Home
Not mine or my thing, but find this interesting.
Prices out of line? Maybe not for the complete set NIB?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...belled-are-all-nib-.cfm?gun_id=101569084
That's pretty cool. I have one in .280 and really like it. Bob Milek got me turned on to them with his article on one in .35 Whelen. Simple lines and nothing fancy. The prices seem high but maybe not considering it would be tough to put the entire collection together now if it was something you just had to do.
$1400 per NIB rifle - for that collection, in this current market -does not seem bad at all.
WOW !!

Have a .350 Rem Mag, sold one just like it, and sold a .250 Savage.

Great guns.
Thats impressive, I've got 12 of them, but all 25!? I set out years ago to fill the collection, but realized some of the calibers offered just didn't make sense for my use. Always wondered why they never offered the classic in 243 Winchester.

Rich
Wow. What a collection of classics. Wish I had all of them that I have bought and sold back. Still have a 250 savage and 257 Roberts in classics though.
Posted By: SKane Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/19/20
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
I set out years ago to fill the collection, but realized some of the calibers offered just didn't make sense for my use. Always wondered why they never offered the classic in 243 Winchester.

I was in a similar boat.
All went down the road in favor of a growing preference for SS and fiberglass with the exception of a .220 Swift. smile

And couple of them were scarce as hen's teeth not long after production. I don't think the price for the collection is completely out of line and likely not a bad time to move it. Pure conjecture on my part but I'm not sure future generations will fancy/value the wood/blued like it once was.
They did offer it in .243 as I had one, or maybe my memory is shot. Shot many Prairie Dogs with it. Wish I had it still.
Posted By: SKane Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/19/20
sako, they originally offered a series of classics (4 chamberings) and all had iron sights IIRC - .243, 7mm mag, 30.06 and .270. And I don't think they produced them as "limited editions" but did call it a Classic. From that point, it was a single offering/chambering every year. Don't bet the farm on my recollection of the 4 original chamberings though. laugh
No Remington 700 Classics ( at least the one caliber per year limited production ones) were ever offered in any 6mm caliber chambering. I find that odd since TWO classics in that bullet diameter come to mind, those being the 243 Win and 244 Rem. I still hunt today with most of mine, My 264 Win Mag and 257 Bob are my faves. I searched long and hard for one in 7X57 and finally acquired one a couple months ago.

R
That would be a cool collection to have.
Have had a few classics over the years.
As SKane mentioned prior to going to the 1 caliber a year runs, they did chamber the Classics in standard offerings. They made them in .22-250, .243, 6mm, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-06 and most did not have sights I believe (again if memory serves me as well, and I had them in all of those calibers).
1979 6mm Rem Classic [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Gus Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/19/20
Originally Posted by DBrink
As SKane mentioned prior to going to the 1 caliber a year runs, they did chamber the Classics in standard offerings. They made them in .22-250, .243, 6mm, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-06 and most did not have sights I believe (again if memory serves me as well, and I had them in all of those calibers).

i have an original classic in '06. very nice stock, no sights. lovely gun to hunt with.
I have the 35 whelen, remember I paid 400.00 for it at the time.
Recoil bothers me now so it rarely gets shot.
First 243 I owned was a 700 classic, purchased the first couple years they were offered before becoming a 1 caliber per year limited production.
I bought one when they first came out. For some reason, I decided I wanted one in 308, and they didn't have one. So, I bought my second choice........270, and have never for one second regretted it.. It was used for about 25 years, as hard as deer rifle can be. I dropped it climbing up a tree, a hunting partner got into my truck, and threw his gun on top of it, and I accidentally fired a 7X57 round in it. These days it sits in the back of a gun safe, and will probably only be used again if I ever draw a Kentucky elk tag. But, it's one of those guns that I'll never part with.
I’ve had several REM 700 classics, but don’t own them any more. They were very nice guns. While having all 25 would be cool, I guess, I only buy guns to shoot them. Soon as I started shooting these, the value drops. Nothing wrong with collecting, but I prefer shooting.
Originally Posted by sqweeler

That’s my favorite of all the Classics I’ve owned. My 220 Swift and 264 Win Mag would be a close second and third.

