lobster, etc)
Where can I help on that end?
Non cold stuff works best for me due to driving distance and lack of space.
we'll figure it out,those snacks came in handy.
You better between now and then. One thing I won't be is a freeloader. Grates against my nerves or something.
it will be easier for me to get the meat, we're still going to need some lump charcole or some mesquite wood plus drinking water and sodas and what ever beer y'all like.
Roger,

Do you have a roster of possible attendees yet?

I figure we'll be chatting as the time gets closer so we can figure out how much food/beverages we're going to need.

Ed
everyone who is planing on coming send me a PM so i can get a head count.
^
^
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/06/12
PM sent as requested.
i already counted you Gordon.
Don't know if you saw this or not

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog...bluefin+tuna+may+be+biggest+ever+caught/
saw that this mourning. can't believe he's having it mounted. I'd of sold it and gotten a fiberglass replica made.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/06/12
i already counted you Gordon.

It was really a bump to the top deal. laugh
^
^
^
^
Not much talking going on about it so I will talk a little bit. I told my wife I was having trouble deciding whether to go to this shindig, or go to NM to the other one. Her reply was "Why don't you go to both of them". Gotta love it. miles
I'm going to try and make NM, just depends on work won't know till a week or so before. on the fishing trip i did the smart thing and invited the boss so i know I'll be off then.
It would be great if you could make both!

As to fishing on the coast, I have a 7' casting outfit that I used in AK for big river and salt water casting for salmon. Would that work for the type fising we will be doing on P.I.N.S.?

Ed
That will work fine Ed. my buddy's and i will have plenty of bigger rods and tackle for sharks.
Next gear-related question...

Do folks cast spoons, jigs, or what from the surf? Do the better lures mimic specific baitfish?

I am assuming that DuPont Spinners are not Kosher grin.

Ed
spoons work good, jigs like spec rigs are good also. mirr-o-lures .i'm going to take some fish bites . http://www.fishbites.com/
Interesting...I'll have to try to find some before I get there.

Do the local CC tackle shops carry them?

Ed
you can them at wal mart roys bait and tackle http://www.roysbait-tackle.com/ and the HEB in the bluff.
^
Next question...Do I need steel leaders or will mono work?

What are the odds of picking up a shark close by casting from the beach?

Getting closer! laugh

Ed
i use mono but we can make up some small steel leaders.you can catch smaller sharks on mono. i caught a 150# shark on a mono leader once hooked right in the corner of its mouth.
When you're fishing bait for the sharks are you using "J" hooks or Circle hooks?

Ed
we use both but i prefer j hooks.
Can you just wade out and beat the suckers to death with a two pound hammer? grin
BCR, I want to see that!

I've heard the expression "beating the water to a froth" but I've never seen anyone do it. grin

Ed
i know there were a few more who said they'd make it so far i have.

apddsno864
milespatton
wtxj
ltppowel
boggy
texncal
mako25
gamo kari
rockyraab
spattermatic
nh-k9

maybes

mudhen
huntsonora
docrocket
rost495
brotherbart
^
Thanks, Rick, for making this a sticky!

Ed
My thanks too but Lord what a bloody crew. I am starting to get scared. laugh
Since I haven't met any of y'all in person yet, should I be skeered too? laugh

Ed
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/15/12
No we are all friendly's. Have the right tude and wear the correct short pants. grin
I haven't been to a beach since before the Pleistocene, and couldn't handle the gear if I were there, but I'd sho' like to be there to watch you guys have a ball.

But I'm "out," of course. (That's just the way that the Mercedes Benz!)

Be sure, afterwards, to let the rest of us know how it went!
we'll be using bait fish about this size for sharks.

[Linked Image]
Pat came prepared for the big ones last summer.

[Linked Image]
Pat came prepared for the big ones last summer.

[Linked Image]

Wow, today's digital imaging is amazing. The transformation from the old black and white to the HD digitally remastered stuff I really do love. That said, it also shows flaws previously hidden, I see. I mean, ole Andy Taylor there looks just fine, but dayum, Opie? Lad's looking pretty rough if you ask me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep, REAL rough!
I see. I mean, ole Andy Taylor there looks just fine, but dayum, Opie? Lad's looking pretty rough if you ask me...

Dang! I KNEW I'd seen Pat somewhere before.....

....and ya, the kid musta had a rough life....
mike you need to come. i can run you back Saturday evening so you can be back in SA and get rested up for Monday.

[Linked Image]

Sheeit. I wish I'd caught sumptin' dat beeg! eek mad grin

I had to suffer the disgrace of having another man catch something for me to eat. Cooked it for me too. That damned Opie and his southern customs. If this was 100 years ago I'd have had to have disemboweled myself on the beach. Good thing all around, I guess. Petey missed out on what would've been a challenge, though. Bet it'd have taken him a whole day to drag me off and bury me.
took him to get his shots last week . he weights 70# now. had to buy a new collar, he some how managed to bite his old in half while he was wearing it.

he wants his cap back

[Linked Image]
That pinche cabron has stolen from me, damaged or destroyed multiple personal items, tripped me and otherwise has assaulted me, and still he has the balls to beg me to throw some of Roger's stuff for him to destroy.

Hey, all good, but know this: he starts stealing food from me, it's ON.

wink
If this was 100 years ago I'd have had to have disemboweled myself on the beach.

Bait.

We'd think you would have wanted it that way.
[Linked Image]

Man, that's reason enough for me not to go anywhere near you guys, even if I could!

Bait's all that I'd be good for.
Man, that's reason enough for me not to go anywhere near you guys, even if I could!

Bait's all that I'd be good for.

While there's some for who's utility might best fit that function, you sir are not in that category by a long shot cool

On the other hand, there needs to be some sort of understanding going in as to the dispostion of the remains of ANYONE who should happen to pass away while way down there on the beach. I mean, its gotta be at least a seven-hour round trip to go and BUY bait....
Cheaper than the crematorium � and more useful, to boot!

Excellent!
Cheaper than the crematorium � and more useful, to boot!

Hey, takes being an "organ donor" to a whole new level. grin
started going through my tackle today, time to get things ready for some fishing.

[Linked Image]
Roger, does the bait sit on the bottom, ala catfishing, or do you use some sort of float to keep it off of the bottom?

Ed
on the bottom, the shark baits are paddled out anywhere from 3-400 yds to a 1000 yds, but some big sharks have been caught right out of the first gut. we use anywhere from 1-3# of weight to keep them in one spot depending on current.

[Linked Image]
I was getting a bit concerned when I saw those weights in the first set of tackle photos!

I thought we were going to have to cast those things! grin

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I was getting a bit concerned when I saw those weights in the first set of tackle photos!

Shouldn't be all that hard to do � for a guy who bowls over-hand! laugh
I got smaller ones to cast out on the smaller rods 8-10 oz. I'll pick up some even smaller ones.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/19/12
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

We just wade out in the surf with rod and reel and cast, reel line in and cast again. I did not have my rig set up at all like the needs were, so I kind watched the beer a lot under the shade.
Going to get something that'll work for this trip.
I am just waiting for the one in the last group to step in and say this is what you need.
Mine was kind of set up for dropping off a pier and waiting for the fish to bite kind of deal.
So who's wants to talk? whistle

Well, you'll just have to show up and provide instruction!

I'm all out of Grizzly Milk, so you can bring some of that with you too! laugh

Ed

Bring a lactating she-grizzly along, and I'll show you � again � how to milk her. laugh

(Pay attention next time!)
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Bring a lactating she-grizzly along, and I'll show you � again � how to milk her. laugh

(Pay attention next time!)

I apologize, Ken, I was too busy looking over my shoulder to make sure my get-away path wasn't blocked. grin

I'll try harder next time to pay attention. Maybe take a Valium or four before we start, Or drink a half-gallon of Grappa...

Ed
I'd recommend a medium to heavy action spinning outfit or a bait caster like a ambassador 7000-10000 on a 8-10 ft rod 20-30# line, i prefer braid.i also like a 7ft rod and my ambassador 6600c for chunking lures.
I have a 7 1/2" heavy action bait casting rod (my King Salmon rod) with either an Ambassadeur 7000 or an Ambassadeur 6501.

Braid I can do. The reels need new line anyway. grin

What type of swivels do you use? I used Sampos almost exclusively in AK saltwater.

Ed
i use spro swivels. here's a pic of some mirr o lures and soft plastics and spoons

[Linked Image]

you might of noticed white with a red head is pretty popular.
Funny, that same pattern worked best for Ling Cod and for Silver salmon in saltwater, too! grin

I was looking through the saltwater stuff in the new Cabela's in Wichita, KS yesterday and was wondering what I should buy. Now I know.

Thanks for the pics, Roger, some of us old folks need visual clues. grin

Ed
http://www.saltyangler.com/tyler.htm

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 3-16-2012

When I woke up the Saturday morning of the 17th Annual Billy Sandifer Big Shell Cleanup and checked the weather radar at 5:15am on my new Smart Phone my heart sunk. A line of red and yellow stretched from Brownsville to north of Victoria and I just knew the strong gusty winds and numerous rain showers would absolutely kill the number of volunteers we would be getting. Who in their right mind would come out in heavy rain, winds and temps hovering in the upper 40�s and low 50�s? Plenty that�s who! Ranger Buzz Botts and my friend, Tom Berger, were counting the volunteer numbers and cutting out two wheel and four wheel drive autos in the dark and the cold, rainy conditions in the Visitor�s Center Parking lot at Malaquite on the Padre Island National Seashore (P.I.N.S.) early that morning. When Buzz and Tom finished their count, the tally was close to 250 and with the CCA Corpus Christi Chapter of chili cheese dog and lunch brigade volunteers and other NPS support personnel, rangers and maintenance crew added to the total the ranks swelled to 300.

In addition to my fears of the turnout due to the hard rain and cold, no one even knew if there was any beach to drive on. Water to the dunes is our biggest fear in this event. We hold it rain or shine and even have a contingency plan if the water is to the dunes. Luckily we had just enough beach when we started to safely get our groups down south. Billy said to me in the parking lot �This event HAS ALWAYS BEEN IMPOSSIBLE and today more than most!� This is the photo from �Hula Dash Cam� in my �88 Suburban. Half the time we were driving through shallow water as the tide surged high up the beach as the front blew through.

Due to the reduced number of volunteers this year brought on by the foul weather we didn�t make it down as far south as we have in previous years. This year�s effort cleaned a total of 7.5 miles of beach from the 15 to the 22.5 mile mark removing 20 tons of trash from the isolated Big Shell. Thanks to all of you diehard volunteers who made the impossible possible! Thanks to Ainsworth Trucking for their trucks, trailers and drivers, ice and water. Thanks to Daniel Dain and the Corpus Christi Area Dominos, and my CCA pals Candace Tidmore, Rodney Gamez, Big Al, and Roadkill Willie for their lunch service, to Gambler Specialties, my pal and Big Shell Cleanup Chairman, Ace Leal, and his crew and artist Ben Beaty for their work on the t-shirts and Friends of Padre koozies. Thanks to Trac-work Inc. for the gloves, Roy�s Bait and Tackle, Fishbites, Smartshield Sunscreen, HEB, David Sikes and The Caller Times, Texas Saltwater Magazine, Padre Island Moon, The Ruth Parr Sparks Foundation, Stephen and Donna Gregory, CH2MHILL, Spoon�r Lures, Sharkathon, TXAM Pumps, Laura Paul, and Team Industrial Services. Thanks to my friends in the Corpus Christi and Rockport Chapters of CCA for showing up and getting the job done down the beach. Special thanks too to our section leaders and Todd Neahr for taking the helm with �herding cats� in the parking lot with guidance from leader Captain Billy Sandifer. And last but not least, thanks to Captain Ron Behnke and Julie Behnke for their continued gracious coverage of this event in the Saltwater Angler.

It�s Spring Break time and fortunately if you want solitude, you can head to the National Seashore P.I.N.S. early on the weekends to avoid the traffic on the JFK Causeway. The Spring Break crowd doesn�t venture that far south and they don�t get up early. The sargassum is starting to come in and a friend who flies for the Coast Guard posted that there is quite a bit offshore 25 to 40 miles out so don�t be surprised to see it increasing as time goes on. There is also a lot of wood debris washing up on the area beaches south of Bob Hall Pier on down to about the 18 mile mark on P.I.N.S. That most likely came from the recent heavy rains on the Upper Texas Coast. The fishing has been good for whiting, slot and oversized reds and keeper and oversized black drum. In addition expect to catch pompano when the water conditions are right. Jack Crevelle will also be patrolling the area beaches very soon. Use Fishbite and shrimp combos for the reds, drum, pompano and whiting and cut or live mullet or large spoons for the Jack Crevelle if and when they show up. Driving is tough at high tide due to soft sand. Be careful when walking near the dunes because there are numerous hardheads killed by the red tide that can ruin a trip to the beach with a spine to the foot.

Bring out more trash than you take in and enjoy the resource responsibly,

Tyler Thorsen
=================

Tyler will probably be fishing with us.
Thanks for posting that!

Makes me wonder if my 2WD '06 Tundra will make it! laugh

I don't think my lovely bride will let me bring her Kubota Ute, though. frown

Ed
driving is usually better in august sept, also less seaweed.
Did you have to keep Leighton focused on fishing and not picking up seaweed to make homemade Sushi? laugh

Ed
he stayed focused, eat throw a few lures sleep 30 minutes eat, drink throw a few lures, repeat. bet he averaged 4 hrs sleep a day.
What a life! laugh I'm envious! grin

Leighton is my HERO!!!

