Home
Posted By: MAC Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I am seriously thinking about getting a new 308 Win and am leaning (based solely on reviews online) towards either the Tikka TX3 or a Howa 1500. Never handled either and no dealer around me has on on the rack. Both have good reviews and both have lots of options. In a few months I'll be down in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and can probably look at some while I am there. Looking for input from anybody that has one. If you were in the market, which would get your nod and why?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Another rhetorical question..
Posted By: MAC Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, an honest question. Since I have never handled either I am looking for honest input. Either someone will give me some or they will post dumb comments like you just did.
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I've owned both and liked both. I really like Howas but the Tikka is probably a better rifle overall. The Tikka is way lighter which is nice.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Both are great rifles. I prefer the Tikka as it is lighter and it handles better for ME. You cant go wrong with either. You really need to handle them both.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
The basic Howa is a heavy gun, but is one of the most accurate factory rifles available. The new trigger is also nice. The old model trigger needed a smith to get a greeat pull I don't own one because they choose not to produce a left hand model. The Tikka is considerably lighter and they do make a left hand version and the triggers are nice, so that would be the way I would go. Either is a great choice for a right hand shooter.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Howa you ask this question? I tikka you know the answer!
Posted By: Trystan Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Tikka
Posted By: atse Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I have the tikka 308, and really like it. Its light, and accurate. Mine is topped with a SS 3x9 scope, and shoots quite well out to 600 yds. My rifle will shoot a consistent .75" 5 shot group at 100 yds. My son has a tikka 243, and it does about the same, maybe a little better. No cold bore issues, good adjustable trigger. I am shooting 155 grain lapua scenar hand loads in mine.Very accurate, very effective. I have no experience with the Howa, so I can't speak to them.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I've had both. Still have multiple Tikka rifles. The Howa isn't a bad rifle at all. Very traditional and they are accurate. But overweight for me, especially in a 308. Might be a better choice in a heavy recoiling magnum rifle.

Tikka is a bit modernistic and less traditional. But I've never seen one that didn't shoot, and they need nothing out of the box. Tikka is one of the lightest options, Howa one of the heaviest. Close to 2 lbs weight difference.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
The Tikka that interests me, the CTR, is pretty heavy too.

There are lighter Howas now, but for a price beyond most Tikkas. They are solid guns with forged steel actions and one-piece bolts that take down with a twist. I’ve had a fair number, but now I only have Minis, which are great rifles for boomer-geezers. My Mini Grendel just made meat this afternoon in fact, a nice doe.

I don’t need any more rifles, but if I did, I might go for a Tikka just to see want all the fuss is about.
Posted By: EFHutton Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Tikka if I had to choose..
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Have an older wood stocked Vanguard 243. A Howa.

A 6.5 Swede in a T3.

Prefer the Tikka.

The Howa is a brick. Too heavy for a sporter.

The Tikka is light.
I find it a little too light shooting off hand. How I shoot when hunting.

The Howa settles down and I shoot it better offhand.

Not a darn bit of help, but just how it is from this perspective.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I’ve had both.

Sold the Howa.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
Another vote tikka.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/23/22
I have owned both and the Tikka is lighter but I like the integral recoil lug on the Howa action better and I like the Howa 3 position safety better but the Howa's I owned were way too heavy for my taste. Howa now has a Superlite model built on a new intermediate size action that only weighs 4lb 7oz's chambered in .308 Win but they are more pricey AND not even stainless steel which is the deal breaker for me....I think you would be well pleased with a good ol Tikka T3x stainless 308 Win...Good luck...Hb
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I have a very accurate Tikka Superlite 308 that I bought earlier this year, and I will deer hunt some with it in November. My only other Tikka was a 223, and it was also a very good shooting rifle. I also have a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I put in a B&C stock, because I absolutely loathe the factory Hogue stock. I'll also hunt with it as well. It's even a better shooting rifle than the Tikka.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd choose the Howa, because I think they and their twin, the Weatherby Vanguard, are a better rifle than the Tikka.
Posted By: Petro Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I’m in north Dallas. I have a Tikka 223 and a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Let me know if you want and Feel free to come by and check them out. You can take them for a spin if you want.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by jeeper
Another vote tikka.

