Home
Ok a fun topic for everyone. If you could have one, and only 1 winchester rifle in your collection which one would it be and why. This is a fantasy question so assume price is no object, but the fact that you'll never own another winnie is.

Me I'm taking a Long Tang Deluxe Model 71. Reasons: I like Ruger bolt rifles and with much work they can be a suitable replacement for a model 70. I also love my Marlin leveractions and a presafety 336 and a mod'd 1895G plus a few 1894s could curve my leveraction lusts.
Pre-war Model 70 7x57 carbine.
One of my pre 64 M70 .270 fwts...with a 300 H&H a close 2nd.
Whatever needs doin. . . .
From killing a grizzly -- to winning a beauty contest
This can do it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pr64 FWT, with Krieger bbl, factory FWT contour, in 257R.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Ok a fun topic for everyone. If you could have one, and only 1 winchester rifle in your collection which one would it be and why. This is a fantasy question so assume price is no object, but the fact that you'll never own another winnie is.

Me I'm taking a Long Tang Deluxe Model 71. Reasons: I like Ruger bolt rifles and with much work they can be a suitable replacement for a model 70. I also love my Marlin leveractions and a presafety 336 and a mod'd 1895G plus a few 1894s could curve my leveraction lusts.

Alright, finally a question I don't want to answer shocked ..Can I plead the fifth on this one Matt???
Can we go off of supposedly made uncataloged rumor? If so model 70 in a 35 whelen supposedly they made them but who knows...
Originally Posted by 79S
Can we go off of supposedly made uncataloged rumor? If so model 70 in a 35 whelen supposedly they made them but who knows...

The guys at winchester used to build all kinds of "uncataloged" and prototype chit. Little perks of working there I guess. This is only heresay, as I've heard this from a few different people (older gunsmiths and people who knew employees at the time) now..
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
This can do it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Post some pics of targets from that bad boy. I could hit a grizzly in the eye (it shoots so good) with my fwt grin...
I'd probably choose a 30-06 since it's such a versatile caliber. Pre-64 of course. It would have to be accurate as hell. FWT would be ideal but I'd settle for a heavier standard weight.

Oh wait, I have this rifle! grin

I bought it from BSA, who did a killer job on the bedding.

Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've got an 06 fwt.

If not I'd probably get a 300 H&H or a 270 fwt.
I have now had 43 P-64 Mod. 70s, a 1946 Mod. 71, a 1941 Mod. 64, a couple sts Classics and several P-64 Mod. 94s plus a 1920's Mod. 12-20ga.

I have had three original .375s, one re-barreled custom .375, four original .300H&Hs, five original .338s and on and on and on. I still have four of the .338s, one each, the nicest, of the H&Hs and a pair of nice .270 Fwts. plus a pristeen .30-06 Fwt.

For ONE, I don't even have to think as it would be my FIRST P-64-70, an unfired, when I bought it in January, 1968, Alaskan, .338WM. This is STILL my favourite rifle, in nice shape and a very smooth actioned rifle, nice wood and it SHOOTS.

I love this gun and if I could only own ONE gun, this would be IT.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

The guys at winchester used to build all kinds of "uncataloged" and prototype chit. Little perks of working there I guess. This is only heresay, as I've heard this from a few different people (older gunsmiths and people who knew employees at the time) now..

I've seen two P64 M70's in 8mm Mauser that were made up for one of the engravers for Winchester.
I have a 1892 32-20, three 94's in .30wcf, a 64 .30wcf and a early long tang 71 Deluxe. Post 64 there are two NH Classic Stainless Model 70's 30-06 & .308 and a 94/22M. Want to add a pre64 Model 70 as well.

If I absolutely could only keep one it would be the CS Model 70 30-06. If I had that pre 64 the answer may be different.
Pre 64 FW 270 Winchester.
Wow surprised that every one of you would opt for the M70 (Pre 64 of course!)Damn fine rifles, I guess my heart strings just get strummed by levers more than bolts when it comes down to it!
Matt, I love my 1 and only lever wink...Remember, I haven't answered your question yet. I'm still thinking about it blush
I love my Leveractions but if I had but one Rifle/Cartridge to rely upon to see me and mine into the future there would be a lot to contemplate.

Alright Matt, which one?

Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg[/img]

1937 Long tang Model 71 348 win:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/008_zps55b4c2a1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007_zps60bada7b.jpg[/img]

How about this newer rifle. I know the FN doesn't deserve to be in the running, but I do like it. 300 wsm 2008 Limited with Extreme Weather barrel on it:

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/008-31.jpg[/img]
It would have to be my pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 with a FW barrel. It is my favorite rifle. That rifle and I go back a ways.
Standard Model 95 rifle in either .30 US Army or .35 WCF.
can't decide but here's my three winchesters
first one is mod 54 30/06 with a carbine barrel
[Linked Image]
win 94 in 25/35
[Linked Image]
and my mod 12 in 16ga
[Linked Image]
This is not easy as I have a number of them but the one I would have to pick is a p64 Standard in .243. It's a '59 and the stock is very dark, with lots of stripes and nice checkering. I call it my sexy rifle, because it is one sexy rifle.

I ruled out my "pair of aces." How could one pick between a .375 and a .300?
I also ruled out my '06, a number of .22's and shotguns as well. I don't have a lever. Isn't that sad?
I'd just keep the 1949 model 94 .30-30 that I already have. I've owned it since 1982 and the dang thing is bolt action accurate and dependable as a hammer. I've owned a pile of 94's over the years and I'd hate to try to find another as accurate as this one.
Yep, I know what you mean about a good 94...
A cased deluxe takedown 86 with 3 barrels and engraved by Stokes, short of that a pre '70 carbine in 7x57 would get me by.........
From the ones I already have, eh ??

Have to go with this one:

[Linked Image]

70 Classic Stainless in 7-STW. Squared, trued, bedded, lapped and re-crowned (factory barrel), 24 oz. trigger, 6-20 Weaver Grand Slam.

140 gr. Accubonds over 7828 at a whisker over 3600 into bugholes. A hard one to let go of.
BTW.............. Picking JUST one JUST ain't fair. crazy
Just a nice clean classic custom on a pre-war action. Maybe in 270 Win... Oh yeah,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
+1 Mod 71 Long Tang Deluxe with Bolt sight

I need more brass!!
Ed, I love the figure on that stock!! Gorgeous!!

Eric
Alright Matt, which one?

Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/008_zps55b4c2a1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007_zps60bada7b.jpg[/img]

How about this newer rifle. I know the FN doesn't deserve to be in the running, but I do like it. 300 wsm 2008 Limited with Extreme Weather barrel on it:

I don't know, how do you pick from a group like that??

After all this, I might change my pick to this EW I got from you, dang its nice!

Hey btw I haven't heard much from you about that 270, I like it! My second favorite long action round, and man that one looks to be one heck of a shooter!
It would be a hard choice for me. I have a 1941 model 70 converted to left handed and rebored to 35 Whelen that has served me well. I also have a left handed 70 classic in 400 Whelen. It would be tough to choose between them.

Mart
Alright Matt, which one?

Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know, how do you pick from a group like that??

After all this, I might change my pick to this EW I got from you, dang its nice!

Hey btw I haven't heard much from you about that 270, I like it! My second favorite long action round, and man that one looks to be one heck of a shooter!

Matt, you are going to love that EW.
It would be my pre 64 Featherweight 270. 2nd would be a certain 30/06. grin

[Linked Image]
BSA you know you would be toting a pre 64 Featherweight 30/06. laugh
Yeah, you know me pretty well grin.. Your 270 is awesome buddy..
Yep, 30/06's are mandatory in my mind. As are 270's and 375 H&H's. That covers a pretty broad spectrum in hunting big game. Plenty of overlap.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
From the ones I already have, eh ??

Have to go with this one:

[Linked Image]

70 Classic Stainless in 7-STW. Squared, trued, bedded, lapped and re-crowned (factory barrel), 24 oz. trigger, 6-20 Weaver Grand Slam.

140 gr. Accubonds over 7828 at a whisker over 3600 into bugholes. A hard one to let go of.

Wow !!! Some absolutely KILLER gorgeous Winchesters, fellers !!! shocked

I'm thinking, now, I shoulda picked tone of my prettier ones to keep. frown
model 67a i got 50 years ago as my first gun, stands next to my bed now. next in line would be my 94 big bore 375.
Have to say my 62A

I love this old pump. Mfg. in 1954...I was 2 years old when it was made.

Have owned it for over 30 years.

Virgil B.
I've got a '94 in 25-35 circa 1901 that just oozes cool. That'd be my choice.
Originally Posted by raybass
It would be my pre 64 Featherweight 270. 2nd would be a certain 30/06. grin

[Linked Image]

Does that "certain" 30-06 look like this?

[Linked Image]

grin
LOL yep sure does! Exactly to be honest.
Man, those are some beautiful Pre64's!