Except my 6mm didn’t come with Sights.
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
Thats impressive, I've got 12 of them, but all 25!? I set out years ago to fill the collection, but realized some of the calibers offered just didn't make sense for my use. Always wondered why they never offered the classic in 243 Winchester.

Rich

They did in the unlimited production Classics, but you're right, curiously never in the limited production.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by sqweeler

That’s my favorite of all the Classics I’ve owned. My 220 Swift and 264 Win Mag would be a close second and third.

Except my 6mm didn’t come with Sights.

Chilin,
The unlimited Classics came with sights the first two or three years. Short action unlimited Classics are uncommon. I've never seen a 6mm Rem unlimited.

In 1980 they dropped the 6mm Rem and substituted the 308W for one year only, then went back to the 6mm. A 308W chambered in a unlimited Classic is probably more rare than any of the limited Classics.
I got $32500.00 for one of my sets about 5 or 8 years ago, so this price seems right and considering Remington 700 might out of bussiness, might be a good investment
Originally Posted by gemby58
I got $32500.00 for one of my sets about 5 or 8 years ago

Man, if I owned the entire set it would be freakin' hard to ever let go of them.......
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Man, if I owned the entire set it would be freakin' hard to ever let go of them.......

Still got 2 lleft make me a offer

My first brand new rifle was a unlimited Classic in 270. Bought it on sale for $229.99.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Still got 2 left make me a offer

You dog!

smile

I just got a very good deal on two M700 Mtn rifles (it was a package deal). By the time I've come up with the proper components for both cartridges it has cost me all my Christmas money and then some.

But I do have 5 bricks of small rifle primers, at this juncture they should be worth, say, $32K........ laugh
We had a used but nice one in 8x57 that came through the gun shop when I was working there. It sat on the shelf for YEARS and nobody ever looked twice at it. I don’t even remember what happened to it.

My 270 Classic has a slick barrel.
Owned three nib Classics over the years a Swift, Swede and a Roberts
My first one was a 30-06 from the 80's, sent it down the road for money to buy a the then new 700 KS Mountain Rifle in 7mmMag. Have a .223 no j-lock that has very nice would grain and is consistently accurate. I'd like to find a nice .243.
I have always liked the classics. I have one in 220 swift that i have carried many miles hunting fall gobblers here in PA....would like to get one in either 7x57 of 6.5x55 some day...
Originally Posted by woods_walker
My first one was a 30-06 from the 80's, sent it down the road for money to buy a the then new 700 KS Mountain Rifle in 7mmMag. Have a .223 no j-lock that has very nice would grain and is consistently accurate. I'd like to find a nice .243.

Just recently I passed on a 1978 Classic in 243. In part because I already own two 243's in M700's. The stock did have a divot in it, but otherwise the rifle looked in decent shape.
Posted By: RAS Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/20/20
I have the best one. The 250 Savage.
I have the following: 6mm,250 Savage,270,8mm,338, and 350 mag. Bagged a Maine moose with the 338 a couple of months ago.
I’ve got a 350, rem.
Originally Posted by RAS
I have the best one. The 250 Savage.

