Home
Like the title says, I'm wondering if people are using the lighter Barnes TTSX bullets in the .270 Winchester. What kind of results are you seeing on game? Has anybody used the 110 gr. on bigger game like elk? Never hear much about 'em. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
110TTSX: Was easy to find an accurate load. Only one deer so far, DRT, 2 holes, light recoil, no complaints. So many bullets, so little time!
Thanks. I figured they'd really zap deer sized game. The light recoil has me intrigued. Been wondering about the lighter Accubonds for that matter, too.
I've killed 8-10 with a .270 and 110 grain TTSXs. All one shot kills. All complete penetration, no recovered bullets. A couple at 25 feet, those had very impressive damage. One at almost 300 yards took out more bone than any other deer I have ever killed and still exited. No failures to expand. A 130 pound or so doe I shot with them left enough or her heart and lung tissue where she stood that I could have filled a cup with it. She made it about 70 yards and remains the longest run of any deer I have killed with a Barnes. About half of them dropped where they stood. If I didn't have a bunch of the 110s I'd probably drop down to the 80 grainers and see more of the same performance, that's what I get out of 80 grain TTSXs and 85 grain TSXs in .243. The .270 started giving me 1/2 inch high by caliber wide groups with 55.5 grains of 4350 at 3170 FPS so I never went any further to see how fast they'd go.

If I were going to work them up again, I would start with 4451 and look for about 3250-3300 FPS at the top, maybe a little better.
Originally Posted by MILES58
I've killed 8-10 with a .270 and 110 grain TTSXs. All one shot kills. All complete penetration, no recovered bullets. A couple at 25 feet, those had very impressive damage. One at almost 300 yards took out more bone than any other deer I have ever killed and still exited. No failures to expand. A 130 pound or so doe I shot with them left enough or her heart and lung tissue where she stood that I could have filled a cup with it. She made it about 70 yards and remains the longest run of any deer I have killed with a Barnes. About half of them dropped where they stood. If I didn't have a bunch of the 110s I'd probably drop down to the 80 grainers and see more of the same performance, that's what I get out of 80 grain TTSXs and 85 grain TSXs in .243. The .270 started giving me 1/2 inch high by caliber wide groups with 55.5 grains of 4350 at 3170 FPS so I never went any further to see how fast they'd go.

If I were going to work them up again, I would start with 4451 and look for about 3250-3300 FPS at the top, maybe a little better.

Are you mainly busting shoulders or taking lung shots?
I know some are skeptical of them. I have had excellent luck. Killed big 6x6 Elk with 175 grain Barnes LRX. Killed many whitetail with 100 TTSX in .25-06 and 120 TTSX in .260. Great penetration and alot of internal damage. Son shot a nice
Thanks for the input fellas. Anyone else?
I've shot lots of red deer with 100 gr ttsx's in a 6.5x06 wouldn't be any different to a 270 as far as the animal knew.
Never had so many drop on the spot kills. They're doing 3300 fps and like to hit bone.
Shot plains game in Africa with 110 TTSX. Works like 130 TTSX. 270 W at around 3300.
What was the biggest animal you took with them? What kind of shots (shoulders, ribs, etc)?
1 adult buck with 270 TTSX @ 3250, shooting down and away, into the spine, out the far lung/ribs. DRT.
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Are you mainly busting shoulders or taking lung shots?

A couple-three were brain stem shots placed just under the skull. A few were heart-lung shots deliberately placed to avoid shoulders. At least two were placed to take at least one shoulder. One was placed to take both scapula just under the spine, what most people call a high shoulder shot. One was carefully placed 4 or so inches behind the shoulder and an inch or so below the spine with the specific intent to take out the descending aorta with the lungs. The variety of shots were chosen specifically to see what kind of performance I was getting out of the bullets.
Thanks. Planning on running the 110gr TTSX next season (and the 100gr TTSX in my 260). I'm normally a shoulder shooter but was curious how they'd do if you missed bone and just took out heart and lungs.
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Like the title says, I'm wondering if people are using the lighter Barnes TTSX bullets in the .270 Winchester. What kind of results are you seeing on game? Has anybody used the 110 gr. on bigger game like elk? Never hear much about 'em. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

I bought a BACO model 70 in 270 a few years back for the action, a custom build that I indeed got around too later, but, in the meantime, just for S&G's worked up a load with the 110 gr TTSX and RL-17 powder, would you believe 3550 fps and less than moa groups at 100?

I have no doubt in mind that load would have knocked a buck deer or any hog that walked the woods into next month, damn what an eye opener it was, BTW, DONT SHOOT THE DONOR, damn near didn't want to break that rifle down for the build after that. smile
I've loaded 56.5 gr of RL17 for and accurate round but haven't chrono'd . what load got you to 3550?
Originally Posted by uncle joe
I've loaded 56.5 gr of RL17 for and accurate round but haven't chrono'd . what load got you to 3550?

It's raining to beat 60 out there right now Uncle Joe, I'll run out to the shop and grab my load afterwhile and get you the powder charge, I do remember conversing with another 'Fire member who PM'd me that he had done the same thing with his 270 and the 110 gr TTSX.
Originally Posted by gunner500

I bought a BACO model 70 in 270 a few years back for the action, a custom build that I indeed got around too later, but, in the meantime, just for S&G's worked up a load with the 110 gr TTSX and RL-17 powder, would you believe 3550 fps and less than moa groups at 100?

