Home
Posted By: 270WSMANIC Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
This happened to a buddy's dad sighting in for the Ohio m/l season. Ready to leave to sight in he sent his grandson back to get the 777 bottle he forgot off the table. Unfortunatly there was also a bottle of smokeless shotshell powder on the table. Not noticing the mistake he loaded up whith what he thought was 110gr 777 then put the gun in a lead-sled (which may have saved his life) and squessed the trigger. Only injerey was brused eye brow and loss of hearing (hopefully temperary) in left ear.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyotewallace Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Glad everyone is ok....WOW! Just WOW
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
????Why on earth would he have a jug of smokeless powder out on a bench at all????? Glad ot hear he's not badly hurt.
Posted By: FVA Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Whoa! Glad he wasn't seriously hurt. I wonder if anything went out the back. Whose make is that?
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
looks like an encore.....
Posted By: coyotewallace Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Looks like whats left of a T/C
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Glad he wasn't seriously injured. I guess it does pay to read the label sometimes.

What gave me pause was the comment that the powder was left sitting on the table. Would that be the same table where people sit and fill the ashtray with cigarette butts? crazy
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Glad he wasn't seriously injured. I guess it does pay to read the label sometimes.

What gave me pause was the comment that the powder was left sitting on the table. Would that be the same table where people sit and fill the ashtray with cigarette butts? crazy

omg ,i really don't think the gun blew up on the freekin dinning room table.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Didn't imply that (or I guess maybe I did). It was an offhand comment about having powder next to burning cigarettes.
Posted By: Seminole39 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
shocked

involuntary bowel evacuation
Posted By: safariman Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Very fortunate that the injuries are not worse. Glad to hear that he will be OK. Quite an explosion there.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/11/12
Holy schneikies!! That is as much twisted metal as I've ever seen from one kaboom!
An incredible blow-up! It is amazing no one was seriously hurt. Pieces of everything went everywhere.

It sure emphasizes the necessity of extraordinary care on and around the bench. I once shot nearly an entire box of 30-30 ammo through my .32 Win Spl, baffled by wildly flying keyholes and no recoil. You would think any idiot would have stopped at the first shot and figured the problem out, but this idiot just kept shooting until I finally noticed the label on the ammo box.

At least in that case I got away with total embarrassment, but no damage to me, anyone else, or the rifle.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/12/12
Yes, if I'd of just looked at the picture, and not read the post, I'd of thought it was a hunter safety poster entitled, "Never smoke around gun powder. This is what can happen."
Just glad no one was injured more. Man, that smoke pole really blew...
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/12/12
Wow

He is very lucky to be alive!!
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/12/12
dadgum . eek
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/12/12
about as dumb as the guy near me that on purpose put the powder from 3 12g shells in a hawkens and shot it. gun looks about the same.
Posted By: rick59 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/12/12
He's very lucky that he still has all his body parts after that!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12
If the cigarettes don't get ya the ML will.........
Posted By: fat_daddy Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12
eek glad there were no serious injuries
Posted By: SKane Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12

That one gives the chills just looking at it. Glad your bud escaped virtually unscathed.

And, not make light of a potentially catastrophic event but this is FF:
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
If the cigarettes don't get ya the ML will.........

laugh
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12
Damn, that cat should have stopped on the way home and bought a powerball ticket grin glad everyones OK, and dont forget to turn down that other bomb over there simmering on the stove. wink

Gunner
Posted By: Hubert Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12
Think leoupold will repair that scope? eek
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/13/12
It aint that bad
"my dad has an awesome set of tools I can fix it"
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/15/12
For sale: Gently used T/C
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Hubert
Think leoupold will repair that scope? eek
If it was a Leupold I imagine they would do something about it.

......but it's not
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/21/12
So the kid handed him the wrong powder, but the adult loaded it?
Who is the weak link here?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/21/12
holy cow!!!!!

gotta pay attention to things for sure
totally advoidable circumstance

thank the guy above
no one was seriously hurt or killed
Posted By: hicountry Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/21/12
Someone care to run the Quickload stats on that load ?

Honestly, short of a howitzer, I doubt there is a rifle made that could withstand that pressure.

WOW is right...

Tony
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/21/12
Nasty
Posted By: kawi Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/22/12
could happen allways.
Posted By: killahog Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/22/12
I am wondering what powder was it. I only shoot smokeless powder in my Muzzloader. (I is a rebarrelled savage is designed for tha).
Posted By: rick59 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 01/22/12

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by killahog
I am wondering what powder was it. I only shoot smokeless powder in my Muzzloader. (I is a rebarrelled savage is designed for tha).

I don't think it would matter which smokeless power he stuck down the barrel of the TC in the picture.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/01/12
The upside is that there's one less Lead Sled in this world.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/01/12
Was there a brown stain in his pants too? I know I would've dropped a deuce RIGHT THERE! Wow

RH
Posted By: rick59 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by Swampman1
The upside is that there's one less Lead Sled in this world.

And why do you consider that a upside, what is it that you don't like about the Lead Sled? I kind of like the one I use, maybe I'm missing something.
I've seen them break stocks.
Posted By: rick59 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I've seen them break stocks.

I did not know that. How in the H would that happen?
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/01/12
Lead sleds breaking stocks are mainly due to the person over loading the sled with lead. My FCX lead sled has over 10,000 shots off it with everything from muzzleloaders to centerfires and I've never had an issue. It weighs 23lbs naked which is plenty to tame recoil from any rifle. No need for 50 or 75lbs of lead.
This sled had no lead on it. There's no need for a sled. It accomplishes nothing.
LOL sure
They remind me of something you'd buy on late night TV for $19.95 and get a Bamboo Steamer if you order fast. What's the point of them?
same as the golf carts you hunt from, makes things easier.
Easier to what?
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/02/12
Closest to a guesstimate I can generate on QL is using the .50-110 as a base, a 350 grain bullet, and 110 grains of BlueDot or HS6.