Had many people wanted me to split my sets up for the 250
And 308 and 6mm pretty rare
The 308 only had 1479 made in 2005
The 308 only had 1479 made in 2005, never seen a limited 6mm classic so the would be the rarest if you got one
Sharps1874: I have a bunch of Remington 700 Classics and they ALL shoot VERY well!
These include:
17 Remington
221 Remington Fireball
222 Remington (2 of these)
223 Remington
7m/m Remington Magnum
I have also let a few others slip through my fingers including:
22-250 Remington
220 Swift
25/06 Remington..
I am always amazed how well my various 700 Classics have shot?
If I were to have my choice of 2 of those Classics in the auction I would take, without hesitation, another 222 Remington and another 221 Remington Fireball.
Thanks for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sharps1874: I have a bunch of Remington 700 Classics and they ALL shoot VERY well!
These include:
17 Remington
221 Remington Fireball
223 Remington
7m/m Remington Magnum
22-250 Remington
220 Swift
25/06 Remington..
If I were to have my choice of 2 of those Classics in the auction I would take, without hesitation, another 222 Remington and another 221 Remington Fireball.
Thanks for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Note all classic were made in the custom shop thats why they shot so well
Man that is too cool! What a collection!
I have personally had three 6mm Classics. Just lucky I guess. Wish I had them all back. I've had many of the limited ones including two .250 Savages (one with an outstanding piece of wood). In retrospect, I wish I had kept them all as all I have hung on to is the first one I bought (a .270 that I bought with HS graduation money). Like others have said they all seemed to shoot well. I had a very nice stocked .22-250 that would shoot with most heavy barrel .22-.250s I have seen. Strangely enough one of the few I don't really miss was a .223. IMHO, I think the 700 Classics, Mountain Rifles (walnut/BDL style), and the 725s are the best of the best from Remington.
Originally Posted by DBrink
I have personally had three 6mm Classics. Just lucky I guess. Wish I had them all back. I've had many of the limited ones including two .250 Savages (one with an outstanding piece of wood). In retrospect, I wish I had kept them all as all I have hung on to is the first one I bought (a .270 that I bought with HS graduation money). Like others have said they all seemed to shoot well. I had a very nice stocked .22-250 that would shoot with most heavy barrel .22-.250s I have seen. Strangely enough one of the few I don't really miss was a .223. IMHO, I think the 700 Classics, Mountain Rifles (walnut/BDL style), and the 725s are the best of the best from Remington.

Thought you were referring to the limited ones which would make it rarest as it was never made
No sir, original standard offerings. I believe numbers wise the .308 limited was the lowest. They did however make some limited Stainless Classics that may have been even lesser numbers (.257 if memory serves and maybe another one or two chamberings??). No problem and sorry if I gave the impression the 6mm was limited instead of standard runs. In my experience the .22-250s are not common either.
The first run of the 375 hh is the rarest of the first run, not very many made
Posted By: CRS Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/20/20
I only owned one of the classics, chambered in 35 Whelen. Thought it would be a great elk rifle. Shot it a few times even had a load worked up for it.

It was simply the worst recoiling rifle I had shot up to that point. So I sold it. The only rifle that recoiled worse was a CZ hogback in 416 Rigby.
Ahh, I did not know that. Always interesting to learn more on these fine rifles.
I have a unlimited Classic .243 Win. with slick barrel. Bought it here in the classifieds.
Collected pocket watches 15 -20 yrs ago. The neat thing was filling the collection. Had to have one of every Illinois 163 23j pocket watch. One of every style Hamilton 992B.
Not much pride in buying someone else's collection. Just a financial transaction at that point. Finding the rare one in the least expected place, the second best feeling out there.

Charlie
]
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I bought one when they first came out. For some reason, I decided I wanted one in 308, and they didn't have one. So, I bought my second choice........270, and have never for one second regretted it.. It was used for about 25 years, as hard as deer rifle can be. I dropped it climbing up a tree, a hunting partner got into my truck, and threw his gun on top of it, and I accidentally fired a 7X57 round in it. These days it sits in the back of a gun safe, and will probably only be used again if I ever draw a Kentucky elk tag. But, it's one of those guns that I'll never part with.

So, what happened when you shot the 7x57 in the 270???
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
]

It went bang
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
]