I have no doubt in mind that load would have knocked a buck deer or any hog that walked the woods into next month, damn what an eye opener it was, BTW, DONT SHOOT THE DONOR, damn near didn't want to break that rifle down for the build after that. smile

I have a bunch of 110 TTSX loaded up over RL-17 to try out next week. The book numbers look like 3400+ should be no big deal. Mine's a 22" SS Fwt in a Brown Pound'r and if they shoot as fast and as well, they might get the nod for high country elk this Fall. Here's to hoping!
Thanks for the input, everyone. Still would like to hear from anyone who has used the 110 on elk-sized game.

It's raining to beat 60 out there right now Uncle Joe, I'll run out to the shop and grab my load afterwhile and get you the powder charge, I do remember conversing with another 'Fire member who PM'd me that he had done the same thing with his 270 and the 110 gr TTSX.

Uncle Joe, I worked up this load in my rifle in 2011 before any load data was available, 60.5 grs RL-17 sent the 110 gr TTSX to 3552 fps in my rifle, W-W brass, fed 215 primers and a COL of 3.250"

Accuracy was .660" for three at 100.
TDN, that will make a fine high country lw hunting rifle, provided accuracy is there, cant see what that wouldn't take out to a good 350+ yards.
I've been shooting 260 Rem. & the Barnes 120gr X & now the 120gr TSX. We take elk every season with complete pass thru. Heavy bone or muscle does not stop them. They tend to retain 100% of their weight which means penetration. A hunting buddy & his son use 270"s & the 130gr TSX. Same thing complete pass thru on elk. Never seen the 110's used on elk but I have seen them pass thru the heaviest muley bucks like a hot knife thru butter. A big plus is that they don't shatter & splinter like C&C bullets. If you inadvertently strike a meaty spot like a shoulder you won't blow it up like a C&C bullet. Used the Nosler partition for years but these mono's far out penetrate the Nosler. When it comes to heavy game like elk the mono's are the only bullet I want. Many years back before the 260 Rem came out I built my wife a 6.5x08 ( 260 Rem now ) wild cat. First elk she shot was at a lasered 197yds. Shooting the then Barnes 120gr "X" the bull dropped at the shot with complete penetration thru both front shoulders. These bullets are amazing.. When loading always start at .050 off the lands as Barnes recommends. Some where between .030 & .070 off the lands you will find your rifles accuracy sweet spot.

Say, Gunner that load shows 70,000+psi in Quickload.
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Knew it was a hot load, but, as said, no load data available at the time, caseheads miked okay and primer pockets remained snug, is the 270 a sammi speced 65K cartridge, or is that the '06 or 308 Winchester?
you can get about 3470fp at about 60K with RL26 according to Qiuckload. I was using RL16 and RL17 with same bullet at 3400fps.
10-4, I finally broke the rifle down for a custom build, my other 270's are pre-64's, a FWT and a Standard rifle, I shoot 150 and 160 gr Partitions in them with RL-22, 150's run an easy 2925, the 160's go 2800 in the 22" barreled Feather Weight.
The 110's are pretty impressive on deer. Accurate and light recoiling.

I,m going to load more Barnes TTSX 110gr in my 270. Might have a chance to shoot some coyotes in Canada next fall, maybe even a wolf.
That seems to be a smoking bullet. My old arms like the recoil. about like shooting my 257 Roberts.

Uncle Joe, I worked up this load in my rifle in 2011 before any load data was available, 60.5 grs RL-17 sent the 110 gr TTSX to 3552 fps in my rifle, W-W brass, fed 215 primers and a COL of 3.250"

I'll have to work up a few . Appreciate the response.

Joe, I loaded that same load, 56.5gr of RL16 and RL17 110gr Barnes TTSX CCI 200 primer. Got 3401 with one and 3400 with the other.
I have used the 110 TSX out of one 270. This was probably 10 plus years ago. The load was running 3250fps, and do not have load details at hand. Used on many deer, a couple antelope, blackbuck, Axis, and hogs. No elk.

They simply worked. I did recover two, that retained 100% weight and perfect expansion. Both were second shots from the south end of north bound deer, both were found in the neck area after two plus feet of penetration.

I am going to work up a load for my son's 270 this year with 110gr TTSX,
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

As far off as quick load can be in predicting speeds I'm not sure I'd trust the pressures to be that reliable either. But I could be wrong.

Loaded a few boxes of 95s in 270 win for friends dad. Really worked well on smaller hill country deer. Quick death, short runs generally. Even with less than ideal hits. Not so bad on meat damage like CC bullets can do.

Never recovered a bullet.
I've known a number of shooters who found that Quick load can be way off as to "maximum pressures." when one considers the wide variety of barrels, components and weather in which we shoot, it's not wonder. E

Wife of a friend of mine uses that combo on elk, and I don't think he's even loading it to max for her. He said she's killed 4 cows with it so far.
The

Loaded several and tried them yesterday. First shot was 4” high (was shooting 150 Hornady’s) Adjusted scope and got a .75” group a half inch high at 100 yards. Not bad. Now comes the problem, I decided to try some 130 gr ttsx factory ammo while there and the group dropped .75” with all 3 touching. Kind of hard to justify reloading unless it’s just to pass time.
I’m guessing the 130’s will do about anything I want to do.
© 24hourcampfire