+1
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by jeeper
Another vote tikka.

+1

+2
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
A Howa Mini would be on my short list if it came in left hand. But since they obviously don't want my business, I'd choose Tikka.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by Trystan
Howa you ask this question? I tikka you know the answer!

😀😀😀
Posted By: hanco Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I have both, Tikka is a bit lighter, both are good choices.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
IMO, the stocks on the basic Howa 1500s are terrible, so you'd probably want to factor the cost of a replacement stock if you choose the Howa.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
No wrong answer in this scenario. Enjoy whatever you choose.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I've owned several Weatherby Vanguard II's in various cals made by Howa as well as several Tikka T3, T3x and Ctr rifles in various cals.

In my experience both brands can be outstanding in accuracy (1/2" or less groups with handloads). The Tikka's are lighter in weight and have better factory triggers. The Howa's/Vanguards have a better bedding system & recoil lug and have more metal vs plastic on the Tikka's.

Both are pretty good factory rifles and I'd choose either brand over a Remington 700, Savage Axis, Ruger American etc.
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
My Tikka 308 T3 topped with S&B Polar 4-16x56. Shoot very tiny little groups with just about everything I feed it. Mine is setup for low light hunting, thus the big optic, however it is still the lightest rifle I own.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
A Howa Mini would be on my short list if it came in left hand. But since they obviously don't want my business, I'd choose Tikka.

Funny. I’m a righty, but had to shoot my deer left-handed because she came in on the wrong side. My son has a weak right eye and has been shooting RH rifles left-handed all his life. He can find LH bows, but usually has to special order.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Both are good, but Tikka has a detachable mag and the howa one will never fall out. Both shoot well. A Tikka weighs about 75% percent of a comparable howa.....mb
Posted By: JD7 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Definitely the howa/vanguard. The tikkas are accurate and light but cheaply built. The howa is a superior built rifle. One piece bolt, heavier receiver with integral recoil lug, better extractor none of which you will find on a tikka.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I have never owned either but I know people who do. They all have accurate rifles with factory ammo and I have heard nothing about any of them having issues. After handling both brands I would go with Tikka as the just fit my hands better. Both get good reviews from owners that for sure.
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I have both howa and tikka rifles. In my opinion the tikka is the better rifle. One thing I dont like about the new howa is the three way safety, mine are all the older two way saftey rifles. My tikka is the hunter with the wood stock in 300 winchester. It has more felt recoil then the synthetic stock howa I have in 338 Winchester.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Can only attest to the Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. Accurate and well made rifles IMO.
Posted By: OGB Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Have a T3X in 30-06. Very accurate and sub 8lbs with a fairly heft scope and rings on board. Love it and see no reason to ever sell.

That said, I checked out a Howa super light at a local tow emporium and really liked it. Too bad they don't come left-handed. I'd be on one of those like a fat kid on a ho-ho.
Posted By: ELKiller Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I bought a case of that Norma 308 ammo that was on sale a while back ($15/box IIRC), and didn't even have a rifle that was chambered in 308... it was just too good of a deal to pass on.

Just last week I decided I should have something to shoot that ammo in, so I picked up the Tikka Superlite from Cabela's. Mounted a Burris 4.5-14, and headed to the range.

Shot 1 - 2" right and 4" low (Adjust scope)
Shot 2 - Bullseye
Shots 3, 4, and 5 - .75" group right on the bullseye

Pretty darned simple. I like simple.

