Home
Posted By: 4th_point Tract 15x56 - 08/09/21
I'm curious how these will compare to other options in their price range.

https://tractoptics.com/all-products/toric-uhd-15x56-schott-ht-spotting-binoculars
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/09/21
I’ve got one pre-ordered. We’ll see how it performs in a few weeks.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/09/21
Giving them a try myself.

🦫
Posted By: rookieatbest Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/09/21
If I was looking to purchase a pair of binos in that size I wouldn't hesitate one minute to buy these from Tract.....they have top notch products!
rookie
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/09/21
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'm curious how these will compare to other options in their price range.

https://tractoptics.com/all-products/toric-uhd-15x56-schott-ht-spotting-binoculars

They will compare favorably to products 3 times the price. I own 2 Tract scopes and a pair of their 12.5X50 binoculars and they are as good as any on the market. I have Nightforce, S&B, Meopta and Zeis scopes to compare with. I also have Leica ultrasound and the Tracts are excellent.

I ordered a pair of the 15X56 binoculars yesterday as well
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
If they are as good as my 12.5 tract binoculars I would be interested in trying them.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
I'm sorry I missed out on the pre-sale.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm sorry I missed out on the pre-sale.

Is it ovet?
The email I received showed the sale was over Sunday night at midnight. I wonder if one were to call them, if you could still secure the lesser price.
Posted By: g5m Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
What was the presale price? The price I see is $1044.
Posted By: rookieatbest Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
The email I received showed the sale was over Sunday night at midnight. I wonder if one were to call them, if you could still secure the lesser price.

I'd for sure give them a call. They are very friendly and great with customer questions / inquires.
rookie
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by g5m
What was the presale price? The price I see is $1044.

$940 shipped ground UPS

🦫
I spoke with Jon and was given the pre-sale price of $944. I paid full price but will be given a $100 credit back.

I also ordered the tripod adapter for it.

Glad you got the reduced price. They are really good people.
I thought I'd never say this but if S&B were the same price as Tract scopes it's a toss up between which one to buy. With the price difference Tract is a no-brainer
Originally Posted by jwp475

I thought I'd never say this but if S&B were the same price as Tract scopes it's a toss up between which one to buy. With the price difference Tract is a no-brainer

My only question is, how will Tract’s binoculars hold up over time with hunting use ?

Thinking about Swarovski bins, and the documented problems they’ve had, making them seem fragile.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

My only question is how will Tract’s binoculars hold up over time with hunting use ?

Thinking about Swarovski bins, and the documented problems they’ve had, making them seem fragile.

🦫

I've owned my Tract 12.5X50 for 2 or 3 years and use them daily checking g on livestock. They never come out of the truck and are not babies and they haven't missed a beat and I don't expect them to

But if they went tips up you could buy 2 or 3 sets to one Swarovski

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
For those that ordered the 15x56, would you be willing to post your initial impressions, either in this thread or a new one? Seems like more than a few members are going to give them a try.
Yep.

🦫
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

My only question is, how will Tract’s binoculars hold up over time with hunting use ?

🦫

What documented problem with Swarovski Bins???? I have heard one issue from a poster here.
OE, Duck Fu....Swarovski binocular problems.

🦫
For those that ordered the 15x56, would you be willing to post your initial impressions, either in this thread or a new one? Seems like more than a few members are going to give them a try.

Of course.
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
I noticed that the 15x are mentioned on the Tract website to have ED objective lens, but no mention of ED objective for the12.5x and 10x binoculars.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/10/21
I have tried to follow Tract Optics' progression over the years through reading articles and forums such as this; but, I have yet to try any of their high magnification binoculars. I am very interested in hearing the results and experiences of those of you who have have pre-ordered these. I have been a huge Meopta Meostar binocular fan over the years because, in my opinion, I get near "Big Three" performance at a significantly lower price. Tract appears to have moved into that realm, especially with these 15X56. Competition at any price point is great.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/11/21

For sure.

Depending on arrival time, I can take them to a match and a sheep hunt in early Sept.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/11/21
If the 15's are anything like my 12.5's they will be fantastic. I switched from Swaro 15 SLC to Tract 12.5's and they are better to my eyes.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/11/21
No opinion on 15x, but I do have 8x, 10x and 12.5. The 8 and 10s run with my non Swarovision EL and older SLCs. Compared to my Swarovision EL 12x50s, the Tract 12.5 are very clearly a step down. Don’t misunderstand, I enjoy using them weekly but they are not in the same ball bark. For the $, I think all of myTracts are a best buy.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by elkaddict
No opinion on 15x, but I do have 8x, 10x and 12.5. The 8 and 10s run with my non Swarovision EL and older SLCs. Compared to my Swarovision EL 12x50s, the Tract 12.5 are very clearly a step down. Don’t misunderstand, I enjoy using them weekly but they are not in the same ball bark. For the $, I think all of myTracts are a best buy.

