Home
Posted By: DigitalDan 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Who has enough ‘nads to pull the trigger?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: shaman Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
That's not funny.

. . . okay. I'll admit it's funny.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
You guys can have my turn. I like my retinas attached.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Decent quail gun
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
If a Loony got ahold of that and used a little ingenuity he could handle everything from bunnies to light armored vehicles.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
You ain't seen the quail around here. That thing wouldn't knock off a tail feather.
Posted By: EdM Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Ross Seyfried.
Posted By: Dutch Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Make mine a punt gun, and let’s go in a month!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by Dutch
Make mine a punt gun, and let’s go in a month!

my thoughts too!
Posted By: smallfry Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Never fired a 2 bore but have always been a recoil junkie. Now days I fire smaller and smaller guns.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Fuqk that.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Nope no way and not gonna!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
Fuqk that.

Pussy.......
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
For the record, none of those 2-bore and 4-bore guns were shoulder-fired. They were all punt guns, used to flock shoot roosting waterfowl in the market hunting days.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Never saw a 2 or 4. I've got a 6 gauge slug, made by remington.
Posted By: papat Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Wasn't there a story about some old time hunter that had a gun bearer shoot in a bad situation and it broke his neck? Caliber?
Posted By: rainshot Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I'll pull the trigger if You'll aim it.
Posted By: Craigster Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I shot a 600 Overkill. Once.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I have the reputation of, "I'll shoot anything at least once." I guess this'll ruin my reputation but when it comes to that thing, I'll pass and run like hell.
Paul B.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I'd watch
Posted By: gunzo Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Ya might enjoy the Stolzer & Sons Gunsmithing website. www.stolzergunsmithing.com

Met him at Friendship a few years ago & the guy just flat out goes big. About the most interesting guns I've ever handled.

Posted By: sawbuck Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
It's more of a push...Grin
Posted By: OGB Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by 700LH
I'd watch

And giggle
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
My eye doc has been concerned about my shooting since.....forever.

So I elected to shoot smaller caliber match rifles.

I have no elephants to manage in eastern nc and won't ever make it to Africa.

So I guess I'm short on the 'nads.

ETA
Maybe with it bolted in a punt gun mount
I shot a .577 Nyati elephant gun, twice. It has almost exactly double the recoil of a .458 Win at 120 ft-lbs. I am not ashamed to say that I flinched on the second shot. (In Africa, its silver-soldered sights flew off the first time it was fired. My local smith was sighting it back in after replacing them. He had already shot it four times and couldn't take any more, so he asked for volunteers. Nobody shot it more than twice, and most only once. BTW, the rounds for it were $20 each, and that was 20 years ago.)
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
IIRC 440 grains is the proper charge for a 2100 grain conical in a 4 bore so the 300 grain charge for a 2 bore using a 3500 gr rd ball sounds like a gross under load. Wtf?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For the record, none of those 2-bore and 4-bore guns were shoulder-fired. They were all punt guns, used to flock shoot roosting waterfowl in the market hunting days.

Not exactly correct. Before smokeless powder, old time African hunters used them all the time. Some of them weighed 35 pounds and they had to be carried by a gunbearer. Some developed permanent conditions from shooting them.
I shot a .577 Nyati elephant gun, twice. It has almost exactly double the recoil of a .458 Win at 120 ft-lbs. I am not ashamed to say that I flinched on the second shot. (In Africa, its silver-soldered sights flew off the first time it was fired. My local smith was sighting it back in after replacing them. He had already shot it four times and couldn't take any more, so he asked for volunteers. Nobody shot it more than twice, and most only once. BTW, the rounds for it were $20 each, and that was 20 years ago.)

I hope he wasn't trying to shoot it off the bench. The proper way with such rifles is to stand up and rest them on a tripod. Felt recoil is a lot less and you're not concerned with little bitty groups with such rifles.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
does Bass Pro stock the brass?
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Hmmm...how heavy is the gun?

Grandpa had an 8 gauge he used for ducks and geese back in the teens and 20s. I believe it was left over from the market hunting days. I still have his double 10 he used for waterfowl right up until he passed at 92. He wouldn't shoot anything smaller.
Indy, you are correct about the 2-bores and such in Africa. I had forgotten those beasts. And we fired the Nyati standing, unsupported. It was a heavily modified Win Model 70 that weighed 20 pounds, mostly in the barrel. Still was like being hit by a bus.
Posted By: DMc Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Wall hanger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
IIRC 440 grains is the proper charge for a 2100 grain conical in a 4 bore so the 300 grain charge for a 2 bore using a 3500 gr rd ball sounds like a gross under load. Wtf?

Ya, 7x the bullet weight and 4.5x the powder of a .45-70. Sounds like a girlie load to me. Oughta be at least 700 gr of powder. grin
Indy, you are correct about the 2-bores and such in Africa. I had forgotten those beasts. And we fired the Nyati standing, unsupported. It was a heavily modified Win Model 70 that weighed 20 pounds, mostly in the barrel. Still was like being hit by a bus.