Ed
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/21/12
We had 3 great cooks also. Leighton, Roger and the LtPat.

A guard dog also. Kept the birds away. Of course guard dog (Pete) got just a little too much sun on the jewels.
I seem to remember something posted about that. Is it Rogers' job to apply sunscreen? laugh

Ed
grin No

Spray on only when you buy some.
Oh you mean the dog jewels whistle

Yes then
Petey and me might hit the beach tomorrow to see what might be biting.
I'm about to drag out my fly rod and see if I can entice something in my ponds to "rise to the occasion". laugh

Ed
We'll be in the surf in the morning as well.
I took my 5wt flyrod out for a bit this evening, just to see if I could knock the rust out of my joints.
Talk about beating the water to a froth! It took several minutes before my timing was good enough to actually tempt a fish into striking! grin

Does the wind ever drop down enough along the coast there to flyfish, or is it a spinning/baitcasting proposition only?

Ed
my brother Jeff fly fishes some, we get some calm days during the dog days of Sept august.
Cool! I'll have to toss the 8wt in the truck, too! grin

Ed
to much sea weed to fish, but it is a beautiful day

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

fish bites

[Linked Image]
No weed here and you couldn't put a hook in the water without catching a redfish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
i didn't get a nibble between picking seaweed off my line. didn't even try and fish with the 4/0s

Roger? Really? You did see him burn the arse out of El T's brother's pot, didn't you? That boy's got some ways to go, yet...

whistle blush grin
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/26/12
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Roger? Really? You did see him burn the arse out of El T's brother's pot, didn't you? That boy's got some ways to go, yet...

whistle blush grin

No didn't see that-----------

whistle blush grin

No didn't see that-----------

Well, it was either Roger, or one of these other SOBs. I tried to remedy the problem, but the damage was already done. All y'all pictured below are suspect. Can't leave some alone for a danged minute, I tell ya...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX031.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX362.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX039.jpg[/img]
Posted By: NH K9 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/26/12
L,

When you start looking at travel arrangement, would you be so kind as to let me know?

George
my brother still has no idea about his pot.
my brother still has no idea about his pot.

Wait, I thought it was El T's brother's pot. Interesting new information. I see we have a TX conspiracy. If that's the case, then these bastids are suspect too. Can't trust anyone these days!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX033.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX030.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX021.jpg[/img]
L,

When you start looking at travel arrangement, would you be so kind as to let me know?

George

You got it, bud. I'll need another Yankee to watch my six anyway. These Texans are a sneaky lot. Pinned all manner of evil deeds on the Asian fall guy...

wink
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 03/26/12
L,

George

You got it, bud. I'll need another Yankee to watch my six anyway. These Texans are a sneaky lot. Pinned all manner of evil deeds on the Asian fall guy...

wink

Good pic guy, never seen most of em.
Oh you mean the dog jewels whistle

Yes then

Should any man ever utter than STX does not love and take tender care of his dogs, I present the following evidence. Take that, haters!

[Linked Image]
L,

George

wink

Thanks. I promised my son a "make up" for the hog hunt. He had several other commitments (sounds silly saying that as he's only 7) and made the correct choice in staying home. This may be my payback.

Good pic guy, never seen most of em.

Huh? I thought I posted most after the trip. Apologies if you never got all of them, Gordon. A few more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX069.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX005.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX410.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX053.jpg[/img]

Thanks. I promised my son a "make up" for the hog hunt. He had several other commitments (sounds silly saying that as he's only 7) and made the correct choice in staying home. This may be my payback.

No problem. Your boy is more than welcome. Will he be interested in taking bribes, I hope? Last time around I think Petey got into the bait cooler in the wee hours. Of course, come sunrise, when it was found that the bait count was light, I got all manner of accusatory glares. I did have a dream that I was turned loose in a sushi bar, but I don't recall having a midnight snack. Chalk it up to unsolved mysteries.

Next time, I can be like, "I don't want to point fingers or anything, but NHK9s boy was around the bait acting kinda' shifty..."

eek grin
He has his price but I'm not sure what the cost of silence would be after the fact.... wink .

You have to remember that Powell has secret kid mojo (white-shirts and kids exist on the same level) and would likely be able to overcome any bribe.

He is a sneakin' little schit, though.....ask Jim.

George
No weed here and you couldn't put a hook in the water without catching a redfish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What a lovely young lady, and good to see she's getting involved. Must be a bit green at the whole fishing thing, though. She wasn't paying attention to the guy holding the fish with locked elbows for the previous shots, obviously. Fish lost about 12 pounds with her holding it that way. But she'll learn soon enough, no doubt! wink

Nice, fat fish, bud. I'm nominating you to find our fishing camp spot next time. smile
He has his price but I'm not sure what the cost of silence would be after the fact.... wink .

You have to remember that Powell has secret kid mojo (white-shirts and kids exist on the same level) and would likely be able to overcome any bribe.

He is a sneakin' little schit, though.....ask Jim.

George

Everyone has their price. You know that. PM me with a list of his favorite toys, and candy. You too.

grin

What a lovely young lady, and good to see she's getting involved. Must be a bit green at the whole fishing thing, though. She wasn't paying attention to the guy holding the fish with locked elbows for the previous shots, obviously. Fish lost about 12 pounds with her holding it that way. But she'll learn soon enough, no doubt! wink

Hmmph...those are all different fish. We just got tired catching them.. 10-35lbs. And George...your son will love it. I'll bring smores. smile

What pot?
the one that developed a hole in the bottom.
Oh...the one I was cooking lobster in. Sorry. wink
to much sea weed to fish, but it is a beautiful day

[Linked Image]

ARE THOSE MY F(*^(&NG SUNGLASSES?!??! DAMN YOU PETEY!

Hmmph...those are all different fish. We just got tired catching them.. 10-35lbs.

Yeah yeah, big deal. I didn't want you boys to get jealous, having a Yankee show y'all up, so I never shared, but I guess if you're bringing it I'll have to show you this bad boy. Caught and released. Some of us are conservationists, y'know.
Check it out. Damned near 9", and that wasn't even my best catch. Birdy saw me with that tarpon type fish. Hell, he must've gone 14". NOW what's up? Yeah, thought so.

[Linked Image]
I thought I'd snagged a clam or something, but pulled that pretty little fish onto the beach, and was happy to add another species to my lifetime catch list. Beaming with what little pride I could muster, since it was all I'd caught, I tenderly brought it over to Roger, prepared to get all philosophical and metaphysical in a conversation about how it's not always the size of the fish, but also the beauty and whatnot.

Me: "Hey brother, check it out! This is a really pretty fish. Not real big, but I'm happy I was given the opportunity to see this neat species. What are they called?"

Roger, who's busy casting, turns and says:

"That there's what we call a shyt shad..."

I slapped that fish silly before whipping him back into the shallows.

Good times.

wink
hey their good bait for big tarpon.
He'd be pretty in an aquarium smile
I was looking at the PINS area and was wondering what these square structures are...

27� 4'18.09"N

97�26'26.91"W
the wind farm? on the kenedy ranch.
ok i think i know what your looking at. their spoil islands in the laguna/land cut.
Here's a link to the location on Google Maps...

Google Maps
yep their man made spoil islands if you zoom in you can see fishing cabins, that area is known as the land cut. they cut the inter coastal channel through there.
Roger,

My neighbor tell me that it's illegal for me to use my metal detector on the beaches down there.

Do you have any info on that?

Ed
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/etpfe

he's correct. there are several old wrecks along the island, the gov don't like to share the treasure.

PADRE ISLAND SPANISH SHIPWRECKS OF 1554

PADRE ISLAND SPANISH SHIPWRECKS OF 1554. On November 4, 1552, fifty-four vessels under Captain-General Bartolom� Carre�o set sail from Sanl�car de Barrameda, Spain. The fleet had been preparing since the previous February and included an armada of six vessels, well armed and carrying 360 soldiers. The armada plus eighteen other vessels were bound for tierra firme (the mainland). There were also ten ships headed to Santo Domingo, four to various other destinations in the Indies, and sixteen for San Juan de Ul�a (Veracruz) in Mexico. These sixteen included the San Esteban (Francisco del Huerto, master), the Esp�ritu Santo (Dami�n Mart�n, master), the Santa Mar�a de Yciar (Alonso Ojos, master, and Miguel de J�uregui, owner, captain, and pilot), and the San Andr�s (Antonio Corzo, master). Of the sixteen ships bound for New Spain, these four and one other were the only ones scheduled to make the round trip; the rest were to be scrapped upon arrival in the New World. This was a common practice since the outbound cargo was much more bulky than the cargo to be returned to Spain, which consisted largely of precious metals that occupied very little space. Of the tierra firme contingent only seven of twenty-four were slated for return. On the outbound trip the fleet was cursed with foul weather, corsairs, and disaster. For instance, the capitana (the ship carrying the captain-general) burned and sank in mid-ocean, leaving over 300 dead and only twenty survivors, among them the captain-general himself. The fleet was scattered before the journey was well begun, and in all, eight ships were lost on the outbound voyage. None of the ships bound for Mexico was among those eight, and arrivals at San Juan de Ul�a occurred between early February and late March 1553. Upon arrival the mariners found a port still devastated from a hurricane in September 1552. Repairs were slow, which resulted in delays in unloading and prevented all but one of the five returning vessels from being ready to depart in time to meet Carre�o in Havana for the return voyage. The San Pedro, one of the first to arrive on February 2, was ready to sail again on May 15 and departed with four ships which had come with a previous fleet. The remaining four ships waited in San Juan de Ul�a for more than a year, hoping to return with the next fleet. However, on April 9, 1554, they sailed independently with Antonio Corzo as captain-general, only about three weeks before the arrival of the New Spain contingent of the next fleet, that of Captain-General Farf�n. The combined cargoes of the four ships had an estimated value of a little over two million pesos or more than $9.8 million (1975 values).

Twenty days later, on April 29, three of the four vessels were lost in a storm on Padre Island. Only the San Andr�s escaped, reaching Havana in such bad condition that it had to be scrapped and its cargo transferred to other vessels for the return to Spain. Approximately 300 people were on the three wrecked vessels. Perhaps one-half to two-thirds drowned before reaching the beach. A small contingent, including the most skillful mariners, probably departed immediately for Mexico in one of the small ship's boats to inform officials of the disaster and organize a relief expedition. The second and larger group of survivors who remained ashore undertook what they mistakenly thought was a short journey back to Mexico along the beach. They ran afoul of the local Indians, and the trek turned into a death march with only one of the survivors, Fray Marcos de Mena, reaching P�nuco. Upon learning of the disaster officials in Mexico promptly organized a salvage expedition, which arrived at the wreck sites within two months of the loss of the vessels. One of the three ships was still visible above the waves, and free-diving salvage workers began recovery operations. The other two wrecks were located by dragging. The expedition raised somewhat less than half of the approximately 1,000,000 ducats lost in the three ships. About 41 percent of its cargo was recovered.

When in 1967 a General Land Office field representative officially reported the discovery of a sunken Spanish ship off Padre Island near Port Mansfield, recovery attempts for artifacts from the ship were already in full operation by a private out-of-state salvaging firm; the company, however, did not have a permit to operate within the state. Acting in accordance with a 1960 United States Supreme Court ruling that title to all submerged coastal lands out to a distance of 10.35 miles belonged to the state of Texas, Land Commissioner Jerry Sadler requested the Texas attorney general's office to bring suit against the salvagers in December 1967. The Kenedy County Twenty-eighth District Court granted a temporary injunction in January 1968 to halt further recovery operations and removal of objects. After considerable controversy and confusion over rights of the state, rights of private firms, and the land commissioner'sjurisdiction, the Indiana salvage firm began returning treasure to the state. The firm then filed suit in a federal court against the state actions, and after 1968 several rulings were handed down verifying federal jurisdiction in the case, and an injunction was filed to halt state proceedings in the original suit. The Padre Island artifacts recovered from the salvaging company were taken first to the General Land Office, then to the Texas Memorial Museum, and in October 1969 to the University of Texas Balcones Research Center (now the J. J. Pickle Research Campus) in Austin. The case remained in litigation until 1984, when Attorney General Jim Mattox and the Texas Antiquities Committee settled, awarding the salvage firm $313,000 while Texas kept the artifacts the firm had recovered from the Esp�ritu Santo.

The find was considered a major discovery by most antiquarians and archeologists and at the time was cited as the earliest Spanish material ever recovered from American waters. Among the 400-year-old objects recovered from the wreck were a small solid-gold crucifix, one gold bar, several silver discs, cannons, crossbows, and three astrolabes. The latter, considered by some to be the most valuable objects recovered, were used in navigation and are extremely rare today. As a result of the difficulties surrounding the salvaging attempts the Sixty-first Texas Legislature passed the Antiquities Bill in September 1969 to fix procedures in artifact-recovery attempts. The bill provided for a committee with the authority for the designation and regulation of archeological landmarks and the protection and preservation of the archeological resources of Texas. Strict limitations were placed on all salvaging and excavation attempted by private individuals or companies. On recommendation of the Antiquities Committee, the Institute of Underwater Research, a privately financed nonprofit organization, was formed in 1970 to locate other sunken ships in the same area as the 1967 find. In addition, the organization was to assist artifact recovery by any properly licensed salvaging company. The institute surveyed an area about twenty-five miles long near Port Mansfield, and sixteen possible sites of sunken Spanish ships were located and mapped for future investigation.

