Home
Posted By: TreeMutt Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
16 oz, mainly for fishing and hunting..more to keep liquids hot rather than cold....any suggestions appreciated
Thermos brand is hard to beat. The Ozark Trail bottles they sell at Wally's are reported to be very good. You can't turn around in most stores these days without bumping into stack of stainless steel coffee mugs. I have one that I can plug into my vehicle power outlet to provide heat. Endless hot coffee with that one.
Posted By: rong Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
I have a Stanley,but it was made in the USA,probably 30 yrs old.I f I make coffee in the am,it's usually warm till 2-3 pm.The ones that are out now are made in China.
I always look at yard sales ,Ebay etc... looking for another American made one.
Yeti bottle. laugh
Posted By: deflave Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
My two favorite have been Nissan and Stanley.
Thermos.

Go with the 24oz wide-mouth stainless “Food Jar”.....

https://www.thermos.com/food-storag...lated-stainless-steel-food-jar-24oz.html

They work as well as a regular Thermos but are a whole lot easier to drink from and especially to reach in and clean. All thermoses should have a cap that wide. I use mine everyday for hot tea but I could just as easy pack cold ice cream for lunch if I wanted.

We have Stanleys, hit, and miss on a good one.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
Stanley have been hit or miss for us too. I have a couple that I should probably route back for rebuild, as they've never been up to snuff.

As for an insulated cups - I ran over my last one and Cookie bought me an all metal cup with plastic lid with "Bubba" stamped on the side. An iced drink assembled at 8AM in the morning will still be holding about 1/3rd of the ice 24 hrs later.

Back on thermos - the old glass core units were the absolute best, but they did not handle impact very well.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
My best is an Aladdin Industries, made in USA, second best is an Thermos brand and third is a small camo one that I bought at Cabelas. 3 different sizes for different occasions. It doesn't have a name on it....I bought it because it was small enough to fit in my duck hunting bag. I used it on a sea duck hunt in Massachusetts in January. Coldest hunt I was ever on but it kept my coffee hot. The trick is to pre heat the thermos, whatever brand you buy. It will do way better if you fill it with hot water to preheat it right before you fill it. The preheat takes the initial cold out of the thermos so the hot beverage doesn't have to.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
Some help for you in this grave endeavor...
Posted By: Owl Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
The older Stanly thermos is MUCH better than the made in China. I'be been using them for 33 years.

You can find them at garage sales, craigslist etc. If they have a damaged lid/top, you an order a replacement online.
Yeti of course. grin

I hauled a Stanley with me for about 40 years.....never saw any reason to look any further.
Pick up an old Stanley, Garage sales, Craigslist or Ebay.

You want the older "Made In USA" models, like this.

Stanley Thermos.
Posted By: 6.5-06 Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
The Thermos Stainless king line is great at keeping things hot for a long time

https://www.thermos.com/genuine-the...stainless-steel-travel-tumbler-16oz.html
Posted By: skeen Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/24/18
Well, in light of recent developments, I damn sure ain't going to mention how much I like my Yeti Rambler. eek
Hydroflask, company is out of Bend OR. I believe they are made in china as well. Its good stuff. I have a few of their containers and they all work well for me.
Originally Posted by Owl
The older Stanly thermos is MUCH better than the made in China. I'be been using them for 33 years.

You can find them at garage sales, craigslist etc. If they have a damaged lid/top, you an order a replacement online.

^^^This^^^

I’ve got GrandDad’s old Stanley Thermos that he always carried in the tractor in the winter time. It’s at least 50 years old. It will keep coffee or hot cocoa scalding hot all day long. It’s my favorite by far.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
Never had any luck with Stanley, probably China models from the sound of it. I have a Nissan that has been the best I have used.
My folks gave me a Stanley for graduation in 1987.
Tractors, log forwarders, truck floors and just "normal use, it looks like hell.

I love it, and am proud of the fact the handle is still factory. It has been used, a lot and hard. Not abused.

The new stainless bottles are better.
But, they are trendy metro sexual hip.

Stanley, thats true American, By-God, blue collar gold.
Posted By: midtenn Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
Made in USA Stanley, if you find one. Parts are available as said. The inside may be coffee stained. You can fill it with hot water then drop a couple of denture cleaning tablets in. Let it sit overnight. This will clean the inside but wash it out good afterwards to get the brown flakes out.
Posted By: EdM Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
I have one of these and am pleased. I have a fair bit of their stuff and am pleased with all of it.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkware/bottles/RTIC-18oz-Bottle
Posted By: add Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
16 oz, mainly for fishing and hunting..more to keep liquids hot rather than cold....any suggestions appreciated

Seriously, 16 ounces?