It went bang

It did go BANG.......lol. At that time, I was also hunting some with a 7X57, and someway got a round in with my 270's. I was deer hunting, and heading in to my stand that afternoon, I jumped a nice buck, and got a shot at him as he was running through the brush, and missed. I put another shell in and went on to my stand. The stand was in the woods, and just before dark, I got out of the stand and went to look over a large wheat field. Saw a large buck chasing a doe at about 200 yards, and when he stopped, I shot. A huge ball of fire came out of the muzzle, and when I went to eject the fired case, the bolt was stuck. Took rifle home, used a rubber hammer to open bolt, and it was then that I saw what had happened. Didn't hurt anything, as I've fired the rifle many times since...............but I always double check my ammo now, especially as I hunt a lot with the 6.5 CM and a 243, which are similar in size.
Why do some lists of the classics include the 7mm Remington magnum and some don’t? I have a line on a 7mm mag in a classic stock, just not sure if it is really a classic. I own one in .300 Savage and it’s been a great rifle.
As per prior string, the 7mm Remington Mag was a part of the original standard chamberings before they went to the yearly limited run. So it could definitely be a Classic. I have seen BDLs actions put in Classic stocks and the Classics sometimes had sights and sometimes not in the original runs. But, if it doesn't have sights/or provisions for them then it is most likely for sure an original Classic. As mentioned, it could have sights and still be original though.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/20/20
I think there were only two that came with sights, the 350 mag was one and I don't recall the other though.
Gemby58: I did NOT know that - thank you for that insight.
I am writing that down on my Remington two page data on the manufacturing dates of the Classics.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
DBrink & RJL53: Three weeks ago I came across a VERY nice condition Remington 700 Classic in caliber 338 Winchester Magnum at a distant guns shop - and the price was righteous at $569.00!
It HAD both front and rear open sights on it and a pad that said "Remington" on it.
I called everyone I knew that Hunts Bears and Elk but no takers - alas as of two days ago it was gone from the shop selling it (consignment).
By coincidence I have gone on several Elk Hunts over the years with 3 different Hunters who all had eventually killed Elk with their Remington 700 Classics in 35 Whelen - they were all scope sighted and I just can NOT recall if they also had open sights?
If any caliber would come with open sights in the Classic you would think the 35 Whelen would - anyone know for sure?
R.I.P. Big Green!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Found an online site with a picture from 2,008 of a Remington 700 Classic. The Rifle had a scope mounted and no rear open sight but it definitely had a front sight on it - so that is two calibers of the Classic I know of with open sights.
Posted By: Tuco Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/20/20
Originally Posted by RJL53
I think there were only two that came with sights, the 350 mag was one and I don't recall the other though.

My .375 H&H Classic came with sights, though the accompanying literature from Remington said that it didn't. Go figure
Originally Posted by ChanceD
Why do some lists of the classics include the 7mm Remington magnum and some don’t? I have a line on a 7mm mag in a classic stock, just not sure if it is really a classic. I own one in .300 Savage and it’s been a great rifle.

Let me try this again....

There are unlimited Classics made 1978-85 with 6-7 chamberings each year, including 7mm RM. Then there are the limited Classics made 1981-2005 with one chambering per year.
Posted By: GregK Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/21/20
https://gun-data.com/Remingtonclassics2_arms.html

I wanted one in 7x57 but "settled" for one in 300 Savage. Shoots and looks great.
Originally Posted by GregK
https://gun-data.com/Remingtonclassics2_arms.html

I wanted one in 7x57 but "settled" for one in 300 Savage. Shoots and looks great.

There was a NIB .250 Sav forsale here in the classifieds a couple years back for $800 iirc. I snoozed and loozed on that one. Wish I had bought it!🙁
Posted By: RJL53 Re: 25ea. Remington 700 Classics - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
[/quote]
There was a NIB .250 Sav forsale here in the classifieds a couple years back for $800 iirc. I snoozed and loozed on that one. Wish I had bought it!🙁

I actually still have it, still new and still in the box, I'm real not sure I want to sell it right now but if I change my mind I will let you know.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
These include:
17 Remington
221 Remington Fireball
223 Remington
7m/m Remington Magnum
22-250 Remington
220 Swift
25/06 Remington..
Thanks for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Note all classic were made in the custom shop thats why they shot so well

My first dedicated deer rifle was the limited 280, its always shot lights out. Never knew they came from the custom shop. I did have the 7mm-08 with headspace issues it wouldn't chamber some factory rounds a buddy convinced me to send it down the road. In hindsight i wish i would have sent it back or had a shop fix it. But it was replaced with the 308 and lastly picked up the 7x57 a few years back. Just crazy to think the 300 Savage couldn't be given away (in my area).
My 338 and 350 have iron sights
© 24hourcampfire