I love my Tract 12.5 I'd stack it against any brand in fact I like them better than my ultravid
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/11/21
On an aoudad hunt I compared my buddy's Swarovski 12x to my tract's. The only place I could see where the Swarovski was clearly better was the far edge clarity at the out edge of the objective. Other than that, even in low light I was surprised how the tract binoculars held their own.

I was easily spotting sheep out to 1k yards (verified by his Leica range finder). The were worth 660 bucks.

Looking forward to the reviews of the 15x56.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/15/21
Looking forward to the reports on the 15x56 as well.
Posted By: LFC Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/15/21
Where are they made ?
Posted By: kingston Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/15/21
Tag
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/15/21
Japan
Posted By: LFC Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/15/21
My Tundra is enough Japanese [bleep] for me....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Got an email today that mine has shipped.

That is all.

🦫
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Anxious to hear what you guys think of the 15's. My 8x42's are superb.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21

Mine should arrive Friday
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Hearing nothing but good things about the Tract Binos and riflescopes.

Do these 15 x 56s require a tripod, or can they be used hand held ?
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Hearing nothing but good things about the Tract Binos and riflescopes.

Do these 15 x 56s require a tripod, or can they be used hand held ?

Most say a tri pod, but I've used the Swarovski 15 for years hand held. Worked fine for me
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Even though they can be handheld, I think they will be much more comfortable on a tripod.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Very interested for feedback on these.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
I had a pair of Pentax 8x56s that were quite impressive in low light situations.

Heavy enough that a tripod was more useful for overcoming fatigue than the shakes at 8x

Not phase corrected, so they weren’t optically competitive, but No complaints mechanically.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/18/21
Why is their twilight factor 1/2 that of a 15x56 Swarovski?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

What makes you think that?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/19/21

Reading spec sheets from both binos. Are you a tract salesperson? 16.2 vs 29.9 you can google it . Hopefully it is a misprint because that is a good amount of difference.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/19/21

Reading spec sheets from both binos. Are you a tract salesperson? 16.2 vs 29.9 you can google it . Hopefully it is a misprint because that is a good amount of difference.

Hell No I'm not a sales person

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/myths2006-9.html

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then why such a big difference?

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then it is a big factor, especially when people buy these binos to spot game in LOW LIGHT.

If you know what it is and how it's calculated then why the these 2 stupid posts?

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then it is a big factor, especially when people buy these binos to spot game in LOW LIGHT.

If you know what it is and how it's calculated then why the these 2 stupid posts?

Are they not the same power range 15x56? Then using the calculation you provided that you googled they should be identical and they are not. Hint, one has way better coatings and well it should since it is double the price. The true test would be to tripod mount both binos in a lowlight setting where game can be spotted and lets see how much detail each provides.

Are they not the same power range 15x56? Then using the calculation you provided that you googled they should be identical and they are not. Hint, one has way better coatings and well it should since it is double the price. The true test would be to tripod mount both binos in a lowlight setting where game can be spotted and lets see how much detail each provides.

Dumb szz they are identical since they are the same size and power. Twilight factor is nothing more than a calculation
You claimed to know all of this. You're ab idiot

How easily you resort to name calling when you lose an argument.

Let me make it easy for you.

Tract 15x56 specs

Swarovski 15x56 specs

SO I guess both these companies don't know how to calculate twilight factor eh?

Putting you on ignore since you can't read a simple spec sheet. DOn't bother responding.

How easily you resort to name calling when you lose an argument.

Let me make it easy for you.

Tract 15x56 specs

Swarovski 15x56 specs
I
SO I guess both these companies don't know how to calculate twilight factor eh?

Putting you on ignore since you can't read a simple spec sheet.

You dumb azz I haven't lost anything, you didn't read the information that I posted and you keep posting stupid crap

I don't give a rats azx about what is on those sights. They can't calculate different and you would know that if you knew how it is calculated like you claimed

The formula is in the information that I posted above. If you can do the math do it

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/19/21

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then why such a big difference?

Common sense should tell you there can't possibly be that much disparity between the two. The Tract's Schott UHD glass is exceptionally good and wouldn't allow that. If you put a Swaro SLC HD and a Toric 8x42 side by side on a tripod you'll see very small differences.....picking nits so to speak, and you'll have to look long and hard to pick 'em out. I'd bet $$$ the same is true for the 15's.
28.9827 is the calculated twilight factor of a 15X56 binocular.
This calculation does not tell you of glass quality or lens coatings ability in low light. It is nothing but a calculation.
Posted By: mwarren Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/19/21
If 29.827 is the calculated twilight factor of. 15x56 bio, and nothing but a calculation, then why aren't the twilight factors the same for the binos mentioned above?

Swarovski references the twilight factor according to ISO 14132-1. Does that ISO take into account optical coatings?

I realize we are comparing apples and oranges with respect to price of these two mentioned binos, but it also looks to me like we are also comparing apples to oranges on some vino performance too.
Originally Posted by mwarren
If 29.827 is the calculated twilight factor of. 15x56 bio, and nothing but a calculation, then why aren't the twilight factors the same for the binos mentioned above?

Swarovski references the twilight factor according to ISO 14132-1. Does that ISO take into account optical coatings?

