Home
my Zeiss v4 review

Too early for popcorn 🍿 Bloody Marry coming right up....I own a few of these scopes. Hoping for good news...Free pouring vodka now🙄😎
ahhh I don't think it should piss anyone off, The reviews will get better as time goes. The first one I didn't explain enough, didn't have video on the inside of the scope view etc. the only thing that I am not happy with is the angle of the tracking video. for some reason my the app corrects the view. then its uncorrected again in my phone. my phone corrects for it again with an adjustment I make. but for some reason it moves it back again when I edit the clips. oh well, I have it fixed mostly for the 3-9x42 ss review video I have cued up next for your viewing pleasure next.
I really like the V4 scopes.
Zeiss hired some NF people before these scopes were introduced FWIW.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Really? Good to hear. Details if you got any OE....😎
Thanks for the review. Seems like a great product and I will probably try one.
Nice job on the review.

I have one mounted on a .264 NULA.

Practiced with it on rocks out to 700yds on and off all summer. When I got to Wyoming for my Antelope hunt checked zero. Dead nuts on at 200.

At 327 yards hit the Antelope exactlly where I aimed.

Great glass and reticle.

Lefty
Mine has been flawless. Haven’t used it on game beyond 200 but at the range it has tracked reliably. At 16x the eye box gets a little small but that’s to be expected
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Really? Good to hear. Details if you got any OE....😎

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/nightforce-shv-vs-zeiss-v4.3955342/

Read thru this thread it mentions his name
I have a zeiss v4 and this scope is better optically than my swarovski older av or nightforce shv. It has tracked true and returned to zero perfectly so far. I have ran it out to 750 in perfect conditions and made kills at 520 and 540 in the field with a 15 mph cross wind on the 520. windage hash worked perfect so far I am very impressed.
One thing I did not mention in my comments is I like the v4 line better than the more expensive v6 line. The v6 scopes have more tunneling. Great info on that other forum post. Thanks for posting
What’s the going rate for a v4?
Originally Posted by Calvin
What’s the going rate for a v4?

Looks to be around a grand. Might have to give one of these a try on my T3X creed.
The only thing that is holding me up is that it's SFP. Now, I actually prefer SFP over FFP, but when I'm holding for windage I want the reticle to be accurate at all powers. Most of the time I am either at 4x walking through timber or at 16x shooting farther but there are times I'm somewhere in between. If the windage turret had numbers on it that showed which direction I was dialing and how many MOA I'd order one today. I've held and looked through this scope quite a bit and really like it though.
Where are they made?
Got Mine for $740 about 1 1/2 yeas ago.

Lefty
In a hunting situation I never dial for windage.....hold

Lefty
I did not like the V6 at all. Tunneling & black do nut. Pissy sensitive eye relief.

Lety
Guess everyone looks through a scope different. I've got all 3 models of the V6's without any problems. If there is a problem it may be do to the way your rifle stock fits you and proper cheek weld. You may need a different mount system. Both the V4 line and the V6 line have the same eye relief of 3.5".
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Where are they made?

V4 Japan

V6 Fatherland

I should have bought the V4 4-16x44 instead of the SHV 3-10x42 . That won't happen again
Mine is flawless too, I took a tumble on a steep rocky slope and put a gouge in the tube, never lost zero. Shot my Coues Deer this year at 530 yards and worked perfect.
Where are they made?

V4 Japan

V6 Fatherland

I should have bought the V4 4-16x44 instead of the SHV 3-10x42 . That won't happen again

Issues with the SHV?
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Where are they made?

V4 Japan

V6 Fatherland

Issues with the SHV?

Overpriced for one plus a short mounting tube, Reticle choices pretty much suck but they do across the entire NF line at least for my needs .
Where are they made?

V6 line and above are made in Germany....V4 line Japan 😎

Oops..OE covered this already...Agreed, The V4 and V6 scope are very nice...Been using several for over 1.5 years. I will own more.
How does the V4 and 6 compare glass wise to the swaros, say Z3 or 5?
Originally Posted by gunchamp

V4 compares with the Z3 , have never looked thru a V6 . The Z5 is a step up from the Z3 . I bought one 2 weeks ago 2.4-12x50 and I like it a lot .
remember its not the glass so much its the mechanicals on a scope like this. They tested rock solid, equal to what I have seen with nightforce in the past. for a hunting scope this is actually a better setup than nightforce in a couple ways. Its a lighter scope, you have capped windage, the NXS has the eye piece and the entire things rotates which I have never liked and now they are also offering a new reticle the zmoa t30, I really need to see one in person but it looks like the nightforce MOAR pretty much except the illuminated part in the center looks smaller which is a downside if you ask me. it looks overly complicated too. The other thing is the tactical crowd will not buy this scope either regardless of the new reticle. I love it when we get long range hunting specific optics. but the reality is I don't think they sell that many.
Had anyone played with both the ZBR-2 and ZMOA-2 reticles? If so I am just curious as to which reticle you prefer? The ZBR looks a lot like the Swarovski BRH reticle to me.
Great timing this morning I just picked up my first V4 in 4-16x44 ZMOA2
I have a V4 3x12x56 with lit reticle. I’m in love, even in daylight I light the reticle, my 62 year old eyes are in paradise. Used it the first time in November on a mule deer hunt in Wyoming in early afternoon, perfect. Used it last week after sunset in SC, loved it. Mine was a Shot Show sample at $795
Originally Posted by RICKMELEAR
I have a V4 3x12x56 with lit reticle. I’m in love, even in daylight I light the reticle, my 62 year old eyes are in paradise. Used it the first time in November on a mule deer hunt in Wyoming in early afternoon, perfect. Used it last week after sunset in SC, loved it. Mine was a Shot Show sample at $795

Thats one hell of a deal👍🏻
Zeiss V4 - cheap
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Anybody have the 3-12? Curious how it is with no parallax adjustment.

V4 compares with the Z3 , have never looked thru a V6 . The Z5 is a step up from the Z3 . I bought one 2 weeks ago 2.4-12x50 and I like it a lot .

Thank you very much for the answer. Probably just get another Z5

Just ordered one to check it out!
Originally Posted by old_willys

Would jump on that deal asap, but dont care for the reticle. Looks too fine for low light hunting

Would jump on that deal asap, but dont care for the reticle. Looks too fine for low light hunting

That's a crazy good deal, that reticle looks great in person. That is the next scope I am buying.

That's a crazy good deal, that reticle looks great in person. That is the next scope I am buying.

Does seem like a good deal.
Just ordered one to see what all the "fuss is about"

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be another "Tract Toric" for me........only one way to find out.

Hope they ship quickly, I've got a lot to compare this to.......
No elevation turret on that one at that price, correct?
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
No elevation turret on that one at that price, correct?

Correct, but a very useful hold over ret spaced at 1 MOA per mark.....which using a strelok pro ballistic app is very useful for any cartridge and holdovers at any reasonable distance. Its going on a hornet, so no biggie for me....assuming I keep it after comparing glass.
They already have a USPS shipping label created for my order..... I'm impressed.
I'm going to try one as well, it says it has a zero stop so hopefully it has moa markings I can utilize for dialing.
Originally Posted by Muskrat2090
I'm going to try one as well, it says it has a zero stop so hopefully it has moa markings I can utilize for dialing.

I read that as well in the description, I think it may have been an inaccuracy. We shall find out. I hope it does as well, a Lo Pro Turret for dialing/zero stop would be sweet. However, I don't think we are gonna see that. From what I've read, the model we ordered doesn't have "numbered Turrets" or a Zero Stop, despite the description on Classic Firearms website.
Just ordered a 4-16 V4 demo from Redhawks. Hoping this scope goes well on my T3X creed.
Originally Posted by Motown
Just ordered a 4-16 V4 demo from Redhawks. Hoping this scope goes well on my T3X creed.

that is where I got mine, no sales tax either which was awesome!!!
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Motown

that is where I got mine, no sales tax either which was awesome!!!

Well thanks for the review cummins cause that is what pushed me over the top.
Need to scope a Mesa 6.5cm.

The v4 over another SHV? Only SHV I’ve used is the f1 on my 6.5cm.
I recommend the V4. It’s a very good scope for the $.
I noted earlier I picked up a V4 4-16x44 ZMOA-2 it is now mounted on my Fieldcraft 270, have not had the chance to hunt with it BUT this scope seems so much brighter than my Swarovski Z3's that I ordered a second V4 this one in 3-12x44 this time with the ZBR-1
Classic Firearms is a very ligit business. Good deal on the Zeiss I posted.
Thanks that is were I grabbed mine 3-12x44.
Dont want to hijack but can anyone here tell me if that zbr1 reticle on the zeiss from classic firearms is good in low light? Such a good deal but seems like it would be tough to see. Only thing holding me back. Thanks
It’s a good reticle, not the best low light option, but not the worst either. I’d give it a go for that price. You won’t be sorry you did.
Anyone try the 3-12 yet? Does it actually have a zero stop and a useable turret? Thanks
Originally Posted by Beaudry
Anyone try the 3-12 yet? Does it actually have a zero stop and a useable turret? Thanks

Those only come with capped turrets which I am disappointed with
Thanks that is were I grabbed mine 3-12x44.

Received my V4 from Classic Firearms, ordered it Dec 21 using the link supplied by Sakohunter264 and had it in my hands by the 28th! Very quick service and shipping during Christmas shipping.