Wow. Do you remember the bullet weight (probably 750 grains) or velocity?

20 pounds would help somewhat.

The first .458 I fired was one Browning introduced about 1960. It was very light weight. Firing offhand with Winchester factory ammo (2100 fps, 500 grains), I could not keep my right hand in contact with the rifle as the muzzle recoiled upwards.

John "Pondoro" Taylor's first real elephant rifle was a .600 Nitro Express he bought used. 900 grain bullet at 1900 fps. The seller "forgot" to tell him that it doubled sometimes. Not one to waste valuable ammo on targets, his first shot was at an elephant. Both barrels fired, the rifle went sailing behind Taylor, and he ended up on his butt. After that he used it as a single shot.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I heard a bobwhite in the background of the video. I wonder if that’s what he was shooting at? 😊
That sucker needs a turret or a carriage 😊
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
My grandad from S Dakota was a part time market hunter. I remember seeing his punt gun as a little boy. It would swallow several of those 2-bore shells.

In later years he told me he muzzle loaded it with then "bulk smokeless powder" and leather wads with a whole bunch of BB shot.

Still, that 2 gauge has a certain "pucker-factor". eek
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21

Kind of off the subject but:

Back in the 1950s in Virginia City, Nev. The was a huge gun collection in the Old 62 bar, owned by an old guy named Charlie,he had a little room in the back where he lived, he had 2, 4, 6, 8, Bore rifles in display cases, in their carry cases, along with ammo for them, they were something to see, he had rows of dowel pegs on the walls, with rifles and pistols stacked on them, i asked him how many guns he had and he said over 10,000.

I asked him which was his favorite gun, and he reached behind the door of his room and came out with a m-1 carbine, then showed me a big blood stain on the wood floor, right in the front door, 2 guy's came to rob his place late at night and he killed them both just inside the door with the carbine. he would play poker with a couple of old timers on Wen. nights, one guy was the Sheriff, of Washoe County , for 20 years, back in the 1930s and 40s, great old guys and fun to play poker with. Rio7
I must have misrememberized a bit. The round I shot was a .585 Nyati, not a .577. According to Wikki, it develops 10,000 ft-lbs of muzzle crump. It fires a 750 solid slug at about 2450 fps and was developed by Ross Seyfried.

I can assure you that 10,000 ft-lbs out the front is a mofo at the back.
600 Overkill :

900gr Woodleigh
175gr H414
2400 fps
13,000 (+/-) ft lbs
Aptly named round, Craigster.
Posted By: dale06 Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I prefer a 22 hornet.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

AI that thing and you’d really have something!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

Kind of off the subject but:

Back in the 1950s in Virginia City, Nev. The was a huge gun collection in the Old 62 bar, owned by an old guy named Charlie,he had a little room in the back where he lived, he had 2, 4, 6, 8, Bore rifles in display cases, in their carry cases, along with ammo for them, they were something to see, he had rows of dowel pegs on the walls, with rifles and pistols stacked on them, i asked him how many guns he had and he said over 10,000.

I asked him which was his favorite gun, and he reached behind the door of his room and came out with a m-1 carbine, then showed me a big blood stain on the wood floor, right in the front door, 2 guy's came to rob his place late at night and he killed them both just inside the door with the carbine. he would play poker with a couple of old timers on Wen. nights, one guy was the Sheriff, of Washoe County , for 20 years, back in the 1930s and 40s, great old guys and fun to play poker with. Rio7

I remember it as a young kid. We loved to go to VC! It wasn't all commercialized like it is now. They had a character called Badwater Bill who walked the street with his desert canary and chicken riding on it.

I can't find a good picture of him, but this was Badwater.

Originally Posted by dale06
I prefer a 22 hornet.

I like the Colibris by Aguila.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
I wouldn't shoot that thing on a dare. My sense of 'shooting adventure' stops with my Winchester 1300
Posted By: mathman Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

AI that thing and you’d really have something!

Neck it down to 6mm.
Posted By: Raeford Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Was going to say, it's no Creedmoor............but hey
Posted By: 1minute Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
A lot of the early Africa writings (late 1700's) make mention of 4 bores and lots of bloody noses and bruised shoulders acquired as they tried single handed shots while chasing game on horses. Seems elephants were capable of absorbing a dozen rounds or so and still making a get away.

Not seen any references on shouldering 2 bores.

My greatest pounding comes from a 45-70 that I mistakenly decided to hop up. Four hundred and five grain slugs leaving at about 1,700 fps. Need to find some sucker to shoot up the last 85 rounds. It's also the only rifle that clearly generates torque as the slug is leaving.
We had a custom pistolsmith locally who converted Ruger Blackhawks to .45-70. They generated enough torque that you had to specify if you were going to shoot them right- or left-handed...and you HAD to shoot them single-handed. From the right hand, the torque would bring the gun up and left, twisting on the way such that the gun ended up next to your left ear. If you tried that holding it in the left hand or with a two-handed grip, the gun would come straight back and plant the hammer spur in your forehead. If you were a leftie, he rifled them with the opposite twist.

I did an article on him and his guns. It was enlightening. With his training, even a small boy could handle one of those cannons. The counerintuitive secret was that the gun had to be held lightly in one hand, not with a death grip. Your arm muscles had to be relaxed to allow the gun to move. It was going to move, you soon learned, and if you let it there was no pain. But try to manhandle it and you'd strain or break something. You just had to get used to the fact that when the trigger broke, the gun simply disappeared from your sight, magically placing itself pointing straight up next to your left ear.

He also would chamber your Blackhawk to .375 Max or .444 Marlin. I fired all three, and the .444 was the nastiest. VERY quick recoil. The big .45-70 was a long, fairly slow shove.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21

I will have to check to be sure but I believe F. C. Selous hunted elephants w/ a 4 bore. I am sure he was shooting ball that was "4 to a pound". He wrote that he was unseated from his horse once by recoil and developed a lifelong flinch.

He also could run for hours chasing elephants while not wearing pants. Those old boys were pretty tough.grin

mike r
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Originally Posted by DMc
Wall hanger

Nope, turn it upright and use it for a stovepipe, you'd have to put a flue in it, though.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Never even heard of one.
1 Minute, I just loaded about 50 rounds of .45-70 with similar performance as you related. My purpose is crowd control, and figure with proper alignment it’s good for 8-10 perforated jerks per shot. My other .45-70 load uses a 530 gr bullet and is much more serious.
I was corrected on that earlier, lvmiker. I probably should have said that the only 2- and 4-bore guns I had ever personally seen were punt guns.
Posted By: 1minute Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Digital D:

Also have a 45-90 in a Sharps here, and a mold for some 545 gr slugs. Have not fired those pills yet but with the rifle coming in at 15 lbs it should be a piece of cake. I do think I'll stay away from the 2 bore though. Have a good one,
My serious loads for the .45-70 led to my rifle being named Thumper. Published load data suggests that bullet is good for 1,800 FPS, that being a fair bit more than I’m cruising at present.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Hell, I'd pull the trigger in a second.

Now ya just need somebody ta hold it while I do.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope no way and not gonna!

C'mon Elks, you know the bunnies got your .460 figured out. Time for a new approach!
Posted By: basdjs Re: 2 Bore - 09/14/21
Hold my beer!
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
My serious loads for the .45-70 led to my rifle being named Thumper. Published load data suggests that bullet is good for 1,800 FPS, that being a fair bit more than I’m cruising at present.

There are so many aspects to recoil. I had a Rifles Inc 458 Lott, and while I don’t remember how heavy it was, I would guess in the 9 lb + range.

Later, I had a Marlin ‘95 at maybe 7.5 lbs. A pound and a half notwithstanding, heavy 45-70 loads were just downright obnoxious in it for me. Worse than the Lott in their respective stocks or at least it seemed so.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
I have never heard of a shoulder fired 2 bore. Was there such a thing??
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
I saw a 4 bore single shot rifle in the used gun rack on a visit to London several years ago. It had a Jones style under leaver and looked to weigh probably 15 pounds. It's overall size made the rifle look short, but it really wasn't. The thing was huge! There wasn't anything about that rifle that made me want to shoot it, including the cost of a shell. I can't imagine the size of a 2 bore.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21

The next step. 😀

https://youtu.be/_7dlgh6of_0
Posted By: kennyd Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
I shot an h&r 3.5 12 ga. ONCE. bruised shoulder and damn near broke my trigger finger.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
I have a Shiloh LRE 74 chambered for 50-140 3 1/4" that's all the recoil I need. Mb
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
Originally Posted by Craigster
I prefer a 22 hornet.

Do they over penetrate?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
I fondled a £37,000.00 32ga Holland & Holland at the H&H store in London once. Best balanced firearm I ever shouldered. I very nearly popped a boner.
Posted By: DMc Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
Dan, you're all over the board. From .22 shorts to 2 gauge. Maybe you should settle down and find a happy medium somewhere in between?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
Originally Posted by DMc
Dan, you're all over the board. From .22 shorts .17 BB caps to 2 gauge. Maybe you should settle down and find a happy medium somewhere in between?

Fixed that for ya!
Posted By: P_Weed Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
Give me 100 yards of string and I'll pull any trigger.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 2 Bore - 09/15/21
Hard pass. I shot an H&R single shot in 10 gauge with a slug once... one shot was plenty for me.
Posted By: Craigster Re: 2 Bore - 09/16/21
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Craigster
I prefer a 22 hornet.

Do they over penetrate?

No, but the Super Colibris can be pretty nasty.
© 24hourcampfire