Home
Okay boys and girls, it's time to upgrade and protect a good chef knife and possibly a good carving knife. What do you use and prefer? I've been using Chicago Cutlery for many years, but I know they aren't the best out there, though I can bring them to a razor edge quickly. My wife just had a Pampered Chef show - how are their expensive chef knives? Or should I be looking elsewhere - recommend away! I know how to care for them and sharpen them to a razor's edge, but I have to protect them from the wife and kids from damaging the edges - they can have the Chicago Cutlery. I've got about a $100-150 budget for a good chef's knife. I grab my 7" Chicago Cutlery Chef's knifefor all chopping/dicing/mincing needs, but have never tried a Santoku style blade either, so I'm up for recommendations on that end as well. I also have a 12" Chicago Cutlery Chef's knife, but that doesn't get used as often as the 7", as it's a little unwieldy for many tasks. Thanks!
http://www.sawtoothcutlery.com/pages/products.html

This is mine

[Linked Image]
my latest kitchen prep knive, by our own MRK
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

I wish! A little out of my price range at this point. Sweet looking knives - I'd love that culinary set!
I find that knives need to be fitted to the chef like a gun to a shooter. Smaller hands=smaller blades/handles. I have huge hands and need a big handle to keep me from getting fatigued too quickly. Go to a cutlery store and try a bunch and get the one that fits. "Sets" are not the best choice as one of the set may really fit and the others not so much.
Lots of good information here selmer if you feel like sifting through it.

LINK.

Mike
so far as factory made knives are concerned, I like the carbon steel K Sabatier brand from France. I'll take these any day over the various Stainless Steel German blades.
Their outlet store in South Carolina is a hoot to shop in, and great to deal with on the phone as well.
http://ksabatieroutlet.com/
Hi Selmer,

A Japanese chef knife is called a gyuto.

Great value high performance cutter here:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

Koki is an outstanding vendor... only $6 bucks shipping from Japan and you will get in three business days.

Scroll down to the 210mm or 240mm - don't be afraid of the added length over your Chicago Cutlery - it will be thinner, lighter, and far more nimble than what you are used to. If you plan on any carving at all I would go with a 240.

A santoku tends to be a compromise. One that will hamstring you on certain cutting motions.

Good luck! smile

Laugh if you want but...

Kitchen Cooks Knives

Santoku

They work and are of good quality
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
my latest kitchen prep knive, by our own MRK
[Linked Image]

I liked the look of your knife Sam and ordered one for myself. It is a fine knife and I have used it to butcher bear, deer and a slew of vegetables. MRK is a fine man who exhibits characteristics not often seen in businessmen today. Exceptional quality, easy to sharpen and an incredible edge holder.
Randy
I've used my set of 4-Star Zwilling J.A. Henckels for almost 30 years and wouldn't want any other knives. Get the model with the polypropylene (no studs) handle which is absolutely "comfortable".

My favorite and most used Henckels is my 200mm (8-inch) chef's knife. It is perfectly balanced which means it does a wonderful job of any kind of cutting or slicing.

In my opinion, there is no better choice for "THE" top quality knifes than the 4-Star Henckels knives.

There's none better, but... unfortunately, they aren't "cheap". But on the other hand, they'll last a life-time! smile

Here's a link to their web-site:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cutlery/zwilling-henckels-knives/

If it doesn't get you there, try again... it works eventually. wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

A lot of this is just repeating what everyone else said, but here it is anyway.

Knives are a lot like rifles. You can spend as much or as little as you want and still shoot a deer (or slice a tomato).

If you want a no frills working knife, it's tough to beat any of the Forschner Fibrox knives, especially for $30.

The German standards, Henckels and Wusthofs are generally well worth the money, and should last a lifetime, but I've found the thicker blades aren't what I prefer any more. Make sure you get the forged blades made in Germany. They both outsource a lot of their knives now.

The French Sabatiers are incredibly elegant and the carbon steel can be made "spooky" sharp. The blade will patina with use, which I think is pretty cool. It is also a pretty thin blade, with a shape I prefer more and more.

The Japanese gyutos are being found in more and more pro kitchens. The carbon steel blades are even thinner than the Sabatiers and they are incredibly hard. Despite the hardness, they can be brought to incredible levels of sharpness. This creates some issues though. Due to the hard, thin blade, they are not for chopping through chicken bones or frozen foods. If that's something you do often, the German knives are for you.

You can really get a lot done in the kitchen with a chefs knife, pairing knife, and cleaver.

Otto's spot on IMO. After using Henkels Twin Professional S, Wusthof Classic, Messermeister Meridian Elite, and a few others, the thinner non-heavy bolstered knives have become favorites. IMO the Forschner/Victorinox Fibrox knives are an absolute bargain. I tend to use them for functions where people may use them and not take great care with them and buy them for specialty knives such as Cimeter and butcher knives.
Go with 4 or 5 Star Henckels. Not cheap, but not terribly expensive either. They will make you wish you had thrown out your mothers Chicago Cutlery and assorted other Supermarket giveaway knives many years ago.
I've been happy with my Wusthofs set for the last 10 years or so...

