Home
Posted By: Bugger 1x scopes - 10/09/18
South Dakota has a rule that rifle scopes, when used on a muzzle-loader, have zero magnification.

My 54 caliber that I've used for years has open sights (I threw away the buckhorn sights and now have a reasonable rear sight.)

However, it has been a bugger (so to speak) to get deer licenses in South Dakota. Evidently the Game Fish and Parks would prefer that the deer get killed by vehicles, I don't know.

I bought an Remington Ultimate 50 cal Muzzle Loader for elk hunting in New Mexico and have it scoped. Been thinking that this ML might be the ticket - another way to get a tag and have enough rifle to shoot deer at ~~~ 200 yards.

What type of "scope" would you guys recommend? Red Dot? Something else? Thanks.
Posted By: erich Re: 1x scopes - 10/12/18
I have a couple of older Weaver K-1.5's on my drilling and 375 Sav 99 that are quite nice. Weaver made a straight 1x as the K-1 that should work for you.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 1x scopes - 10/18/18
Thanks for your response erich. I think I'll ask "gunwriters" maybe MD ran some tests on these scopes. I have not seen a 1x Weaver for sale, BTW.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 1x scopes - 10/18/18
I'd put a red dot on it
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: 1x scopes - 10/18/18
We have the Meopta MeoSight II on sale for 50% off, $199.99 reduced from $399.99. It's worth a look. Great quality all around
Posted By: trplem Re: 1x scopes - 10/18/18
We used to have the same rule in WI. IIRC Dad used a 1x Nikon on his. As far as the weaver 1x, I've one on a 30-30 that works ok. I'd not really seek one out, though.
Posted By: badwolf Re: 1x scopes - 10/19/18
Vortex made a 1x muzzleloader scope, 6 oz. It's discontinued but you can find them
Posted By: bugs4 Re: 1x scopes - 10/19/18
PM sent
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: 1x scopes - 10/20/18
I just bought one of these...I found them very nice for the price. It may just fit the bill for you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Model-666M-Rifle-Scope-1x20-Rifle-Muzzleloader-Shotgun/222651965093?epid=1335738078&hash=item33d7175ea5:g:tCIAAOSwgiRZwwyR:rk:1:pf:0
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: 1x scopes - 10/22/18
Primary Arms has a 1X prism scope:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/primary-arms-1x-compact-prism-scope-with-acss-cyclops-reticle.html

The added benefits of the prism scope over a red dot for this application is that it has an etched reticle if the illumination dies and it has an adjustable diopter (?) for those with astigmatism.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: 1x scopes - 10/22/18
I sure like my red dot on a .22 rifle for grouse. With a one power limit, it would be hard to beat for deer. Get a tube style rather than the open glass TV screen version that is exposed to rain and has bad glare/reflection at some sun angles.
Posted By: harrierwood Re: 1x scopes - 10/22/18
I used the nikon 1x scope for a few years it seemed to work well.
© 24hourcampfire