The Texas Antiquities Committee's investigations at the 1554 wreck site, tentatively identified as the San Esteban, began in 1972 with a detailed magnetometer survey and lasted three months with a crew of from five to eight people. Excavations were carried out with a "blower" device similar to a prop-wash deflector which sent a current straight to the bottom, thus eroding the 1.5-meter overburden of sand and shell. The artifacts were exposed lying on a dense deposit of Pleistocene clay. Several large conglomerates were recovered during the first season together with a number of isolated artifacts and small conglomerates. In 1973 investigators returned to the site with an underwater archeological field school. In addition to extensive excavations at the site, a surface survey of the island opposite the wreck sites was carried out in order to locate evidence of the survivors or salvagers' camps. During the 1973 season the remaining major artifact conglomerates were recovered, along with many small conglomerates and isolated artifacts. Over 12,000 kilograms of encrusted artifacts were recovered during the two seasons of excavation. Meanwhile, an archival research team was recovering and translating over 1,000 pages of original documents from various Spanish archives.

Of the hundreds of artifacts recovered from the San Esteban, the most significant for interpretation of the ship itself was the aft section of the keel with part of the sternpost. This is the only major fragment of the ship which survived, but it is a good one to have for size estimates. One consultant placed its length at about twenty-one meters (seventy feet) and displacement at 164 tons, another at thirty meters (ninety-seven feet) and 286 tons. Also recovered were wrought-iron anchors, cannon, tools, ship's fittings and fastenings, and silver coin and bullion. Of particular interest were several items of aboriginal manufacture, including a mirror made from a polished iron pyrite nodule and prismatic blades of obsidian. The silver coin and bullion and a small amount of gold bullion comprised the greatest part of the fleet's cargo, but such perishable items as cochineal, hides, and wool were also being shipped to Spain. The collection from the San Esteban is housed in the Corpus Christi Museum. The third wreck, the Santa Mar�a de Yciar, was destroyed in the 1950s when the Port Mansfield Channel was dredged.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:

J. Barto Arnold III and Robert S. Weddle, The Nautical Archeology of Padre Island: The Spanish Shipwrecks of 1554 (New York: Academic Press, 1978). Austin American-Statesman, January 26, 1990. Carl J. Clausen and J. Barto Arnold III, "The Magnetometer and Underwater Archaeology: Magnetic Delineation of Individual Shipwreck Sites, a New Control Technique," International Journal of Nautical Archaeology and Underwater Exploration 5 (1976). General Land Office, Treasure Tempest in Texas (1969?). David McDonald and J. Barto Arnold III, Documentary Sources for the Wreck of the New Spain Fleet of 1554 (Austin: Texas Antiquities Committee, 1979). Marjie Mugno, "Padre's Spanish Treasure," Texas Highways, January 1971. Dorris L. Olds, Texas Legacy from the Gulf: A Report on Sixteenth Century Shipwreck Material Recovered from the Texas Tidelands (Austin: Texas Memorial Museum, 1976).

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave it at home then.

I love old maritime history, including shipwrecks.

Ed
Roger, not to hijack the steam of conciousness thread, can those crucifix catfish be caught along PINS?

Ed
yes their considered a trash fish. got to be careful handling them their spines are pretty painful.
Thank you, sir.

I have NO idea what we may catch down there, and don't really care. grin

Ed
never know what you might hook in the surf.
So, is "Fish On" appropriate down here, or "WTF"? laugh

Ed
fish on!
It's like "Right ON, Man"....... "Fish On, Man"!

Alan
never know what you might hook in the surf.

has anyone hooked a great white there in PINS? I notice they are "catch and release" only. I wonder if the sharks know about the rule.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/fish/saltwater_limits.phtml
no but there has been a few makos caught

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Do you tag & release or keep them?

Ed
we tag and release most of them. do keep the smaller blacktips to eat, their real good.
I have a million questions about fishing the Gulf. Better save some of them for the trip. grin

Ed
Roger, don't the new guys have to swim the baits out at night?

Alan
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Roger, don't the new guys have to swim the baits out at night?

Alan

HAHAHA...very funny! There ain't enough tequila in Texas to get me to do that! eek

Ed
we tag and release most of them. do keep the smaller blacktips to eat, their real good.

OH yes black tips are gooood eating IF wink

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 4-13-2012

The Padre Island National Seashore (P.I.N.S) sent out a press release recently regarding the 15 mph speed limit they pushed for last summer when they did their Beach Vehicle Driving Environmental Assessment. The new speed limit rules would lower the speed limits from the 2.5 mile mark to the Mansfield Jetty from 25 mph to 15 mph and take effect March 1st each year and last through the Labor Day weekend. In the press release was a document called a �F.O.N.S.I� which means there was a �Finding of No Significant Impact� The National Park Service (NPS) determined no significant impacts would occur if the proposal is implemented, and it explains the rationale used in selecting the alternative for implementation.

You can read the document here http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?documentID=46093 In it you will find the same �mumbo jumbo� they used to explain why the lower speed limit was necessary in the Environmental Assessment. �That there are more 4x4 vehicles on the beach and it would be �safer� for the nesting turtles�. This is in spite of the fact that there has never been a Kemp�s Ridley turtle run over on P.I.N.S., and that there has been an average of only 3 vehicle accidents each year over the past ten years on the 62 mile long beach. When pressed on this NPS� excuse they state �we get two to three calls on holiday weekends of speeders and near misses with accidents�. What makes them think lowering the speed limit will reduce speeders? We don�t need new restrictive laws just enforcement. Regarding the 4x4 numbers, the original EA stated that there were few vehicles down island so there would not be a significant impact of lowering speeds while at the same time the rationale for lower the speed limit was due to the increase in 4x4 vehicles on the beach. Huh????

Nowhere does the F.O.N.S.I. mention that the Kemp�s Ridley turtle nests represent only 6/10 of 1% of the worldwide number of Kemp�s Ridley nests. Nor does it make reference to the likelihood of the Kemp�s turtles status being upgraded to threatened in two to three years or the statements made by the Fish and Wildlife Department that even if every nesting Kemp�s Ridley turtle on P.I.N.S. was destroyed it would make no difference to the survival of the species. The F.O.N.S.I. does back off the turtles as being the main issue in regards to the lower speed limit citing concerns for visitor safety and �possible� accidents.

The issue is not turtles or visitor safety as the numbers don�t justify that there is a problem. The issue is that we are slowly getting our access to this national treasure reduced. If we don�t fight them more and more restrictions will be put in place. Eventually the Padre Island National Seashore will only see visitors who use Malaquite and the first five miles of South Beach as they will run off those visitors and tourists who love traveling down island in 4x4 only territory and I think that�s what the goal is. In their view it would be much easier to police and �safer� if you and I aren�t there.

Sargassum is impacting lots of areas of the beach. The higher tides this month will make driving treacherous at times. Rotting sargassum can cause quick sand type areas to form so be extremely careful when running the low road near the water. The speed limit is now 15 mph. Follow established tracks when you can and watch out for nesting turtles as they should start coming in any day now.

April tends to be windy and weedy but you can catch fish if given the right conditions. Generally the spring Jack Crevelle run peaks this month. Spanish mackerel, black drum, redfish and pompano are possible as are trout. The trout tend to be scarce but are generally large when you find them. Large silver weedless spoons will work for the trout and Jacks. Use Mannolures and a light steel leader for the Spanish mackerel. The black drum, pompano and even reds can be caught using Fishbite/shrimp combos. If all else fails try fishing the first gut for whiting using your trout gear and peeled shrimp and Fishbites about a foot below a half ounce egg sinker. Recent catches have included Jack Crevelle, black drum, redfish, pompano, whiting and bull and black tip sharks.
I've run at least 15 mph. I go at low tide on the water's edge and run as fast as is safe. It's easy to miss the turtles. Just go around the mob of seagulls eating baby turtles.

Who's going to be out there enforcing the speed limit anyway?

Alan
i overheat running that slow headed north, going south its not a problem with the SE wind. i was stopped and warned once last summer.I'm going to run at least 25, if I spot a ranger I'll slow down and hope they don't get on radar.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/09/12
Roger does in fact run at least 25 or more laugh
Posted By: TXRam Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/15/12
Roger (& others), I'd like to come if my schedule allows - just never know 'til closer to the time as I have to travel a bit for work. I tried to make it last year but had to travel out of the country then, even went out and bought a new spinning rig with a 10ft rod, etc.

If I do, I'd be coming from SE Houston - someone could ride down with me, or I'd pay for someone else's gas to ride with them. Houston Hobby airport (SWA hub here) is only 15min from the house too, so if someone needed a ride from there that could work.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/15/12
Hey guys, just got onto this thread.
I would love to come schedule and family permitting. BTW are spouses and young kids allowed?
I've never fished the surf here - I've done some back down in Peru, lots of sea bass and flounder smile
bring the wife and kiddo's i believe a few others are, my 15 yr old will be going.
Stx, when are you planning on going?
Son is 2.5yr and almost 11 months, so not quite ready to be helpful in anyway smile
Yesterday he caught his first fish. I hooked it, but he reeled it in, great job for a toddler with a 7'0 rod. A small Black Drum, but he is now hooked on fishing wink
23-26 of august, one thing to remember is we will be down on the island anywhere from 10-30,40 miles from the nearest rd. unless the driving conditions are ideal you'll need 4x4 and there's no phone service unless you got a satellite ph.
There will be a couple of people from the Houston area, or going through the Houston area. I have an extended cab 4x4, and folks are welcome to ride with me, but the back seat is a little snug for adults on a long drive.

Last year a couple folks with cars drove to the visitor center, and then caught rides with the folks with 4x4's to actually run down the beach.
bring the wife and kiddo's i believe a few others are, my 15 yr old will be going.

I'll bring a guitar this trip.
Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be coming down 77 to Victoria. In an old single cab 4x4. Sure would like to meet up with some coming from Houston there and kind of convoy on in to PINS.
BCR, I am in northwest Houston. You're welcome to convoy up with me. Last year I took Hwy 59 to 77, to I-37 and it worked out fine.
Sounds great guys. I will try to talk the wife into it. Schedule permitting I hope we can come. Convoying sounds great
I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander, AWD, do you think it will make it?
Plan is to set up tents on the beach? Just thinking ahead for my young kids.
Kind of what I was thinking. There should be something, gas station, cafe ???? where the loop around Victoria joins up again with 77 south of town. Would be a fine place to meet up with people coming down 59 from Houston and go on to Corpus in a bunch following somebody who knows whereinhell he is going.

Everybody and his dog got cell phones now. Even this old coot finally broke down and got one. Gets closer to the time we can exchange # via PM and talk eachother in to a meeting spot.
there is a place on the right hand side of 77 just south of Victoria, can't remember the name, its not one of the chain convenience stores.
we'll be using tents
there is a place on the right hand side of 77 just south of Victoria, can't remember the name, its not one of the chain convenience stores.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Can't beat local knowledge. grin
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/18/12
Trying to talk the wife into it. any other women and smaller children coming? What should be bring for the group should we are able to make it?
Seems that based on my preliminary schedule we might be able to come. I am at time in my life were being able to come with the wife and kids trumps my "me time", so besides work, that will likely decide if we make it or not.
On a side note, what would be a good family tent to get? I have a separate post on it, Linky
but can't hurt to ask here too.
Thanks!
pretty much any tent will work you probably have to worry about wind more than rain but we do get the occasional squall. i use a tent cot, but its a one person setup. http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/Kamp-Rite-Collapsible-Combo-Tent-Cot-CCTC-p-16138.html
not sure if anyone else is bring their wife, one thing to think about, we'll be roughing it there is no restrooms or anything, taking a dump or pee means going behind a sand dune. might consider getting one of portable toilets like they use in the hospital for your wife to use.
I would jump on the used tent deal Otter offered.

The problems are gonna be wind, sun, and blowing sand. Likely you're gonna be putting it up on loose dry sand too, might need something heavy (sand-filled milk jugs??) to substitute for some stakes.

If it rains down there in August, likely the storm will already have a name and the tent will touch down somewhere around Falfurrias or maybe Kingsville grin

IME kids have the hardest time adjusting to lack of amenities (my own son would "hold-it" for DAYS under those conditions when he was little, wouldn't use it if it wasn't gonna flush afterwards grin), I would bring something that has a familiar-looking toilet seat on it, that could be set up in a setting that offered privacy.

Along those lines, constipation is almost a given when one is dehydrated, especially for kids, bring lots of drinks, and sunscreen. I find the beach at PINS to be among the most hostile desert environments around. See, in an actual desert, you EXPECT it to be that hot and dry and windy.

Birdwatcher
I have seen the power company guys on job sites with a five gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and a seat attached to the top.
If you're bringing a tent, bring the following:

- Small bungee cord

- The plastic bags you get from the grocery store, Wal-mart, etc.

- Someone will have a shovel.

Double-bag, then fill the bags with sand. Use these for anchors, and bungee them to your tent. Bungee cords will help because the wind can whip a tent around.

Those pop-up shades are a necessity. Take 4, 5-gallon buckets. Put a leg in each bucket and fill with sand.
not sure if anyone else is bring their wife, one thing to think about, we'll be roughing it there is no restrooms or anything, taking a dump or pee means going behind a sand dune. might consider getting one of portable toilets like they use in the hospital for your wife to use.

Translation: can she run a kayak and how's she feel about half a rigged kingfish between her toes?

Fought it, but lost battle. Sorry. wink

P.S. No offense intended whatsoever, and I was just breaking your chops. I'm sure your wife is lovely, and if she's OK with roughing it, good on her, and you done good.
one of those screw-in auger stakes/dog tie-downs works well for achoring tents on the beach.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/23/12
Putting weight in the tent worked just fine guys, like your gear. My tent didn't blow away. Excuse me, Birdys new tent.

