Home
Anyone know the weight of a short action push feed M70 compared to a M700 short action?

Just curious....
Great question- I looked for the M70 weight last night and could not locate it.
I have not been able to find the M70 weight either.
IIRC, a short action crf winchester model 70 is approx. 44 ounces (not significantly lighter than a long action model 70). Not sure a pushfeed is significantly different. As an aside, I think they are already set up for a OAL of 3.0 inches, or slightly more (maybe 3.1).
I read a post saying a model 70 short action weighed 42 oz. I can't confirm that though.
I am a M70 Win fan, but lightweight it is not gonna be!
Remington weights. This includes mag box, spring, follower, trigger and screws.

S/A BDL 2lb 4oz

L/A Bdl 2lb 7oz
If these numbers hold up, you have 36 oz. vs. 42 oz., or a 6 oz. advantage, Remington.

To me, that sounds about right, bet it's pretty close.

Unless you're going for an all out mountain rifle, you can lose weight other way and come out OK.

I like the push feed M-70's, even though they're not considered "cool". They have the three position safety 700 owners pay good money for. And they have the robust N.H. trigger that so many like, which can be tweaked to a really good, clean pull.

DF
Was the above listed weight of a Mod 70 SA with or w/o the hardware (trigger, follower, box, BM etc). ?
Anyone know what a 700 clone short action weighs? Like a Defiance? Thanks.
Yes......it's weight in gold......
34 Oz for a surgeon 591 S/A without trigger or bottom metal
26.5 Ounces for a bare Borden Alpine
To really compare these actions, we'd need to make sure each weight represented the same configuration, i.e. bottom metal and equipment.

DF
OK, how about a bare Remington 700 short action with bolt, no mag box, bottom metal. Vs a Defiance Hunter/GAP Templar short action.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by patbrennan
As an aside, I think they are already set up for a OAL of 3.0 inches, or slightly more (maybe 3.1).

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I like the push feed M-70's, even though they're not considered "cool". They have the three position safety 700 owners pay good money for. And they have the robust N.H. trigger that so many like, which can be tweaked to a really good, clean pull.
DF

Those alone are real advantages without spending big money to get you there in a true hunting rifle. I'll never build on a 700 again. Not that I don't like them, but I think the push feed model 70 is a better option. The money saved from the new trigger and DBM for the 700 buys a good barrel. Leaves a little left towards the stock or action work too...
I follow your reasoning and can't disagree.

Although, my builds of recent have been on 700's.

DF
Lets look at the M700 with trigger, factory bottom metal complete vs the M70 short action push feed the same way.

Funny you can find M700 complete weights in many places but the M70 weight of a short action is a well kept secret for some reason.

That is true about the actions, but I was looking to compare complete M70 push feed short action weight to a M700 to compare apples to apples...
Don't forget to add the recoil lug to the m700 since the m70 has it built in. I love the m70 SA push feed. Building a 6.5saum on one right now. I'll try to get a weight.
[Linked Image]

that's an early classic with PT&G fp/tg

A M70 will go 3.100 magazine if you take out the spacer and fiddle with a couple other things. I've made a 7x57 on one.
I was hoping you'd jump in on this one!Perfect platform for a 7x57, or a Roberts!
We are getting closer on the M70 push feed weight....

Thanks for posting!!
M70 SA- WSM Action with ptg bolt knob and bottom metal. Going to be a 6.5saum very soon!
[Linked Image]
I didn't even think about the 3+" mag box. If one added the cost of mag box conversion, three position safety conversion, trigger work to a 700 to equal what a push feed M-70 already has, it's quite a contrast.

I would think the push feed M-70 would be a hair lighter than the CRF with its long extractor.

DF
I didn't even think about the 3+" mag box. If one added the cost of mag box conversion, three position safety conversion, trigger work to a 700 to equal what a push feed M-70 already has, it's quite a contrast.

I would think the push feed M-70 would be a hair lighter than the CRF with its long extractor.

DF

That's what I was talking about in my earlier post. You're already there for several hundred dollars less. Push feed 70's are the way to go.
A sleeper.

DF
The longer mag box is a real plus with many cartridges, not to mention other features already on the SA M70....
Thanks 805, push feed SA? I can't tell with my old eyes....
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

DF

That's what I was talking about in my earlier post. You're already there for several hundred dollars less. Push feed 70's are the way to go.

Except that the PF extractor is a weak point, and replacements are unobtanium.

If you're going to put a lot of money into a M70 PF, you may want to consider having an M16 or Sako extractor conversion done:

Post-'64, push feed, Model 70; Sako extractor install

And BTW, a Williams claw extractor weighs less than an ounce, so the weight difference between a CRF and PF M70 action would be negligable.

Originally Posted by mmgravy
Thanks 805, push feed SA? I can't tell with my old eyes....

Yea push feed short action. It is barreled now and will be done soon.
Thanks for the information!!
Good info.

So 38.8 oz. vs. 36 oz. based on data posted.

The PF SA M-70 is just 2.8 oz heavier than a SA M-700.

Interesting.

DF
What does a 700 recoil lug weigh? That weight should be added to the weight of 700 when comparing...
I was assuming those 700 weights included the recoil lug.

If not, that does change the equation.

DF
Also, if 308's M70 action had aluminum PT&G bottom metal on it, the weight would be higher with SS or CM bottom metal.
Mine does have aluminum ptg bottom metal. So factory would be more but I don't have any to weigh.
Originally Posted by Gasman
Except that the PF extractor is a weak point, and replacements are unobtanium.

If you're going to put a lot of money into a M70 PF, you may want to consider having an M16 or Sako extractor conversion done....

Well, I've shot a few thousand rounds through five different pushfeed 70s in various calibers, and have yet to see a broken extractor. Never have had one fail to extract either. So I think you're setting up a straw man.

Second, if you need one of the little easy-to-replace extractors, you can buy them right now on eBay for dirt cheap. They are easily obtainable.

A Sako/M16 extractor would be the last thing someone should do, just as it is unnecessary for a Remington action.
I am a huge pre 64 Win 70 fan. That said, I have seen a few claw extractors break on Mausers, Springfields, and my beloved pre 64's. I honestly never saw a pushfeed M70 or Rem 700 extractor break. Rem 721/722 yes but 700 no.

It is like everything else modern metals, and modern machinery allow miniaturation.
© 24hourcampfire