No experience with Howa. No need to change.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Scheels at The Colony will have both on the floor for you to fondle.
Posted By: devnull Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Have both. Liked the Howa better when the Hogue stock was replaced. With the stock change, it is still portly. The action feels more solid. With that that, the Tikka just feel better in all the right places; weight, trigger and stock. My vote is the Tikka.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Both are great rifles. I prefer the Tikka as it is lighter and it handles better for ME. You cant go wrong with either. You really need to handle them both.
This
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by ELKiller
I bought a case of that Norma 308 ammo that was on sale a while back ($15/box IIRC), and didn't even have a rifle that was chambered in 308... it was just too good of a deal to pass on.

Just last week I decided I should have something to shoot that ammo in, so I picked up the Tikka Superlite from Cabela's. Mounted a Burris 4.5-14, and headed to the range.

Shot 1 - 2" right and 4" low (Adjust scope)
Shot 2 - Bullseye
Shots 3, 4, and 5 - .75" group right on the bullseye

Pretty darned simple. I like simple.

No experience with Howa. No need to change.

Like I said in my first post. This is a "rhetorical" question. Tikka is the way to go, especially over a Howa. Speaking of 308, my buddy wanted me to go with him the other day and check out his dads Tikka 308. I said sure and went to the range. When he pulled it out, I noticed it was an older T3 stainless varmint model. He asked if I would check his scope and mounts etc, so I checked everything, tightened up a few screws and he dialed it in. He wanted me to see how it shot to verify it was good:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5 shots into the same hole^^^, even though it doesn't look like it. His phone app (Ballistic X, I believe) said it was a .100" center to center group. I told him it was probably closer to 1/4" (.250"). After that, we went to the 400 yard range and fired off some 1" groups there. My personal Tikka 308 is a T3 stainless lite model and I wished it shot that well, but it is quite a bit lighter than the varmint model. Mine only shoots this well:

That was one of the first groups fired with that rifle. I recently put it in a new stock, as I never use it and it may go on the chopping block:
It's actually a T3 model that I put in a T3X stock, switched out the aluminum recoil lug with a stainless one, and replaced the plastic bolt shroud with an aluminum one. The T3's were great, but the T3x is an upgrade with those parts. I've had Weatherby vanguards and those shot well, but had extraction issues. Kind of like Savage, they shoot great most times, but tend to have miniscule issues that Tikka does not. For me, it's a no brainer: Tikka 100%, when comparing it to a Howa or Vanguard.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
I've owned both Howa and Weatherby Vanguards.
All of them shot very well.

Have had 3 Tikkas as well.
For me, Tikka wins hands down.
Posted By: Northman Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Tikka Pros:
Integral base/rail on action
User adjustable trigger
Stiffer action

Tikka Negativs:
Plastic bottom metal

Howa Pros:
One piece bolt
Integral recoil lug

Howa Negativs:
Not integral scope base on action
Gunsmith adjustable trigger
Ugly bottom metal latch

For now I own 3 Tikka T3 rifles and no Howas, even though a Howa 1500 was my first hunting rifle.
IF Howa would just machine in integral scope bases (and change that ugly bottom metal latch) I would probably change over all my rifles to Howa.!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by Northman
Tikka Pros:
Integral base/rail on action
User adjustable trigger
Stiffer action

Tikka Negativs:
Plastic bottom metal

Howa Pros:
One piece bolt
Integral recoil lug

Howa Negativs:
Not integral scope base on action
Gunsmith adjustable trigger
Ugly bottom metal latch

For now I own 3 Tikka T3 rifles and no Howas, even though a Howa 1500 was my first hunting rifle.
IF Howa would just machine in integral scope bases (and change that ugly bottom metal latch) I would probably change over all my rifles to Howa.!

I own both,

Tikka, only negative I can muster would be the 2 position safety......the howa will have a 3 position safety.

With my tikka, I can hunt with 4 rounds.......3 in the box, one in the chamber.

My howa allows 5 (maybe 6) in the mag well.

Howa 1500 is much heavier, mine was a good bit cheaper than my LH tikka.......no lefty howa that i know of.

Tikka came with rings but I choose to use one-pc talleys, which is what I put on the howa as well.