I'm going with the cot/ tent deal. Remember Pat slept on a cot, under rear of his truck. Yes it was a low cot, but that worked for him. Family would need a tent.

My pop up shade deal even worked in the slight breeze.
Posted By: ba4040 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/23/12
If time permits - I am all over this!
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/23/12
Translation: can she run a kayak and how's she feel about half a rigged kingfish between her toes?

P.S. No offense intended whatsoever, and I was just breaking your chops. I'm sure your wife is lovely, and if she's OK with roughing it, good on her, and you done good.

no offense taken. Funny schitt, I think she can run a kayak, not sure about on the surf though, about a dead fih between her toes, might need more convincing. Truly it's the kids I am concerned about, 2 1/2yo and 11mo currently, so it might be tough.
We have a nice tent, but it is too little to rough it out for 4 days including kids... anyone offering to babysit??
any takers? there in the back? smile

Roger, I've been on the beach all my life and never seen that water bucket-tarp-tent-kite thingy done. I was impressed.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/23/12
Originally Posted by Sponxx

no offense taken. Funny schitt, I think she can run a kayak, not sure about on the surf though, about a dead fih between her toes, might need more convincing. Truly it's the kids I am concerned about, 2 1/2yo and 11mo currently, so it might be tough.
We have a nice tent, but it is too little to rough it out for 4 days including kids... anyone offering to babysit??
any takers? there in the back? smile

That's what MIL's are made for. Hope they are close.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/23/12
Nah, back in Peru... both sets of grandparents. Has made for a couple of years of being 24/7 with the kids.
At least for my wife, when I take call it's all her taking of the little ones, finally we had a little time off earlier this year and left them with the inlaws and my parents
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/24/12
Nah, back in Peru... both sets of grandparents. Has made for a couple of years of being 24/7 with the kids.
At least for my wife, when I take call it's all her taking of the little ones, finally we had a little time off earlier this year and left them with the inlaws and my parents

Hope this trip works for you and family. Fun time with soon to be friends.
being low on cash can be the mother of invention.
here in Laredo, finally going to get some sleep, 12 hrs in 3 days don't cut it. don't have to be on location till noon tomorrow.
Roger, you still in Eagle Pass?

Read some of the current rules at PINS, fire ban has been removed for a while it seems.
right now we're working 50 miles NW of Laredo off old mines rd.

it will be nice to get a big bonfire going.
Glad you get a little rest tonight.

Fire would be nice if the weather holds for the next 4 months.
Back when I did more beach camping, I had four pieces of stainless rod that I had cut out from old whip antennas They were about 3' long. I'd stick them into the sand on the four corners of my tent and they'd hold it against the wind. This was at a time when the dome tent did not exist. My tent had an interior frame, a single pole in the center attached by some short ropes in the center of a square of tubing that fit the inside of the tent. It was a pretty good system that actually was pretty easy to put up and take down.

Alan
Putting weight in the tent worked just fine guys, like your gear. My tent didn't blow away. Excuse me, Birdys new tent.

I followed your lead and gave him a cooler that trip. And a pound of scallops. wink Said the stuff would be put to good use for outings he takes kids on, which is great stuff. Note: I ever see a Mike's Used Camping Gear shop next time, me and him are having words.

wink

wink
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 04/25/12
L, that tent was an old one, broken zipper on front, tore tie down loops around the floor area but that sucker held up to the wind on the beach. Hope he was able to get the sand out and off.
We slept good cause that old tent held up. Ate good cause we had lobster from a sligltly used cooler that withstood the beatings your favorite air line gave it. Win win situation.

Next trip, let's catch some big fish.

Mikes used camping gear------good name for a business.
Crap in--crap out. grin
Roger, I've been on the beach all my life and never seen that water bucket-tarp-tent-kite thingy done. I was impressed.

Yeah, he's pretty resourceful. Learned a bunch back in the day when he was working coyote late shift. He didn't last long, though, as he couldn't bring himself to actually sneak them in, but instead took them in a big circle, and after they paid him, he pointed at the fence and river, and said, "bueno suerte". Little did they know he'd spun them around, and they were sneaking back IN... wink

But agree. Never work here consistently, as we just don't get the wind you guys do, but in a pinch and in the right conditions, works a charm.
Never work here consistently, as we just don't get the wind you guys do, but in a pinch and in the right conditions, works a charm.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/04/12
Roger, is late Aug still turtle time on the beach?
i'll have to check.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/04/12
i'll have to check.

No big deal, was just wondering.

Have to start looking for some kind of a bait casting rig for the beach area soon.

i'll have to check.

No big deal, was just wondering.

Have to start looking for some kind of a bait casting rig for the beach area soon.

Don't worry about what season it is. I'll be bringing my Magic Conch (I am seen in the video), and will blow the secret Turtle Girls call until she shows. They simply cannot resist the call of the conch!

P.S. That's not the Turtle Girl call I'm demonstrating. That's the Rich and Still Very Hot Divorcee Meet Me At the Tiki Bar After This call from back in the day.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/05/12
Nice----

Picked up my conch shell 44 yrs ago, in the ocean, with the sharks.

Bring that shell for sure.
Don't worry about what season it is. I'll be bringing my Magic Conch (I am seen in the video), and will blow the secret Turtle Girls call until she shows. They simply cannot resist the call of the conch!

Careful, might work on Pat too.

The degree of concern for rare and endangered sea turtles Pat exhibited when the turtle girls showed up was just heartwarming.

that call certainly don't work on cats. Mine both meowed & walked away...
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/06/12
Only works on Turtle Girls
if i get a chance i'm going to try and run down the island and fish a little this coming weekend.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/07/12
if i get a chance i'm going to try and run down the island and fish a little this coming weekend.

What kind of fish will you be fishing for?
anything and everything, probably run out a couple baits for shark then try for reds and specks.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/07/12
I'm sure going to need a little read on rule book, have to see if I can find my current copy.

Good luck if your off.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/10/12
My schedule from 7/12 thru 6/30 just came up... it is unlikely that I will be able to come, since I have to work an overnight shift on Aug 23 until 9am and then be back on Monday at noon for another shift.
Anyone heading there that Friday instead of Thursday??
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
that call certainly don't work on cats. Mine both meowed & walked away...

I never said it'd work on cats. It's designed to use on *pus...Um, well, y'know. wink
My schedule from 7/12 thru 6/30 just came up... it is unlikely that I will be able to come, since I have to work an overnight shift on Aug 23 until 9am and then be back on Monday at noon for another shift.
Anyone heading there that Friday instead of Thursday??

you could head down after you get out of work then leave Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, i think thats what birdy is going to do.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/11/12
I'll keep in touch definitely. When I found out about the schedule changes (I had requested August with no calls ie staying in house at the NICU) I petitioned to at least have that as what we call a "golden weekend" - which means we leave Friday after being up all night and don't come back until Monday... normal people call it a weekend laugh.
The drive from Hsouton will be a killer and maybe returning on Sunday makes more sense.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/14/12
Roger, just catching up on the fire. See you were playing 18 years old. Sorry about the ankle. Of course you were working so that means no fishing last weekend. Maybe next weekend.

New pair of lace ups may be the way to go and the feet.
I'm thinking lace ups too. maybe I'll get to go this coming weekend.
My ADD kept me from reading all 19 pages. What's the scoop? Sometime in August?
august 23-26
august 23-26
time to start working out details.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/20/12
Show up Thrusday, wait at the HQ for Roger.
albert caught this greater hammerhead off bobhall yesterday.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/22/12
Hope he can do the same when we are out and down that way.

Looking forward to the trip Roger.
another pic of the tiger Albert caught last yr

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/24/12
So that means anyone in our group can catch one of these sharks?

Anyone that shows up whistle
if we can get one to bite, you sure can.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 05/24/12
Great
Posted By: stxhunter ROLL CALL - 05/27/12
lets see if we can get an up too date head count.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: ROLL CALL - 05/27/12
lets see if we can get an up too date head count.

Just got home from Brownwood area. You know my answer.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: ROLL CALL - 05/27/12
i think you and i are the only two who haven't forgotten about it.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12
I'm looking forward to the trip/bet most are out and about this 3 day weekend.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12

Yeah, right.

I am planning on being in CC on Thursday, possibly coming in on Wednesday evening. I still don't have "permission" from the First Sergeant to bring her Kubota RTV yet, but I haven't given up!

Ed
Posted By: eh76 Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12
I want too but just can't pull off the trip! cry
Posted By: milespatton Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12
My plans are still to be there. I have permission from the better half so that is not an issue. miles
Posted By: stxhunter Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12
cool.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12

I'm still in Roger it's just too far out for me to be running my jaws about it.
Gets closer I'll see if I can meet up with some of the boys on the road down so I can get lead in. That will depend on which day they plan on going.

Btw stand by for a pm as I got a different phone # from the one I sent you.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: ROLL CALL - 05/28/12
I ain't forgot.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: ROLL CALL - 05/30/12
Nor me. smile
Posted By: Wtxj Re: ROLL CALL - 06/04/12
Roger, was lucky and found a square of indoor/outdoor carpet I'll cut to size for my cot/tent deal. Has to fit in my Jeep rolled up.

Have a short Kayak rig with a spin cast reel, 20 lb line for the surf casting. Now must go back and read you and ED's conversation on the spinning bait that may work. Need to catch one black tip (small one of course) so we will have somefish to eat.
Making slow but sure progress. shocked
Posted By: Sponxx Re: ROLL CALL - 06/06/12
Haven't forgotten. Still have to figure out a way to show up. As said in previous posts, working that Thursday night and have to be back by Monday.
Roger, do you hit PINS or fish the surf frequently?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: ROLL CALL - 06/06/12
i fish on bobhall pier and surf fish down pins several times each summer. though i've yet to this yr
Posted By: Sponxx Re: ROLL CALL - 06/13/12
Roger,
I'm heading down south with my wife and kids in a couple of days. PM sent requesting tips and info
Posted By: stxhunter Re: ROLL CALL - 06/21/12

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 6-22-2012

The cold water upwelling we have seen for the past several years in June is back. I saw a recent infrared photo of the water temperatures off of the Texas coast and this cold water upwelling stands out particularly from about Yarborough Pass south to South Padre Island and offshore for several miles. The cold water upwelling thins out as you head north up North Padre Island to Mustang Island and appears to be just affecting the immediate beachfront to several hundred yards offshore making the water cooler but brown. Fish activity is normally decreased in these areas and lure fishing can be tough. Live bait is the best choice but expect to get hardhead catfish and whiting mostly if you plan to use live or fresh dead shrimp. (Trudy Lightfoot of Corpus Christi who caught this 24.5� trout on live shrimp 6/8/2012 on Mustang Island)

My friend and scientist, Jay Gardner, says he thinks it�s related to the change in currents that kick off each year in June when the current switches from southbound to northbound for the summer. Imagine stirring a big bowl of water and then reversing the direction you�re stirring. Something is bound to be upset at least until the water settles into the new �stirring direction� or current. These cold water upwellings are common at various times during the summer though they are usually confined to south of Big Shell, beginning at the 18 mile mark on Padre Island National Seashore (P.I.N.S) down to South Padre. Noted surf legend Captain Billy Sandifer thinks it�s something more unusual as these �regular� June cold water upwelling events are a relatively new occurrence. He doesn�t remember them being this large or long lasting in years past. He says the only way we�ll know is if someone decides to study them. Several years ago about this time of year Billy, Dr. David Mckee and I were down at the Mansfield jetty remarking on how cold the water was. I personally took out an instant read thermometer that registered 65 degrees! Of course most of the water was around 75 to 78 but right next to the jetty it was that cold.

In recent years the cold water upwellings have hurt the summer fishing more than usual though we do get some relief on portions of the beach where the water warms and it is its usual mid to upper 80�s. Let�s hope that is the case this year.

My wife Kelle and I just purchased a new beach toy sort of a �Pocket Suburban�, a 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It�s not our �go to� vehicle when doing serious surf fishing or camping but we�ll use it for quick jaunts out to the beach or a day trip for two down P.I.N.S. When buying this vehicle I thought it would be a good time to go over what you would need to do if outfitting your first vehicle for the beach.

Here�s what I do. After checking to make sure everything is in good mechanical order, no worn hoses or belts, good cooling system etc. I rinse the underside of the vehicle and let it dry. Then I take �Ospho� a product sold at many Ace Hardware stores and hit any rust spots I see on the frame and other metal pieces under there with the exception of things that get hot like the exhaust system. Ospho reacts with rust to create an inert compound. Then I take flat black industrial Rustoleum paint and paint those areas. After that I take a sprayer and use boiled linseed oil to coat those same parts again. I�ve found that the linseed oil does the best job I have seen in vehicle protection, even better than standard undercoating. The problem with undercoating is that it can break free of the metal surface and rust and moisture can get in that space.

Next, I get the essentials like a small shovel, jack, and four way tire iron. I also add a tow strap, can of Fix-a-Flat, jumper cables and small tool box. If this were a larger vehicle I might carry extra coolant and transmission fluid. The last thing which is not a necessity but nice to have is a combination car charger/air compressor. If you leave your lights on and your battery is dead it may take awhile to find anyone to give you a jump down in 4x4 only territory and that air compressor is always handy though a bit slow.

Driving is not bad in most areas up north and gets tough as usual in Big Shell. Expect soft sand until we get any rain down south. Fishing has been slow in the brown cold water and during the windy periods but the sargassum is gradually slowing down a bit. Expect excellent fishing for trout, reds, ladyfish, and whiting, Spanish mackerel, bluefish and pompano when the water is green.