Mine would be the present from my wife for our 10 year anniversary.

M70 338 Win Mag Alaskan. Just love this rifle. Can't ever seem to leave it at home and it shoots pretty well with everything so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's first trip to Idaho.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have updated it with a Swaro 2.5x10 since then.

[Linked Image]

The wife did well. She was notified when I was in AFG the rifle was in Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shop, and they would give her a deal on the rifle.

Well, the same guy contacted me about the rifle, the same time and asked if I wanted it. Well, of course I wanted it, but I knew the CINC-House wouldn't go for it, so I didn't push it. WELL, once I got home, they sent some pictures of the rifle, I drooled all over the screen.. She said "what are you looking at honey?".. I showed them to her, and she said "that looks just like your rifle."...

Man, talk about a cool present. Just an awesome hunting rifle in just about my favorite cartridge. Hopefully it gets to count coup on a poor spike elk this Fall in Oregon. It has yet to draw blood by my hands.
I just love that story man!!
Mine would have to be my 1949 Standard in .270. Found it 6 or 7 years ago. The stock was un original finish and it had been cut for a recoi pad.

It is the first rifle that I restocked myself. I found a nice blank that had been duplicated, but not inletted. I used hand tools only and inletted the entire thing myself. I am pretty proud of that stock and the rifle.

[Linked Image]

She shoots pretty good too! I mounted a 4x scope on her and during load development with 130 gr Accubonds she turned in quite a few sub 3/4 MOA groups.

[Linked Image]
That stock is definitely something to be proud of. Looks pretty badass and shoots that way too.
Beautiful stock.
That's a beauty Pat! You did real nice work. Real nice.
M54, .30-30. Oops, I have one.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, those are some beautiful Pre64's!

Mine would be the present from my wife for our 10 year anniversary.

M70 338 Win Mag Alaskan. Just love this rifle. Can't ever seem to leave it at home and it shoots pretty well with everything so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's first trip to Idaho.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have updated it with a Swaro 2.5x10 since then.

[Linked Image]

The wife did well. She was notified when I was in AFG the rifle was in Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shop, and they would give her a deal on the rifle.

Well, the same guy contacted me about the rifle, the same time and asked if I wanted it. Well, of course I wanted it, but I knew the CINC-House wouldn't go for it, so I didn't push it. WELL, once I got home, they sent some pictures of the rifle, I drooled all over the screen.. She said "what are you looking at honey?".. I showed them to her, and she said "that looks just like your rifle."...

Man, talk about a cool present. Just an awesome hunting rifle in just about my favorite cartridge. Hopefully it gets to count coup on a poor spike elk this Fall in Oregon. It has yet to draw blood by my hands.

Beretzs, you have an awesome wife and rifle!!! You did good all the way around.
Yep.
Beretzs, you have an awesome wife and rifle!!! You did good all the way around.

Thanks man.
1895 in 03 made in 1907 with a repo action sight, its action is smooth beyond belief too bad someone re-blued it.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
This can do it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Post some pics of targets from that bad boy. I could hit a grizzly in the eye (it shoots so good) with my fwt grin...

[Linked Image]
Can't play if I can only pick one. But these are all special ones.

This one is spooky accurate. Started as a 7mm-08 and is now a .308W.

[Linked Image]

It's best up till now:

[Linked Image]

This one sat silent for many years. .308W

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dad's .30-06. It was BTH so I committed the sacrilege-to some, but I enjoy it better when it snows and the wood doesn't turn white-of having it restored. Shot more than a few, but not a picture exists that I know of.

[Linked Image]

Just remembered there is one of it in the background. Wish the fellow holding the Bear could be restored also. grin Three of us dragged that Bear for around 6 hours out to a road, only to later find out if we went the other way there was a connecting dirt road maybe around 500yards away. And it would naturally be downhill. grin

[Linked Image]

Granddads .32WS: Family history is it never shot a single Deer in season. Out of season could be another story. Threw some oil on the stock and steel wooled the rust off.

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/005-8.jpg[/img]
I'd be torn between my 1886 45-70 and my 1895 405.
When I think of Winchester I think of lever action. Both of these represent the highest level of lever action.

Jim
If I were being greedy, I'd want the other (missing) Model 21 in .405 WCF.

There are two I wish I still owned. One was a Model 95 in .405, the other was a Model 70 .375 with a 3 digit serial number.

I guess of the two, I'd pick the .375.