Scope looks great!
I’m sure impressed with my Zeiss V4. I’m going to purchase a few more in the coming weeks.
i think zeiss has some freebies for anyone who purchases a scope between certain dates
What is their warranty?
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
What is their warranty?

Zeiss USA...Limited Lifetime Warranty...5 year No-Fault Warranty 😎
Originally Posted by gene270
i think zeiss has some freebies for anyone who purchases a scope between certain dates

They do (or did) indeed. Got an email with a link for a free ballistic turret in my email today. Super stoked with my V4 so far.

This is correct. I ordered a 3-12x44 and you can choose from a free lens cleaning kit or a Kenton Industries turret. Needless to say I am getting the turret.

I am now considering and second in the 4-16 version for a CA 6.5PRC. The other option I am comparing it to is the VX5HD 3-15x44. Anyone have any hands on comparisons of these 2???
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

This is correct. I ordered a 3-12x44 and you can choose from a free lens cleaning kit or a Kenton Industries turret. Needless to say I am getting the turret.

I am now considering and second in the 4-16 version for a CA 6.5PRC. The other option I am comparing it to is the VX5HD 3-15x44. Anyone have any hands on comparisons of these 2???

Yup....I have both the V4 and just recently I received the VX5 HD. I considered going with another Zeiss 4-16 but decided I wanted a shorter length scope for my 7/08 rifle...After getting the VX5 and mounting it up...I wished I hadn’t and just bought another Zeiss V4. Since the 7/08 will only see limited and a specific type of hunting I will do in the future. The VX5 will work for it’s intended use.

Optically they are close, but the Zeiss is easily better than the Leupold. Eye relief is a lot better with the Zeiss. As is edge to edge clearness. It’s really no contest, imo.

Additionally, I have a 280ai that just landed. I planned on mounting up a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50, that I had laying around, which I did. The Bushnell has nice glass, but after mounting it, I decided I want to dial for this rifle...Pulled the Bushnell and ordered a Zeiss V4 6-24x50. I already have this scope on another rig. The 6-24x50 is excellent as well.

When I called to buy the V4 scope, I asked the guy what’s the difference of $500 dollars more get me if I went with a Zeiss V6 3-18x50? He said a little better glass, and made in Germany versus Japan. I’ve owned a Zeiss V6 before in 5-30x50. Again, IMO it was the best glass I’d ever looked through until I bought a Schmidt Bender PMII...$500 dollars more for a smidge better glass wasn’t worth it to me.

Maybe a hard decision for you....For me, I wish I would have listened to myself and bought another V4 4-16x44. 😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Yup....I have both the V4 and just recently I received the VX5 HD. I considered going with another Zeiss 4-16 but decided I wanted a shorter length scope for my 7/08 rifle...After getting the VX5 and mounting it up...I wished I hadn’t and just bought another Zeiss V4. Since the 7/08 will only see limited and a specific type of hunting I will do in the future. The VX5 will work for it’s intended use.

Optically they are close, but the Zeiss is easily better than the Leupold. Eye relief is a lot better with the Zeiss. As is edge to edge clearness. It’s really no contest, imo.

Additionally, I have a 280ai that just landed. I planned on mounting up a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50, that I had laying around, which I did. The Bushnell has nice glass, but after mounting it, I decided I want to dial for this rifle...Pulled the Bushnell and ordered a Zeiss V4 6-24x50. I already have this scope on another rig. The 6-24x50 is excellent as well.

When I called to buy the V4 scope, I asked the guy what’s the difference of $500 dollars more get me if I went with a Zeiss V6 3-18x50? He said a little better glass, and made in Germany versus Japan. I’ve owned a Zeiss V6 before in 5-30x50. Again, IMO it was the best glass I’d ever looked through until I bought a Schmidt Bender PMII...$500 dollars more for a smidge better glass wasn’t worth it to me.

Maybe a hard decision for you....For me, I wish I would have listened to myself and bought another V4 4-16x44. 😎

the difference for me between the v4 and v6 when viewed side by side is the V6 tunnels more. the v4 gives you that expansive view and very thin outer ring around the view. You just see more blacked out edge in the v6, to me its a let down. I don't know if its because of the 6:1 zoom or not. The glass itself I am sure has to be better, but I didn't look at them side by side in conditions that would show the difference. got my v4 mounted up, hopefully sighted in tomorrow.

The 3-12 doesn't accept the Kenton Turret...........FYI
I had the V4, 3-12 for about 20 minutes on my tripod comparing directly to SWFA HD 3-9x42, Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32, and 3-12x44 LRTS Bushy.

In EVERY regard, the Zeiss V4 is lacking.....for my eyes, it was not even close optically to any of the above. A Meopta Meopro would be better.
All scopes were set on 4x, 8x, and bushy/zeiss on 12x at one point. Viewing from 40 yards to 1100 yards. Needless to say, I traded a NEW unmounted V4 3-12 for a used 2-10 Vortex Razor HD LH and couldn't be happier with that decision.