Bring out more trash than you take in and enjoy the resource responsibly,

Tyler Thorsen
Posted By: Sponxx Re: ROLL CALL - 06/27/12
Roger thanks for the info. We didn't do anything extreme, basically tried to hit some of the parks. Might not belong here, but since I asked about the area here goes a little write up of my vacation.

We escaped Houston and drove down the gulf coast. The plan was to camp in some state parks and visit some areas. First actual stop (not counting restroom stops) was Goose Island. Apparently a wonderful place to do some gulf and bay fishing. Sadly no actual beach there and it was really hot. We camped in a wooded area that provided some shade, but it was rather windless. My wife had the wonderful of buying and inflatable pool which kept the kids happy for hours one afternoon.

We slept on an REI family tent, the Kingdom 6. Nice tent, but not a backpacking one. It fitted us perfectly, one inflatable queen mattress for the grown ups, the baby's pack&play and a little mattress for my son. Enough room to move around, stand up and store equipment. It would not have fitted 6 people, but maybe an extra kid, under those conditions.

So, for outdoor activities, we did visit Old Tree, which is an oak that is 1000+ years old. I also fished with my 2 1/2yo son, who was catching one fish after the other. Of course they were all trash fish (croakers and hardhead catfish) but he doesn't care about it... he just reels them in like a champ and selects the smaller shrimp for his hooks smile
We also did some night fishing and again he had a blast. I actually didn't even setup my rod since I was casting and unhooking his fish.

Next stop was PINS, awesome place, really windy and hot though. Great place, but tough conditions, unable to make the kids nap in the tent we had to drive around with A/C and have them sleep in their car seats. The wind was really blowing one night and bent the tent poles, but it held fine. The following morning we were lucky enough to see a turtle release: 113 Kemp's Ridley hatchlings were released on the seashore to make their way to the water.
That day we did some surf fishing, again catching some small red drums.
Definitely worth the trip, but setting up camp every couple of days was a little too much.

Still looking forward to see if I can squeeze the time for the PINS trip. If it is too hot I might have to leave the family home though... Any idea on which mile marker you guys are planning on setting at?

Posted By: stxhunter Re: ROLL CALL - 06/28/12
we'll probably try to camp somewhere around the 30, that way we can run north or south to look for fish during the day.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: ROLL CALL - 06/29/12
I'll keep working on it... right now I think the biggest issue will be the Friday post-call drive from Houston ~4 1/2h + 30 miles into PINS.
less than 2 months.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/07/12
Yes Sir

How's the fishing off the coast doing currently, you heard anything from Albert or the other guy?

Depends on what species you are fishing for. Your bass tackle will work fine for trout and reds using artificials. What do you think guys?
it would work fine.
I'm out this year, lads. I'm bummed, but you all ought to be celebrating. With me not there, guaranteed that all kinds of fish will be caught...

wink
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/14/12
Youse guys are cruel....
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/14/12
I'm out this year, lads. I'm bummed, but you all ought to be celebrating. With me not there, guaranteed that all kinds of fish will be caught...

wink

We'll miss you Boston. Maybe next time cause we just may catch a few.
Still trying, but neither airline I have free flights on goes there. I could go into San Antonio and rent a car, or buy a $500 ticket into Corpus and have somebody come get me. Sixes.

Think I might have to give it up.
birdy is in San Antonio, you might be able to hook up with him. thats what Leighton did last yr.
Well I'll be jiggered. Delta now has flights into CRP I can buy with miles.

Would it be better for me to fly in the day before (22nd) or on the 23rd if I landed at 4 pm?

I'd likely fly back out on Monday 27.

Note that if I do this, I'll have nothing with me but a bag o'clothes. I'll have to beg an air mattress and everything else needed.
if you want to fly in the day before i can pick you up. i plan on running down the the island early on the 23rd and get camp started then run back into town to meet whoever i need to.so either day will work.
Cool beans. Then I could help mind camp while you're off collecting other bodies. Let me keep working this, it might just pan out...

wink

We'll miss you Boston. Maybe next time cause we just may catch a few.

Hey, thanks Gordon/Awesome-Snacks-For-Everyone-And-Even-Supplied-A-Wayward-Yankee-with-Shelter-and BOOZE-and- Excellent-Company-to-Boot-guy. wink I really enjoyed our hanging, friend. I'll darken your presence again. Count on it.
birdy is in San Antonio, you might be able to hook up with him. thats what Leighton did last yr.

Hey, I paid you to never mention that. WTF?

wink grin
Well I'll be jiggered. Delta now has flights into CRP I can buy with miles.

Would it be better for me to fly in the day before (22nd) or on the 23rd if I landed at 4 pm?

I'd likely fly back out on Monday 27.

Note that if I do this, I'll have nothing with me but a bag o'clothes. I'll have to beg an air mattress and everything else needed.

Ah. It's like magic! I say I'm out and Rocky allasudden kin make it? lol.

A surprise attendance now considered.

wink eek cool whistle grin

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 7-20-2012

In the late 1990�s and the early part of the 2000�s a group of us from the Shore Fishing and Casting Club International (S.F.C.C.I) spent nearly every weekend we could camping and fishing down the beach. We�d caravan down Friday night and head back the same way Sunday afternoon. Nick Meyer of Breakaway Tackle named this group �The Frog Hunters� after the characters in the book �Cannery Row�. Our credo was �Nobody is stuck until everyone is stuck and Nobody�s out of beer until everyone is out of beer� It was on these many trips we refined how to camp and cook on the beach, beach vets showed the newbies the finer points of beach etiquette such as how to park without blocking the road, shared surf fishing tips, and in general taught us quite a few things about life and that in fact everyone COULD run out of beer. I�ve assembled a long thread on my FAQ Forum titled �P.I.N.S. (Padre Island National Seashore) Survival Kit and Driving tips at http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboard/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3776 It answers many of the questions on what to do and not to do, a good list of items you will need etc. and is useful for any beach camping not just the P.I.N.S.

I like to choose a camping spot based on a structure or hole that might be in front of it. There�s nothing like waking up and hitting the surf right in front of camp and bringing in fish. Be sure to choose a spot above the high tide line and the last high road you see on the beach. That will keep you out of the line of traffic. Use traffic cones, yellow tape or reflectors but DO NOT BLOCK the road or dig trenches around your camp as that is illegal. Be sure to tell the kids that those tracks are roadways and likewise keep an eye out when passing by camps. Kids and dogs are so fixated on the beach they think nothing of darting across the road. It is also wise to set vehicles on either side of your camping area on the chance that someone running the beach at night doesn�t see your camp. It is better to hit one of the vehicles than folks in tents.

Pick a tent that is easy to set up and preferably one that is not too dark as they really retain the heat during the day. Be sure to practice setting it up at home in the backyard before you have a bunch of tired hungry kids whining while you�re fumbling in the dark for the flashlight and the directions on how to set it up. Don�t ask me how I know! A plastic kitty litter tray filled with water at the entrance to the tent used to wash your feet off before entering really cuts down on sand in the tent. Use real talcum powder and dust yourself off. The talcum powder does a great job of getting any sand off of the rest of your body.

Ice, water, and shade are the three things you need to watch during the summer. Your ice will always last longer if your items are already chilled before you ice them down in the ice chest. It helps to freeze things like water bottles, and noncarbonated drinks beforehand. The same goes for meat too. If you have traveled in from out of town, be sure to drain off the ice and top it off once you arrive before you hit the beach. Have one ice chest for drinks etc. That ice chest will get lots of opening and closing and will burn up ice the fastest. Reserve at least one ice chest that is full of block ice and always keep it in the shade or bury it in wet sand. Save the melted ice water to put in a bag shower. Just throw the bag shower on top of the hood on a dark vehicle and you�ll have a nice warm shower to end the day.

The 10 foot and 12 foot EZ up Canopies can be lifesavers during the heat of the day and will keep the kids out of the UV rays during midday. Heat exhaustion is a real threat so stay cool in the shade and drink plenty of cold water.

These past two weeks have been the best so far this summer. When conditions have allowed trout anglers have been getting impressive stringers of trout from Mustang Island down to South Padre on top waters and live bait. On P.I.N.S. the best trout action has been south of the 30 but things change rapidly. Sargassum is lighter south and generally fishable in most areas. Spanish Mackerel, ladyfish, trout and redfish are also present in the surf as are pompano and whiting. There are lots of pony mullet and bull and black tip sharks working them so stay close to the beach in those areas with lots of bait.

In memory of fellow Frog Hunter, Rodney-Meyer-Sandifer Davis (1/5/1959 � 6/20/2012).

Tyler Thorsen

Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/18/12
Roger, as we get closer to the date I am still trying to figure out my presence.
As I have said I would be travelling with wife and kids (almost 3 at the time, and 1year old). Seems we would be driving in from Houston on Friday.

My wife is a little concerned as it seems she would be the only woman around, and doesn't want to make everyone uncomfortable by the little kids and her presence.

Have you heard of any other women and kids coming? Would it be fine it they join?
Not sure what Twilight Zone website I visited yesterday, but Delta does NOT go to CRP. I'd have to fly into San Antonio.

SO, is there anyone who could meet with me there on the 22nd and share the ride to Corpus on the 23rd?
birdwatcher is here in cc, just got done fishing with him. i'll talk to him tomorrow, i'm sure he'll pick you up.
not sure if anyone else is bringing their wife, i'm sure some kids will be coming.
birdy

[Linked Image]
Rocky,

Whenever you get in I can pick you up. Only caveat I have is that I need to be back at home like 7am Monday morning(27th) so as to shower up before going to work.

The last time me and Leighton drove back overnight, it aint far in Texas terms. I drove back at night on account of I didn't want people to see Leighton riding in my car wink

Birdwatcher
Roger, what's the best place to buy bait before we get to the Island?
billings, under the jfk causeway. cross over it then make a right and go under its on the north side.
I regret to announce that I'll be spoiling everybody's weekend.

I'm coming!

Just booked flights, and will accept Birdy's MOST kind offer to ferry my aging butt to the beach. And possibly even back.

Of course, because I won't be able to get much onto a plane, I'll have to worm my way into somebody's tent, borrow an air mattress, share a fishing rod...

...and buy more than my share of the beer.

great, really looking forward to this.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/24/12
Great, glad the flight worked out. And Birdy.
Glad to hear he's going to make the trip also. Good way to start the school year.

Now we only need to work on L------------ laugh

I'm coming!

Just booked flights, and will accept Birdy's MOST kind offer to ferry my aging butt to the beach. And possibly even back.

Of course, because I won't be able to get much onto a plane, I'll have to worm my way into somebody's tent, borrow an air mattress, share a fishing rod...

great! We can discuss maximum loads for revolvers grin
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/24/12
Roger, in a week and 1/2 I'm on my way to SW Colorado. Be back 10 days or so before this trip.
Soooo- what do you want brought. Whiskey, snacks, small table, water
soft drinks?
it would be a good idea for those driving to bring drinks and snacks, a table would be a good idea, i'll bring one also.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/25/12
Good, I'll also bring that shade deal, ice chest, extra fuel, lunch meat , bread, and some kind of grilling hard wood chips.

Just the normal camping stuff.

Fishing stuff: What were the little strip that go on the hook called? Need to see if I can find any out this way.
fish bites. we can those here.
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/25/12

I'm coming!

You guys are going to enjoy this mans company! 1st class character! grin Dayum I wish I could be there!

I'm coming!

WTF? The guy stole my exact game plan, like play-by-play. If you bring a cooler with 60 lbs of live lobsters, scallops and steamer clams, you're going to be hearing from my patent/IP lawyers. You're welcome to use my patented pint of beer with 4 oz worth of Beam via funnel move, though. YW.

I didn't have the balls to ask to bum an air mattress, though...

grin

getting stuff out and ready.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/27/12
Rocky, if you have room in your bags, how about bringing a copy of your VN book for me. Signed of course. Pay on the beach. If you don't have the room, I'll just have to order one.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/27/12
Rocky, if you have room in your bags, how about bringing a copy of your VN book for me. Signed of course. Pay on the beach. If you don't have the room, I'll just have to order one.

Mike 5/8
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/27/12
Roger, Nice gear!!
Still kind of waffly on the trip.
Wife is up so far for the roughing it out with the kids, but unsure about the impact of her female presence and the 4h+ drive with me postcall on friday and having to be back on Monday
I'll see if I can trade my call ob Thursday and avoid the post-call drive and maybe show up with the other people from Houston, not just on our own (in case anything happens).

Anything we need to bring for the group? smile

bring water and drinks stuff to make sandwiches, can't have enough of that, bring talcum powder too, works great for getting the sand off your body.your camping gear and a few changes of cloths. walking around in wet shorts all day will get you pretty raw and walking around bow legged.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/31/12
If I remember correctly Roger, it's legal to carry on PINS or have possession of a pistol?
yup, state laws apply.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 07/31/12
Great. Looking forward to this trip. Need to smell the old ocean again.
OK, it is August, so what I need is the for sure dates, when everybody is showing up and exactly where it is and how to get there. I will be driving a 4 wheel drive Tacoma and have a GPS, so Lat and Lon would be helpful and best way to get there from Arkansas. I will most likely spend one night on the way down in Mathis, Tx, with my cousin. I can bring a propane fish cooker that has a fairly large stainless steel pot that can be used to boil things or cook fish, if I need to bring it. Let me know of anything special that I need to bring and I will try to get it. I have a tent and some tarps, sleeping bag and mattress, ice chest. Anything else besides drinks and food? What kind of Non resident fishing license? I have a couple of bass sized fishing poles. Will these work for anything there? I need to start a list. miles
23-26th

The National Seashore is located southeast of the city of Corpus Christi, Texas. Visitors to the area should head east through the city on Highway 358. After crossing the JFK Causeway onto Padre Island, Highway 358 changes to Park Road 22. Continue about 10 miles south on Park Road 22. The physical address for Malaquite Visitor Center is 20420 Park Road 22, Corpus Christi, TX 78418.

