Home
Posted By: stxhunter nilgai - 03/26/13
i made a post in general big game but thought i'd post it here also.
headed down to the land cut in the morning for a couple of days fishing and nilgai hunting. i'm taking the laptop, i should be able to get service with att down there so i can keep everyone updated.

this is where we'll be, i'll be hunting the spoil island in the middle of the image, if you zoom in on the north end of the island you can see all the tracks of nilgai going to the island

http://goo.gl/maps/959wW
Posted By: calikooknic Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Happy hunting and fishing. Good luck to you Roger.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Good luck Rodger!
Posted By: Scott F Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Have fun!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Thats awesome Roger.

What ya gonna bang it with? 300RUM?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Good luck and be safe Roger! We should be down in Kenedy co. This weekend about 7 or 8 mile south of Los olmos creek there west of Sarita. Young son had a run in with a big blue bull there last weekend of of deer season. Scared the schidt out of him LOL! Think I'm gonna just relax and enjoy the weekend! I need it!

Bob
Posted By: eyeball Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Roger, there seems to be several islands on the west side of the IC south of Baffin Bay.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
good luck! smile
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
thanks guys, i'm taking the 270, the scope on my 300rum has been giving me fits its going back to Leupold to get fix and my 300wm is without a scope.i'm going to have to do a lot of walking across those mud flats so that light 270 will be nicer to carry. i'm going to try and keep my shoots under a 100 yards if possible.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Roger, there seems to be several islands on the west side of the IC south of Baffin Bay.
there are but only the one completely surrounded by water is legal to hunt. the other are connected to the kenedy ranch by vegetation in some way and are considered part of the ranch.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Good Luck to ya!Had me some tonight,grilled with garlic butter sauce.That nilgia is awesome tablefare!
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
If ya look good ya can even see the nilgai that made then tracks. Believe right around the 5th bush to the left.
Posted By: eh76 Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
If ya look good ya can even see the nilgai that made then tracks. Believe right around the 5th bush to the left.

hey hockey puck chuck you want to go on a wolf or bear hunt?
Posted By: Mako25 Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
That nilgia is awesome tablefare!

So I keep hearing!

stx, best of luck man, going to be a real test for a rifle, and scope. There's saltwater, then there's Baffin Bay - nothin' else quite like it.
Posted By: Big C Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Man, that sounds like a cool trip. Surf and turf, South Texas style!! Hope you get one of the big blue bastards!
Posted By: victoro Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
I bought a Ruger 375 a couple of years ago in case I get a chance to hunt nilgai one of these days. I have heard they taste better than deer. How much meat do you get off a full size nilgai bull? A guy on our deer lease told me that nilgai meat is nasty. Of course he is a liberal Obama supporter so he can't be too smart. We kicked him off the lease this year because he is such a jerk. The only reason he was able to get on the lease in the first place is that he's married to my best friend's daughter.
i've had it once and it was really good, much better than deer. cows weight around 400# and bulls 7-800. never shot one before so not sure on the percentage of boned out meat.

i have read that if they are eating huisache it can give them a strong taste.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Originally Posted by victoro
I bought a Ruger 375 a couple of years ago in case I get a chance to hunt nilgai one of these days. I have heard they taste better than deer. How much meat do you get off a full size nilgai bull? A guy on our deer lease told me that nilgai meat is nasty. Of course he is a liberal Obama supporter so he can't be too smart. We kicked him off the lease this year because he is such a jerk. The only reason he was able to get on the lease in the first place is that he's married to my best friend's daughter.

And I knew I was going to read taste like chicken---------------

Have a good trip Roger
Posted By: eyeball Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Roger, a partition will ventilate ones heart and lungs from 300 yards.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Hope you're having a good hunt, and are safe and sound, Rog'.

