Home
Kind of looking at trucks......anyone have one with this engine? Turbos reliable. Makes me worry.......gas injected at high psi as well. What do you folks think about this oncept. Thanks in advance....goodshot
My Dad and pard have one. Both love em. Great power and good gas mileage.
I've had one for a little over a year. No issues yet.
I like mine, and after 10,000 miles, would buy the same.

It's not gonna save the world, as far as gas mileage goes but what Supercrew, 4X4, 6 1/2 foot box truck would. Right now I average just over 19 mpg (has been as high as 22.1 on an all highway trip) not towing anything, and a little over 17, when dragging the boat behind, and has a hell of a lot of power (365hp) for doing that.

[Linked Image]
Thats pretty impressive considering my midsize crew cab tacoma gets the same mileage.
I've got 40,000mi on mine. Had a few things updated but it never left me sitting. On gas it's no better than the rest once you take the [bleep] tires off and put some real LTs on. I get 15-16 in town and 17 @75mph. It does seem to be coming up a bit lately but it absolutely hates to buck wind kills the mileage. But the power is fun. Fords SYNC is a turd compared to Dodges Uconnect but oh well.
I've heard some "not so complimentary things" about them in fleet use, turbos going out, transmission troubles, etc. One of the posters on another website went down a laundry list of bad things happening to the fleet he runs.

That said, he's driving one, his personal truck, and hasn't had any issues, so maybe the troops are dogging them pretty hard, since they don't pay the maintenance fees.
I think it is interesting for sure, but turbos require really great engineering, and I'm not convinced that you can get that much out of one for the long haul. I might be off base here, but the high psi injection scares me, plus rapping turbos out o get your power all the time seems like you better over engineer the hell out of the turbos themselves. I commend the effort and hope they have it working well. I drove one and it sure was a nice smooth engine and nice riding truck. Lots of torque and power.
A friend of mine has one (less than a year)and loves it, gets a lot better gas mileage than his old F-250!
i have 3 buds who own them. all three say they like the truck. one had some form of minor trans issue which was immediately fixed. they seem to be ok based upon what i have been told.
The technology has worked pretty well for diesel engines with decent reliability. I don't see why this should be any different.
A. I don't buy ANYTHING with the words "eco" or "hybrid"
B. I don't buy ANYTHING that spins @> 17,000 RPMs
C. Everyone I know that has one LOVES THEM!

smile
I wouldn't worry too much about turbos, they've been around a long time. Think of all the WWII aircraft that used turbos. I may be in the market for one at some point. Would prefer something a bit smaller, but nobody is building a smaller truck with modern high MPG engine and tranny combos. Ford did a torture test on the F150 Ecoboost a couple of years ago that was pretty interesting.

http://www.ford.com/new/f-150-torture-test/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...ecoboost-v-6-looks-like/comments/page/2/
Yeah in airplanes and our jet engines run around the same RPM but they are full of titanium and moly steel with a lot higher standards and tolerances than in mass produced cars. I've seen quite a few of them blow..I like my engines like I like tatas, the bigger-the-better smile
I just took a 3 hour highway trip with the cruise set at 55 and averaged 21.4 mpg.

Mine is a 13 Screw 4x4 with 3:55's

Love the truck/motor combo,
Originally Posted by Powerguy
I just took a 3 hour highway trip with the cruise set at 55 and averaged 21.4 mpg.

My 2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L, 4x4, 4.30 rear will get 21-22 at 55 mph. It's the starting and stopping that kills my mileage.
Can you get an eco-boost in a raptor? I eat feckin Toy-oh dahs.

BWAHAHAHA
BMD is in the process of buying one right now. Here's his discussion on another site about it.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4304101/1
Originally Posted by Stetson
Can you get an eco-boost in a raptor? I eat feckin Toy-oh dahs.

BWAHAHAHA

I've had a few F-150's try and things did not work out like they thought they would.
I've read that Dodge is coming out with a diesel for their half-tons later this year. Anyone heard any more about this???

Dodge half-ton diesel

I have an Ecoboost and love it. No problems at all. The truck has been flawless and is a very good ride. You can get 21-22 on the hwy at 60mph, but at 75 you are around 17-18.
Originally Posted by goodshot
I think it is interesting for sure, but turbos require really great engineering, and I'm not convinced that you can get that much out of one for the long haul. I might be off base here, but the high psi injection scares me, plus rapping turbos out o get your power all the time seems like you better over engineer the hell out of the turbos themselves. I commend the effort and hope they have it working well. I drove one and it sure was a nice smooth engine and nice riding truck. Lots of torque and power.