Tom
If my one Winchester was for actual use it would be a transition M70 in 300H&H, OK I already have that one!

For pure coolness my one WInchester would be a M73 1 of 1000.
Man, that's like having to cut off all yer fingers/toes except for ONE... cry

Ok, but it might be this one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Custom shop M70 in my favorite round - the .264WM.. THIS baby would be all I'd ever really need...
Probably the middle one.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
I just love that story man!!

Did you happened to see my post about walking away from a pre-1964 Hornet for sale in a pawn shop for $75? Denver 1965.

Paul
Brent that scope looks like something out of Jose Wales. Very cool.
My pre A 52 Sporter....
Number 2 son would choose the pre-64 358 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] grin

Well maybe me too.

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/Africa407.jpg[/img]
Very nice Ed! Sweet rifle!
Mine would have to be the 1937 Model 71 with the bolt peep in deluxe, that has never been fired. It is just too sweet to ever get rid of.
Originally Posted by bart71175
Mine would have to be the 1937 Model 71 with the bolt peep in deluxe, that has never been fired. It is just too sweet to ever get rid of.

I bet....
I'm not as loony over Winchesters as some people, but over the years have owned a couple dozen Winchester rifles, including and original Low Wall in .32-20, an original High Wall in .45-70, a bunch of Model 70's including pre-'64's in .257 Roberts and a .264 Westerner, a 94 .32 Special that left the factory the month I was born, and some post-'64 Model 70's, including Classics in 6.5x55 and .280.

But right now I'm down to five: a 62A .22, a 9422M .22 Magnum, an 1892 .25-20 made in 1913, an 1894 .25-35 made in 1898, and a pre-'64 .300 H&H. If forced to keep one it would probably be the .300.
Damn, I'm still undecided on this. I've narrowed it down to my 375 H&H, model 71 and fwt 30-06 cry sick
After selling off a bunch of Winnys, I still have at least 8 left. All but one are pre-1964.

All are cool. My 1886 or M70 .300 Supergrade probably the nicest looking. The 55 takedown is way cool. My 1953 M70 would probably be the most practical choice. The 88 is the one I use most. But this is the one I dig the most.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And it's longer cousin ain't so bad either.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Only have one. It's an 1894 26 inch octagon barrel full magazine rifle with a 5 digit serial number. First year 30-30 from what I've been able to find. It belonged to my Grandfather and was passed down to my Father and then to me. I shot a black tail deer with it in '86 and retired it. The question now is since I have no progeny who should it go to? I'm thinking a distant relative that knew my Grandfather, my Father and me.
I like the Winchesters built now. So Win Classic Short Action Featherweight in .308.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm not as loony over Winchesters as some people, but over the years have owned a couple dozen Winchester rifles, including and original Low Wall in .32-20, an original High Wall in .45-70, a bunch of Model 70's including pre-'64's in .257 Roberts and a .264 Westerner, a 94 .32 Special that left the factory the month I was born, and some post-'64 Model 70's, including Classics in 6.5x55 and .280.

But right now I'm down to five: a 62A .22, a 9422M .22 Magnum, an 1892 .25-20 made in 1913, an 1894 .25-35 made in 1898, and a pre-'64 .300 H&H. If forced to keep one it would probably be the .300.

I can honestly say that of the four of this model I have owned since my first circa 1990, I have seen these, often WELL used in hard BC meat making, shoot consistently many of the tiniest groups with "max" loads of the 200 NP of ANY rifle I have shot or seen shot, this includes customs by many big name US makers, Brit. rifles by several famous makers, H&H, for one, all of the noted Euro. makers and some of these cost more than a new Toy. 4x4.

I have found them THE most "balanced" and easy to shoot "freehand" five shot, rapidfire groups of 3" at 100M, again, consistently. When, restocked in a GOOD synthetic, my latest and minty example is in a Borden-Rimrock, they shoot, for me, so well that it amazes me.

Only Brno 21H-60mm rifles and my Dakota 76-,338WM have balance quite as workable and I seem to shoot well with them, as well.

I get about 2900 at the muzzlem with the 200NP and I think that is hard to better for most hunting of bigger stuff and the recoil does not even approach my .338s or the .30 Roys I have shot for friends. YMMV, JMHO.
The damn Logo got me started, cowboy on the horse, and then I started talking with some of these nice enablers ..I mean nice guys on here. I finally bought my version of the best of the bunch for my kind of hunting, now I'm hooked. laugh
Dewey,

Actually, I can't think of many rifles I've had in .30-06 or any .300 magnum that wouldn't shoot the 200-grain Partition pretty damn well--and also can't think of very many animals I'd be afraid to hunt with a 200 Partition at 2900.

