Home
I have an older 222 Rem inbound, and I’m putting together an order for bushing dies, brass and such.

Is anyone using Lapua brass in 222, and if so, could they provide an outside neck diameter for a loaded round please? I am not sure which size bushing to order. Thanks.
.246 measuring 10 of my handloads using a 50gr VMax.
I use RCBS dies.
Thank you!

Would you happen to know how far your sizer die squeezes down the outside diameter of the neck before the expander ball pops back through it? I have gotten tired of factory standard dies, squeezing the neck down way more than needed and then reefing the expander ball back up through the neck.
Sorry, I don't.

I'm on my first loading of 300 Lapua cases.
Originally Posted by RickF
Thank you!

Would you happen to know how far your sizer die squeezes down the outside diameter of the neck before the expander ball pops back through it? I have gotten tired of factory standard dies, squeezing the neck down way more than needed and then reefing the expander ball back up through the neck.

No fired brass here & no Lapua 222. On my RCBS 222 dies, the hole for the neck measures .239". A .240" gauge pin wont go. Expander ball is .223". The date code on my dies is 86, so it may or may not be the same now.
Thank you to you both, I really appreciate it!
I prefer to buy factory amo, shoot it then reload it. I currently have 3 boxes of factory federal brass, one box of Remington brass and one box of sako brass (unshot factory amo) for our 222rem that I reload for.
I use a .246 bushing for Lapua and Winchester 222 brass and Sierra bullets. TiCarbide with that particular bushing
I also use a .246" bushing in my Redding comp. neck sizing die.........best idea is to not use it until you need it.
I have several 222's and use Lapua brass in all of them, use a Lee Collet neck die for at least the first 3 firings along with a Forster BR seater and you will have the straightest ammo possible.
save a body die and bushing die until about the 4th loading.

Too bad Lapua dropped the 222
© 24hourcampfire