That Ford Duratech or whatever it's called has 2000 psi fuel injection and about 15 PSI induction boost. My Ford powerstroke diesel, stock, has 22,000 psi fuel injection and 25 PSI boost. I only have about 220K on mine but they routinely go 400-500K without turbo replacement or fuel injection failure (injectors themselves wear out but they pumps are fine0

I wouldn't worry too much about that turbo. About half the car and truck models out there have turbo options these days. That Ford turbo has water cooled bearing so you don't have to worry about dumbazzes who know nothing about them coking up the bearing with burned oil.

I am going to buy one this summer for my wife.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

My 2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L, 4x4, 4.30 rear will get 21-22 at 55 mph. It's the starting and stopping that kills my mileage.

I ended up going thru 4 small towns w/stop go lights on the way, now i'm wondering what it would have done mileage wise without the start/stops on the trip. grin
I consistently get 22-23 MPG with my 2008 duramax long bed crew cab IF I drive the speed limit on express ways.
My '06 duramax does not have the same over drive Allison and gets slightly less MPG.

Cisco
Originally Posted by goodshot

I bought a 2011 new. I went with the 5.0l V-8 on the salesman's suggestion. He said he concept was new and the mileage wasn't as good as advertised for a normal driver that doesn't feather the pedal. I drove both, and while the Eco was impressive, it wasn't impressive enough to me to pay extra for it, and be test media for a new motor. 17.4 mpg average for highway/town mix. 360 HP is no slouch either. I got 14.3 pulling my 619 Ranger boat (#5000) all loaded with gas and gear.

Great truck. I'd pass on the Eco but that's just me.
I dont own one, but from what I've read the trucks get terrible mileage when using the low octane gas.

Why spend the extra money for something you probably wont use.

My .02
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have an Ecoboost and love it. No problems at all. The truck has been flawless and is a very good ride. You can get 21-22 on the hwy at 60mph, but at 75 you are around 17-18.

That about the same my wife's Dodge 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi gets.
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
I dont own one, but from what I've read the trucks get terrible mileage when using the low octane gas.

My .02

I've had my 2012 ecoboost 4x4 about 2 months now. crew cab, short bed. I have tried it with 87 and 93 octane, no difference on mileage that I can discern. driving around town like i want to, it returns about 15.5 mpg. driving around town like a timid hippie, i can reliably get 16.5. highway driving at 60-65 will return about 20 mpg. interstate at 75 will return 17-18. This is with aftermarket pirelli A/T's.

Can't comment on longevity since mine only has 21,000 miles. you WILL get better mileage than the V8, but it might only be 2-3 mpg better. Ford has really tuned the transmission on these to get as high as possible in the gears as quickly as possible, unless you goose it. so ... drive it slow like a stoned hippie, it returns good mileage. roll coal, and your mileage goes to schit in a big hurry.

but dang it is fun to stomp the pedal on these. they will GO if you want them to. and if you've got the windows down, you can hear the faint whoosh of those turbos spooling up.

One other thing, mine is a Lariat, and this is a VERY comfortable truck.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

My .02

I've had my 2012 ecoboost 4x4 about 2 months now. crew cab, short bed. I have tried it with 87 and 93 octane, no difference on mileage that I can discern. driving around town like i want to, it returns about 15.5 mpg. driving around town like a timid hippie, i can reliably get 16.5. highway driving at 60-65 will return about 20 mpg. interstate at 75 will return 17-18. This is with aftermarket pirelli A/T's.

Can't comment on longevity since mine only has 21,000 miles. you WILL get better mileage than the V8, but it might only be 2-3 mpg better. Ford has really tuned the transmission on these to get as high as possible in the gears as quickly as possible, unless you goose it. so ... drive it slow like a stoned hippie, it returns good mileage. roll coal, and your mileage goes to schit in a big hurry.

but dang it is fun to stomp the pedal on these. they will GO if you want them to. and if you've got the windows down, you can hear the faint whoosh of those turbos spooling up.