You guys kill me with your high dollar knives...I can buy them at wholesale....have used several of the brands you mention...but for the money you can't beat the knives I posted above.

FWIW you are paying 2x+ for the cost of your knives wink
Originally Posted by eh76
You guys kill me with your high dollar knives...I can buy them at wholesale....have used several of the brands you mention...but for the money you can't beat the knives I posted above.

FWIW you are paying 2x+ for the cost of your knives wink

you make a lot of assumptions that the ppl here are paying full retail and that you are the only one that can get them for a lot less...
No I'm not making assumptions, as most are paying full retail or near that. You are making one huge assumption yourself wink laugh

I was simply making a point that cost has little to do with quality and value of knives a lot at times. Most "name" brand brands are vastly overpriced and quality is not what it was when they built their "name". My point was I am able to buy the over valued "name" brand knives at a much lower price than most BUT I have found a very good quality knife for the dollar and thought I would pass that info along...nothing more...nothing less...you can un-puff now
Hope you are a conservative.
Originally Posted by brooksrange
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

the ignore feature is bliss!
you speak truth to power, Keith. laugh
Wusthof Classic are probably the best I've ever had.
I still use the set of Chicago Cutlery knives that I bought some 30 years ago. I have them sharpened twice a year by a local professional at that sort of thing. Of late thou I been playing with a ceramic knife. its a small Santoku I use for pre work on things like tomatoes , onions, celery potatoes and garlic when I want to do a fine dice. Its a cheap one I bought at the local stop and shop. I like it so much I just might buy a good one. I am not that great of a cook, I can fairly well, but I only cook for myself. Mannlicher I like that knife who do I have to talk to, to get one?
I have mentioned the K Sabatier knives from France. I just got another, a three inch carbon steel paring knife.
That knife, along with my older 10 and 6 inch Chef knives are the ones I use the most.
I like the French Style, with a thinner blade, a different shape than German knives that facilitates working with the tip.
Being carbon steel, they develop a nice patina over the years.
There is no doubt that they out perform Stainless Steel German knives.
[Linked Image]
THIS MAY SOUND KINDA OFF THE WALL BUT

I use three Rapala filleting knives for just about all of my culinary needs and have for forty years.They hold an edge with which I could shave, cost little, have very flexible blades and just work for me.

Terry
Oh you are gonna be in so much trouble! These guys pronounce Wusthof like Thurston Howell the 3rd would I am afraid laugh

I say whatever works for you is just fine! smile
I try to pass on to inquiring minds, the benefit of my many years owning/managing restaurants.
At times though, it's like casting pearls before swine. laugh
Just as a single brand, model or caliber of rifle isn't EVERYONE'S choice, we can't expect that a single type/brand of knife will be everyone's choice, either.

I totally and completely have enjoyed my 4-star Henckel knives for over 30 years and believe they are "THE BEST"... that's just MY opinion and/or judgement and isn't necessarily anyone else's "truth".

The one thing all of us have in common is... we like fine knives for use in the kitchen... no?

(Of course, in the final analysis, I "KNOW" I'm right!) grin grin grin

C'MOM... SMILE !~!~! This is supposed to be "FUN" !!! smile

Ron T.
I think how sharp a knife is, is more important than what kind of knife it is. Of Course, the latter can bear on the former. A good knife that is dull isn't of much use.
isn't of much use

At least not to me.
Originally Posted by add

Great value high performance cutter here:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

Koki is an outstanding vendor... only $6 bucks shipping from Japan and you will get in three business days.

The Kagayaki that Koki has is an excellent knife at that price point. I've had one in my kit for years and I grab it as often as the Ikkanshi-tads I have that were 3x as much. All of the JCK originals are a good value and the carbo-next gets a lot of play as well.

Dave
Birthday on Thursday. Just ordered a carbon steel K Sabatier 8" Cook's knife from the outlet store.
Let us know how you like it. The 10 works better for me, but then I use the 6 inch often as well.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have mentioned the K Sabatier knives from France.
There is no doubt that they out perform Stainless Steel German knives.

Right up to the point you cut something acidic. eek
The old K-sabs are quite nice as long as a buyer knows the limitations and care required. SS is just a lot more practical for many.

Dave
Dave, I kinda like the patina that carbon steel knives acquire after use. laugh

I do to. I have an old Case that my grandfather bought back in the day. That will get passed on for sure along with his 39a Marlin.
Sure wish we still had a few of his other tools. He only bought the best he could find.
Well, we started on the patina this evening. Between cutting tomatoes for canning and apples for dehydrating it's obvious where the primary cutting area was at. What a difference in feel and cut from the stamped Chicago Cutlery I've been using for decades! Comparable to going from a Mossberg 500 home defense special to a Browning Citori XT in balance...
© 24hourcampfire