Not for nuttin', and I think it's great if nothing comes of it, but you've got more faith in human beans than I do, posting specific hunting locations. In both fishing and hunting circles in these parts, posting general areas and giving advice is done, but maps and whatnot is pretty much unheard of. I'll be damned if I'd post a map of say, one of my duck honeyholes, or where a monster comm bluefin bite is on...In many places, sadly enough, there are those who will absolutely take that kind of friendly info and exploit it. Sucks, but that's the reality.

Gimme' a ring when you get back, and hope you're having fun amigo.
Posted By: EdM Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Whack a big one. They are darn fun to hunt spot and stalk. My second bull was killed on the Mariposa Ranch outside Falfurrias and the old Mexican cook made incredible chicken fried steak and the rest of the fixin's with it.
fixing to head out, Leighton that area is pretty much common knowledge here in tx, but not a whole lot of people are willing to do this hunt because of all thats involved in getting down there. plus its a physically harder hunt than most are use to.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
OMG, the bird watching be excellent there this time of year grin

Anyhoo... sounds like an incredibly good time. Have you hunted this island before?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Does one need a special permit to hunt that island? I'm not that familiar with TX game regs. And is that island part of PINS?

Thanks for the link too. I'm assuming you mean the relatively long thin island? ANd when I zoomed in to the channel north of that island, between the shore and the islands it looks like I can see the trails you mentioned. Are the five dark dots animals crossing the channel? Judging from the shadows of the plants on the island, it looks like the shadows of some sort of "critter". I don't know if the link will keep the zoom level up, but here's what I'm trying to show:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pita+island&ll=27.067839,-97.441692&spn=0.076735,0.165997&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Pita+Island&t=h&z=13

Cool looking place to hunt anyway.
Best of luck.
Geno
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i've had it once and it was really good, much better than deer. cows weight around 400# and bulls 7-800. never shot one before so not sure on the percentage of boned out meat.

i have read that if they are eating huisache it can give them a strong taste.

they are that heavy, and you are going to use a .270? My GOD man, we all know that the .270 won't even kill a whitetail!
Posted By: poboy Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Happy huntin' Roger! Bring honor to the .270!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
STX, dont let these guys give you any crap about your 270, it will get the job done. ive killed my share of nilgai, with a .243 and a .270. killed one with .223, just put it where it counts . good luck, getting close on that island might be a little tough.keep us all posted on how you do. P.S. hope you have help hauling it out. rio7
Posted By: temmi Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Good luck

Snake
Posted By: rost495 Re: nilgai - 03/26/13
Huisache can really make them bitter in the spring. Enough so that for me its not worth the effort

At some point if its easier around the mud flats with an airboat... you know where one is....

Jeff
Posted By: Wtxj Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
You still out and about?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Originally Posted by RIO7
STX, dont let these guys give you any crap about your 270, it will get the job done. ive killed my share of nilgai, with a .243 and a .270. killed one with .223, just put it where it counts . good luck, getting close on that island might be a little tough.keep us all posted on how you do. P.S. hope you have help hauling it out. rio7

the 270 and 130 gr core-lokt worked like the hammer of thor.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Pic's please!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13

You mean it bounced off and came back at you?!?!? Did you catch it? grin

Ed
I'll post up pics in a while. i need to go run an errand real quick.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Hammer of Thor grin.......waiting impatiently for hero photos. cool
Posted By: gunner500 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

You mean it bounced off and came back at you?!?!? Did you catch it? grin

Ed

LMAO Ed laugh, Congrats STX.

Gunner
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
I might have to go real exotic next year on the hog hunt, and shoot a 270 grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I might have to go real exotic next year on the hog hunt, and shoot a 270 grin