Like I said, I have never owned a Eco-boost engine, but I thought the purpose of the engine was to be able to burn ultra-low octane fuels, thus save the environment. I'm talking about 82-85 octane fuels. The test results, I have read, from these fuels are terrible. Again, why spend the extra money if you arent going to use the product.
I have a 2011 one of the first ones on the lot I bought it march of 2011. My only gripe, mine came with a 26gal tank... Don't know what year they switched to 32gal tanks. I have 32,000 on mine I have been all the way up the dalton hwy (haul rd) twice caribou hunting... I guess you can say this truck been all over ak... If I remember right the 2011 were advertised at 390 hp and 425 ft lbs of torque.. Just last week went to soldotna avg 21.5 mpg... I don't know why anyone would buy the f150 with the 5.0 in it...

My '04 4x4 w. 5.4 and 3.73's gets about 14 or so at 75-80, and I've seen about 16-17 if I keep it under 70. I have Michelin LTX AT2's on it now, and they probably are 1 mpg or better than the BFG All-Terrains I had on it previously. So I think the Ecoboost similarly equipped would indeed do about 3-4 mpg better in similar driving.

But I ain't buying a truck for a while yet... smile
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I've read that Dodge is coming out with a diesel for their half-tons later this year. Anyone heard any more about this???

Dodge half-ton diesel

That looks to be a good one.

My .02

Like I said, I have never owned a Eco-boost engine, but I thought the purpose of the engine was to be able to burn ultra-low octane fuels, thus save the environment. I'm talking about 82-85 octane fuels. The test results, I have read, from these fuels are terrible. Again, why spend the extra money if you arent going to use the product.

I said this all wrong!!! I didnt mean low octane gasoline, I meant high ethanol. The test results with 15-20% ethanol, which I thought the Eco-boost engines were made for, are terrible. Low mileage and power.
15%-20% ethanol?? Where is that sold? 10% is bad enough! Ethanol is NOT good for mileage.
Will let you know I just bought one and added lift, wheels and tires will have a better idea soon. The one I am in now while they are completing mine is nice.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

That about the same my wife's Dodge 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi gets.

My wife's hemi 4x4 on the hwy won't touch 17 18 with a high wind behind her and going down hill and hers is a 2010
I said this all wrong!!! I didnt mean low octane gasoline, I meant high ethanol. The test results with 15-20% ethanol, which I thought the Eco-boost engines were made for, are terrible. Low mileage and power.

naw, I didn't have any illusion that the ecoboost would do anything other than return better gas mileage than the V8 using the same gas. it is marked on the filler cap not to use ethanol, it's not a "flex fuel" vehicle like the chevys advertise.

Which really makes no difference to me, I hate ethanol. so does my motorcycle, my weed eater, and my leaf blower.
Went by the Ford dealership today to get my oil changed. While I was waiting, I wandered through the lot to look at the new eco-boost pickups . . . $45K to $55K. The Shelby Cobra in the show room was $75K. What the heck! Who can afford these new cars?

naw, I didn't have any illusion that the ecoboost would do anything other than return better gas mileage than the V8 using the same gas. it is marked on the filler cap not to use ethanol, it's not a "flex fuel" vehicle like the chevys advertise.

Which really makes no difference to me, I hate ethanol. so does my motorcycle, my weed eater, and my leaf blower.

Guess I better fess-up to being old and dumb!!

I thought the flex-fuel and the Eco-boost were the same thing, just one was ford and the other chevy.

As the kids say these days, "My Bad"!
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I like my engines like I like tatas, the bigger-the-better smile

You said a mouthful. grin
Originally Posted by Beargrease

laugh laugh
You tell the wife you're now officially gay?
Dodge went to the shop this week for 14th time in 12 months time for it to go away! Transmission, washer fluid motor, and new computer module done with that pos!
Originally Posted by Beargrease

The old saying "There is no replacement for displacement" seems to fit in right here.
I wish they would do one with a diesel engine. I think the turbo is the wrong way to go for Ford, but I hope it works out well and becomes a good engine as they refine it.
Don't know anyone with one. Article in the local paper here last week about a couple of lawsuits about the engine not developing power in wet/humid conditions.