The National Seashore is on North Padre Island. South Padre Island is approximately another three hours south via Highway 77. For information on South Padre Island, call 1.800.343.2368 or visit their website at www.sopadre.com.

salwater non resident, and the fish cooker sounds like a good idea, your bass rods will work for specks and reds.
OK, it is August, so what I need is the for sure dates, when everybody is showing up and exactly where it is and how to get there. I will be driving a 4 wheel drive Tacoma and have a GPS, so Lat and Lon would be helpful and best way to get there from Arkansas. I will most likely spend one night on the way down in Mathis, Tx, with my cousin. I can bring a propane fish cooker that has a fairly large stainless steel pot that can be used to boil things or cook fish, if I need to bring it. Let me know of anything special that I need to bring and I will try to get it. I have a tent and some tarps, sleeping bag and mattress, ice chest. Anything else besides drinks and food? What kind of Non resident fishing license? I have a couple of bass sized fishing poles. Will these work for anything there? I need to start a list. miles

Hey Miles, great to hear you will make it. It was my first trip last year and PINS is pretty easy to find.

I will likely drive down from Houston the morning of the 23rd, probably get there early afternoon.
It was my first trip last year and PINS is pretty easy to find.

10-4, but it is a big island and you folks may be hard to find. I hate looking for people when they are hiding in plain sight. grin miles
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/01/12
When you get on the island, there is only one road going south, you will come to a guard shack, where you pay some money for a permit to go on the beach. Keep going down that road a few hundred yards and on your left is the park HDQ building. Big parking lot, this is where most waited last year for Roger to come pick em up. They went as a group south 40 miles on the beach. Not many people out that far so, can't miss the ones who will already be there.
I drive a brown colored Jeep, Partick has a red Ford F150, Roger a white Chevy diesel, Mako 25 a white chevy truck. LtPat a Taco of some sort and some color.
I'm leaving DFW early in the morning of the 23rd, at this time, so 500 miles later I will be at the parking lot. With a full tank of gas, all of the ice I can carry, bag of something for the grill ( wood),
"spray" on sun block and all of my camping stuff.
I was just like you last year, thinking I was going to get lost. Did get lost in CC, but a nice sales person in HEB set me in the correct direction to the beach. Get your gas, ice etc. in town, not much on the island, I believe one CStore. So just do the fill up in CC.
MP, shade is important too, so if you have one of the pop up shade deals, that would be nice. Your going to need a chair if you want to sit down, so bring one of those too.

I'm bringing my popup shelter as well. Like last year I'll try to bring 2-3 big coolers with extra ice.

I should also mention that previously some folks in or coming through Houston were talking about meeting & driving down together, so by all means yell at me if you'd like to convoy up.
Your going to need a chair if you want to sit down, so bring on of those too.

I am in the market for a good chair. I am tall and big so I would like to get one that has some height to it. I have trouble getting up when using those chairs in a bag. miles
I don't like the chairs in a bag either so I don't bring that kind.
You have plenty of time to look for one.

I'm bringing my popup shelter as well. Like last year I'll try to bring 2-3 big coolers with extra ice.

I should also mention that previously some folks in or coming through Houston were talking about meeting & driving down together, so by all means yell at me if you'd like to convoy up.

Glad to hear that on the pop up, so we will have at least 2 plus Alberts tied up tarp.

Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/01/12
I am in the market for a good chair. I am tall and big so I would like to get one that has some height to it. I have trouble getting up when using those chairs in a bag. miles

Miles,
A couple of months ago my wife and I got some folding chairs at REI. They look low, but were surprisingly comfortable to sit in. REI chair
They are not the run of the mill chairs, both on construction and price, but it may be worth trying them.

tex n cal - we (wife and kids) MIGHT be driving in from Houston on Thursday too, if I manage to switch my call night for that Thursday. Would be nice to convoy down there.

Roger, got my large talcum powder container and plenty of Desitin - for the kids not us grownups wink . What is the official head count now? How young will be the youngest?
My wife concern remains to make guys uncomfortable by her female presence.
My wife concern remains to make guys uncomfortable by her female presence.

oh Ingwe's not coming, so no worries, no men in thongs...

grin

The crew last year was a fine bunch of gentlemen, and I am expecting the same this year. I can only speak for myself, but your family is welcome. For the kiddos, I'd say normal water safety applies, and they(you) should watch out for any Man O'War on the beach.
Sponxx, I'm not Roger or the speaker on this trip. You want to go and fish in the surf, I can tell. Good way to get away from the daily load of work and sickness. If your wife wants to go with the kids, bring her. The beach is long, if she wants to set up a little ways away from us, that's not going to hurt any feelings.
Go read the Hat thread put up by birdwatcher, shows pics of the group fishin on the beach, we are a nice group. If your wife is not happy all you have to do is pack em up and go back to the house. It's kind of a tough trip as to the wind and sun. If she can handle that I think all will be OK. Bathroom, we walk up and over the dunes behind us. That will be the hardest part for her unless you have some kind of tent potty for her. Most of us will drink beer/whiskey but none got drunk. Just a way to keep the insides wet. laugh We drink lots of water also.
there will be a couple other kids, one of my friends will probably bring his 6 and 10 yr old, I'll have my youngest 15 along. i'll ask a female nurse friend of mine that likes to fish and has her own 4x4, to come if shes not working.
Licensed or Unlicensed ATVs, UTV�s, dune buggies, sand rails, golf carts, amphibious vehicles; and/or any other unlicensed, non-highway vehicles, are prohibited from being operated within the park.
(v)
The following speed limits are established for the roads or routes indicated:

Park Road 22: 45 mph

Campground roads: 5 mph

Bird Island Basin Boat Ramp road: 25 mph

North Beach and South Beach from mile marker 0 to mile marker 5: 15mph

South Beach from mile marker 5 to Mansfield Channel: 25mph from July 6 to April 14.

South Beach from mile marker 5 to Mansfield Channel: 15mph from April 15 through
Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Note that firearms, even legally possessed ones, are prohibited in all Federal buildings.

That will be the hardest part for her unless you have some kind of tent potty for her.

I have a chair/commode that the VA sent for my Dad before he passed away, that I am bringing. It has a bucket that holds about a gallon that comes with it. A tarp around it and everybody would be cool. miles
(b)(i) In non-developed areas, human waste must be packed out or buried at least six inches. cool
That will be the hardest part for her unless you have some kind of tent potty for her.

I have a chair/commode that the VA sent for my Dad before he passed away, that I am bringing. It has a bucket that holds about a gallon that comes with it. A tarp around it and everybody would be cool. miles

smile
This made the trip to Quemado, but there was a toilet where we camped so it was not used. It travels good though. miles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
you wouldn't even need the bucket, just carry it behind a sand dune then dig a hole and sit it over it. afterwards just bury the waste.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/02/12
Very nice chair laugh
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/02/12
That's great guys. I'll let her know. She doesn't mind roughing it out, our concern is that it might be rough for the kids (almost 3 and 1yo) and not to make anyone uncomfortable by a woman being there... The kids love camping and the beach though.
I'll bring some peruvian pisco for the group if we make it, it is a double distilled drink from grapes and I am sure would be enjoyed.

Hopefully I can make my call switch and drive down on Thursday.
Miles, the commode would be awesome for anyone smile check out those chairs from REI

Very nice chair laugh

Veterans Administration, what would you expect. grin miles
MP this is the type of chair I use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NSRAX0...ative=395105&creativeASIN=B004NSRAX0
I looked at one of those on line but could not find out the seat height. I'm old and stiff and when my butt gets down too far, I have trouble getting up. Could be the iron in my blood turned to lead and settled in my butt. grin miles
Kind of like me on the iron butt and bad back. Yes these work.
I purchased mine at Sam's years ago for 29, then bought 2 more (2 are at farm in my trailer). I do not sit in bag chairs. These work.

You have a cabela's in your area? They have this type. Sam's has em in the spring time, not sure any are in stock this time of year. Wonder if they do on line orders.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/02/12
Miles, the Costco in Houston has very similar chairs to the one Wtxj uses, I saw them this past weekeend maybe online there is more.
The REI ones like mine might be in the smaller size for your back problems, since when down the knees are somewhat higher than the butt.
THREE WEEKS!
THREE WEEKS!
THREE WEEKS!

Birdwatcher will be picking me up at the SAT airport. I'll be bringing my clothes and an air mattress, but will need to borrow a chair, tent space and everything else from the rest of you.

I WILL of course buy beer and such as my contribution.
Well guys I really hate this but I am out. I was sure looking forward to it but can't make it.
Here's hoping that "Ernesto" or whatever comes after it doesn't blow us out.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/03/12
Very true RR.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/03/12
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Well guys I really hate this but I am out. I was sure looking forward to it but can't make it.

BCR I wanted to meet you guy, doggone.
it would be nice to get some rain before the 23rd, to pack the sand down and make the driving nice.
what bait is recommended, in general? shrimp and cut mullet?
thats what we generally use. i'll have a couple of cast nets to catch bait.
[Linked Image]
That still looks pretty disorganized. With any luck, it'll move into the western Gulf mid to late next week and give a good drenching but with few violent winds. That ought to firm up the high road down the beach, if I correctly remember things from 41 years ago...

God, it'll be strange to see PINS now. Good, but strange.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/06/12
Seems like the wife is a little more convinced now that people have showed their kindness smile
So if Ernesto keeps heading somewhere else and I get my call switched things might work smile smile
Since I have little kids we might be in different schedule, but will bring some extra food for the other young ones too. So speak out there if anyone has preferences.
now for the grownups, what will be needed to bring for the group?? ask and you might receive wink
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/10/12
Ok, got someone to trade calls with me so it appears we are coming!!
Roger, we are bringing the kids and as I said some extra food for other children if it is necessary to operate in a separate schedule. Gonna bring a bunch a hotdogs and smoked sausage.
We are also bringing a canopy.
I got a few logistics questions:
Any one bringing an air compressor if we need to deflate tires?
Snacks, drinks, what do u want us to bring for the group?
How should I load my surfrod reel? Its a Penn Battle 6000, and I got 30lb braid, but it is not going to fill it, should I back it up with 30lb mono? My smaller rod has 15# braid and mono.

thanks
top the reel off with the mono.mack sure that the braid is put on under tension. compressor is a good idea.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/12/12
Roger, will the heavier mono impair casting distance vs the braid? just wondering that.
Any info on what to bring food/drink wise for the group?

Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/12/12
Youse guys are going fishing and I am working 6 days a week cry but it pays the bills....please don't telll my wife her vacation is cancelled shocked eek
not enough to be noticeable.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/12/12
Let me know waht munchies & food to get, otherwise you'll get canned tuna and tang smile
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/12/12
Back from Cool Colorado.
top the reel off with the mono.mack sure that the braid is put on under tension.

I will be bringing a light rod with 20 lb spiderwire braid and another heavier rod with 30lb spider wire braid. What kind/size of hooks and sinkers? Any lures or just bait? miles
bring hooks like what you'd use for catching medium to large catfish, circle hooks or j hooks are fine. probably be best to get weights here, you'll need the surf weights that have prongs to hold them in place. good lures are gold silver spoons and mirr-o-lures.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/13/12
Roger, week and a half, I'm heading down that way.

Food-what do you want?
Wood-" " " " ?
What else?

Feel the need to start the gathering process.

Colorado trip, glad you asked.
Cool, rain, high mountains and one disappearing road due to the base giving out and falling down into the canyon. I drove the road an hour before, came back and 30' was gone. Cost 160 mile drive to get back to Lake City. Teach me to go 4x4ing in the mountains.
Caught brookies when fishing, but not many.
Had a good time, will go again if the good Lord allows. cool
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/14/12
Roger,
I second WTXJ's request for info on groceries needed...

on the other hand any info on the red tide that has showed up recently? There has been some noticed up in Freeport and up to the Bolivar peninsula and Crystal beach
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/environconcerns/hab/redtide/status.phtml
no red tide down here, i'm going to bring a couple briskets and some other stuff to cook on the pit. i'm hoping we catch enough fish for one meal. it probably wouldn't hurt to bring some stuff to cook breakfast. lunch i figured we'd just snack or make sangwhichs.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/15/12
Good deal. They are picking up dead fish by the barrel in Galveston.

Red tide and hot water

We are planning on bringing some smoked sausage and hotdogs, bread, fruit, veggies, cereal, eggs for the first morning at least. We will bring stuff for 3 set meals for the kids, cause they gotta eat. I will bring stuff for making a traditional and simple peruvian ceviche and a bottle of pisco.
Bringing a propane camping grill too.
I have most of my lures in Peru. Here I got a Yozuri deep diver minnow, 7/8oz silver spoon, and a couple of Rapala floaters, (perch and gray/black). Also some gulp shrimp and gulp Crab. Is it enough?
I don't have white/red lures here, should I get some and something else? Will bring fishbites too.

that should work, you can always pick up stuff here before we head down the island, wal mart has good deals on mirr o lures.
They run $6-8 on the Academy around here. Any idea on Walmart pricing? If it is about the same, maybe I will pick one here before going and avoid extra stops.
Any recommended ones? Topwaters? Sinking?
not sure but there usually a little cheaper.
I'll pick one here and be done with it smile the price difference wont kill me and will make a quicker drive... which will make my wife happier.
Any model recommendation?
i'd get a top dog and a diver.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/16/12
Thanks... I'll sure be in touch.
Roger,

I'm officially out. Business is just not cooperating to let me come.