Optically, it's "good enough", but not what one would expect from a Zeiss. The turrets on the 3-12 are a killer anyway, regardless of the optics lacking in comparison to other scopes in the "same" category/sale price range.

Just my experience with ONE Zeiss V4 3-12x44. Your experience may differ and that's fine.

I believe "Koshkin" has a similar view about the Zeiss V4 that he has seen...........(but don't wanna speak for him)
Wow...definitely some conflicting reviews. I have a 3-12x44 but have only shot it at the range. Most important feature to me is low light capability. A Meopro in 4.5-14x44 would not be out of the question either.
Is the V4 available with German # 4 reticle? If not what Zeiss scopes are?
Originally Posted by scratcherky
Is the V4 available with German # 4 reticle? If not what Zeiss scopes are?

# 6 non illuminated #60 illuminated is as close as you will come to a # 4 in the lineup. The V4 3-12x56 has those. The #60 is a beautiful reticle and the #6 is not too shabby either
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
I had the V4, 3-12 for about 20 minutes on my tripod comparing directly to SWFA HD 3-9x42, Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32, and 3-12x44 LRTS Bushy.

In EVERY regard, the Zeiss V4 is lacking.....for my eyes, it was not even close optically to any of the above. A Meopta Meopro would be better.
All scopes were set on 4x, 8x, and bushy/zeiss on 12x at one point. Viewing from 40 yards to 1100 yards. Needless to say, I traded a NEW unmounted V4 3-12 for a used 2-10 Vortex Razor HD LH and couldn't be happier with that decision.

Optically, it's "good enough", but not what one would expect from a Zeiss. The turrets on the 3-12 are a killer anyway, regardless of the optics lacking in comparison to other scopes in the "same" category/sale price range.

Just my experience with ONE Zeiss V4 3-12x44. Your experience may differ and that's fine.

I believe "Koshkin" has a similar view about the Zeiss V4 that he has seen...........(but don't wanna speak for him)

Thanks for your thoughts...

Recently sat a SWFA 5-20 side by side with a pards rifle that wears a V4 6-24. As much as he loves his V4, both of us felt it lacked optically. I’m no glass snob and place my priorities in robustness, tracking, RTZ, ZR and glass is secondary. Within reason...

I had thoughts of buying a Zeiss V4 4-16x50 with illuminated MOA reticle to flog on and test out. But after looking through the 50mm I may take advantage of outfitter pricing on the 4-16x44 as I don’t think it’s something that would stick around anyhow.
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

Thanks for your thoughts...

Recently sat a SWFA 5-20 side by side with a pards rifle that wears a V4 6-24. As much as he loves his V4, both of us felt it lacked optically. I’m no glass snob and place my priorities in robustness, tracking, RTZ, ZR and glass is secondary. Within reason...

I had thoughts of buying a Zeiss V4 4-16x50 with illuminated MOA reticle to flog on and test out. But after looking through the 50mm I may take advantage of outfitter pricing on the 4-16x44 as I don’t think it’s something that would stick around anyhow.

This is exactly why scopes and their glass clarity will always be “subjective” based on an individuals eyes and what they see.

Myself owning SWFA 5-20x50 HD, Leupold VX6 and VX5 HD, S&B PMii 4-16x50 and 4-16x50 Klassic, Bushnell Elite 6500, and LHSI, several NF NXS and SHV, and Zeiss V4’s and once a Zeiss V6, some could say I would know what I’m talking about...

And, I do...But only to my eyes.

Even side by side viewing, that I have also done, speaks again to my eyes only for comparison. Same for anyone else saying X scope has better glass than Z..

A better question would always be “What scope works best mechanically?” Now, that question can be answered objectively.
LMAO 😂😎
Howdy! Long time...

I put one of these on my fauXtreme Hunter build (clone of a GAP Extreme Hunter, 6.5 SAUM) and love it. Optically really good, and has been a stud mechanically. RTZ has been perfect as has tracking (this is a 1/2 MOA rifle “all day long” so it’s easy to see). The only other scope I’ve seen this type of tracking from is my big NF NSX. The elevation turret is the shizzle and other manufacturers should copy it and be done.

Couple thoughts:

-figure out how to set the zero stop BEFORE you go to the range. With good light. And your reading glasses, if you are getting old like me. Maybe even (gasp) RTFM. And do not forget your Torx T8.

- it will require Talley mediums on a Rem700 if you have a PTG one-piece bolt... otherwise the bolt won’t clear the big ocular.

As a side note I put a couple 1-4x24 V4’s, now discontinued, on AR15’s and they are also killer. If they ever come available again for the close out price of $400+ hit add to cart as fast as your little fingers can hit it.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Howdy! Long time...

Not nearly long enough.
Got bored at two minutes.
© 24hourcampfire