Home
I haven't bought a new scope in 20yrs. But after months of reading and getting advice from anyone who would talk to me I have narrowed it down to the March 3 - 24 x 52mm and NightForce 5-25×56 F1. I would like anyone's opinion on the scopes to help me pull the trigger and get this search over. I will be using the this for hunting and just sign up for long range shoot classes. Thank you
Nightforce by a mile...…………..RUGGED RELIABLE REPEATABLE!!!!
Welcome to the 'fire
It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you, 516-217-1000.
Doug
Doug @ Camera Land is a good guy to work with. Prompt, thorough, professional service. Excellent prices too.
Originally Posted by CWT
Doug @ Camera Land is a good guy to work with. Prompt, thorough, professional service. Excellent prices too.

Agreed! Didn’t know they were carrying March as well. Cool.
We do not carry March
Originally Posted by Scott2448
I haven't bought a new scope in 20yrs. But after months of reading and getting advice from anyone who would talk to me I have narrowed it down to the March 3 - 24 x 52mm and NightForce 5-25×56 F1. I would like anyone's opinion on the scopes to help me pull the trigger and get this search over. I will be using the this for hunting and just sign up for long range shoot classes. Thank you

That's a lot of Xs and a big O, mind if I ask what you'll be using the scope for?
Just a Millennial
I own both and the NF is the winner by a fair bit IMO.
The problem for me is IMO march has too large of an erector ratio. on paper this looks cool, but in practice I prefer a scope that can quickly go from low to high power without that much change in the zoom. a 3, 4,5 or at most 6 erector ratio is plenty, beyond that and it would annoy me. if you need that much erector ratio you should be shooting a different gun with a specific optic for that gun. they are trying to make the power ranges on these do too many things.
How good is your eyesight ? And do you know how to compare fine optics.

Next, is you would need both optics on hand and are able to compare them in all conditions.
Originally Posted by Scott2448

If you wanted a benchrest only scope I would choose a March, you stated the scope you are wanting is more on the hunting side and I would lean toward the Nightforce.
For the OP, if this is a hunting scope, are you sure you need the 25x magnification and big objective?
For me, absolutely.
NF
Originally Posted by Ringman
For me, absolutely.

That may be. But for most people, absolutely not.
Originally Posted by smokepole
For me, absolutely.

Most people you associate with. The opposite is true with the people I associate with.
For me, the March is much lighter and optically superior. Is it as robust? I don't know the answer to that. My hunting partner has 4 rifles with March scope and one with an NXS. The March was so much better that any comparison was a joke. Of these 4 rifles, we have never had a single issue with the March scopes. They seem to track just fine, they are stunningly clear and compact compared to most "tactical scopes".

We do a lot of long range shooting and any 'misses' were clearly attributed to bad wind doping and not to elevation. The second shot was always true.

I never saw the 10x zoom ratio to be a problem, in fact, I would love to have a 1-10X March scope!
For me, absolutely.

Most people you associate with. The opposite is true with the people I associate with.

No, most people, period.
Comes down to weight, footprint, and reticle IMO. I've owned the NF and have the March but with 42mm obj.

Do I have more confidence in the NF, yes. That's part to having more experience with their scopes. I do like the feel of NF's turrets better, but I have no knocks on the March. The package/footprint of the scope is amazing. Really surprised they aren't more popular.
I like the clicks and the optics on the March over the NSX.
Like the rear eye piece on the March over the NSX.
Like the lighter weight of the March over the NSX.
I do have more rounds under the NSX than the March.But not by much.
They have both held up very well with no issues for my 1000 yard BR work.
The NSX is just a tank that wont die...
That being said.
if I were looking to put a bullet hole in a animal at really stupid distances.
I'd run a 5-25x56 S&B PMII.
It has better optics and a more usuable reticle than the two above.
dave
For me, absolutely.

No, most people, period.

You win.
Do a poll. Ask how many people need a 25X scope with a 50 mm objective for their hunting rifle.
Do a poll. Ask how many people need a 25X scope with a 50 mm objective for their hunting rifle.

What the hell does need have to do with it? Nothing at all , it boils down to what you want. I like big objectives and power in my scopes and I’ve used most all sizes at one time or another. More light in is never a negative at first and last light when hunting.
I don't care what you or ringman choose to use on your hunting rifles. My question was to the OP, not ringman but he interjected. The OP is about to plunk down a lot of money and I just wanted to give him something to think about. If he wants to tell me to go pound sand, that's his prerogative, not ringman's. Or yours.

More light in the form of a scope that's bigger and heavier than you need can be a negative, depending on how and where you hunt.
Just a little input. I received a call from a gentleman the other day interested in a March scope. I reached out to March to see about becoming a dealer. I then did my due diligence to see about warranty and company policies:

Warranty
All March Scopes and illumination modules purchased from March Optics USA, Inc., or its agents are warranted for 5 years from the original date of purchase. All March accessories are warranted for 1 year.
To take advantage of this warranty the scope must be returned to our USA Service Center for evaluation and resolution. This warranty does not apply to damage or defects due directly or indirectly from misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, repairs or alterations.
10 Year Service Guarantee
After the initial 5 year period, March scope owners may send in their scopes to our USA Service Center for an additional 5 year period for basic servicing and evaluation. We will bring all the settings back to the original factory settings and provide a written report of the health of your scope. If any repairs are required, we will inform you the cost of same. Shipping costs both ways is the responsibility of the customer.

