Home
Posted By: wabigoon Walking Guard? - 03/06/24
Not wild about it.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Walking Guard? - 03/27/24
I was on guard duty at Camp Pendleton. The rain was coming down so hard visibility could be measured in feet. A coyote walked up to me at just looked at me for a bit - the two of us just staring at each other. Finally the coyote walked off and I resumed my patrol.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Walking Guard? - 03/27/24
I walked guard duty three times while at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas. Twice at the post bank and once at the PX. I assure you, that M1 Garand gets heavy after four hours on your shoulder. grin

L.W.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Walking Guard? - 03/27/24
I remember mail call, coffee, and try to sleep with a 300 watt lightbulb in your eyes
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Walking Guard? - 04/08/24
My 1st tour as an MP I waked guard, and did static in shacks and towers.

My positively favorite was being selected for R.A.T.S. (Railroad and Truck Security) in Korea.

Basically guarding shipments down and up the peninsula. They'd give us a set of TDY orders that said "utilize whatever transportation available" and a case or 2 of C-Rats to get there and back. We'd be out a week to 10 days sometimes depending on the shipment priority. For a SP4 it was about the coolest job imaginable.

Closest I came to guard duty as an LT was payday when we'd draw a weapon, report to finance, get cash (US and Marks) to pay the troops. Afterwards, go back to finance and hope your tally was correct.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Walking Guard? - 04/11/24
Can't remember "walking guard", but can remember vividly in the fall of 67, huddled in a bunker next to a swamp with two other guys, in S Vietnam. Especially when harassment fire would occasionally occur.
© 24hourcampfire