Home
Bought a rem. 700 bdl and I am trying to figure out the date it was made. Here is a pic of the barrel markings[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20240416_203500.jpg
March 1969 or March 1998
[Linked Image]I thought it was the 60's it looks old, I like the 24" heavy barrel and the weaver steel 10 power scope. Looks almost unfired from the bolt face and bore

Attached picture 20240416_183659.jpg
March of 69
thank you!
Originally Posted by garren
March of 69

I turned 16 that March. Where did the years go to??
Agree with 69 as per the markings. But also, that checkering pattern would ball park it if original as it was used ~69-73.
Tal35: Well good for you on acquiring that nifty Rifle!
What caliber is it?
Have you shot it yet?
If so - how does it shoot?
Do you want to sell it?
That "checkering" pattern was my least favorite of the Remington styles used on their Varmint Specials over the years - BUT.... every 700 BDL Varmint Special I have owned with that style checkering shot/shoots REALLY well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The fluer de lis checkering puts it as a 69. The 24” bbl puts it as a 25-06? Or is that a magnum contour bbl? Can’t quite tell in the photo.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
The fluer de lis checkering puts it as a 69. The 24” bbl puts it as a 25-06? Or is that a magnum contour bbl? Can’t quite tell in the photo.
Looks like a short action. I'm betting 22-250 or 220 Swift.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
BDL Varmint Special.

Short action.
IT is 22-250 heavy barrel, I shot it the other day and it shoots nicely. Has an old 10 power steel weaver scope on it. In to it for $750 which I thought was reasonable. No, not for sale, I also have a 24" heavy barrel in 7-08, but the barrel has been threaded for a suppressor.
Tal35: Thanks for the clarification.
Enjoy that nifty rig - glad it is shooting nicely for you.
That was a very good price for that Rifle/scope combination.
In the last 20 months I have bought two Remington 700 BDL Varmint Specials in caliber 22-250 Remington. Both shoot fairly well with modest power scopes on them (3x9 Leupold on one and a straight 8 power Leupold on the other).
I am looking to up the scope power on both of them this summer.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Here is my Varmint Special in 22-250, 1970.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
5 shots
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire