Home
Posted By: NathanL Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Anyone want to throw some suggestions at a 2 door sporty car for one? No corvette suggestions as I just don't care for them. I haven't started looking. At one time last year I thought about getting a Maserati GT but wound up passing.

Would like to keep the price around $40k-$60k.

The only sports type car on the road that I see with any regularity that actually appeals to me visually has been the Nissan 370Z, but that's not saying there are others out there and to be honest 3/4 of the cars I see I can't even tell you who makes them.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
shelby cobra kit car.build it yourself.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
That doesn't really fit what I need or even possible at this point. I'm fixing to relocate for another 6 to 12 month contract so that would mean no shop, no tools etc...

I need a sporty car that is also capable of driving 12 hours in a day in the rain in the comfort of a good seat with the heat/ac going as well.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
I have owned a number of sports cars including Corvettes and a new Porsche. The Porsche was a maintenance and breakdown nightmare.

The Corvettes were reliable, long lasting and safe.

What I mean by safe is that if you zoom down the highway showing how fast you can go around a corner that can be dangerous.

If you floor a Corvette at a light and win and then slow down in a straight line that's safe.

Here in CT I see a lot of Audi's on the road.

[Linked Image]

Make sure the car has a separate locking trunk and not just a space behind the seats. A safe, legal place for your guns.
Cadillac ctsv
Posted By: battue Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Since the Vette isn't an option. If you are feeling frisky:

2013 Mustang Shelby GT 500 or 2013 Camero ZL1.

Euro options a BMW 5 series M.
out of the price range you posted but if you had the cash to blow.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-RTpw4MIdVc[/video]

Hennessey V1000 Twin Turbo Upgrade
Available for CTS-V Sedan, Coupe and Sport Wagon Models

Power:
� 1,000 bhp @ 6,400 rpm
� 950 lb-ft torque @ 4,000 rpm

V1000 Twin Turbo Upgrade Includes:
� 427 cid LS V8 Engine
� Forged Low Compression Pistons
� Forged Steel Connecting Rods
� Callies 4340 Forged Steel Crank
� Balanced and Blueprinted Rotating Assembly
� ARP Main Studs & Head Bolts
� High Flow Cylinder Heads
� Hennessey V1000 Camshaft
� Upgraded Fuel Injectors
� Upgraded Fuel System (Includes Lines, Rails & Pump)
� Twin Ball Bearing Turbochargers
� Dual Wastegates
� Electronic Boost Controller
� Stainless Steel Piping and Exhaust
� Air-to-Air Intercooler
� High-Flow K&N Air Filter
� 160 Degree Thermostat
� Professional Installation
� HPE Engine Management Calibration
� Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
� Hennessey Exterior Badging
� Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
� Hennessey Premium Floormats
� Hennessey Embroidered Headrests
� 1 Year / 12,000 Mile Limited Warranty

REQUIRED TRANSMISSION UPGRADE:
� Manual: Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Upgrade
� Automatic: Performance Build & Torque Converter Upgrade

Get More Info

Click Here to Request More Information
Call (979) 885-1300 or
Email [email protected]
Performance figures based on 93 octane fuel. Not California emissions compliant.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
BMW 335ci. Fantastic driving experience. Totally balanced. Comfortable for long trips. Dead reliable. If you want even more of the same get the M version. The best day-in, day out sports car I can think of.

RS
Posted By: Otter Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
BMW Z4 . . . I'm long past being able to get in and out of one, but they sure are sporty.
I'd plunk down the cash on a Ferrari 599 before I got that Caddilac.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Audi TT
BMW Z4
Cadillac CTS-V (can be had with a manual)
Lotus Evora a little bit more than $60k
Mercedes SLK
Nissan Z
Porsche Boxter & Cayman

A short list of some nice cars in your price range.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
A sports cart has to be a 2 seater convertible. A sporty car can be many things but a true sports car is a 2 seat convertible. I have had at least 18 or 20 over the years, some better than others, but my favorites always seemed to be British.

The TR-3 was one of my favorite to drive, the MGTF was my favorite looking, but the Ford Thunderbird is by far the best of any I have had. If I wanted a Corvette, I would have one. The Thunderbird is a better riding car, not as fast, but still no slouch.

The T-bird is built on a Jaguar platform with a V-8 engine nicely fit into the small chassis with independent suspension, traction control, 5 speed manual/automatic transmission, and of course, rear wheel drive.

Shifting is absolutely positive and silky smooth. It has dual exhaust, speed rated tires and large wheels/tires for great road handling.

You can't beat the look with the top up/down, or with the removable hardtop and of course Portal windows. They only made them for 5 years, but if you can find one, they are not disappointing...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
The Nissan rocks, especially for the price.

Posted By: shootinurse Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Posted By: ccd Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Audi TT RS; if you can find one...
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
55 to 57 Mercedes Benz 300SL gull wing.

Just a thought......
Originally Posted by ccd
Audi TT RS; if you can find one...

Ok that's one I have at least sat in, well a regular TT. I am too tall or just didn't fit.
Originally Posted by skullmonkey

Just a thought......

I think you put 1 (or possibly 2) too many zeros onto the end of my budget smile
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
As I happen to own a `011 Shelby GT 500 convertible I am very biased towards the Mustang pony cars. If necessary I have seating for 4, while at the same time having that two seat sports car fast `n fun feel as well. Though its body styling is fantastic, the Camaro was too confining for me and its dash design literally
sucks imo.

The new `13 GT500s are over $60K and does exceed your budget. Too bad. They are awesome and extremely well engineered machines for the money.

So why not go to the next best performing Mustang and get yourself a Boss 302. A magnificent power train. In fact and as I have read, many auto writers prefer the Boss 302 over the GT 500.

I wanted a convertible so the Boss 302 wasn`t an option. Boss 302s don`t come in convertibles.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
If you want different here you go:

http://www.cycle-car.com/

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/carrange/roadster/roadstermorgan.html

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/home.html
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
In lieu of Corvettes, which I like despite being a Ford guy, I'd agree with a Mustang GT or variant with the big engine.

All of the BMW, Porsche, Auchi, MB, Lexus, etc are going to be expensive to maintain.

I do think the new BMW Z4 is a good looking car, in contrast to the previous piece of crap model. It's a fairly small car with up to a 335 hp engine, and that's not trivial.

I'd personally like to drive a Lotus Elise whether or not I could tolerate it on a trip or not, I don't know, but 2000 lbs and 200 hp is hardly a bad thing grin

Of course, you could get this kind of sports car for the same money:

grin grin

Whatever I get has to be able to be a daily driver because I'll likely be driving it home on weekends and holidays while on contract which will be a 7-10 hour trip easily.

I appreciate the mustang suggestions but I've been there done that multiple times over. I just forget to mention it when I said something about the corvette. I know the corvette is a great perfoming car but I've never been a fan of them since they went to the Mako body style and beyond.
The Camaro is ugly next to the Challenger.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by pal
The Camaro is ugly next to the Challenger.
...........Well imo,,,,no! But I do much prefer the Challenger`s interior dash design as opposed to the Camaro`s.

The Camaro dash design sucks!
I've owned a '68 Camaro and a '69 Firebird and I'm not a fan of the new Camaro. They look like a boxy SUV with a front end that slightly resembles a Camaro and a chopped top. The first generation F body cars were smooth and pleasing with curves. The new ones look like an uparmored F body lol.

I remember watching a documentary on the design of the new Camaro and right then I knew it wasn't going to be for me. They started off with a great body design and then it went thru umpteen comittes and came out blah.

They got down to finalizing the design and the roof had to be raised to meet the minimum height requirements in Australia. There were multiple accounts of this and that's how they wound up designing the body frown
Posted By: CaneSlinger Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Here's what ya need. Dodge Challenger Hemi.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Muscle cars and sports cars/sporty cars are not the same thing.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Our local Ford dealer has the $50k version Mustang under the roof.

It looks badass, crazy green color, black leather, 302 Boss with 2 seperate keys(high and low horse).

Posted By: CCCC Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Been driving this old "sports car" for 41 years - still like it - and it is still hard to beat.
This model might be in your price range.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
G8
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Mazda Miata - there is a speedstr version.
Originally Posted by NathanL
Muscle cars and sports cars/sporty cars are not the same thing.

Just what is you definition of a sports car?

You have been given examples that will hang within seconds on a road course of some of the world�s best sports cars. Some of which will run into six figures.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Ford Mustang
Friend has the the Mustang Shelby GT 500 and if some don't think it is a sports car then they are hard to please.

Then again the American icon is the Vette and the new ones with the exception of interior quality, can compete with anything the rest of the world makes when it comes to performance.
I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not looking for a Mustang and that seems to be about 3/4 of the suggestions. Been there and done that - multiple times over. It would be like buying another truck when I already have 2.
Again, what's your definition of a sports car?

The Corvette, Mustang and Camero don't make the cut. Looks like you are left with the Euro trash. Test rides are cheap.

Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
I like the look of the 370Z. Don't know much about the European offerings. I really like the looks of the Subaru BRZ but wish they offered the turbocharged WRX engines in that little car. Personally, I like the Boss 302 but with a teenager that will be driving soon, its probably not in my best interest right now.
Posted By: 44henry Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by CCCC
Been driving this old "sports car" for 41 years - still like it - and it is still hard to beat.
This model might be in your price range.
[Linked Image]

+1111

44henry
Acura NSX: Like This.

* Exotic
* Reliable as a Civic
* Lots of performance for the $ outlay
* NOT a Corvette, Camaro, or Mustang.

Just a thunk,

FC
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
I agree with the Mazda Miata. Small, reliable as all get out, sips fuel. Kind of like having a newer/more reliable MG or Triumph Spitfire. Also not likely to draw the attention of every cop on the highway.

Can't find one new, now, but the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Skye were very distinctive/cool looking.

Not a car, but the Ford Lightning's were pretty fast and a 2-seater!!
The Miata is cute...for a little girl's car. grin
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I agree with the Mazda Miata. Small, reliable as all get out, sips fuel. Kind of like having a newer/more reliable MG or Triumph Spitfire. Also not likely to draw the attention of every cop on the highway.

I bought one for the ex (before she became such), and was glad to get rid of them both.

The Miata was stone reliable, and very fun to drive... if it was kept under 25 minutes or so. Beyond that, it quickly became damned uncomfortable. The 5th gear ('99 vintage) wasn't nearly tall enough, & cruising above 55 mph was a noisy affair, indeed. Also, the short wheelbase made that thing buck like crazy over expansion joints, especially if they were spaced just right.

We drove 2 hours in it once, & I felt beat by the time we got there.

FC
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Whatever I get has to be able to be a daily driver because I'll likely be driving it home on weekends and holidays while on contract which will be a 7-10 hour trip easily.

Are you kidding? Seven-10 hours in a sportscar, driving, what, on limited access highways?

Do you even know what a sportscar is for? wink
I had a 99 Miata, which I drove for a couple of years. It was a good car, and not uncomfortable to me. I once drove it from California to Texas and back, one Christmas. smile

The models with the 6 speed tranny have an overdrive, so the engine rpm(and noise) is significantly less than on the 5 speed models, with have 1:1 gears in 5th.
Posted By: tzone Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Mustang GT 500.

[img:left]http://www.stangnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2013_gt500.jpg?37e6df[/img]
Posted By: Raeford Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

* Exotic
* Reliable as a Civic

Just a thunk,

FC

This^^^^^
Posted By: catman925 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12

my step dad say miata is french for man getter
Lease a new Porsche 911 Carerra S with PDK, lovely to drive, comfy and damn fine to look at.
Posted By: JPro Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
For that kind of money, looking at fun to drive blended with day to day comfort and practicality, I would be leaning toward a low-mileage BMW M3 coupe of recent vintage. I hope to get there one of these days....
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Mark my words the Pontiac Solstice is going to become a collectors car the value of one is going to do nothing but increase as time goes on.

http://www.pontiac.com/vehicles/pontiac_vehicles.html#/SOLSTICE

Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
I need a sporty car that is also capable of driving 12 hours in a day in the rain in the comfort of a good seat with the heat/ac going as well.

Not a sports car, then, but a sports sedan.
Posted By: Partagas Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Get a Subaru WRX and put the extra cash into something else cool.

Or get the Porsche Cayenne S if you want a multipurpose sporty car. The optional engine makes 500 horse IIRC.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Boxter,
M-Roadster
Cayman
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
If you're going to spend alot of seat time, get a mercedes. If it has to be sporty than the slk250 would work, but if you really just want something smooth and quiet for long drives, get an e-350 sedan.

The only downside is the fit and finish and ride is so nice you'll have a hard time driving anything else.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
I drove a BMW 128 a few years ago. Fantastic car, and comfortable to boot. The new BRZ/FR-S cars are sweet indeed, and there'l be tuner parts out before you know it. The solstice is not near as good for traveling as you might think. The neighbors have one, and can't use it for trips due to comfort issues and zero trunk space with the top down. We've run our Miata to Maine, Williamsburg, and Hilton Head without issues. Get the touring model with cruise and adjustable seats, and the 6-speed and you'll be fine.
Posted By: kend Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Mini Cooper S
Posted By: KFWA Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by Partagas
Get a Subaru WRX and put the extra cash into something else cool.

Or get the Porsche Cayenne S if you want a multipurpose sporty car. The optional engine makes 500 horse IIRC.

or a Mitsubishi EVO
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Are you kidding? Seven-10 hours in a sportscar, driving, what, on limited access highways?

Do you even know what a sportscar is for? wink

Yes but you still have to get them from point A to point B a couple of times a year. What would be your plan, buy it and sell it every 3-4 months?

I guess I should have been more clear as well it will more than likely have to be a new car because if you read the craigslist here for cars or even the natiional used car listing sites it's exactly what I drive and everyone else drives here - a truck which is why I don't see any of these cars mentioned. Meaning I would have to drive 2 hours each way to see any of these cars new or used and driving 4 hours to check out used cars doesn't interest me much at all. Not that used cars can't fill the bill but thought of going thru all that with people who have something used for sale on craigslist and then driving 2 hours to get there and well you know the rest.

I don't know anyone personally who owns a car except my grandmother who is 93. Even my mom drives a Ford F250.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

The only downside is the fit and finish and ride is so nice you'll have a hard time driving anything else.

Oh crap!You said the magic words. Walt will be here to tell you the superior fit and finish and ride quality of a Mercedes is all liberal media bias!

Sorta like saying Beetlejuice,Beetlejuice,Beetlejuice!
Posted By: XL5 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
The BMW 3-series owns that price point, and has for more than 20 years. The 335i starts at $43K.
Originally Posted by XL5
The BMW 3-series owns that price point, and has for more than 20 years. The 335i starts at $43K.

I might try and locate a BMW dealer and check into them. If I have seen one I never noticed which BMW it was.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
* Exotic
* Reliable as a Civic
Very good suggestion - fine car.

I agree with the Mazda Miata. Small, reliable as all get out, sips fuel.
All true, but a GUTLESS machine with mediocre handling characteristics - absolutely no thrills except cuteness.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Miata is a girl car, plain and simple. when i see a man driving one, i question his sexual orientation and especially his taste in cars. as uncool as they get. if you own one, check your genitalia.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
For an outdoors-related forum, you guys really disappoint me. wink

On my bucket list...

The new Meyers Manx
Anyone have first hand experience with the Porsche Cayman? Talked to a dealer this morning who had 2 in stock both in my price range. Know nothing about them.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by FreeMe

On my bucket list...

The new Meyers Manx

Can't help it, my mind went right here when I clicked your link. grin

[Linked Image]
This is what I'm planning for my midlife crisis car.

[Linked Image]

Just doesn't work for the OP's description.
Posted By: mtmisfit Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Pontiac Solstice
Saturn Sky
Ferrari 275 GTS
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by FreeMe

On my bucket list...

The new Meyers Manx

Can't help it, my mind went right here when I clicked your link. grin

[Linked Image]

LOL!
When I get a place with a large enough garage I am going to get another Fiat X19.

[Linked Image]

Wow,can I drive it when you get it?
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Here's my car, not even close to what you want to spend, and not exotic, but it is a sports car.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucktales Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by Otter
BMW Z4 . . . I'm long past being able to get in and out of one, but they sure are sporty.

My big sis has a 2000 or so Z3. Cool, clean car.
I told her I want first dibs on it when she gets rid of it.
Still waiting.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
Anyone have first hand experience with the Porsche Cayman? Talked to a dealer this morning who had 2 in stock both in my price range. Know nothing about them.

Never owned one but have driven two.

FANTASTIC car!

A stiffer, slightly better handling Boxster.

The design is such that this would be the quickest and fastest Porsche there is except for Porsche's decision to not allow any of their cars outperform the 911.

Still is the best handling Porsche ever made.

You NEED one!
Posted By: temmi Re: Sports car, small car - 09/26/12
My bride had a convertable Nissan 370Z

She loves it

Snake

[Linked Image]

When I looked at the Maserati GT last year they had just got in a Ferrari 599 that was already spoken for of course. I really liked it a lot but couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on a car. I really liked the way the Maserati drove and was a mix of sporty/touring but I really didn't like the paddle shifters. I'm sure you eventually get used to them.
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Never owned one but have driven two.

FANTASTIC car!

A stiffer, slightly better handling Boxster.

The design is such that this would be the quickest and fastest Porsche there is except for Porsche's decision to not allow any of their cars outperform the 911.

Still is the best handling Porsche ever made.

You NEED one!

I might go look at the 2 they have.
The 360's have taken a pretty good hit on depreciation and are near bottomed out, but the engine just doesn't have enough hp for me to get really excited about it, and it still uses belt driven cams which are a major maintenance expense.

The 430 has gone to a chain driven cam, replacing the factory headers with aftermarket both fixes the pre-cat failure issue and gives you an additional 20hp for over 500hp peak. I figure in 5 years they will have depriciated to the point that a clean one can be had at right under 6 figures. But then you stat thinking, well the 430 is so much better than the 360, and the 458 is better still...

I'm only interested in mid engine Ferraris, I'd really like a V-12 but the testarossa is a just a bit to antiquated in the interior and I was never a huge fan of the look. But the modern V-8's do sound good especially with a 8500 rpm redline. I guess that's what appeals to me about Ferraris, they are works of art inside and out, sound like an orchestra and the performance is beyond what I could ever realize on the road.

If money weren't an object I'd have an F-40, end of story.
Well, since we're talking Ferraris...

[Linked Image]

I never will own a Daytona, but definitely could go for a Testarossa, always did like the look of them.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
When I get a place with a large enough garage I am going to get another Fiat X19

If you've got a big enough garage and enough tools to keep a Fiat X19 running, you're a lucky man!!
Posted By: setch Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
go retro...a 911 SC. It's not long before I get one myself.
Posted By: Jayhawker Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
At a car show a couple of years ago, I sat in a Mazda RX8 and was really impressed how the seat and controls felt. It might be a little cramped if you're a big man, but it fit me great.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12

Solid performance with Porsche savvy - one fine car with great possibilities. IMHO likely to be the next affordable racer for guys that like to race Porsches without spending too much for/on aging ones. Maybe already is - haven't been to Brainerd or Elkhart Lake for a Porsche race rally for quite a while.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Lotsa people already race the Cayman and there is even a Cayman spec series. At least there was.
Saw a ton of them the last time I went to Elkhart Lake for the vintage races.
Posted By: pal Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Porsche will be high maintenance.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Here you go:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/0908_2009_porsche_cayman_s/
Mainteneance on Porsches is an issue, though. For dead solid reliability, the 370Z is my pick. But I've been a Nissan slut since '97. grin

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0812_2009_nissan_370z/
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

The service charges are high but they are reliable, proven cars.

Sure, some things about German cars do require more attention. Like the requirement (suggestion actually and good practice IMO) to flush and fill the braking system every two years.

I've owned a lot of German cars and even have a 1966 Triumph TR4A IRS which still sports nearly all of her original Lucas electrical components.
Maybe I'm lucky!

I've owned a lot of German cars and even have a 1966 Triumph TR4A IRS which still sports nearly all of her original Lucas electrical components.
Maybe I'm lucky!
Luck doesn't begin to describe it! laugh
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayman-s/2006/reliability.html
I meant the Lucas electrics. whistle
I know you did but I was posting that Edmunds link before I read your post.

I have changed the points and condenser and of course both headlights and various other bulbs but by and large the Lucas stuff is still working nearly fifty years after they were made.

Shocking!
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Reading those reviews of the Porsche Cayman has me concerned about the legroom. I already have issues with most cars as they are and have tried several of the Audi's and have never fit in one either. It seemed to be a recurring theme on the Cayman reviews.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
A Porsche Boxter or Cayman depending upon your desire for a coupe or roadstar. My wife drives a Boxter and it is a kick-azz little car with room for groceries, light in weight, reliable eith 0-60 times of 5.5 sec's or less and top end nearing 170 mph. This is Porche's slowest car. Sticks like glue too and is very forgiving when one goes a bit too far. Her's has the optional 18" S model wheels and tires that just work. Go the car rags like Top Gear (even Consumer Reports) and see that it is always on top. A fine car IME. Last year we picked up a dealer used 2010 with some bells and whistles with 4k miles for $42k OTD. This coming with a 100k mile warranty as well. A bargain I thought.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Went the sports car route for several years with a twin turbo Toyota Supra. Extremely fast, handled like a dream, and extremely reliable. Also rare enough to turn heads. Comfortable for long trips was not it's strong suit. Traded with a friend for this

[Linked Image]
Mercedes SLK
Much more comfortable, still a head turner, although not nearly as fast. Guess I've outgrown my need for speed.

BTW, my hunting vehicle is a Lexus LX450 (Toyota Landcruiser clone). Guess I'm getting addicted to comfort as I get older!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12

I have found that some exercise helps you to stay in shape, so I do pull-ups. I pull up in my nice red car wearing aviators, it still works for me...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RinB Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Have a 2010 and had a 2006 Corvette. You should change your mind. I have driven them daily. Easy breezy lemon squeezy.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by pal

Not if you follow the specs and do the work yourself on a regular basis. They are well-engineered and built, and thus easy to maintain if you stay with the program. They are different, and some folks don't get the differences.
Posted By: pal Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

You are confused about the difference between reliability and maintenance costs.

Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Went the sports car route for several years with a twin turbo Toyota Supra. Extremely fast, handled like a dream, and extremely reliable. Also rare enough to turn heads. Comfortable for long trips was not it's strong suit. Traded with a friend for this

[Linked Image]
Mercedes SLK
Much more comfortable, still a head turner, although not nearly as fast. Guess I've outgrown my need for speed.

BTW, my hunting vehicle is a Lexus LX450 (Toyota Landcruiser clone). Guess I'm getting addicted to comfort as I get older!

