Home
Posted By: 35sambar 338 edge - 04/21/24
I’m tossing up between the accubond LR 265grain or the 300grain which should I choose?
Posted By: Ridge_Runner Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
I run 300 buts thats just me
Posted By: xphunter Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
Originally Posted by 35sambar
I’m tossing up between the LR Accubond 265grain or the 300grain which should I choose?

300 SMK?

What do you intend to use it for?

Which shoots the best in that rifle?

I have only used the 265 Long Range Accubond on game, and that was only one time. The bullet performed well at 624ish yards on a mature Red Stag, but since the shot was placed well, most bullets would work too. One and done.
Posted By: 35sambar Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
Aim is to shoot to 1200yards , just accumulating components atm rifle is still being built , need a starting point im leaning towards a 300grain projectile I like and can get accubonds atm, I’ve had mixed results with Bergers so I’m starting somewhere different this time
Posted By: xphunter Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
Aim is to shoot to 1200yards , just accumulating components atm rifle is still being built , need a starting point im leaning towards a 300grain projectile I like and can get accubonds atm, I’ve had mixed results with Bergers so I’m starting somewhere different this time

The 300 grain Sierra Match King has been a long time favorite with the Edge.
1200 yards shouldn't be a issue on steel with the 338 Edge

The one who made the Edge popular to me back in the day was Shawn Carlock.
Find his forum posts and articles on longrangehunting.com and you will find a lot of good info.
Just one link I quickly found
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/defensive-edge-338-edge-youtube-rifle.245742/

His YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/@ShawnC338
Posted By: aalf Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
I’m tossing up between the accubond LR 265grain or the 300grain which should I choose?
300 in Berger or Sierra, which ever is most accurate......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 35sambar Re: 338 edge - 04/21/24
It’s for a hunting setup not really after what brand , more so which is the better weight in the edge at that distance I notice the BC isn’t that much better in the 300 and I’m not sure in the difference of drop
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: 338 edge - 05/14/24
It’s for a hunting setup not really after what brand , more so which is the better weight in the edge at that distance I notice the BC isn’t that much better in the 300 and I’m not sure in the difference of drop
35Samba, I spoke to some guys a few years ago who are very successful at the distances you are talking about on blacktail (which are a lot smaller than what you shoot) with their .338 Edge and .338 Lapua. They used to use the 300 Matchking but switched to the 300 Berger because of the better b.c. However, they said that the 300 Matchking seemed to kill better and were thinking of switching back. They were also contemplating going up to .375 to extend the range before the bullet goes through the transonic barrier. Just from my own experience, I get better accuracy from Bergers than LR Accubonds in .277 bore. Where you live, you may find the Bergers way cheaper than the LR Accubonds, which is relevant for practice at the range.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: 338 edge - 05/17/24
Don't forget the Barnes 265gn LRX.
Even shoot great in a standard .338 Winchester.
Posted By: 35sambar Re: 338 edge - 05/18/24
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
35Samba, I spoke to some guys a few years ago who are very successful at the distances you are talking about on blacktail (which are a lot smaller than what you shoot) with their .338 Edge and .338 Lapua. They used to use the 300 Matchking but switched to the 300 Berger because of the better b.c. However, they said that the 300 Matchking seemed to kill better and were thinking of switching back. They were also contemplating going up to .375 to extend the range before the bullet goes through the transonic barrier. Just from my own experience, I get better accuracy from Bergers than LR Accubonds in .277 bore. Where you live, you may find the Bergers way cheaper than the LR Accubonds, which is relevant for practice at the range.
Thanks heaps yeah I’ve done a backflip and brought some bergers to start with just for availability and cost
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: 338 edge - 05/19/24
Haven't used the Bergers but have killed game with the 300gn Matchking in my .338/378 back before it was a factory cartridge. It killed if course, but I was also shooting a .340 Weatherby at the same time which was a lot more pleasant to use considering the differences in muzzle velocities.

However, I am not a long range shooter by the statements on this thread.
© 24hourcampfire