Home
Posted By: BigNate Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Filson doesn't have squat in stock, and I was wanting to get a tincloth jacket.

Do any of you have a recommendation for equal quality, similar clothing.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
I used to buy their belts, but the quality went down far enough for me not to be able to justify the cost. They are getting just like everybody else.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Beretta.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
European farmers, gardeners, and people who enjoy "country sports" are fond of Barbour brand. My mother used Barbour jacket for years.
Posted By: skeen Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Check out Kevin’s.

https://kevinscatalog.com/collectio...ed-jacket-14-7017?variant=30132485652557

https://kevinscatalog.com/collectio...on-jacket-16-4203?variant=29066798465101
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
What size are you?
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Barbour or Orvis .
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Barbour is great, but not nearly as heavy duty as Filson, + they begin to stink bad after several years. I have 2 expensive Barbour jackets and both have that terrible rancid oily smell. I've sent them both back to Barbour for cleaning and reproofing, but the stench remains. I even hung one in the garage for over a year to no avail. I no longer wear them, which is a shame since they are quality garments.
Posted By: Greatlaker Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Always a lot of Filson Tin Cloth items on EBay
Posted By: gunzo Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/02/22
Outback trading co. ?
Posted By: BigNate Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22

quote=Cruiser1]What size are you?[/quote]

I usually wear a large. About 46 to 48" chest.
Kuhl?
Posted By: BigNate Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Hadn't heard of Kevin's thanks!

Barbour did seem like quality stuff but many complain about the smell.
LOL, Carhartt rain defender 1/4 zip sweat shirt for the win.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
^^^ Link?
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Barbour is great, but not nearly as heavy duty as Filson, + they begin to stink bad after several years. I have 2 expensive Barbour jackets and both have that terrible rancid oily smell. I've sent them both back to Barbour for cleaning and reproofing, but the stench remains. I even hung one in the garage for over a year to no avail. I no longer wear them, which is a shame since they are quality garments.

Put the coat in a large tightly sealed plastic container with a bowl of fresh vinegar (.5-1 cup), and see if it will soak the stench up. It works to remove smoke stench from cloths, etc. Leave for 24 hours, and test and repeat several times if needed with fresh vinegar.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by gunzo
Outback trading co. ?

I second that, But make sure you get the black coat that is not made in China. The brown coats are made in China. I have both and it has taken me over 20 years to get my black one broke in. I have a light cloth material liner and I have a wool liner that I use depending on the time of year and the temp.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I’ve got one of carhearts rain defender sweaters and really like it. I’m surprised how well the water keeps from absorbing into the Cotton. Granted, I haven’t washed it.

My favorite is a custom field jacket worn by a hero who served in two wars. He gifted it to me and I wore it ever since.
When it started wearing out around the sleeve cuffs, I had a Taylor refurbish it to custom specs. The OD green tight weave cotton was more than perfect for the project. It sheds rain very well and is dressy enough for a Sunday morning or the dense woods of West Virginia. I have looked at all of the brands and wouldn't trade it for any of them, even without the sentimental value. I finished the jacket and on these cold rainy days, it's a welcome reminder of my uncle.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22

I pretty much live in them
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by Calvin

How well does the rain defender coating stay on after washes?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by robertham1

Seems ok. I wouldn’t spend all day in the rain with it but for shorter periods or time it’s fine.
Posted By: Judman Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
King of the mountain or sleeping Indian.
Originally Posted by Judman
King of the mountain or sleeping Indian.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/7996651/Sleeping_Indian_Design_wool_cl
Posted By: Judman Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Sleeping Indian is alive and well….
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/03/22
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

Put the coat in a large tightly sealed plastic container with a bowl of fresh vinegar (.5-1 cup), and see if it will soak the stench up. It works to remove smoke stench from cloths, etc. Leave for 24 hours, and test and repeat several times if needed with fresh vinegar.

Thanks Elks, I'll give that a try when I'm able to dig them out of storage.
I didn't know. I searched based on your recommendation and that's all that I found. The old website address link was dead. They must have a new site.
Originally Posted by robertham1

Have one that’s probably 3rd winter of use. Pretty faded. Was out all day last Friday in constant drizzle and the layers underneath were dry. Wouldn’t stay out in a pouring rain though.
Pretty much the only outer layer I wear unless it gets brutal cold which is pretty rare here any more.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/04/22
I have a rain defender coat that's great if it's warm enough to rain. But it requires a real insulation layer when it gets cold.

The thought behind a tin cloth coat and liner was being adaptable to most everything. It may not be best in the rain, but overall it seems a great option.

Looking like supply chain for materials might make getting stuff like this difficult for a while.
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

My filson jacket has a persistent odor. I always assumed it was because if I was wearing it, chit was getting killed.

I will have to try this.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/04/22
Outback Black is what I’ve had for fifteen years. Properly treated, it’s waterproof, wind proof and looks awesome. Brown is from China. Black is native Outback. Wouldn’t trade it…for any of them.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Alternative to Filson? - 01/05/22
Used older Woolrich coats on [bleep] or Ebay. I bought a like- new one last month on [bleep] reasonably priced.
Have been wearing Barbour for 30+ years. Love ‘em. Never had a problem with any odor. Ideally, they need to be re-waxed every year. I retreat mine about every 2 or 3 years. You can pick up a can of wax from Orvis ($20 this year) or Amazon. One can should treat two coats.

But the material is not super tough like Folsom tin cloth is reputed to be.

Make a trip to Orvis to check out styles and sizes (albeit their selection is limited to a few styles). Then watch eBay, Mercari, or PoshMark to pick them up at less than retail price. I just picked up a like-new Barbour Durham in a non-waxed fabric for $55 on Mercari.
© 24hourcampfire