Home
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967768176

Here's what the last one went for.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/960830466
Don’t get me wrong, they’re nice but not that nice.
Luckily for me, I prefer the feel of Montana's.
Don’t think I’ll ever own one which is fine with me at these prices. LOL
This one in 7/08 has been on Rokslide for several days: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...-1-talley-low-rings.295773/#post-2924697
All about what you like in a rifle. I love them. Just thinking of parts:

20 oz action w/3" mag box = Def anTi, $1645
After market stock = AG comp CAT, $639
Barrel = lilja for example, $420

That's at $2704 before any install, chamber, bedding, trigger, shipping, taxes, etc....and except the action, lower cost parts. I like the smaller action diameter, longer short action oal, extra spacing options for rings, stainless actions. They're a NULA with better materials on the action.

Again, it's all about what you like in a rifle.
I own a fieldcraft 6.5 CM with 24” barrel. I absolutely love it. It is my go to rifle. I think they are worth every penny. I hope to add a few more to my collection in time.
Fieldcraft, how do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Squared off forend, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.
Lack of mounts low enough for proper cheek weld due to high ejection angle, check.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

That's at $2704 before any install, chamber, bedding, trigger, shipping, taxes, etc....and except the action, lower cost parts. I like the smaller action diameter, longer short action oal, extra spacing options for rings, stainless actions. They're a NULA with better materials on the action.

Instead of buying a Defiance and having to deal with a stupid bolt handle and medium/high mounts, just use a Kimber and rebarrel.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.
Lack of mounts low enough for proper cheek weld due to high ejection angle, check.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.

Instead of buying a Defiance and having to deal with a stupid bolt handle and medium/high mounts, just use a Kimber and rebarrel.

I like the stock. The xlow stainless mounts solved all comb height problems. Never had a problem with bolt lift or ejection angle. Love the action.

I use two Montana's. Great little rifles and I like the stock...but I prefer the FC stock. That's just personal preference. No way to get the extra mag box length on the Montana, you can with a FC or anTi.

Again, it's all about what you want in a rifle. The FC is it for me.
No way to get the extra mag box length on the Montana, you can with a FC or anTi.
An 84L action works great for applications when more mag box length is warranted.
No way to get the extra mag box length on the Montana, you can with a FC or anTi.
An 84L action works great for applications when more mag box length is warranted.

True, if you don't mind using a long action.
So one benefit to Kimber actions is they are around a half inch shorter in overall length compared to some other actions of similar mag length. The bolt throw is probably something like 0.3" difference compared to the short action AnTi and going to be pretty close to the XM length, though I don't have precise measurements. And best of all, Kimber parts will be more available for when Defiance goes out of business (though Kimber could sure kick the bucket too, certainly not ruling that out).
I don't have much use for large caliber rifles anymore, but my Fieldcraft in 6.5cm and Montanas in 7mm-08 and 257 Roberts will be around until I I'm done.
donsm
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.

I checked one out for a long time at a local shop. NIB 7-08 for $1200. I tried hard to like it, but it felt like schit in my hands. I'll stick with Montana's for a lightweight.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.

I checked one out for a long time at a local shop. NIB 7-08 for $1200. I tried hard to like it, but it felt like schit in my hands. I'll stick with Montana's for a lightweight.

Same here.
Originally Posted by EdM
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.

I checked one out for a long time at a local shop. NIB 7-08 for $1200. I tried hard to like it, but it felt like schit in my hands.

Same here.

Me too. I prefer my Howa Mini with Pendleton stock.
It’s been very easy for me to like mine, no effort required, and have experienced zero issues with it. Same goes for my two tricked-out Minis.

Guess I’m just “easy”.

Wouldn’t pay $2500 for one though. Wish I’d picked up a couple of Darrik’s close-out models for certain.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
This one in 7/08 has been on Rokslide for several days: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...-1-talley-low-rings.295773/#post-2924697

When the add says the bolt handle is a little wobbly, folks don’t want to spend $2500😂 I’m sure it’s fine and easy fix….
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Don’t think I’ll ever own one which is fine with me at these prices. LOL

Come on now buddy! 😂
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by EdM
Low comb height, check.
Weird grip angle, check.
Hard bolt lift, check.

I checked one out for a long time at a local shop. NIB 7-08 for $1200. I tried hard to like it, but it felt like schit in my hands.

Same here.

Me too. I prefer my Howa Mini with Pendleton stock.
Well you would prefer a Howa over a Barrett
Thanks
I’m really surprised that 708 has lasted as long as it has.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968461367

Threaded Creed
Originally Posted by tkinak
IDK about that one. The seller is hugh.jorgens. grin
I know the chances of major issues with Bolt guns are low, but look at the wobbly bolt one for sale on GB, so is anyone worried about support if there is one? Are they performing any warranty services?

Barret sold the FC IP a while back and now Barret itself had been sold to an Australia Defense Consortium.

Spence
Originally Posted by spence1875
I know the chances of major issues with Bolt guns are low, but look at the wobbly bolt one for sale on GB, so is anyone worried about support if there is one? Are they performing any warranty services?

Barret sold the FC IP a while back and now Barret itself had been sold to an Australia Defense Consortium.

Spence

Regarding the bolt...
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I'd agree they are (were?) the best value for the price.

I had a bolt handle loosen on a 243 and Barrett fixed it when they fixed a cosmetic problem (barrel contour). I read here about another loose bolt handle. But it's a very simple fix for anybody that can run a TIG welder.

As for the rest of it, no, I'm not worried about it. Chit happens and chit can be fixed, albeit maybe not by the manufacturer. In today's firearms environment, there's no such thing as a company that might not be shuttered or sold. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
© 24hourcampfire