You do and I will too. shocked

Gunner
Posted By: eh76 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
I owned one of those 270 things for about a week once.....
we got to bluff landing yesterday morning around 7:30. there was 4 of us going pat, carl and james to fish and me to hunt. we took pats 22ft stoner skiff.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

it was about a 40 mile run down to the cabin which was a mile past where i was going to hunt. we got there and got our gear situated.
[Linked Image]

the other guys getting ready to fish and me hunt.
[Linked Image]

this is a view of the island, i soon found out it was a lot farther to wade across that flat than what it looked like.
[Linked Image]

got up to the island after a 500 yd wade, took off the waders and got my boots on and other gear ready and took off.
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/562189_4217728976027_841758828_n.jpg[/img]

it was 10:40 i found a spot on the north end of the island to leave my pack and decided to walk to the south end of the island. found some interesting stuff. carl had told me that nilgai will use the same spot over and over to chit. found 3 skeletons on chit piles with spent 270 cases laying near by.
also saw lots of old tortes shells.

didn't see any animals,but lots of sign.
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/1824_4217736696220_1287734801_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/486342_4217738136256_1402692576_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408773_4217734856174_95815381_n.jpg[/img]
Don't leave me hang'in brother!!!
[Linked Image]

after the 4 hr walk from one end of the island to the other end and back i did a little looking around and found this spot someone had set up.
[Linked Image]

it was on the very north end of the island facing the island to the north and over looking these spots where the deer hogs nilgai use wading across from one island to the other.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

what the beach looked like.
[Linked Image]

i first saw the bull over a mile away while i was glassing, he wading across a flat. i watched him for about 30 minutes making his way closer. he eventually got out of site but i was pretty sure after seeing the game trails on google earth that there was a good chance he would come out across from the island 300 yrds north from me. around 7 i saw him as he started wading across to that island. he followed the bank on it for a while then turned and started wading strait across to me. everything was happening just like i figured, which was really hard for me to believe the way my luck runs sometimes.i got set up and watched him wade across when he was about 75-80 yrds slightly quartering away, he stop and looked my way so i let him have it on the point of the shoulder. that bull just collapsed right there like someone pulled a plug.it was 7:30. not bad for a old 700 adl with a simmons scope bought for $200. the bull was still about 30 yrds out in the water which turned out to be a good thing.
[Linked Image]

got a hold of the other guys with the walkie talkies and it was close to 8:30 by the time carl and james waded across to help me. we took some pics.
[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/733996_4217721055829_950374601_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/535860_4217723255884_208550820_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/540748_4217714175657_796392000_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/540146_4217715135681_129277539_n.jpg[/img]

Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Surf Hunting for Nilgai,..who would have thought....

Nice One.!

They good eatin.?
Outstanding Rodger! Way to make a plan come together and great trophy too!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
how did you get him back to dry land and your truck? tie a rope around his neck and float him out.hope he is as good eating as the last one i got. good job. rio7 P.S. >270 strikes again!!!
Posted By: willowcreek1996 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Congratulations. Its fun when a plan comes together. Brined nilgai.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Awesome!Glad you got one.Now you need to try some grilled with garlic butter sauce.
then the work started. there is no way a person could do this hunt solo. luckily i had two 25 yr old's to help. the bull being in the water turned out to be a good thing since it was buoyant, carl and james starting the from this spot 600rd drag.
[Linked Image]

getting it in the boat was a bitch. i don't buy that pulling a 1000lb gator in the boat stuff on swamp people. it took all 4 of us to get this 500lb animal in the boat and it was a job.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

we got back to the floating cabin around 9:45 and quartered it up.
[Linked Image]
exit wound and a pic of the thick skin on the shoulder and neck.
[Linked Image]
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/602106_4217754136656_1560359795_n.jpg[/img]

this hunt was a lot of work but cost me a total of $80 for my share of the fuel, bait and food.
it was a lot of work but worth it.

Hell ya I'm all in for $80!!!
carl told me horns over 6 1/2 inches are considered a trophy, this one had 9 inch horns.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Hell ya I'm all in for $80!!!

Hell ya,..I might even go $90.!!

laugh
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
That is one of the more interesting hunts I've seen documented here on the fire. It ranks right up with the camel safari that was posted late last year.

Great pics, STX.
we caught some fish as well. specs and drum out of 9 mile hole and under the cabin lights at night.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Well done and well told, Roger!