Both have excellent triggers.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
2 Howa rifles (.308 Win and 6mm CM) and no Tikka. I did put both rifles into Alpine take off stocks, really hated the Hogue on the .308 Win. Both shoot better than I do and weigh in under 8 lbs all up.

That said I've been looking for a lighter stainless .270 Win, and you're not going to get a current Howa in SS. Tikka is going to be what I probably get, unless I can find a SS Classic M70 FWT.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
TIKKER,
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Howa triggers are user adjustable. Only downside to Howa is the weight. And those ridiculous hogue stocks.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Looks like about 98% day Tikka
Posted By: Dre Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Tikka
Only other rifle I’d be looking at would be the sauer 100.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Howa triggers are user adjustable. Only downside to Howa is the weight. And those ridiculous hogue stocks.

I failed to mention, I replaced both factory stocks on each with B&C medalist stocks.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Yes, totally agree. I have easily adjusted my Howa triggers, and I have replaced the stocks on both my Howas. I do not understand why Howa continues to use those clunky azz Hogue stocks.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Can’t believe that no one has offered up a serious alternative to the OP’s two choices. Guess I’ll have to….

Model 70 EW w/MB. Very nicely finished. Slick action. I did have to replace a weak firing pin spring on mine, but that seems to be an unusual occurrence, with only one or two other complaints I found, and they sent out a replacement ASAP and free of course. If possible, you should handle one before you decide, along with the others, and anything else you can get your hands on.

Enjoy the process!
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Can’t believe that no one has offered up a serious alternative to the OP’s two choices. Guess I’ll have to….

Model 70 EW w/MB.

While I love my EW rifle now, I absolutely hated it in the beginning. Mine is a first gen .270 Win and the factory stock was horrible. Once I replaced it with a slimmer and trimmer McMillan I started loving that rifle. The stock may not be as bad on the SA cartridges since the OP is wanting a .308 Win. However, the price point of a new production EW is quite a bit more than a Tikka T3x or Howa/Vanguard.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by taylorce1
and you're not going to get a current Howa in SS.

I was not aware of that, my Vanguard is stainless and I consider it equal to my stainless Tikka. But I personally would not be very interested in a new non-stainless rifle.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by StrayDog

I was not aware of that, my Vanguard is stainless and I consider it equal to my stainless Tikka. But I personally would not be very interested in a new non-stainless rifle.

Howa is Cerakoting instead of offering SS, didn't see a current SS option on the Weatherby website in Vanguards either.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Howa is Cerakoting instead of offering SS, didn't see a current SS option on the Weatherby website in Vanguards either.
There were stainless Howas with the H.S. precision stock all over gunbroker the last time I looked.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There were stainless Howas with the H.S. precision stock all over gunbroker the last time I looked.

Good to know, it was all over the forum a few years ago that Howa had dropped the SS rifles from its catalog. It was about the same year the Alpine hit the market. Only shows the 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm Rem Mag available in SS in the 2022 catalog. I had to look after reading your post.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/26/22
I wouldn’t be disappointed with either one. I have a Weatherby Vanguard that I bought as a Walmart close out for $250 and a Sako A7 so basically a Howa and Tikka without being either. 😁. They are both excellent and accurate rifles so whatever feels best to you is the right choice. 👍
Posted By: Dre Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/26/22
!

Yes I did. But You missed it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by COexile
I've owned both and liked both. I really like Howas but the Tikka is probably a better rifle overall. The Tikka is way lighter which is nice.

I have the Howas in several calibers, and really appreciate them...

But I will concede the Tikka is just even more of a good thing... no wrong answer, which ever route you'd go with.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/28/22
Tikka
[Linked Image from thumbs.[bleep].com]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by Dre
!

Yes I did. But You missed it.

I did.