I then looked around on the site for intel on their products as well as us buying from them and came across this statement from the scope the gentleman was asking about:
We do not accept returns on this item. However, it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and in certain circumstances may be returned to the manufacturer. Please contact [email protected] with questions prior to placing your order.

I'm not sure why they would state: We do not accept returns on this item unless there's something about it that they've had issues with

I have no experience with March or their products, however, I was not excited about some of these things that could present an issue. With this said I am in discussions with them to be a dealer as we do get calls for their scopes, however, I am a bit uneasy and not sure if we will indeed offer their products. I need to do more research and possibly shelve this till SHOT Show when I can physically check their scopes out.

At this time if I were choosing between NF and March I think I would go with NF due to their reputation and their attitude of assistance. Just my $.02
I don't care what you or ringman choose to use on your hunting rifles. My question was to the OP, not ringman but he interjected. The OP is about to plunk down a lot of money and I just wanted to give him something to think about. If he wants to tell me to go pound sand, that's his prerogative, not ringman's. Or yours.

More light in the form of a scope that's bigger and heavier than you need can be a negative, depending on how and where you hunt.

You hit the nail on the head with "More light in the form of a scope that's bigger and heavier than you need can be a negative..." is perfect. But there are
some who need bigger. Maybe even the original poster.
I own both a NF NXS 5-20x50 and a March 3-24x42

Based on weight and verified testing and field use...My long term faith would be with owning a NF. Optical clarity between these two scopes based on my eyes and experience with tier one scopes. The March has better glass for detailed viewing. If you stepped up to a NF Atacr offering I believe the glass quality would be same-same or possibly better with the Atacr. “This is a guess” since I’ve never owned an Atacr.

Comparing both my owned scopes, which I purchased new. The March has extremely sensitive parallax adjustments at the higher power range than the NF NXS. Turrets on my March are slightly soft when dialing, not giving me the same firmer confirmation of turret adjustments I get on the NIghtForce.

The March 3-24x42 is a lighter scope packed with a lot of features that rides on top of a lightweight build in 300 RUM. Time will tell how the March will hold up to hard hunting and round counts of the 300 UltraMag.

With that said, I’am considering selling the March and going with another NXS. The added weight of a NF, especially on a light, heavy recoiling rifle, is a benefit in shootability on steel and paper.

Lastly, to Smokes point on the power needs of x25 for big game hunting...With my eyes, wearing contacts while hunting, I find a max x18 power to be more than enough to count hairs on the balls of a bull...😎
I like the option of having high power available to me...

You hit the nail on the head with "More light in the form of a scope that's bigger and heavier than you need can be a negative..." is perfect. But there are
some who need bigger. Maybe even the original poster.

Ringman, absolutely. I don't know the OP, that's why it was a question and not advice.
I will be using the gun for hunting. My normal shot is taken well inside of 300 yds. unless I'm shooting coyotes then I'll go out a bit further. But the reason I'm going with this new rifle is as I'm getting older my eyes are too. I have a nice 3x9 that is always turned up on power to help me see down range even at 100yrds and in low light forget about it. The rifle is just under 10lbs and based on the what the guys that I'm going to take long range shooting classes with tell me a heavier rig would help me. I'm not too worried about the weight for hunting as I drive to my stand, park it and climb up and put the rifle on a bench. I do go for a light pack when bow hunting but that's another conversation. I do understand the scopes I'm looking at could be a bit of over kill for hunting but I'm pumped at the idea of learning how to be proficient at long range shooting.
T
You’re sort of comparing apples and oranges. An ATACR is a much more massive scope.

Which exact models are you considering?

C545, C579, MAR1049??

Reticles?

MIL or MOA

Originally Posted by kingston
You’re sort of comparing apples and oranges.

Which exact models are you considering?

March 3 - 24 x 52mm and NightForce 5-25×56 F1
See above.
See above.

http://nightforceoptics.com/atacr/5-25%C3%9756-f1

http://marchoptics.com/shop/brand_march-optics/firstfocalplane/3-24x52mm-scope
Reticle selection is a variable. The 1/10th Mil floating dot in the illuminated March (MAR1049) is way too big. The MAR1050 with an 1/8 MOA floating center dot is much better, but it’s MOA and non-illuminated.

In NF I like the illuminated C579 F1 Mil-C reticle with its 0.05Mil floating center dot. Relatively speaking, March’s MOA FMA-1 Reticle has a smaller floating center dot which is more useful on small targets/aiming points at greater distances, but it’s not illuminated. 1/8MOA works out to roughly 0.036Mil.

If you shoot MOA and don’t want an illuminated reticle, then get the March. The optics are superior, March’s MOA reticle is a winner, and the whole thing comes in a more svelte package.

The March is in a class unto itself. The 5-25x56 ATACR is in a class with lots of competition and it’s not my top choice in that class.
It would be helpful to consider the following.