Ed
Posted By: rost495 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
anything much over 8 actually is considered a trophy. I"ve shot a couple give or take at 9. Saw one shot once a hair over 11, and thats flat long.

See your PM.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
nice....thank you for sharing your hunt....
Posted By: eyeball Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Great job Roger. Any big specks showing up under the lights? What bullet in the (as Jack O called it) beltless magnum.
only one over twenty, most just over keeper size. 130 core-lokt
Posted By: Mako25 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
south texas hunter, I know of no person alive who lives up to their billing more than you. That, is an amazing trip.

"Do they taste good?"

"Well, this 'n' will, he's already marinated".
going to keep it on ice for a few days then finish cutting it up.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Nice job, Roger. A most interesting hunt for sure. We also want to hear how it eats now. Thanks.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
OUTFREAKINGSTANDING BROTHER! WAY TO GO ROGER!
Posted By: milespatton Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Yes, way to go. miles
Leighton there was still a lot of ducks down there, plan on January. i saw a lot of deer tracks, there are a lot of islands on the east side of the cut to hunt as well that are easyer to get to. there have been some big bucks killed down there.
Posted By: ingwe Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Well done and well told, Roger!

Ed
+ 1 Mega-cool beans!! laugh
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Outstanding Roger! Very cool and way to make it happen.

If Choke Canyon ever fills up we'll have to give the ducks hell!
I'd like to get a canvas back one of these days.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Helluva job stx, and many, many thanks for sharin'.

That is as tough an environment for a firearm as there is. Amazing; long action, blued-heavyweight, non-premium bullet, budget scope, and run-of-the-mill chambering - takes a legitimate trophy.

In my mind, it's not the rifle, or the scope, or the headstamp, or the bullet - it's the hunter. In this case, a stx -- south texas, for those who don't know -- hunter.
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: nilgai - 03/27/13
Absolutely! Good opportunity there to get the king of ducks.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Jeff your handy work was all round there. i bet you've been within sight of where i shot this bull.

[Linked Image]
thanks.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Leighton there was still a lot of ducks down there, plan on January. i saw a lot of deer tracks, there are a lot of islands on the east side of the cut to hunt as well that are easyer to get to. there have been some big bucks killed down there.

When you get a date, I'll be jumping on a jet, brother. Bring that great luck with you in a couple months. wink smile

So cool, buddy. Wicked happy and proud for ya!
thanks' and i hope the luck holds while i'm there.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
nice.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: nilgai - 03/28/13

That was tremendously cool.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Neat hunt, congrats!

So is this where the 2014 24HCF hunt will be next year? That'd put a little sport into it!

Posted By: Mako25 Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
i bet you've been within sight of where i shot this bull.

Yes Sir, Penescal was that job. Supposedly another phase in planning. Don't hold me in too low a regard for what they do to the scenary - they aren't my idea. I just give 'em a place to stand.
Posted By: eyeball Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Roger, which direction and how far were you from the IC entrance to 9 mile hole. Are those turbines the ones most north and by the IC and just south of Baffin Bay. I have a friend who has a fishing house and camp just east of the northern most turbines and a few cuts up the IC from 9 mile hole.
the cabin is 8 miles in the cut,we were across from nine mile hole.we were a mile and a half south of that channel, the island i hunted is west of the entrance.
Posted By: Scotty Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Congratulations on the nice nilgai. You did a great job narrating the hunt.
Posted By: GRF Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Great story and pictures thank you for sharing
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Waidmannsheil Roger! Well done!!
Posted By: eh76 Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Well done Roger...well done.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
yeppers.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
I appreciate the purity of that hunt. Waders for hunting...who knew? Uh Roger, that's who.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: nilgai - 03/28/13

That is totally badass! I thought you might jinx yourself by telling us about it ahead of time but noooo...