Looked around a bit at those. Interesting, with some quality features, but not my cup of tea. I’m old, and have old notions about stuff. Still prefer more conventional construction in rifles. In general though, I like the Yurrupean “budget” rifles better than stuff like the RAR.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by JD7
Definitely the howa/vanguard. The tikkas are accurate and light but cheaply built. The howa is a superior built rifle. One piece bolt, heavier receiver with integral recoil lug, better extractor none of which you will find on a tikka.

Not that any of these "deficiencies" will ever matter in actually using/owning a Tikka lol.

I like both but the ergonomics of the Tikka suit me quite a bit better...so another vote in the "handle them both" column. The price of their lil polymer mag makes me roll my eyes but hey.
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
I dont own any tikka's, but do have several Howa's. Most of them are heavy, but shoot well. I recently picked up a howa super lite in 308 and I'm happy with the purchase. The rifle with the rail weighs 4lb 9oz, and with a Virtex razor HD LH it comes in at 5lb 11.8oz. I haven't shot it much but it shot the Norma 150gr sp ammo just under an inch. I had some SSA 150gr accubond ammo and it shot those even better at .75".
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Own 2 Tikkas and 1 Howa. My edge would go to the Tikkas, but I do like the 3 position safety on the Howa. 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Funny how the people who don’t own Tikkas are the biggest critics
Howas are primitive in comparison
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
I think you'd be happy with the Tikka rifle. I have one in a 7-08 very nice rifle. I have friends who have them as well, they all like their Tikka rifles.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Yeah, all that old fashioned metal on a Howa and all that modern plastic on a Tikka. This is the 21st century, people need to wake up.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Yeah, all that old fashioned metal on a Howa and all that modern plastic on a Tikka. This is the 21st century, people need to wake up.

All that plastic like...the trigger guard? What else is plastic on a Tikka that isn't on a Howa? At least the T3x.

Not that I think a Howa is "primitive" in any way at all.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, an honest question. Since I have never handled either I am looking for honest input. Either someone will give me some or they will post dumb comments like you just did.

I don't like the Howa stocks.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
I don't like the name "Howa", so there . . .
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by Igloo

All that plastic like...the trigger guard? What else is plastic on a Tikka that isn't on a Howa? At least the T3x.

My Howa 1500 has one plastic part on it, the follower, and I'd prefer it to be metal. My Tikka T3 has a plastic bolt shroud, a plastic triggerguard, a plastic safety button, and the clip is plastic. Now, I like the Tikka, and it is one very nice shooting rifle, one that I will use to deer hunt with in a few weeks. I also doubt that I'd wear the plastic parts out in my lifetime, but I just happen to believe that the Howa is a better made rifle because it has fewer plastic parts.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Tikka each and every time
Posted By: Igloo Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by Igloo

My Howa 1500 has one plastic part on it, the follower, and I'd prefer it to be metal. My Tikka T3 has a plastic bolt shroud, a plastic triggerguard, a plastic safety button, and the clip is plastic. Now, I like the Tikka, and it is one very nice shooting rifle, one that I will use to deer hunt with in a few weeks. I also doubt that I'd wear the plastic parts out in my lifetime, but I just happen to believe that the Howa is a better made rifle because it has fewer plastic parts.

Huh, I didn't notice that the safety on the Tikkas was plastic!

Can't say I am worried about the trigger guard or the magazine, but point taken. I hadn't known that.

With the T3X, at least they come with a metal shroud now, finally lol.

