Home
I see you can get 300 Gr.Accubonds now for 338.Can the 9.3 X 62 do anything for Moose and Big Bears my 338 Win mag can`t do???? I actually hate these kind of questions and here I am asking.I have a CZ 9.3 X 62 and am wondering if its worth my time to develop loads or just be happy with my 338 Win. mag and sell the 9.3 X 62.
i'm not qualified to give a hands on answer having not yet killed either species but, i wouldnt think the animals would know the difference.

And keep 'em both and buy a nice 458 Winchester Magnum. laugh

Gunner
I have both as well. Shoot 225 TSX in the .338 & 250 TSX in the 9.3. Both do the job & no game could tell the difference. I like both rifles (model 70s), but carry an old FN .375 most of the time now.
There is no big bear or moose that could withstand a proper hit from either. In fact, imo, the 250gr Partition in the .338 is plenty and needs no introduction; the same can be said about the 286gr in the 9.3x62.
All above mentioed will kill a moose or bear well. The only difference I can see is the 9.3's velocity does not require premium bullets as speeds are less and bullet weight is generally higher. EG: a 286gr @ 2450 fps does not require premium, a Hornaday will suffice, but a 338 with a 210/225 @ 2800 fps may require a premium bullet. That all said you may find you shoot the 9.3 more than the magnum and that's a good thing.
Remington now loads a 286 grain Core-Lokt in 9.3x62 and the 286 factory loaded Norma Oryx (a bonded bullet) shoots well in my 9.3. Don't forget Federal loads both a 286 Swift A-Frame and a 286 grain TSX in 9.3x62, in addition to a 286 grain Barnes solid. I believe Barnes also loads a 286 grain TSX under their own brand name.

The above are 200 yard loadings, max. Trajectory is an issue in 286 grain 9.3x62 loadings.
Originally Posted by Huntz
I see you can get 300 Gr.Accubonds now for 338.Can the 9.3 X 62 do anything for Moose and Big Bears my 338 Win mag can`t do????

Not that I am aware of.
My shoulder thinks the 9.3x62 kicks a heckuva lot less than a 338 with same weight bullets. That makes it more fun to shoot. And it's reputation as a good big game cartridge is well established. However, the 338 has meaningfully higher velocity, bullets with higher SD and BC, and a reputation for long range performance.

When I go to hunt grizzly or brown bears, I will take a stainless steel Winchester M70 in 375 H&H with premium 300gr bullets, probably partitions or A-frames.
Not sure you have asked a valid question. Be my GUESS that the 300 gr Accubond was developed for the 338 Lapua and its increasing popularity. Even Nosler can see some sense in getting their share of the Lapua pie. No flame intended, doesn't the Lapua have a tighter twist to stabilize the 300 gr bullets than an ordinary 338-06 or 338 Win Mag come with? Just an idea but since the demise of the 300 gr Silvertip factory loading then the 275 gr Speer component bullets,heavyweights have not been availible until the Lapua hit the scene.These heavyweight 338's are designed for high BC and long range Target shooting or sniping for the most part. Magnum Man
Most .338 Lapuas have the same 1-10 twist as the .338 Winchester Magnum, which is plenty to stabilize a 300-grain HPBT out to 1000 yards under typical conditions, though some use a 1-9 twist.

The only big bear I've shot wasn't all that big, about a 7-1/2 foot grizzly, but I have shot some big moose with the .338 and 9.3x62 and couldn't tell much difference.
I don't think either a moose or big bear would know the difference or really give a hoot.
I think a 300 grain Accubomb would make a heck of a bullet in the .338. Elmer to the contrary, I never could like the 275 Speer versus the 250 Nosler and Bitterroot.
never heard of a moose or big bear that wore plate-steel! even if I WAS wearing plate steel, I still wouldn't like my odds of surviving a hit by either!

Close your eyes and repeat after me: "Eenie, meenie, miney, moe..."
have them both.....can't tell no diff betwixt either. the animals in question I've shot could not tell no difference. I'd keep the 9.3 just because it is a good meat gun.
After thinking about it and having used both on bears there is one slight difference.
You can carry five 9.3x62 rounds in the magazine of most rifles and only three .338's.
Originally Posted by 458Win
I see you can get 300 Gr.Accubonds now for 338.Can the 9.3 X 62 do anything for Moose and Big Bears my 338 Win mag can`t do????

Not that I am aware of.

You want us to believe that you have experience hunting moose and bear?

whistle laugh
I see you can get 300 Gr. Accubonds now for 338.

Huntz,

Would you please show us where you found a 300 gr Accubond. Nosler's web site only shows a 250 gr as their heaviest.

If my info is the same then either the .338 or 9.3 both have 250 AB's. Obviously the .338 will have a higher BC and SD. For me, it would come down to which rifle I had more confidence in.

Alan
GSSP,

I'm not Huntz, but Midway has that bullet listed as "coming soon" on their website grin should be a helluva bullet for the big 33's.

Gunner
After thinking about it and having used both on bears there is one slight difference.
You can carry five 9.3x62 rounds in the magazine of most rifles and only three .338's.

Phil, my question is have you ever been in the situation where you needed the extra 2 shots? Thanks
Originally Posted by gunner500
GSSP,

I'm not Huntz, but Midway has that bullet listed as "coming soon" on their website grin should be a helluva bullet for the big 33's.

Gunner

Gunner,

Thanks,

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP
GSSP,

Gunner

Gunner,

Thanks,

wink

Gunner

Alan
GSSP,

Gunner

Gunner,

Thanks,

Alan

Midway is where I saw them advertised.
Nosler's website has them listed and the specs.
I see you can get 300 Gr. Accubonds now for 338.

Huntz,

Would you please show us where you found a 300 gr Accubond. Nosler's web site only shows a 250 gr as their heaviest.

If my info is the same then either the .338 or 9.3 both have 250 AB's. Obviously the .338 will have a higher BC and SD. For me, it would come down to which rifle I had more confidence in.

Alan
Nosler's website has .338 300gr AB listed and the specs. BC of .720 seems pretty impressive.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Accubond.aspx

Yes, Sir, and after having shot a pile of game with both the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H over the past 30 years, I have told many folks that the 9.3 is a 375 with five in the magazine!

Ted
© 24hourcampfire