I realize we are comparing apples and oranges with respect to price of these two mentioned binos, but it also looks to me like we are also comparing apples to oranges on some vino performance too.

Read this and it will answer your question

chrome-distiller://278a5b38-004c-4b03-81aa-893279349b92_808b216e6394e8df12b70a121a28b3f2722f5e15fdd79528a15fcec46c5b102b/?title=Optics+Myth+9+-+%22Twilight+factor%22+is+key+to+performance+in+dim+light&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.birdwatching.com%2Foptics%2Fmyths2006-9.html

Short answer is that twilight factor is calculated and is the same for any binocular that has the same objective diameter and powet.
Doesn't tell you anything about quality of glass or coatings
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21

UPS delivered mine @ 9:27 PM
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21
How's the after-dark performance.........?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
How's the after-dark performance.........?

Looked very good. Give me a week or so and I'll know more.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon also. I'll spend some time with them and offer a report.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Common sense should tell you there can't possibly be that much disparity between the two. The Tract's Schott UHD glass is exceptionally good and wouldn't allow that. If you put a Swaro SLC HD and a Toric 8x42 side by side on a tripod you'll see very small differences.....picking nits so to speak, and you'll have to look long and hard to pick 'em out. I'd bet $$$ the same is true for the 15's.

Since I put up the link Tract has changed the Twilight Factor to 27+, so it was a misprint like I said earlier could have been the case.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/21/21
No shipping notice for me, yet.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/22/21
Are they shipping to Canada Jordan ?

That would be a bonus
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Are they shipping to Canada Jordan ?

That would be a bonus

Yep. But if you order a riflescope you've got to deal with some paperwork.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/23/21
Got a shipping notice today. Hopefully it arrives before the 4th!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/23/21
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Got a shipping notice today. Hopefully it arrives before the 4th!

I hope so too, the last time I sent a package to Canada the package ended up in London and got lost coming back across the pond. That's when I decided that I will NEVER pay for insurance again because the USPS made it very clear after several months that there is zero chance of collecting a dime.

I hope your experience goes much,much better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to read your review, my son has the 10x42's and we both think they are awesome, I have a couple rifle scopes from Tract and they are awesome as well
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 08/24/21
Thanks, boatanchor.

I’ve had better luck with the USPS than UPS or FedEx, to tell you the truth, so I’m hopeful.

In addition to using them at a match and on a sheep hunt, I’ll also try and compare them to my Geovid HD-R 2200.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/02/21
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks, boatanchor.

I’ve had better luck with the USPS than UPS or FedEx, to tell you the truth, so I’m hopeful.

In addition to using them at a match and on a sheep hunt, I’ll also try and compare them to my Geovid HD-R 2200.

Well, it looks like the Toric 15x won't arrive in time for the match or the sheep hunt. Too bad.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/05/21
I got to spend a fair bit of time behind a set of these on Saturday. Spotting targets and shots at a rifle competition. Very impressive performance at any price, but especially given the Tract MSRP.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I got to spend a fair bit of time behind a set of these on Saturday. Spotting targets and shots at a rifle competition. Very impressive performance at any price, but especially given the Tract MSRP.

Haha, well Canada Post got the Toric here early, and Mr. Wrongside and I both spent some time looking through it at the match on Saturday. I’ll post a more in-depth review after spending more time with it, but so far the resolution, edge-to-edge clarity, colour, and contrast are all extremely impressive. I haven’t had a chance to test its low-light performance yet. Optically, the Toric 15x is excellent, so far. Eye relief and positioning are slightly finicky and the diopter adjustment isn’t perfectly positive, but I’d still give the user-friendliness and build quality a 9 out of 10. But again, this is very preliminary.

This week’s sheep hunt plans changed a bit and I’ll be taking the Geovid 10x instead, but I’ll take the Toric sheep, and likely elk, hunting over the next several weeks to give it a good workout. Will report back later.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/06/21
I wondered how he got aholt of them before you did....
Posted By: Enrique Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/11/21
Schott glass and Japanese, these perk my interest into possibly checking into them. I was a big fan of fujinon, really like the Vortex Razor UHD, both are product of Japan. They can easily rival the big 3 euro brands.
Be curious to see what everyone thinks when they hit your guys' door.
Im always looking to test new glass lol

Kique
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/11/21
Originally Posted by Enrique
Schott glass and Japanese, these perk my interest into possibly checking into them. I was a big fan of fujinon, really like the Vortex Razor UHD, both are product of Japan. They can easily rival the big 3 euro brands.
Be curious to see what everyone thinks when they hit your guys' door.
Im always looking to test new glass lol

Kique

I love mine. Excellent clarity and resolution as well as exceptional low light ability
Posted By: Enrique Re: Tract 15x56 - 09/13/21
Thanks buddy!
I'll have to see if i can hunt some down.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Tract 15x56 - 11/23/21
Any updates on these from the guys running them this season?
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Tract 15x56 - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Any updates on these from the guys running them this season?

Here's a review
© 24hourcampfire