I have the factory stock on this rifle, which isn't pristine. In fact that's one reason I bought it, because it wasn't a safe queen. It's evidently a lighter piece of walnut, because the rifle weighs 8-1/2 pounds scoped, even with the 26" barrel, and yes I do like the way it handles and points.
It would have to be my 21. It is a field grade made in the first year they put ejectors in them. Everything else is just what you don't generally want in a model 21 but is ideal for my use and I wouldn't change a thing. It has a 26 inch cylinder and modified barrel and is fantastic in a dove field.
Of any Winchester ever produced, it would have to be the Winchester "United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1" issued to my father in 1941. Of the ones I currently have it would once again be connected to my father, either his Model 64 .30-30 Carbine or his Model 70 .270.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
After selling off a bunch of Winnys, I still have at least 8 left. All but one are pre-1964.

All are cool. My 1886 or M70 .300 Supergrade probably the nicest looking. The 55 takedown is way cool. My 1953 M70 would probably be the most practical choice. The 88 is the one I use most. But this is the one I dig the most.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And it's longer cousin ain't so bad either.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love those model 71's man. I'm glad I have one of my own to fondle grin whistle
I would keep my 1886 take down in 45/70. The outside shows the age, but it doesn't have any pits, it is still tight as can be and the bore looks like new. It is shown below my 1894 in 30/30 that came in a close second.

[Linked Image]
I would probably sell my whole collection for a Pre'64 7x57 Super Grade. I have dreamed all of my life about owning that one rifle. powdr
I have gathered up a fair number of nice Winchesters over the last 40 years but I would have to hold onto the one I have owned the longest - a Winchester M9422 my parents gave me for HS graduation in June 1973. Here I am shooting it right after I got it and just days before leaving for BCT - my girlfriend and her brother are hidden behind me in the picture - I still have her too!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Only have one. It's an 1894 26 inch octagon barrel full magazine rifle with a 5 digit serial number. First year 30-30 from what I've been able to find. It belonged to my Grandfather and was passed down to my Father and then to me. I shot a black tail deer with it in '86 and retired it. The question now is since I have no progeny who should it go to? I'm thinking a distant relative that knew my Grandfather, my Father and me.

I know you and am willing to listen to stories about your father and grandfather smile
By looking at some of the target pictures it seems the rumor that pre64 Mod 70s are not that accurate is false.
444Matt: My "one" Winchester (heaven forbid that should be the rule!) would have to be a Deluxe Model 64 in caliber 219 Zipper with a 26" barrel!
I have always had a hankering for one of these but never had a chance to buy one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
444Matt: My "one" Winchester (heaven forbid that should be the rule!) would have to be a Deluxe Model 64 in caliber 219 Zipper with a 26" barrel!
I have always had a hankering for one of these but never had a chance to buy one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I was just looking at one of those the other day. Pretty cool rifles...
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
By looking at some of the target pictures it seems the rumor that pre64 Mod 70s are not that accurate is false.

Every one I've ever had was accurate as hell. I don't really see a need to own anything else. wink ..Shooting my pre 64 375 H&H the other day, just reconfirms that..

Every one I've ever had was accurate as hell. I don't really see a need to own anything else. wink ..Shooting my pre 64 375 H&H the other day, just reconfirms that..

An M70 375H&H is on my list! Thinking of searching for a classic action to do a build on. Do you think that would be cheaper than trying to find a Pre 64 action to build on?

An M70 375H&H is on my list! Thinking of searching for a classic action to do a build on. Do you think that would be cheaper than trying to find a Pre 64 action to build on?

Way cheaper. Nothing wrong with the classic action to build on either. I saw a new FN the other day for less than $1,000.00. It was no where near as nice as my pre, but it would definitely work for someone looking for a good 375 H&H.
Knowing that I would want to swap the factory stock anyway for a Micky I'd be after every cost savings that I could find. I'm probably a couple of years a way from doing that build, but if I was to run across a good deal on an action I'd be hard pressed not to jump on it and just stick it back in the safe.
Knowing that I would want to swap the factory stock anyway for a Micky I'd be after every cost savings that I could find. I'm probably a couple of years a way from doing that build, but if I was to run across a good deal on an action I'd be hard pressed not to jump on it and just stick it back in the safe.