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received 95 reports alleging incidents of reduced engine power during hard accelerations in model year (MY) 2011 through 2013 Ford F150 trucks equipped with 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engines. Ford has issued three technical service bulletins related to intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions in some MY 2011 and 2012 F150 vehicles equipped with 3.5L GTDI engines.... Approximately one-third of the reports received by ODI indicate that the incidents occurred while driving in humid or rainy conditions. Many complaints allege safety concerns associated with overtaking vehicles. No related crashes have been reported to ODI to date. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to gather information to assess whether the subject vehicles contain a safety related defect.

The Ford forums have anecdotal stories of low boost, seal failures and oil leaks on the ecoboost. Hard to say what the numbers are. Some claim the 2011 is more prone to fail, but who knows if this is correct.

A co-worker had the turbo grenade in his powerstroke diesel. The root cause appears to be frozen/stuck vanes. $7k later and he's back on the road. I don't know how common this is on the Ford diesels.
I've had two diesels, got 600K out of the first turbo on one and now 218K on the turbo on my current truck. I don't hear of many going out on the diesels. You are supposed to cool them off before shutdown though. There are some kits out there that will continue to idle until cool enough to shutdown but that does no good when it's in your garage!
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I wish they would do one with a diesel engine. I think the turbo is the wrong way to go for Ford, but I hope it works out well and becomes a good engine as they refine it.

If they do, it will have a turbo in it as well, just like all the 3/4's. there are billions of miles on trucks with turbos in them.
Hope to pick mine up Monday
Hope you enjoy it, and I hope you aren't one of those anecdotal examples of a bad one. I looked at them in 2011 and almost bought one, but I just didn't want a "new" engine.
I have a 2012 with 13000 miles on it and love it, I get around 17 it the country roads on a trip I have got 22.5 . I have had no problems at all.
Originally Posted by grapeape
I have a 2012 with 13000 miles on it and love it, I get around 17 it the country roads on a trip I have got 22.5 . I have had no problems at all.

That's what I like to hear.
Originally Posted by BMD

Keep us posted on how you like it and any problems you have.

Originally Posted by BMD

Keep us posted on how you like it and any problems you have.

Will do my first gas truck since 1997.
Just ran 680 miles today with 5 in the cab, cruise at 72 mph avg 19.3 mpg.
Just ran 680 miles today with 5 in the cab, cruise at 72 mph avg 19.3 mpg.

That's awesome cant wait to pick mine up
Well????
I drive a 350 4-wheel drive crew cab turbo diesel with a manual 6 tranny and average 21-23 mpg. It would take a significant increase in efficiency to get me to step down to a F150.

I may have to abandon Ford anyway when it's replacement time, as I hear they have done away with manual transmissions.
2011 F150 4wd 3.73's 5.0 21-22 at 50-55, 20 at 65, 18 at 75. 9.20's in the 1/8 mile as well... Make mine v8.
I am firmly in the camp that there is no replacement for displacement, at least in a pickup truck. I drive a 2011 403hp 6.2L GMC, 6-speed, 3.73 gears, MAX towing package. And I love it. I get about 16 mpg running 75-80 mph. It runs about 0.7 mpg less than a 5.3L I used to have, driving the same way. I have no clue what it would get at 55 or 65, I don't drive that slow, unless I'm stuck in traffic. There is only one thing that will pry this vehicle away from me, and that is when the new direct injection 6.2L engines come out some time during the new model year, with a substantial increase in horsepower. Even then, I plan on keeping my current pickup as an "old" pickup. Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well????

[Linked Image] they will have it finished up for delivery tomorrow the wrong lug nuts came on with the wheels or at least that is their story. So guess I gotta wait another day.
I gave the Chevy a look but;

Less torque
Less bed size
Less crew cab back room size
Less MPG
Less fuel tank capacity

Other than that, they seem like an ok truck.
I gave the Chevy a look but;

Less torque
Less bed size
Less crew cab back room size
Less MPG
Less fuel tank capacity

Other than that, they seem like an ok truck.

Chevy or GMC never an option smile
Mid country trip, drove from northern Wisconsin to Gulf Shores ,Alabama.

2013 crew cab
3:55
Eco
6.5 box
5 people in cab with box filled w/luggage

Cruise set at 72mph and I averaged the following:

Length of Illinois 19.3 ( I swear we drove every inch of that damn state top to bottom)

Ky-northern Alabama hill country 18.3

Mid-bottom of Alabama 19.3 average and there are a lot of stop/go lights the last 60 miles to Gulf Shores

Can't go wrong with the Eco-boost or 5.0

The Eco-boost torque is incredible, it never shifted out of 6th gear for any hill in the 1,250 mile trip with the cruise set at 72.