As much as I want to, it's just not going to happen this year.

I know I'll miss a great time and miss meeting some great folks.

I WILL get down there one day, this is just not the time.

Ed
sorry to hear that, Ed! frown
I need to have a couple reels loaded. What type/weight of line are most folks using for surf casting?
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/18/12
I am spooling my 9ft MH rod and Penn Battle 6000 with 30lb braid (it will be first using that combo, so we'll see if it works). The M 7'0 rod for working lures will have 15lb braid on an older shimano 3000 series spinning reel. Those are the only real rods I am bringing smile.
i have to respool a couple of 4/0s going to use 65# braid with 50# mono top shot. i need to get stuff together this weekend. going to have to work tues and wens.
So, I'm asking again: Does anybody have tent space for one more or should I buy one when I arrive? I don't snore.
I will have room in my tent, but I snore and don't get around too good in small spaces, but you are welcome to share. miles
i'll see about getting a extra tent.my brother might not be able to make so i can grab his.
Thanks! I'd just sleep outside, but I note that the forecast is for 60% chance of T-storms Fri and Sat.

Flying in limits my "gear" list pretty drastically.
I thought that I had already posted this but I guess I did not hit submit. I am bringing a 10x10 canopy and some tarps to add to the side or sides. Maybe we can keep you dry, one way or another. grin miles
Thanks to you also, miles. I'm sure I'll be fine.
i got a couple extra cots i'm bringing.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/18/12
I'm bringing an extra lawn chair for RR.
Albert caught this 42# king off the pier today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/19/12
I am bringing a 7ft sun umbrella and a 10x10 canopy. My kids might be running amok or using the canopy if the sun is killing us, but there should be extra space for stuff that needs shade.
We will also bring a propane kitchen if stuff needs to be cooked on the fly.
I will bring an extra lawn chair too and my home-made first aid kit with some sutures, hydrogen peroxide, medical tape, skin glue, etc. If bring it, then we won't need it smile
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/19/12
Well we cooled off here a little from the cool front the guys up in north central US sent down. laugh Nice of them.

Looks to be 4 canopies then. That should do.

Nice fish Roger.

Food: Have some snacks, anytime junkfood. Peanut butter, bread, think I'll get some hot dogs as the good Doc. is doing. Easy to heat in a pan. Eggs, going to be brave and bring 36. Small pan and butter for the scrambled type.
Roger, got a sack (40lbs?) of mesquite for the grilling to help out. Paper plates, paper bowls, some plastic wear. Of course the paper goods are for eating the fresh caught black tip we are going to catch.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/19/12
I was planning on bringing cereal, eggs, bread and some shredded cheese for the eggs wink.
I'll bring charcoal if needed or pitch in with buying some more wood.
Do we need to bring more paper plates/bowls or utensils.
Should me make a list of who is bringing what? or will it be fly solo + some groups meals?
i'm also bring some paper plates and cups and eggs for breakfast. i'll bring some wood to cook with also. we'll be able to find plenty of driftwood for a campfire on the beach. i figured we'd just make sandwiches and stuff for lunch and cook meals for breakfast and supper.i'm bringing a couple of briskets and other stuff like chicken quarters sausage and fajitas to BBQ. i'll also bring some lunch meat and bread and other stuff i may think of later.
Some of this stuff I'll stop at HEB in CC as I drive by.

Meeting place still the headquarters parking lot. Time?

I was planning on bringing cereal, eggs, bread and some shredded cheese for the eggs wink.
I'll bring charcoal if needed or pitch in with buying some more wood.
Do we need to bring more paper plates/bowls or utensils.
Should me make a list of who is bringing what? or will it be fly solo + some groups meals?

Think I should have enough P plates. We share. I really don't know how many are really are going to be there? Roger you have a guess to numbers.
i'm thinking about 15
OK, sounds good on the number.
I will leave Houston 8 or so Thursday morning, planning to arrive at PINS early afternoon. Sponxx may need help hauling some of his stuff, after he packs up his family, so if needed I'll meet him and we'll convoy down together. I should have enough room for 2 large coolers, which I plan to fill with ice in Corpus, when I stop for gas & bait.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/20/12
As "tex n cal" has mentioned I will convoy with him and are awaiting confirmation on a rental with AWD. Space on mine will be tight with the wife and kids, but I would rather drive mine that rent a bigger one with 2WD and get stuck on the sand.

Do we need to buy fresh bait? what should we be getting?
I am planning on crab and shrimp fishbites, also have some gulp shrimp and crab.
We will have a big cooler and a smaller one soft sided one. If we need to redistribute stuff within all the other cooler to maintain ice that will work. We were planning on freezing the non carbonated drinks to help keep it cold for longer.

Ironically as I type this, there is ad banner for a 2012 7-seat Mitsubishi Outlander... we have the 2004 model.
Well folks, I am loaded and headed towards Texas. I have my laptop, so I can check in along the way. See Y'all in a few days. miles
be safe Miles
might get some fresh shrimp. i'll have a cast net to catch bait.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/20/12
Beach condition # is 361-949-8175 after 9:00 am.

Fires are allowed today, may change any day as area is drying out, will check with entry booth as I drive in and pay if I remember, if not Roger will remember.
What time at parking lot Roger?
i think patrick and sponxx are going to show up around noon or a little after.
i think patrick and sponxx are going to show up around noon or a little after.

OK, I have further to drive, kind of depends on when I get moving in the morning. Don't wait on me, figure you'll be about 30 or so out, think I can find you. Will be in my brown Jeep. Will call as I get close to town or you can call me as you head down south to let me know your gone on.
Need to stop in town for gas, ice top off. Have no idea where bait is bought so I'll just cast out with a empty hook. crazy
Birdwatcher and I will motel it Wednesday night in CC, buy licenses and stuff in the morning and be in the parking lot ready and waiting for y'all. Noon on the dune.

I'll buy beer. Think a case a person is enough or should I get two? LOL!
Birdwatcher and I will motel it Wednesday night in CC, buy licenses and stuff in the morning and be in the parking lot ready and waiting for y'all. Noon on the dune.

I'll buy beer. Think a case a person is enough or should I get two? LOL!

Get as much beer as you wish. I'm bringing a case of water, that's good too out that way.
And if I get to the store some hard stuff for the evening. cool

i'm going to get some tequila for y'all to try, from my buddy's distillery.
i'm going to get some tequila for y'all to try, from my buddy's distillery.

Sounds like fun.

Who is going to be the official pic taker? We need someone who will really take a few.
I have a semi-new Nikon, so I'll try to take a few.
Bringing a camera, too. I tend to shoot a lot. It's the excuse I use to get out of doing any real work, LOL!

Kidding on the amount of beer (I plan to get two cases), but I'll pick up some Gatorade, too.
i'll get my boy to bring his video camera
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/20/12
I'll bring our fancy Nikon and maybe a videocam... most likely my wife will be taking pictures of the kids, but she will snap a few of the group.
Roger, we might be getting there closer to 1-2pm.
It is a 4.5h drive from Houston and we will likely stop for gas/ice/bait. Patrick is leaving at about 8, a little earlier than me, but he has about 30 more minutes to drive to our meeting point.
I am bringing pisco, if you guys want pisco sour, bring a blender smile
[Linked Image]
that will work out since i got to work tomorrow and Wednesday i'll probably still be getting stuff together Thursday morning.
I'll bring our fancy Nikon and maybe a videocam... most likely my wife will be taking pictures of the kids, but she will snap a few of the group.
Roger, we might be getting there closer to 1-2pm.
It is a 4.5h drive from Houston and we will likely stop for gas/ice/bait. Patrick is leaving at about 8, a little earlier than me, but he has about 30 more minutes to drive to our meeting point.
I am bringing pisco, if you guys want pisco sour, bring a blender smile
[Linked Image]

Almost looks good enough to go out a buy a gas blender for------------
...or one of those DC-to-AC inverter thingies!
...or one of those DC-to-AC inverter thingies!

Like them engineers for solving problems. Got a small inverter in my Jeep---wonder how many watts a small blender uses-------I'll have to check.
Let's see, the vitamix 3600 blender ( has a off/on spout at the bottom of the container)uses 850 on normal speed. So I guess a 1100 watt or so would work fine to crush a little ice.
May be going to harbour freight very soon.
i have an inverter.
So I'll bring the blender. Were set up looks like.

Sponxx will you have the rest of the stuff.

Roger how about the tequila. Margarita's mix I could get?

however y'all like to drink it
I'll drink mine - with a smile.
tiger Albert caught yesterday evening

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/21/12
Albert sure is a fisherman. Tell him to save some strength for this weekend.

I will be bringing a large pot with a propane burner and another smaller pot with another propane burner, so we can cook fish either fried or boiled if we catch any. grin I have oil and will buy some potatos. I also have five gallons or more of water for cooking and washing up. Also some beer, whiskey and drinking water. miles
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/21/12
We'll have ice, I'll bring the pisco, sugar and key limes. That (and skill smile ) is the only thing needed... hehehe. Inverter sounds great, since I blew mine and don�t have one for the air mattress.

Well, 12 hours from right now I'll be boarding my plane. As there are no further updates, I'll turn off the 'pooter and will see you all Thursday.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/22/12
Your in good hands RR with Mike. See you on the beach.
just found out today i have a mandatory safety meeting Thursday morning, but i'll be done by 11 and back in corpus by 12.30 or so.
We'll see the group sometime about 2 or so Thursday.
Finished packing, tried to start my Jeep. Nothing--- Charged---nothing---so I pull the battery (30 months old)and am not a strong enough to push it (the Jeep is half in half out) the rest of the way into the garage. Get the next door neighbor to help on that. Hop into the red Jeep and go to oil change place for a new battery. Get the partial warranted battery, put the battery in, wonders never cease to happen. The Jeep started. grin

Be on my way soon Roger, meet you when you get to headquarters
parking lot on Thursday. I'll give you a call after 1:00 pm or so thursday.
didn't you have the same problem last year with the jeep, or was it the heater core?
i'm getting stuff ready myself.

[Linked Image]
Was a wonder mechanic at the dealership left a clamp off the heater hose that goes into the firewall to heater core. Pressure built up and kicked the hose off the metal hose.
I was really worried about overheating the engine, had to get a wrecker to get this Jeep to the shop.

He was only supposed to be working on AC.

Wonder mechanic didn't make a dime off that mistake. I think dealership was embarrassed on this one. Anyway we are good to go at this point. cool
didn't you have the same problem last year with the jeep, or was it the heater core?
i'm getting stuff ready myself.

[Linked Image]

Your working remember--------
Have some of the PVC beach pipes in the back yard junk pile-----Wonder, do I really need to go dig them out of snake/spider/rabbit pile and scare the poor old Jack?

Do we need em?
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/22/12
I am bringing a 2" PVC pipe for the surf rod, and have a couple smaller spikes for my lure rod and my son's. It is always convenient I think

Getting stuff ready too, and getting inpatient to hook up on a fish.
i have 15 pvc rod holders
well, I have two rod holders, and three rods smile

But I am bringing bachelor mashed potatoes...
i have 15 pvc rod holders

That should do
well, I have two rod holders, and three rods smile

But I am bringing bachelor mashed potatoes...

BMP's------------nothing better
I like here.The forum's looking interesting.
er trip doc sponnx couldn't get it out.

[Linked Image]

You guys couldn't find any better bait?

wink

Hope the owner of that arm is OK.
You guys couldn't find any better bait?

wink

Hope the owner of that arm is OK.
Leighton....

I just had rare seared tuna for the first time in my life last night...

No friggin wonder folks fish for that thing.

Jeff
Leighton....

Jeff

Well then, guess you'd be in really good shape if you happened to have a bud, one that'd be happy to ship you cuts of the very finest ruby red bluefin loin, freshly taken out of the Atlantic. Hey wait a sec, I just may know a guy... wink cool

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, bud. I'll put you down for a few slabs off the next rec fish we haul aboard, OK?

that was Johnathon a good friend of mines 16yr old son. he was forcing that bait needle through a bonito when it hit a tough spot so he pulled it back and pushed through again but it slid through right into his left arm 3 inches and past the barb. he's one tough kid he let sponnx open up the wound with a scalpel (nothing to kill the pain) so he could stick some forceps up in his arm to try and pull the meat a way from the barb so we could slide it out. couldn't get it to slide out plus we didn't know what the barb was hung on, so i took him to the hospital and they got it out.
i forgot my camera i took a few with my phone. rocky and patrick took several but it will probably be tomorrow before those get posted.

sponnx and his family.
[Linked Image]

birdy
[Linked Image]

gordon and patrick
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A fine time! Enjoyed meeting some new folks, and also seeing some fellow fishermen again! I finished unloading the truck an hour or so ago...

Morning:

[Linked Image]

Roger and Albert plotting strategy...

[Linked Image]

Gordon assisting with the rods, as the baits are kayaked out in tiger country...

[Linked Image]

Baits...

[Linked Image]

stingray bait attracts tiger shark, tiger eats around the hooks, though

[Linked Image]

I want to compliment Roger for all his efforts hosting, and fine cooking. Excellent eats provided by several people. I wasn't lucky enough to catch anything large and desirable, but I learned a bit more about surf fishing smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/27/12
Outstanding gents! Sorry I could not make this one. Setting aside time for the next one if possible!
Leighton....