Figure between 400k and 500k PSI.

If something like Clays.... up it by a factor of 2...

Damn.....
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/02/12
Wow!!
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/02/12
Try this load next time:
an inch or two of FFFF B/powder
followed by 2" of Bullseye
topped off by 3 " of More ffff BP

It will send the parts over the moon!
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/03/12
Did this happen on a Public Range ?

GTC
Posted By: PeteD Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/03/12
he 777 bottle he forgot off the table. Unfortunatly there was also a bottle of smokeless shotshell powder on the table. Not noticing the mistake he loaded up whith what he thought was 110gr 777

There's a couple of parts to this fiasco that I do not understand.
Bottles? What bottles? The container that 777 comes in looks nothing like any shotgun powder container that I know about - there is that whole "777" thing on the label that lets you know what you have. Had he put propellants into unlabelled containers?
Appearance. How does one load 110 grains of anything without looking at it? 777 does not look like any shotgun powder that I have ever seen. So.....how did he do this? (and what a lucky guy).
Pete
Posted By: captchee Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/04/12
HOW Pete ???????

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PeteD Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/04/12
Captchee: That doesn't do it for me. A person would have to be blind not to notice that the container is NOT 777. It looks nothing like a 777 container, or a Pyrodex container or a BP (pick your brand) container.
A person would have to have pretty much zero knowledge about what they were doing to take a can of Win 231 and mistake it for 777. Nothing about them is the same. Even if each were in an unmarked container, they don't resemble each other at all.
Could you really pick up that can of 231 and think that it was 777 or BP? Could you pour 110 grains of it into a powder measure and not see that it doesn't look like 777. No, I think not.
This accident was not a single mistake; it was a whole chain of mistakes.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/04/12
Wonder if someone was trying to "see" if smokeless could happen??
Posted By: captchee Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/04/12
Pete
i think your missing what was in the photos i posted .
See all to often folks for what ever reason , put their powder in a different container .
Maybe they buy the powder in bulk or feel the original container no longer seals properly .
This is not only dangerous but its also illegal.
But that doesn�t stop it from happening .

In fact the above photos are from a range where things like blowing down the barrel or standing with your hand over a muzzle is greatly frowned upon as being un safe .
Yet they had no issue with this fella who put True BP in a smokless can . He even went so far as to make a lid with a spout on it . He was pouring right from that can , to his powder measure

While I would totally agree with you that the original containers , as well as the powders themselves ,look completely different . If the person in question had changed containers
And was foolish enough not to distinctly and clearly mark the one with T7 in it .
Well there you go .
Im not saying that�s what happened in this case . I don�t know . But it sounds to me like this may have well been what happened .
Like you , I just cant see any other way one could confuse the two powders
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/04/12
Perhaps some type of liquid refreshment was also involved? Just saying!
Posted By: BIGR Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
Glad he was not hurt real bad. What a disaster.
Posted By: PeteD Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
Captchee: You are correct. I did not glean what you have since said from that photo.
That container labelled "231" really held BP? That is crazy behavior.
Thanks for explaining
Pete
Posted By: rem141r Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
your buddies dad should not be allowed around guns. he is a moron. how you mistake shotgun powder for 777 is beyond me. if he is that unfamiliar with powder types and he is reloading shotgun shells, he is lucky he still has a face.
Posted By: blanket Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
Originally Posted by captchee
Pete
i think your missing what was in the photos i posted .
See all to often folks for what ever reason , put their powder in a different container .
Maybe they buy the powder in bulk or feel the original container no longer seals properly .
This is not only dangerous but its also illegal.
But that doesn�t stop it from happening .

In fact the above photos are from a range where things like blowing down the barrel or standing with your hand over a muzzle is greatly frowned upon as being un safe .
Yet they had no issue with this fella who put True BP in a smokless can . He even went so far as to make a lid with a spout on it . He was pouring right from that can , to his powder measure

While I would totally agree with you that the original containers , as well as the powders themselves ,look completely different . If the person in question had changed containers
And was foolish enough not to distinctly and clearly mark the one with T7 in it .
Well there you go .
Im not saying that�s what happened in this case . I don�t know . But it sounds to me like this may have well been what happened .
Like you , I just cant see any other way one could confuse the two powders
Aside from being dumb by putting powder in a container that it did not come in, how exactly is it "illegal"??? Please explain
Posted By: captchee Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
The federal law as I understand it ,Blanket , requires storage to be in an approved and labeled container . Cans like Goex uses have been approved . Same with the plastic bottles for T7 pyro and such .
Even lose powder in bulk , ie 25lb bags , are placed in an approved plastic bag , properly labeled container .
How sticky the feds want to get about that , depends on the officer who checks you .
In my case , it�s a approved and certified bunker and all the requirments that go with such storage
Normally there is not any big issue for say a shooter IF the container is clearly labeled.
. Does this normally create an issue other then a safety one . I would say no . but that depends on how much of an ASS someone wants to be .
State laws can differ so you have to check the state you live in as well as local laws as to the amounts you can own and how they can be stored . let me warn you though . its a never ending cross check aften times regulated by alot of diffrent agancies .
Posted By: captchee Re: Big time m/l blow up - 02/05/12
That container labelled "231" really held BP?

yep it sure did . if you look in the box , you will see the top of a 2nd smokless can , also with BP in it
© 24hourcampfire