Did the same trip 2 years ago with same payload in 06 suburban and it had to downshift on a lot of the hills. (5.3 liter)

Good luck with your new ride BMD, we looked at the FX4 but wanted the bench seat to seat 6 so slummed it and went Lariat..... grin

Originally Posted by 1minute

I may have to abandon Ford anyway when it's replacement time, as I hear they have done away with manual transmissions.

So has everyone else I believe.
Originally Posted by mudstud
Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin

Owning a GM product should be enough to scare you. Who needs to be scared by Eco-boost's when they're drving around in a chevy.
I had a Ford ONCE! Never again!
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by mudstud
Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin

Owning a GM product should be enough to scare you. Who needs to be scared by Eco-boost's when they're drving around in a chevy.

Lol
P-guy; My ears perked up a bit when you said it didn't shift out of 6th gear like the other rig. My '11 Tundra shifts out of 6th easily...even when empty. I notice that because I used to drive diesels and their low end torque is to be envied.

By the way; congratulations on winning LINEMAN OF THE MONTH again, there in Wisconsin. I did that here a few times, but only on a local level.
Here is a chart showing various torque/rpm numbers, I can see why the tundra shifts easily out of 6th.

High HP/TQ numbers don't impress me at 3,000+ rpm's , all they are good for is sales.

Give me some torque at 70mph@1850 rpm's now were talking.

Scroll down

http://www.f150forum.com/f82/towing-ecoboost-4x4-crew-cab-211553/index3/
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We will see how it does.
Fords are demon trucks, worst pieces of crap ever foisted on the American public. Last one I owned had more recalls than the French Army. Thing finally died on the freeway when it burst into flame. Same with the fleet of Ford crap the county occasionally bought. Dodge Rams always putted around, we tried to kill them, but they just wouldn't die. Chevy's ran reliably, Jeep Cherokees too, really reliable and great off road. The Fords were weird. Had one F-550 with the diesel in a garbage packer, damn thing would die when turning the steering wheel left. Whole dash would would quit, engine would die, wouldn't restart for awhile. Not good when turning across lanes of traffic. Turned out to be a short in the steering column. Nah, Fords are disasters.

Ecoboost=recall: http://blogs.automotive.com/recall-...ng-power-during-acceleration-139609.html

Junk, junk, junk. Ford always overreaches when designing engines, last engine they made that was sort of reliable was the flathead, or the 292 cid V-8, that thing could literately be kept running with baling wire and vice grips. I remember the Power Jokes, especially the 6.0. Some snapped crankshafts, but most just didn't work due to foaming oil failing to activate the injectors. They had more problems than a Hollywood actress with a 5th of Jack and a few snorts of blow. A little V6 that tries to act like a big engine, gonna break, sorry.

Now my 4x4 Sierra 2500 HD with the DuramMax diesel and Alison transmission, a crew cab no less, weighing in at 6,700 pounds without me aboard, will do 17-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. It all depends on winter or summer fuel, terrain, going uphill or down, wind, and how much ammo I'm carrying. It has 364 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque at 1,800 rpm in stock guise, and does not slow down on hills. Even the Ram with a Cummins is a better truck than anything Ford makes. Hell, a DR power wheelbarrow with a Briggs and Stratton rope start one-lunger is better. F-150, we all know what the 'F' stands for, the 150 is how many times you'll have it done to you, unless you pick up a 250 or 350, then Kattie bar the door.

The older Ford cars and wagons I owned, and they number five, plus a Mercury, were absolutely the best. They could run with more parts missing than a retired NFL linebacker, simply the best cars made. laugh
Dura max is a piece of [bleep]! I have had one. What a joke. Dodge I just dumped spent 14 trips in shop in 14 months. What a joke! So WJ you keep bragging on those other pOS none are perfect I assure I have owned them all and had good and bad with dodge an ford and every gm product I have ever owned was a POS!
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Fords are demon trucks, worst pieces of crap ever foisted on the American public. Last one I owned had more recalls than the French Army. Thing finally died on the freeway when it burst into flame. Same with the fleet of Ford crap the county occasionally bought. Dodge Rams always putted around, we tried to kill them, but they just wouldn't die. Chevy's ran reliably, Jeep Cherokees too, really reliable and great off road. The Fords were weird. Had one F-550 with the diesel in a garbage packer, damn thing would die when turning the steering wheel left. Whole dash would would quit, engine would die, wouldn't restart for awhile. Not good when turning across lanes of traffic. Turned out to be a short in the steering column. Nah, Fords are disasters.

Ecoboost=recall: http://blogs.automotive.com/recall-...ng-power-during-acceleration-139609.html

Junk, junk, junk. Ford always overreaches when designing engines, last engine they made that was sort of reliable was the flathead, or the 292 cid V-8, that thing could literately be kept running with baling wire and vice grips. I remember the Power Jokes, especially the 6.0. Some snapped crankshafts, but most just didn't work due to foaming oil failing to activate the injectors. They had more problems than a Hollywood actress with a 5th of Jack and a few snorts of blow. A little V6 that tries to act like a big engine, gonna break, sorry.

Now my 4x4 Sierra 2500 HD with the DuramMax diesel and Alison transmission, a crew cab no less, weighing in at 6,700 pounds without me aboard, will do 17-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. It all depends on winter or summer fuel, terrain, going uphill or down, wind, and how much ammo I'm carrying. It has 364 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque at 1,800 rpm in stock guise, and does not slow down on hills. Even the Ram with a Cummins is a better truck than anything Ford makes. Hell, a DR power wheelbarrow with a Briggs and Stratton rope start one-lunger is better. F-150, we all know what the 'F' stands for, the 150 is how many times you'll have it done to you, unless you pick up a 250 or 350, then Kattie bar the door.

The older Ford cars and wagons I owned, and they number five, plus a Mercury, were absolutely the best. They could run with more parts missing than a retired NFL linebacker, simply the best cars made. laugh

[Linked Image]
WranglerJohn,

Great detective work , as you uncovered Fords TSB about the CAC having issues. These problems were happening on 2011-2012 Eco's. Ford has since redesigned the CAC to eliminate this issue.

I apologize if this is old information to you as you seem very versed in the Eco's. You do know what the CAC does ( without google) don't you?

Scott, that is one sharp truck Sir.
Fords are demon trucks,..

I disagree with everything you said but I love the way you said it. Most entertaining. If you ever give up your day job, take up writing blog or something.
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
Thats pretty impressive considering my midsize crew cab tacoma gets the same mileage.

It's going to last a whole lot longer then a ticking time bomb . How much to replace turbos when they go even though they are water cooled?
WranglerJohn,

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I have owned three Ford trucks and all have been flawless. I keep buying them because they don't break. Had to Chevies, both in the shop over and over. Had a Jeep Cherokee and that was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I can't believe folks even buy those things....look at the resale, that will tell you what they are really worth.
Scott, that is one sharp truck Sir.

Thank you sir, sure drives nice.
Yes they do. I test drove one a couple years ago and they are nice. I loved the low end torque of the engine, but I just couldn't buy another new Ford engine. Oh well, I do love my Tundra.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Yes they do. I test drove one a couple years ago and they are nice. I loved the low end torque of the engine, but I just couldn't buy another new Ford engine. Oh well, I do love my Tundra.

When I was test driving trucks last year it came down to the Tundra and F150. I liked the interior in the F150 a little better but liked the Tundra's powertrain a little better. In the end, Toyota made a better deal and I went with the Tundra. I probably would have been just as happy with the Ford.
[Linked Image]

Just installed the billet over the big hole where the air intake is when they move the license plates to the side.
government motors? Keep on supporting the assh*le that bailed them out.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
government motors? Keep on supporting the assh*le that bailed them out.

[Linked Image]

Exactly!
Scott, not sure how much air is blocked in your inlet, but Ford recommends at least 95% airflow to the CAC.

Just a thought, once again sharp truck.
It is billet just thin bars shouldn't be an issue can't see it reducing air at all.
Scott, not sure how much air is blocked in your inlet, but Ford recommends at least 95% airflow to the CAC.

Just a thought, once again sharp truck.

Had to do something that big gap looked like crap, will read up on it. Thanks
Here is a chart showing various torque/rpm numbers, I can see why the tundra shifts easily out of 6th.