Jeff

Well then, guess you'd be in really good shape if you happened to have a bud, one that'd be happy to ship you cuts of the very finest ruby red bluefin loin, freshly taken out of the Atlantic. Hey wait a sec, I just may know a guy... wink cool

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, bud. I'll put you down for a few slabs off the next rec fish we haul aboard, OK?

Was not trolling there in that post... simply commenting, but I won't show my complete ignorance and say no... grins.

Jeff
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/27/12
Roger - I did inject some local anesthesia before I slit the skin... I am not THAT medieval and he toughed it out like a trooper. Luckily it did not hit any arteries, or he would have been chumming out all the way into the 2nd gut and he could have been in trouble.

My concern was that it was tough to remove without stirring in there a lot and I was concerned about yanking some tendon or vessel. I wanted to remove it to make his trip back to the hospital easier, but lots of wind + Sand + saltwater + metal rod that just went through a dead fish don't make for the best conditions in keeping a wound clean so I did not want to open up the wound anymore.
Keep me posted on how he is recovering.
Will have pictures soon, I am on call tonight and my wife doesn't know how to post them.
I must add that the meats that Roger provided were awesome. I promise more ceviche and pisco sour for the next time.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/27/12
I must add that the meats that Roger provided were awesome. I promise more ceviche and pisco sour for the next time.

You noticed how quick the ceviche and pisco sour went?

Roger thanks for the trip, good food, fun fishing, wind about perfect, not near as hot as last year and I even got out in the surf and caught a few fish with the mini rod with braided line.

Fun meeting the new to me folks, Rocky, will read your books very soon, Thanks for bringing them and signing. Miles fished and fished and fished. Brought one back each trip out in the surf. Rocky and Patrick both lived out in the surf for the first two days. Rested on the third while I went out to try my luck. Lots and lots of bites.
Albert lost his helper, so he was the lucky one that made 4 or 5 trips out a 1,000 yards into the ocean to drop the shark bait and hook. No luck on sharks this trip. They just ate around the hook, Roger also lost a lot of bait to the nibblers as we all did.
Lots of whiting (southern king fish) were caught. I got 3 mini catfish that went back in the surf. Sponxx--lived out in the ocean fishing. So did his kids and wife.
Mike fished and fished and took care of his new dog.
We all ate some very good meat brought and cooked by Roger.

Patrick cooked his world famous potatoes, they were eaten quickly along with Rogers meat.

Ice--melts rather quickly on the beach so Rocky came up with a new drink called the RR.
We had a lot of tequila, Margarita mix. So he just mixed it hot, worked like a charm. whistle
Sounds like a really good time was had by all, despite the one fella that took the unfortunate skewering. Sorry I missed the festivities.
you're company was diffidently missed.
sponxx just found out from Johnathon's dad that he was admitted back into driscoll children's hospital last night with an infection. their pumping him full of antibiotics right now, apparently they didn't rinse that wound out when he first went in.

Ice--melts rather quickly on the beach so Rocky came up with a new drink called the RR.
whistle

Funny how "5 day" coolers only keep ice for 2 days mad I might have to bite the bullet & get a Yeti.
i have a source to get them wholesale.
sponxx just found out from Johnathon's dad that he was admitted back into driscoll children's hospital last night with an infection. their pumping him full of antibiotics right now, apparently they didn't rinse that wound out when he first went in.

crap, that's not good. Hope they can get it fixed. I could see how it would be hard to disinfect a long hole like that one.
that kiddos biggest worry is if he'll be able to fish sharkathon next month. to be 16 again and that be your only worry.

whistle

Funny how "5 day" coolers only keep ice for 2 days mad I might have to bite the bullet & get a Yeti.

I put ice (20 lb.) and food in my Yeti on Wed, added 10 lbs as I left CC, had very cold water as of Sunday night 6:30pm when I got home, emptied out the food and dumped remaining ice this morning. Took a big chunk of ice out to make margarita's on Sat.
But this one was not opened much. The beer/drink coolers are going to melt quick cause of the open close all of the time.
that kiddos biggest worry is if he'll be able to fish sharkathon next month. to be 16 again and that be your only worry.

Hope he heals quick. Keep us in the loop on the hand/wrist.
Roger, thanks for the update. Hopefully he gets better soon. It is good he has the spirit and drive to fish and I bet he will be able to. As long as the infection has not affected the deeper layers of muscle or tendons, the antibiotics should get ahold of it.
I had told Albert that he probably would get about 24h of IV antibiotics before going home...

crap, that's not good. Hope they can get it fixed. I could see how it would be hard to disinfect a long hole like that one.

Pat, with those kind of wounds you get a long tipped syringe that holds about 4oz of saline, stick it in the hole and flush it with 1-2 liters of water, but even then antibiotics are needed since the rod had gone thru a dead fish. Bad deal no matter how you slice it, and increasing the risk for infection in surrounding and deeper tissue was another reason I did not open it up more on the beach.
Send him my best wishes and tell him that my son was very concerned about "the boy with the wound"

I'll keep you up dated Pablo.

I wonder if rocky has made it home yet.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/28/12
Bet he knew Neil Armstrong and has gone that way for a few days. He sounded pretty sad over his death.
yes he was.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 08/28/12
stx, sorry i couldnt make it to pins, but every tractor but one crapped out last week , 7810, lost front wheel drive 5525 blew a turbo all to hell, still waiting on parts.7730 oil pump went out, so ive been up to my butt in grease and oil all week, was sorry to see a young man was injured i hope he heals soon, did you guys catch anything? post some more pictures really enjoy your pictures. rio7
rocky took a lot of pictures, i;m sure he'll be posting them up in a day or two. we caught a lot of whiting but nothing big, one big bait was picked up and partially eaten by a tiger shark judging from the teeth marks but it didn't get hooked.I believe Johnathon will be alright hes a tough kid.
A friggin' great experience in which is was once again my priviledge to be a part cool

We sure have an eclectic collection of great folks on the 'Fire.

Ya know I brung dog food, an even emergency back-up granola, but never had cause to reach for neither, and even the dog, who thought she had landed in heaven, was obliged to bury more rib and steak pieces than she had ever seen before in her whole four months of life.

And once again I'll reaffirm my decision, should I ever decide to become an alchoholic, to travel to Peru to do it, where I shall remain permanently soused on pisco wink

And surely in Hell, during Happy Hour, they serve green Gatorade spiked with Jim Beam grin

Thanks to everyone who could make it, especially Rog who set the whole thing up.

Birdwatcher
Roger, thanks for the update. Hopefully he gets better soon. It is good he has the spirit and drive to fish and I bet he will be able to. As long as the infection has not affected the deeper layers of muscle or tendons, the antibiotics should get ahold of it.
I had told Albert that he probably would get about 24h of IV antibiotics before going home...

Pat, with those kind of wounds you get a long tipped syringe that holds about 4oz of saline, stick it in the hole and flush it with 1-2 liters of water, but even then antibiotics are needed since the rod had gone thru a dead fish. Bad deal no matter how you slice it, and increasing the risk for infection in surrounding and deeper tissue was another reason I did not open it up more on the beach.
Send him my best wishes and tell him that my son was very concerned about "the boy with the wound"

And I think I can speak for the rest of the guys, that we appreciated you immediately assisting with the young man. He was pretty shaken up at first and I think your working with him got him calmed down, even though he was hurting.

I will have to confess I nearly had a oops moment myself, later that day. I was fishing a topwater lure when a seagull dived on it. I violently yanked on the line so the bird wouldn't get hooked, and that Lucky Craft with its three sticky sharp treble hooks flew straight back at me. I threw up an arm and caught the lure there; luckily none of the barbs went in. That was the end of topwater fishing blush
Reporting in.

I got home safely Monday evening and just had enough energy to get the musty clothes out of my luggage, hit a few high notes of the experience with my wife and conk out.

Will sort through the hundreds of photos I took and will post a link to them on Photobucket ASAP. Far too many to post here, but I'll get a few of them up.
good to hear you made it home safe and sound.
I made it home yesterday, tired but safe and sound. Here are a few pictures that I took. miles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Okay, boys and girls, here they are -- all 277 shots I took. (The first few dozen shots are the Aransas jetty, which Mike (birdwatcher) and I visited before the get-together.) I regret that I spent too much time fishing to get everybody featured. To those not appearing, I apologize. I also indulged myself with some artsy-fartsy landscape shots on the final evening, which some of you may enjoy.

This is a public album, so if you see any shots of yourselves or others that appeal to you, be my guest and download them for your pleasure.

PINS album
And more.
IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/minnowdoctor/011-4.jpg[/IMG]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
again

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
last ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
good pictures rocky and miles.
I would like to be there if every thing will be well planed and well arranged.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 09/11/12
Originally Posted by ralphmconger
I would like to be there if every thing will be well planed and well arranged.

Welcome to the 24 hour campfire Ralph.
This trip was in Aug., about a month ago Ralph.
The trip is a free trip.
We can charge you say a thousand dollars and we will make sure that you have fishing gear, shade, chair, food. cool

My main objection was that Rog really dropped the ball on the turtle girls this time around frown All I saw was two turtle guys.

Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 09/13/12
We has an amazing time. The kids enjoyed themselves, and though it was a lot of work for my wife and me, we sure enjoyed meeting the people from the campfire.
Here are a few select shots from the trip. I will post the link the photo album once I fix it, since it seems to have had trouble uploading a few of them. There are 300+ pictures with lots of the kids, that I will spare you.

Besides the unintended skewering of our "shark fisherboy" the other low point was the pickup truck towing away the lines of 11 or so fishing rods.
Mike and Miles
[Linked Image]

Rocky documenting
[Linked Image]

"I'll show you how to yak baits out"
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Petting fish
[Linked Image]

yummy?
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1112.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1138.jpg[/img]

Ceviche time - filleting our fish

[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1178.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1180.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 09/13/12
A few more

Part of Camp
[Linked Image]

Keep formation!
[Linked Image]

Nap time
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tangle time

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1261.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1260.jpg[/img]

Unaffected lucky soul
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1255.jpg[/img]
Posted By: eh76 Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 09/13/12
Great pics! Looks like a fine time.
Well, before this thread goes off the boards, I'd just like to point out again what a good time it was in such good company.

The presence Sponxx and his family in particular added depth and a touch of grace to the group that was appreciated by all of us aging geezers.

Anyhow, as promised, a reference to the chimney swift, one of the most common and familiar of American birds(moving along the Texas Gulf Coast by the thousand at present), and the occasion of the discovery of its wintering grounds, way the heck out there in the Peruvian Amazon, east of the Andes.

[Linked Image]

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1944/19441112.pdf

In 1934, in an attempt to discover just to where these birds were disappearing, the ornithologist John Calhoun and others banded 550,000 swifts as they roosted in chimneys in the upper south. It was the largest all-volunteer effort to study a migratory bird ever undertaken.

For years they continued banding swifts, discovering practically nothing of the half a million birds ringed and released, until 13 swift bands were recovered by a group of American Indians who had turned them into a missionary in Amazonian Peru.

Apparently the Indians had been smoking out a massive dead tree in the rainforest to harvest the birds roosting inside, a practice centuries old, only to find, this time, tiny metal bands on their legs. Birds that had been banded in Nashville, Tennessee. And thus, the wintering grounds of the Chimney Swift were discovered.

I have no idea where the Yanayaco River is, but the durned things must be thick as fleas down there by November, being as they nest in chimneys all over the eastern half of North America, heck we even have a pair nesting in a roof duct at my school every year.

Another Andean specialty (including Peru); the Cerulean Warbler, is best known only to bird watchers....

[Linked Image]

Note the unusually long wings, so much so that this 4" bird builds its nest atop larger horizontal branches with space for it to dive vertically and gain airspeed when leaving the nest.

It has to have those longer wings because its a long-hop migrant, most flying non-stop from the Andean cloud forests to the highlands of Central America to refuel, and then again direct and non-stop from those mountains clear to the Appalachians and other locations in the Northeast.

Here's a pic from the lower Hudson River Valley in New York State, about thirty miles upriver from NYC and yepper, there's Ceruleans, that spend the winter following army ant swarms in the Andes, nesting every year in the immediate area of the photo...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Sponxx Re: who wants to surf fish PINS - 09/25/12
Birdy, I remember you telling that story.
You won't find these anywhere near the Hudson.
Gallito de las rocas
Rocky would like the english version of the name
Cock-of-the-rocks... although it should be "Little cock of the Rocks"

Amazing coloration!

And before any smartaleck says it, that name does NOT translate to Rocky's Little Cock... shocked
???

Most birds dont even HAVE a penis, including that one.

I thought everyone knew that.
Try using a examine body weight. These loads have cables that come through it to help get base. When battling a seafood, the cable turns so it won't catch. The key is to use these sharp �claws� with huge sight. Create your rig, position the eye of the connect onto one of the cables. The whole rig is compacted and you'll be able to throw further out without it rotating about.
Originally Posted by Clarence15
Try using a examine body weight. These loads have cables that come through it to help get base. When battling a seafood, the cable turns so it won't catch. The key is to use these sharp �claws� with huge sight. Create your rig, position the eye of the connect onto one of the cables. The whole rig is compacted and you'll be able to throw further out without it rotating about.

Is that English?

Ed
Actually I'm glad those guys showed up, upon reflection I didn't think what I wrote last was very funny, and to have it left hanging as a thread ending was kind of a pain.

Maybe them random posts are triggered by post content.

Or maybe space aliens...

I've seen some wickedly funny translations of Chinese to English in electronics equipment manuals, but that was WAY beyond a language barrier! grin

Ed
Never had time for fishing! Too much powder that needed burning!
Planing to go fishing next weekend.
Maybe them random posts are triggered by post content.