I really wish Toyota would bring the Supra back, especially the twin turbo.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

You are confused about the difference between reliability and maintenance costs.

as a former owner of 3 different German sports cars - I can tell you what the service manager of the Porsche dealership told me after I complained about bringing the car in multiple times

"If you wanted a Honda, you should have bought a Honda"

so I did
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Sports car, small car - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by fburgtx
When I get a place with a large enough garage I am going to get another Fiat X19

If you've got a big enough garage and enough tools to keep a Fiat X19 running, you're a lucky man!!

Granted!It won't be a daily driver that's for certain!I had one for five years and except for a few ghost electrical issues it was a great car.It was a lot of fun on tight country roads.One of my neighbors was a Fiat mechanic for many years so I learned how to work on it from him.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Sports car, small car - 09/28/12
It is one of the best handling cars you can buy.

I would have bought one but the top edge of the windshield is level with my eyes.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sports car, small car - 09/28/12
I saw a Cayman in person today at Lowes of all places. I will really have to go sit in one and see if I can fit. I'm starting to have my doubts however.

Going to San Antonio on business in two weeks and I assume they will probably have more cars on the lot to look at so I'll probalby spend a little time doing that while I'm there.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Sports car, small car - 09/28/12
The Cayman has a dialed back engine to make it a mid level priced (for Porsche anyways) model as to not hurt the 911 sales.

Posted By: NathanL Re: Sports car, small car - 10/21/12
Drove a Cayman today. It's a really nice car but as I suspected I didn't fit well.
Posted By: WinModel70 Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Nothing comes close to the performance of the Nissan GT-R. You can find them used in your price range. The GT-R is unreal.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
The new Porsche that I had was a breakdown nightmare.

It suffered a complete engine breakdown and was in the Porsche dealers garage for months waiting for some part.

Then when it finally got running the shift lever came out of the floor. The 1966 Porsche 912's shift lever mounts in the usual place off the floor ahead of the front seats. It has a ball at it's end that rotates through the gears and pulls on cables to the transmission. The bracket that the ball rotates in has a hole in it's top for the shift lever and is attached to a bracket bolted to the floor. The part the shift lever operating ball rotates in wore out and shift lever popped out of it and the transmission was jammed.

I brought the assembly, which was easy to remove, to the dealer and asked for a replacement. Weeks went by with no part and therefore no car! It was the only car that I had.

My late dad made a new part on his lathe and welded it to the bracket and it worked right off. I still have that part here in my garage. A memory of my dad's ability and Porsche's breakdown.

[Linked Image]

During the long breakdown I bought an old Chevy Impala 6 for low price. The car had a huge trunk and a roof rack was good for carrying long things. I was working on building an addition on the camp. The Impala was so useful. The Porsche was a painful mess.

I have owned a couple of newer Corvettes since then. Great cars.
Posted By: TooTech Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
For less money and excellent performance get a Subaru WRX STI. You even get FOUR doors instead of just two!
Well, seeing as how you brought up the Z, and as no one else has mentioned this option: Infiniti G37S Coupe with the 6MT.

Reliable. Good looking. Decent performance, as in faster than a stock STI in a straight line. Ride is comfortable for long hauls. Base is under $40K. Sporty, though not a sports car. Won't take it in the rear (as much) as you will with the Subies and the Evo when it comes to insurance.

If you need more go-fast, there's the Stillen supercharger. You could make one heck of a firebreathing monster for $60K

As soon as the wife's Highlander is paid off (January) we're going to pick up a used G37S Sedan.

Scott
Posted By: duckster Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Porsche Boxter or Cayman.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Originally Posted by duckster
Porsche Boxter or Cayman.

Read further up the page....unless someone can shrink me 3-4" it's not going to work.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Nathan have you set in one of the Nissan Z cars?

IIRC they were quite a bit more comfortable than the Porsches, but I'm only 6'1" so may fit all of them easier than you do.

my time was limited in the Z, used to date my accountants g'friend long time ago, he'd bought the car for her. Both were a fun ride.

Ahhh the ignorance of youth! How stupid do you have to be to date your accountant's g'friend?