High HP/TQ numbers don't impress me at 3,000+ rpm's , all they are good for is sales.

Give me some torque at 70mph@1850 rpm's now were talking.

Scroll down

http://www.f150forum.com/f82/towing-ecoboost-4x4-crew-cab-211553/index3/

Interesting...
Never gave torque/ hp charts much thought until I started looking for a new truck.

My way of thinking is that hp/ torque is not very useable if one needs to go to 3500+ Rpm's to get it.

Just put 400 on the truck today at 75 mph with rolling hills ( Alabama coast- north Alabama) Rpm's ran at 1900 and the truck never shifted out of 6th.

To me that is useable torque.
[Linked Image]

These had to come off.

I had just the opposite experience. I bought and Chebby and it lived at the dealership. I think I took it in for warranty work over 30 times, fan clutches, AC, seats, timing, tranny, cooling, cruise, brakes, paint...

I bought a new superduty and it NEVER has been to the dealership for warranty work. There was a recall on the wiper motor that I let them change as well as the cam position sensor recall. I have replaced the water pump and front wheel bearings. Everything else I have done to it is maintenance such as brakes and batteries.

I wouldn't give Govt motors one more of my dimes if they made the best 5 trucks on the market. I am due in a year or two for another and it will be a Ford or a Toyota. I think I am done with diesel.
I drove Ford trucks exclusively from 1974 until 2003, six of them. V8s, straight 6s, diesels, you name it. Never took one in for a recall and the only non-maintenance repair was a broken axle housing on an F-150 4x4 back in the days when I drove them really fast and hard in rough country.

In 2003, we bought a GMC diesel with the Allison transmission that got about 2/3 the mileage of the Ford diesel that we had traded in. After a couple of years, we traded it and got a GMC with the 6.0 liter gas engine that got even worse mileage. We now have a 2005 Tacoma with 225,000+ miles on the odometer and a 2012 Tundra that gets better mileage than either of the GMCs did. I am probably buying Toyotas from now on.
I would suggest you watch the Ford with the Eco-Boost and see how it does over the long haul. I bought a new Tundra two years ago (and I'm very happy with it)but could have easily bought an Eco-Boost if it hadn't been so new in the F-150.
I bought a 2011 Eco Boost crew cab this January. It was a low mileage trade in( only had 2500 miles on it) in 2 wd. I was looking for one with a 5.0 liter engine but found this on at a good deal for what was practically a brand new truck.

I was not sure about he turbos and read the same negative reports about them on the Internet. The same reports are repeated on every forum.

Want to start a fight........talk about Ford vs Chevy or bring up Leupold on the optics forum!!!!!

I spoke to some ford mechanics at the dealer and they said they haven't had any in the shop for turbo problems, and since it was a certified pre owned unit it came with a 100k mile power train warranty, so I figured I'd take a chance.

I live in Mobile AL. So not much for hills around here. My combined average gas mileage is 16.3 over 7500 miles. I am averaging 22-23 on the hwy but usually set the cruise on 70 when on the interstate. A headwind will keep you around 19 but a tailwind wind boost you up pretty good. On a 600 mile trip with mostly hwy miles but some in city stop and go for a day mixed in I averaged just over 19mpg.

It does not like to downshift as stated earlier. I sset the cruise on 50 to avoid a ticket on a local hwy and went over a bridge that was fairly steep. It never downshifted or acted like it was in a strain.

So far so good for my ecoboost, but I don't use my vehicles hard. Hoping it lasts at least 10 years before I have to worry about anything.

Bob.
I won't get into the argument as it is the same old Dodge, Chev, and Ford deal. My Duramax has 275,000 miles and the turbo has not taken a $hit. I have replaced the rear pads, alternator, and waterpump and the belt. I am speaking about my truck only. I have had some that were a POS and others that were OK. Last Ford that I had I put a 460 in. It was a good truck, but I didn't really like it. Last Dodge that I had and the only Dodge PU was a 64 model slant 6 with 3 speed, no PS, and no A/C. I sure didn't keep it long, but one of my employees said it is still going strong in Mexico.
I can't afford a new one every 2 years like in the old days, but based on my Duramax and what my shop sees on a daily basis, I guess I would buy another. I would consider an eccoboost.
© 24hourcampfire