To be clear I like both rifles and their design....and I think I know which one would survive the most abuse, but that abuse falls outside of just about any conceivable hunting situation.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/29/22
There are metal followers available for Howas if that keeps anyone up nights.
Posted By: wy0ming Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/31/22
Tikka is a more modern design which is why I like the Howa/Vanguard more. But that also probably makes the Tikka the better rifle. Ergonomically I really dislike the Tikkas and like the Howas and especially the Vanguards. Like the others saying to handle both, I agree that that’s the way to go. I am a huge fan of the Weatherby Vanguard and would take one every day before a Tikka. But I wouldn’t presume that it’s the best choice for everyone.
Posted By: CP Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/31/22
I am on the other side of the ledger. I have multiples of both and find for my purposes the Tikka a much better platform. Howa/Vanguard’s aversion to manufacturing a number of different platforms in stainless steel and the 1970 era weight class of many of their offerings is a deal breaker for me. However, I do like their 3 position safety and the accuracy I have enjoyed with my Howas. Nevertheless, I just find Tikkas to be the better of the two.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/31/22
The heritage of the Howa M1500 is somewhat linked to Sako as Sako early on was concerned with the design of the Howa action as it was thought to copyright infringe on the Sako L61R and L579 designs for SA, LA Std bolt and LA Magnum bolt.

After some talk of legal action Howa made minor modifications to what is now the current M1500. Nothing against Tikka rifles or their design of a more modern platform at a reduced manufacturing cost or to put it another way a super budget Sako rifle. However The Howa M1500 is at a cost point with Tikka but has as good or better than the original Sako L61R and L579 by way of 25+ years of minor advancements since it’s original design with modern tooling and manufacturing. Truth be known, the Tikka action with its rather small and somewhat deficient recoil lug (IMO) and fastened bolt among other cost cutting measures does not come close to the old Sako designs and therefore not close to the durability and manufacturing quality of the Howa M1500 design. The M1500 is a tank and can take any punishment dished out. True it’s heavier as stated, but you get an action that is cut/built out of a single solid piece of steel with integral bolt handle with no cost cutting measures. Tough as they come. Remember Howa built many Wby Mark actions for Wby 460s and 378s.

Howa also made Arisaka 99 and 38 rifles in WWII, actions that absorbed 110K psi under testing. No knock on the Tikka, it’s quite successful and shows excellent accuracy, just like the Howa M1500 rifles, and serves well in the hunting arena too. However as far as material build it is not near the build quality of the M1500. Only one man’s opinion.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Tikka or Howa - 10/31/22
Originally Posted by Rossimp
However The Howa M1500 is at a cost point with Tikka but has as good or better than the original Sako L61R and L579 by way of 25+ years of minor advancements since it’s original design with modern tooling and manufacturing. Truth be known, the Tikka action with its rather small and somewhat deficient recoil lug (IMO) and fastened bolt among other cost cutting measures does not come close to the old Sako designs and therefore not close to the durability and manufacturing quality of the Howa M1500 design.

How will this ever matter to 99.99% of hunters out there with them, though?

I mean I know its a "lives between your ears" thing and that is fine, but "better" here seems highly subjective. I really can't think of a way to measure it besides "will any of these supposed inferiorities ever matter?"

Resounding no, here. Maybe the old aluminum recoil lugs in the pre T3x guns?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka or Howa - 11/01/22
The heritage of the Howa M1500 is somewhat linked to Sako as Sako early on was concerned with the design of the Howa action as it was thought to copyright infringe on the Sako L61R and L579 designs for SA, LA Std bolt and LA Magnum bolt.

After some talk of legal action Howa made minor modifications to what is now the current M1500. Nothing against Tikka rifles or their design of a more modern platform at a reduced manufacturing cost or to put it another way a super budget Sako rifle. However The Howa M1500 is at a cost point with Tikka but has as good or better than the original Sako L61R and L579 by way of 25+ years of minor advancements since it’s original design with modern tooling and manufacturing. Truth be known, the Tikka action with its rather small and somewhat deficient recoil lug (IMO) and fastened bolt among other cost cutting measures does not come close to the old Sako designs and therefore not close to the durability and manufacturing quality of the Howa M1500 design. The M1500 is a tank and can take any punishment dished out. True it’s heavier as stated, but you get an action that is cut/built out of a single solid piece of steel with integral bolt handle with no cost cutting measures. Tough as they come. Remember Howa built many Wby Mark actions for Wby 460s and 378s.

