Home
Posted By: PatB filling a gap in barrel channel - 02/22/22

I have a McMillin stock, the barrel channel is inletted for a larger barrel, than I now have.. Mainly the first 2-3''.

I plan to wrap the barrel with some tape to retain a free float so will just be closing the gap.

Any particular bedding material for this project? Also wonder about matching the color of the existing stock, any dyes for that purpose ?

Thanks ..
What about some acrglass gel? You can dye it and if you're careful about it maybe get a pretty good match.
Acraglass gel comes with brown and black dye. You can also use paint to feather it in and match the stock color.

A lot of folks like other bedding material like JB Weld or Marine tex

The acraglass may be the best bet for dying, I've not tried that..

Have used a lot of Marine Tex and Devcon, being dark I don't think they'd color.. Not a huge deal anyway..

Again, appreciate the comments.
What color is the stock?
Go red or something like that.
If you are the type that can stand it.
It's easier to get a nice contrast than a good match.
Originally Posted by PatB

I have a McMillin stock, the barrel channel is inletted for a larger barrel, than I now have.. Mainly the first 2-3''.

I plan to wrap the barrel with some tape to retain a free float so will just be closing the gap.

Any particular bedding material for this project? Also wonder about matching the color of the existing stock, any dyes for that purpose ?

Thanks ..

What color is your stock? I just use JB quick in the barrel channel, because its fast and easy.

The stock is 60% olive green 40% black... Swirl. I've never tried to mix a paint or dye with epoxy for color.. My bedding jobs are all 100% free float back to the recoil lug so the bedding material is almost invisible.
At most a very thin line along the top on either side of the front of the receiver ..

So with this little project in front of me the larger inlet needs filling - just for better eye appeal. initially the channel was inletted for a barrel with 1 1/2'' of cylinder before going into the taper.. New barrel has only .75'' of cylinder.
The color of the epoxy doesn’t make any difference, the stock is painted over bland epoxy. Get an assortment of Testors paints at the craft store and mix a matching paint. Experiment with swirling the black into the green on scraps.
If weight is a concern I use microbaloons in west epoxy. You can dye it to match...ish.

If weight is not a concern, any bedding material
Devcon, marinetex.....even JB will work.

Carry the fill beyond where you want it to stop and you can feather your way backwards to blend it.
Here's one that I did pretty much what you're looking to do.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by high_country_

Hey highcountry what are you going to use to fill the pores in the stock? Nice work so far.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Hey highcountry what are you going to use to fill the pores in the stock? Nice work so far.

Skim with body putty and sand to finish.

Turned out really nice when I was done.
Where did you buy the microballons?

Your project is looking good!
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Skim with body putty and sand to finish.

Turned out really nice when I was done.

Thanks. Good plan to follow!
Where did you buy the microballons?

Your project is looking good!

West systems sells them. Microballons are pretty common. They are available at Amazon if everyone else fails.
Graphite powder is a good dye for use in epoxies. A little will go a long ways, giving you a light gray to dark black depending on quantity of graphite powder used. Also acts as a filler and can be used with many other filler compounds depending on use. Check out West System epoxies, dyes and fillers - they are a quality, go-to brand used in the marine trade.
Graphite powder is a good dye for use in epoxies. A little will go a long ways, giving you a light gray to dark black depending on quantity of graphite powder used. Also acts as a filler and can be used with many other filler compounds depending on use. Check out West System epoxies, dyes and fillers - they are a quality, go-to brand used in the marine trade.
You can buy gel coat pigment from McMillan in the exact colors that your stock was made with. Mix with clear epoxy and "paint" the exposed filler that you use on the channel.
I've been using a JB Weld product called 'Plastic Bond' ....works really well. It's very thin, which is a plus for doing barrel channels and it sets up quickly. It can be thickened if you like by adding fumed silica. It's available in black or tan and can be sanded, painted, etc.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plastic-bonder-syringe

https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe

Note that JB Weld also makes a product called 'Plastic Weld' which is not the same thing.

3M's 'Panel Bond' does a nice job in barrel channels, too. A bit pricey for the single job but if you're doing a few, it may be worth it.

Good shootin' -Al

Thanks ..

have used to epoxy to achieve this, with the different colors, matching is fairly easy,
© 24hourcampfire