I'll be curious to see what you get. I'm doing work to my old 944 and it's put away for winter currently.

I don't like to mechanic so I think when I get the work finished on it I will sell it and see about getting something of a more recent vintage to drive.
Posted By: duckster Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
I have a friend 6'4" and he has a Porsche. I guess it depends on your version of comfort. I have driven the CTS-V and if you want decent space and still haul butt and corner on a rail for $60k, that might be your ticket.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Well, seeing as how you brought up the Z, and as no one else has mentioned this option: Infiniti G37S Coupe with the 6MT.
There you go....
Posted By: JPro Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
My insurance agent had one of the late model Nissan Z cars and really liked it. He is probably 6'3" or so and never mentioned it being too small. Isn't the Infiniti Coupe a bit longer, with a bit more room?
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Thru the years I have owned and driven extensively most of the well known muscle and sports cars. Muscle cars included the original Pyymouth Fury and a Dodge challenger Hemi. Sports cars included,several Porsche's,Jags , a Lotus Elite Coupe,BMW 6 series and on and on. I just returned from a 6000 mile cross country journey. It was in my 2006 Mustang Fastback. This has all the options,leather seats,full instruments,traction control,suspension options,strut tower brace,and on and on. Driving is impeccable, comfort is excellant,and reliability is above par.This will be the last year for this body style they are going to screw it up next year. If I did not have this car I would probably have one of the stretched Mini Coopers (I had one of the originals many years ago). I have found over the years that while sports cars are neat to look at,they are no more fun to drive than a big fine handling car and don't have nearly the space for even bring groceries home from the supermarket and are generally more expensive to maintain. My last sports car was a Nissan 340ZX. It did,at least , have decent trunk space.
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
I am afraid your size and long travel is going to limit the true sports car and move you more toward a sporty sedan. With that in mind, I'd look at one of the lexus or infinity models as well as maybe a Nissan Maxima or Z are a 1/2 way compromize. The Lexus GS 450h is a sweet ride with plenty of sport and comfort.

For a lower budget car, I kinda like the crosstour from Honda: a v-6 in an accord size car will fly and should work for longer trips.

Posted By: WinModel70 Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Mercedes AMG C63 is also a sweet ride.
You could always get a 2 door Toyota Tundra with a 5.7L engine with a Supercharger that will give you 520+ HP. Not many cars on the street can hang with a truck that will run 120+ mph in the 1/4 mile.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Originally Posted by skullmonkey

Just a thought......

I'm thinking he doesn't want to mortgage his life away or sell major body parts...

Good idea though! They've always been a favorite of mine.

Ed
Posted By: jbmi Re: Sports car, small car - 10/22/12
Here's my 60th birthday present. You can get the M Series if you really want to go fast.
I've had more compliments on this car than any I've ever owned, from young kids to people my age, women really like it, my wife is just amazed at what they say. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JPro
My insurance agent had one of the late model Nissan Z cars and really liked it. He is probably 6'3" or so and never mentioned it being too small. Isn't the Infiniti Coupe a bit longer, with a bit more room?

I'll have to rescind my suggestion. I just read a review of the new coupe, and it said that headroom is compromised in the pursuit of sleek lines. As in if you're over 6', you probably won't like it. I'm 6', and have no issues in the sedan though.

As for dimensions, the G's are a foot longer in wheelbase, and 400 lbs heavier. No difference in track width. Especially in the sedan, you're getting a good chunk of that wheelbase equating to more room in the passenger compartment. I've sat in the rear seats, and if the forward seats are not all the way back, it's tolerable, though certainly not luxurious.

Scott
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Sports car, small car - 10/23/12
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6995280/1/This_looks_like_fun
I saw that video a few days ago while trying to dig up some information on shifter carts. Which led to other videos of the Sandhills Open Road Challenge, the Silver State Classic Challenge and the Big Bend Open Road Race. Barrels of fun at 200mph on public highways. I'll leave the youtube searches to the reader.

Scott
© 24hourcampfire