Plan on spilling at least 4oz of those (if you are active), before it reaches the lips.
The most important thing for me is "Made in the U.S.A" No chi-com junk.
You can probably get a good deal on a yeti right now....shot once with a 26 nosler or some other exotic cartridge to use as a straw hole wink
Originally Posted by jdunham
Never had any luck with Stanley, probably China models from the sound of it. I have a Nissan that has been the best I have used.

One thing we did with our Stanleys was to preheat em with some hot water before filling during the winter months.

Stanley and Coleman with the glass liners were our only choices back then.

Sheesh.....just saying that makes me feel old. frown
My old GOTT thermos works pretty well for me.
I have a Nissan and an old Stanley. The Nissan has always been better.
I have two stanleys. Both at least 20 yrs old. last forever. a used us made one is better than anybodys commie crap
Originally Posted by rong
I have a Stanley,but it was made in the USA,probably 30 yrs old.I f I make coffee in the am,it's usually warm till 2-3 pm.The ones that are out now are made in China.

Ditto on the yard sales. Just make sure they don't smell musty from someone forgetting to empty them until it's too late. I still use some of the old glass lined Thermos bottles. They really keep stuff hot, but the down side is if you drop them, they're toast. I find them at the garage sales for .50 to a dollar. I have two older Stanleys that are my most used ones. They're all beat up from rolling around in the truck, boat, or blind but keep stuff hot or cold for a long time.
Originally Posted by rong

Ditto on the yard sales. Just make sure they don't smell musty from someone forgetting to empty them until it's too late. I still use some of the old glass lined Thermos bottles. They really keep stuff hot, but the down side is if you drop them, they're toast. I find them at the garage sales for .50 to a dollar. I have two older Stanleys that are my most used ones. They're all beat up from rolling around in the truck, boat, or blind but keep stuff hot or cold for a long time.
Posted By: shaman Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
I bought a 16 OZ Stanley in the 2016, and it's been through two turkey seasons and two deer seasons. No problems so far.
I've not found better than the old stainless steel UNO-VAC's.......not made anymore, but still available.
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Yeti bottle. laugh

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Yeti of course. grin

I hauled a Stanley with me for about 40 years.....never saw any reason to look any further.

F-ck Yeti..........https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation

Wife received a Yeti cup for her birthday glad there was a receipt it was returned the next day.....
Originally Posted by GrandView
I've not found better than the old stainless steel UNO-VAC's.......not made anymore, but still available.

Same here.
Mine still works great. Except for about 4 labrador retreivers back, one chewed the damn stopper. Teeth marks all pressed into it. Something to remember the ole boy I guess. crazy
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Yeti bottle. laugh

Yeti of course. grin

F-ck Yeti..........https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation

Wife received a Yeti cup for her birthday glad there was a receipt it was returned the next day.....

Sarcasm.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by GrandView

Same here.
Mine still works great. Except for about 4 labrador retreivers back, one chewed the damn stopper. Teeth marks all pressed into it. Something to remember the ole boy I guess. crazy

gotta love them knuckleheads
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Yeti bottle. laugh

Yeti of course. grin

Me thinks coyotewacker's a little slow on the uptake.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Recommend the best Thermos - 04/25/18
They should sell the Stanley with the big dent already in it!
How does a thermos know if it should keep stuff hot or cold ?
For me it's a toss-up between Stanley and Nissan. I used to have a really nice 1.5qt old school Thermos with glass liner and metal shell with a red plaid finish I got from a gf for Xmas many years ago. I think she Indian-gave it to me because I haven't seen it for years and I'm pretty sure the last time I saw it was at her house.
I got an older Nissan that came in camo from Cabelas a number of years ago. That thing has never let me down. HOT coffee all day, often times the next morning too when it's been sitting in a freezing cold truck all night. Guys at deer camp are jealous. You should watch 5 guys pre-treating their Stanleys with hot water at 4:30am and then waiting for the damn coffee maker, whilst I pour whatever hot coffee out from the day before and simply reload. Good times.
I live in Texas where the summers run February to November. My Ozark Trails 40 oz from Wal Mart is so good, there is no reason for me to look elsewhere.
I will keep my Yetis...and likely buy more. I do have a Nissan, a Stanley, and a couple of the Ozarks...and none of them are as good. My Yeti 20oz cup will keep coffee hot for as long as the 32oz Ozark will.
These threads crack me up.

There's what 3 or 4 different manufact of common thermos bottles? Is there a mile difference between any of them? Probably not.

Just get something, even if it's a sh itburger brand, pre-charge it with hot water night before or even an hour before. Damn he ain't using it for space travel anyway.
© 24hourcampfire