Howa also made Arisaka 99 and 38 rifles in WWII, actions that absorbed 110K psi under testing. No knock on the Tikka, it’s quite successful and shows excellent accuracy, just like the Howa M1500 rifles, and serves well in the hunting arena too. However as far as material build it is not near the build quality of the M1500. Only one man’s opinion.

Excellent post.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Tikka or Howa - 11/01/22
I was only expressing that the Howa M1500, manufacturing wise, is a more robust, solid, durable barreled action than the Tikka. My last paragraph states that the Tikka is a fine product and will satisfy most any hunting needs. If I was choosing to build any heavy recoiling magnums in .338 .375, .416 between the two, I would choose the M1500 hands down, some because of the weight, but mostly due to solid forged billet steel receiver with massive recoil lug and a bolt design when turned down at 90* and locked has 3 gas ports pointed straight downward directing escaped gas away from the shooter just in case the reloader makes a loading mistake.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Tikka or Howa - 11/01/22
Yeah, no I hear ya...was just pointing out the differences were immaterial in terms of use (until you get to those safari cals. Yikes I would not wanna touch off a Tikka in 416 haha)

Except maybe that gas handling though. Don't know if the 90 degree bolt lug turn down really does make a difference? But on the gas...yeah. Using a starting load for Hornady 100 gr 6.5mm bullets to work up from, I could definitely feel little puffs of gas on my face because the brass wasn't obdurating enough to form a seal.

Wouldn't want to know what that feels like if a casing lets go, etc. Definitely see what you mean there.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka or Howa - 11/01/22
I was only expressing that the Howa M1500, manufacturing wise, is a more robust, solid, durable barreled action than the Tikka. My last paragraph states that the Tikka is a fine product and will satisfy most any hunting needs. If I was choosing to build any heavy recoiling magnums in .338 .375, .416 between the two, I would choose the M1500 hands down, some because of the weight, but mostly due to solid forged billet steel receiver with massive recoil lug and a bolt design when turned down at 90* and locked has 3 gas ports pointed straight downward directing escaped gas away from the shooter just in case the reloader makes a loading mistake.

So what do you make of these accounts of extremely high round counts on Tikkas......

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-after-19-000-rounds-m595-and-t3s.284746/#post-2804178
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Tikka or Howa - 11/01/22
Great, but still a less superior action than the M1500 in overall material makeup and design IMO.

I would also add the M1500 has been utilized by Wby since the mid 70s in their Vanguard line. It is the Vanguard line that saved Wby’s ass financially in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So what do you make of these accounts of extremely high round counts on Tikkas......

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-after-19-000-rounds-m595-and-t3s.284746/#post-2804178

Bad choice if you are planning to use the rifle as a lever to lift a few tons of bricks or the front end of your truck, I guess. Especially if you hold it by the two piece bolt handle wink
I don't think Rossimp is saying that Tikka rifles are no good. He's just pointing out that Howa rifles are better made, and for a fact they are. As I said in an earlier post, I have a Tikka T3 and it's a very accurate rifle, one that I plan on keeping for the foreseeable future. It's like aa Ford versus Chevy debate, just pick the one you like, and use it, and let the other fellow be happy with his choice as well.
Yeah, I get him.

Think we're just saying "largely academic, since its never gonna matter, but if it makes some difference to you mentally, cool". Or at least I am.

Except for the gas handling. I know which one I'd rather...but then I've shot enough Winchesters too lol
Personally, I prefer a Remington 700 or 7 over everything else. But, I just like trying different things, especially if the price is right, and that's how I got into the Tikka and Howa rifles.
Personally, I prefer a Remington 700 or 7 over everything else. But, I just like trying different things, especially if the price is right, and that's how I got into the Tikka and Howa rifles.

Starting to lean that way here too, James. They really grew on me.

That said I think very highly of the Howa/Vanguard as well as the Tikka. Don't want it to sound like I'm trying to say the Tikkas better. Great rifles both.
© 24hourcampfire