You're the Shrapnel of Texas!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
terrific story! Congrats! smile
one other pic i wanted to post.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hugh Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Man that's just great .thanks
Posted By: calikooknic Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
NICE! Glad to see you got some good taco fixins there.
Posted By: LBP Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Cool hunt, congratulations.
Posted By: mudhen Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
carl told me horns over 6 1/2 inches are considered a trophy, this one had 9 inch horns.
Yep. that's a nice one,
Roger. Good work!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Originally Posted by 007FJ
I appreciate the purity of that hunt. Waders for hunting...who knew? Uh Roger, that's who.

I taught the man everything he knows about waders! lol

grin whistle wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Wonderful job.

Old Saw: "plan your work and work your plan".

Seems that's a good idea for hunting, too.

Thanks for the story and pics too. Hope the fish were tasty too.

Geno
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
.i got set up and watched him wade across when he was about 75-80 yrds slightly quartering away, he stop and looked my way so i let him have it on the point of the shoulder.

My gosh what a great story.

Anyhow Rog, here's my latest acquisition, .54 caliber. Its good for 75-80 yards easy. You're welcome to borrow it any time.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

mike that gun would of done the job at the distance i shot this bull at.

I'll admit one thing, I'm pretty dang sore this morning.LOL a couple of hunts like that will get you in shape. sure as hell beats sitting in a blind all day though.
Posted By: poboy Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Way to go Roger!! A trophy for the .270 Hall 'O Fame.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Great story, great pictures and I am proud as heck for you Roger. I am past the point where I could physically ever do something like that but I am sure happy there are those that can and do like you.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Way to go Roger! A well told story of a great hunt and a heck of a trophy.
Congrats!

Mark
Posted By: EddyBo Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
WTG STX great hunt and story, congrats
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Awesome story and a great hunt.
Posted By: temmi Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Wow

Great hunt

Congeats

Snake
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Good job, Roger! I'm jealous! Let us know how the steaks eat...
Posted By: GeoW Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Yep Roger, nice job! Now, I'm going to surf over to a educational site and learn to say what it is that you have kilt..

laugh
Posted By: GeoW Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Hmmmm, Boselaphus tragocamelus... just as I thought..
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: nilgai - 03/28/13
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
.i got set up and watched him wade across when he was about 75-80 yrds slightly quartering away, he stop and looked my way so i let him have it on the point of the shoulder.

My gosh what a great story.

Anyhow Rog, here's my latest acquisition, .54 caliber. Its good for 75-80 yards easy. You're welcome to borrow it any time.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

Wait a minute, I see a nipple smirk
that ain't no flinter grin
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/29/13
going to have to give away some of this meat, don't have enough freezer room.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: nilgai - 03/29/13
Throw everything else out!!!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
Wow, there's a problem I haven't had. If you can't give enough away, and have the time to stop by that meat processor place we used for the pigs, I'll send you a check to have 20-30 lbs. of sausage made, plus shipping of course. Just trying to help out!

wink smile
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
When I was passing through Raymondville there was a pick-up with three gutted nilgai in the back in the drive through at Wendy's in a long line. Problem was it was 101* and those boys seemed to be in no hurry to get to the cooler. Think I'll pass on those three.
Posted By: mudhen Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
There's a Wendy's in Raymondville??? The world is gone to hell!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
Yeah, it's close to the Whattaburger but on the other side of the highway from Mickey D's.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Wow, there's a problem I haven't had. If you can't give enough away, and have the time to stop by that meat processor place we used for the pigs, I'll send you a check to have 20-30 lbs. of sausage made, plus shipping of course. Just trying to help out!

wink smile
this can be arranged
Posted By: Mac84 Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
Congrats Roger. Looks like a helluva of a good time.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: nilgai - 03/30/13
thanks, going to throw some nilgai steaks on the pit tomorrow.
Posted By: waterbug Re: nilgai - 03/31/13
Congratulations! Your account of the hunt was good reading and the pictures added to it. I have never eaten nilgai but have always been told it was excellent table fare.
© 24hourcampfire