-Does a scope that that weighs in the mid thirties (ounces) suit your needs? If you’re in that class you’ve got lots of choices. If you need lighter and less bulky, that’s a different category altogether.

-Mil or MOA, pick one?

-What do you like in a reticle?

-Illumination, yes or no?

-What chambering are you shooting and on which platform (rifle build details)?

You don’t need a high powered scope to shoot large/medium game at 300 yards. The best quality optics with less top end magnification would serve you well for hunting to 300yrds in any conditions.

A ten pound rifle is a lot of trouble for 300 yard hunting.

Scott, thanks for the reply and good luck! Long range shooting is a lot of fun. The reason I asked the question was I didn't want you to make the same mistake I did when I got started with LR shooting. Like you, I had an experienced shooter advise me on rifle/scope/mounts.

He spec-d out a heavy-barreled, heavy stocked rifle with a big old scope and a mounting system you could've run over with a tank. That rifle was a lot of fun to shoot at the range and really accurate but after I'd learned the ropes it got relegated to the safe during hunting season. I've since re-barreled, re-stocked, and re-scoped it. Sounds like that won't be a problem for you, so have fun and good shooting.
Don’t get me wrong, I have high powered alpha glass on long range hunting rifles, but there’s a price to using this equipment and I’m not talking $.
500 yds and under a NF 2x10x42 with a mil R reticle would work great!
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I think you can get a little further with good 10X as a general rule.....
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I think you can get a little further with good 10X as a general rule.....

I agree!
In good conditions, you can shoot a bull at 900 yards with a 3-9X scope. The additional Xs are nice when threading a shot through a tight area, confirming the area behind is clear for the pass-through, range work at long range or just looking at a bullet strike to better place the second round. There are legit uses for the extra magnification. My buddy has one March scope that is a 5-50X. We don't seem to ever use it at 50 but I have shot stuff at 1000 yards when it was turned to 35 or so. Nice to see the bullet marks at long range without switching back to the spotter.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
In good conditions, you can shoot a bull at 900 yards with a 3-9X scope. The additional Xs are nice when threading a shot through a tight area, confirming the area behind is clear for the pass-through, range work at long range or just looking at a bullet strike to better place the second round. There are legit uses for the extra magnification. My buddy has one March scope that is a 5-50X. We don't seem to ever use it at 50 but I have shot stuff at 1000 yards when it was turned to 35 or so. Nice to see the bullet marks at long range without switching back to the spotter.

Good description of scope power, 12-14x is plenty for a long range hunting scope, I think more people should be using lowered powered scopes than what is popular now days

Good description of scope power, 12-40x is plenty for a long range hunting scope, I think more people should be using higher powered scopes like what is becoming popular now days
I love my March 8 X 80
I do not shoot above 35 to 40 due to the fact that my hart beat and breathing get in the way of the reticle

The 80 power makes for a GREAT Spotting Scope

Good description of scope power, 12-40x is plenty for a long range hunting scope, I think more people should be using higher powered scopes like what is becoming popular now days

ok roger that we disagree, I don't plan on selling my 3x9's. 2.5-10's 3-12's and 3.5-15's, last time out with a 3.5-15 scope I shot a 2and3/8" group at 800 yards and 5.5" at 1000, you are smarter and better than me so rock on. any higher power is for load development.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
ok roger that we disagree, you are smarter and better than me so rock on. an

We also disagree I'm better and smarter than you, so rock on.
+1 on calling Doug at Cameraland and walking through some options. It was on my behalf that he reached out to March and then shared some of his thoughts on the wide mag range on the March scopes.

Not having any firsthand experience (yet) with either scope you mentioned, I have to defer, but I can say Doug went the extra mile to get me info so I could make an informed decision.

That said, I’m looking at the Tangent Theta 3-15x50 (30mm tube) because it seems to be a candidate for best scope in the world. Likely way more scope than I need, but it’s my money and I’d like to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. If their lineup didn’t include the TT315M, I’d look at the 42mm NF ATACR. Trying to stay at or below 30oz.

Best of luck with your decision.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
+1 on calling Doug at Cameraland and walking through some options. It was on my behalf that he reached out to March and then shared some of his thoughts on the wide mag range on the March scopes.

Not having any firsthand experience (yet) with either scope you mentioned, I have to defer, but I can say Doug went the extra mile to get me info so I could make an informed decision.

That said, I’m looking at the Tangent Theta 3-15x50 (30mm tube) because it seems to be a candidate for best scope in the world. Likely way more scope than I need, but it’s my money and I’d like to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. If their lineup didn’t include the TT315M, I’d look at the 42mm NF ATACR. Trying to stay at or below 30oz.

My pleasure to assist. If I can assist you with the Tangent that would be my pleasure as well
Thanks, Doug. I’ll be in touch.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

The TT315M will shave a few ounces. I’ve been down that road.

[Linked Image]

The TT315M will shave a few ounces. I’ve been down that road.

[Linked Image]

Great-looking rig. Very similar to what I have in mind. Chambered in?
28N
© 24hourcampfire