You can find some nice Classic rifles for around 500-600 that are still looking new. I actually like the Classic's more than the FN's, due to having the old style trigger. The MOA is nice, but the older Pre64 style trigger is much better for me.
Originally Posted by beretzs

You can find some nice Classic rifles for around 500-600 that are still looking new. I actually like the Classic's more than the FN's, due to having the old style trigger. The MOA is nice, but the older Pre64 style trigger is much better for me.

Im happy the model 70 is being built in the USA but I will never understand choosing the MOA trigger system over the old mod 70 trigger.I also own several late 80's thru mid 90's Winchester 70's ,all are great looking and shooting rifles.
Mine would have to be my old pre-64 super grade in 300 H&H, love that rifle.

Gunner
I bought and sold a lot of Winchester and Browning rifles when the girls were in college to help with the education expenses. I have had numerous .375s and one .300 H&H. Most that I owned were .30-06 and .270, mixed as standard and FW. A few Supergrades. I owned one Supergrade '06 three different times. I shot my best mule deer with it during the second trip to my house. I got rid of all the standards for personal use because of weight. As I "matured", the standard and magnums seemed to put on weight. The H&Hs were always heavy.

I liked lazy shop keepers. A lot of years ago,,I took a chance on a .270 SG in a shop in east Texas that might have had a bad bore. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and turned a $325 investment into an $1000 gun. The bore was just dirty.

The only 70 that I have is a Std. Pre war .270, purchased by a family friend in 1940. He hung up his guns about 1960. My cousin bought his three M70s. The one I have, a std pre war .30-06, and a newish .264 Westerner. I don't know where the .30-06 went, but cousin sold the .264.

Of all the 70s that I have used, I think my dream factory job would be a featherweight, Supergrade, Monte Carlo, in a standard full length caliber such as .30-06. The 7mm Mauser is appealing, just because I never had one of those. Since mine is far from collector quality, it might just get transformed. Change the safety, rust blue, new FW contour barrel and either a SG stock, or perhaps a McMillan with the wood look. Jack
First of all I never owned a pre 64 model 70. I did own a 25 06 model 70 ranger and it shot better than any rifle I owned, however it out weighed everything I owned by a bunch!I hunt in Idaho and am very weight conscious. A very stout friend of mine shot it and had to have it! I love how you model 70 guys can "fix up" your rifles and still like them! I cannot believe how some collectors want to have a funeral if a spare hole is drilled in a receiver. For me however I will always have a model 88 in 308. Pre 64 preferably. How ever the stamped Oak leaves are cool also. They feature model 70 barrels, excellent lever action, and a handy clip. It also shoots with scope, sights or peep. And chambered for relatively inexpensive easy to find ammo.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
First of all I never owned a pre 64 model 70. I did own a 25 06 model 70 ranger and it shot better than any rifle I owned, however it out weighed everything I owned by a bunch!I hunt in Idaho and am very weight conscious. A very stout friend of mine shot it and had to have it! I love how you model 70 guys can "fix up" your rifles and still like them! I cannot believe how some collectors want to have a funeral if a spare hole is drilled in a receiver. For me however I will always have a model 88 in 308. Pre 64 preferably. How ever the stamped Oak leaves are cool also. They feature model 70 barrels, excellent lever action, and a handy clip. It also shoots with scope, sights or peep. And chambered for relatively inexpensive easy to find ammo.

Yeah, but they kick like a damn mule. My pre 64's are just the way they came from the factory. No work needed except, for some glass bedding on a few of them wink
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

That post just doesn't seem fitting without the appropriate picture to go with it. Hope all is well with you buddy...:
[Linked Image]

There, now that's more better grin
Jim Brockman custom fitted a pad on a cloverleaf tanged post 64 88 action? I can doubletap at 80 yards with 180 grains not much recoil at all!
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

That post just doesn't seem fitting without the appropriate picture to go with it. Hope all is well with you buddy...:
[Linked Image]

There, now that's more better grin

Thanks Bro BSA, I know it's overkill, but I'm gonna have to take her out for white tails this fall, been a couple three years now and she's feeling neglected. grin

Oh, BTW, the 200 gr A-Frames really overpenetrate.

Gunner
Thank goodness we live in the good ole USA and can own and shoot more than one Winchester, ( for the time being ). If I could only take one Winchester to the great deer woos in the sky it would be my 56' mod 70 target in a sporter stock in good old ,do it all 30-06. The gun has never let me down and is capable of shooting better than me. pre 64 model 70's are rifles that shoot just as good as they look, very best
© 24hourcampfire