Home
Posted By: smokepole Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
This is a question for Paul Barnard and others. I just got a new bike and it's been great so far. Great exercise and easy on the knees. We have a lot of trails so I can pretty much stay off the road but there are some spots where I have to take roads for a short distance.

What type of holster do you prefer? I want to have my pistol easily accessible in case some coal-rolling gaptooth gets too close and bumps me off into the ditch. I want to be able to get off a few rounds before he drives off and gets out of range..

I'm thinking some kind of SOB holster, what do you use?
Cyclists??

Prison Wallet Carry.
I'm not familiar with that one Jim, how does it work?
Paul will fill you in.

Its like his Magic Bag of tricks.
Posted By: Teal Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Cyclists??

Prison Wallet Carry.

TFF
It’s a crappy holster in my opinion!
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Paul will fill you in.

Its like his Magic Bag of tricks.

Hahah. I imagine it would work best with a hammer less weapon though
On the plus side...if you start to "print" you can just say it's hemorrhoids.

The other cyclists will understand.
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm not familiar with that one Jim, how does it work?

Saran Wrap, electrical tape, vaseline and lots of practice. I’m thinking a Lamaze class may be beneficial.
You’re going to need to vacpack it in case it rains.
Originally Posted by ironbender
You’re going to need to vacpack it in case it rains.

It never rains here.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

So, a chest rig then?
Never had a problem with the fobus small of the back holster camping , bicycling , or about any ride gadget .
But I guess that might not fare to well if your opposed to wearing a belt
But I have worn a belt over jogging shorts or pants if. I felt an absolute need to carry .
Kenneth

So, a chest rig then?

Shoulder?
Sawed off shotgun in the old school handle bar mounts.

Like what folks used on 3 - wheelers.

😂🤣😂
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Sawed off shotgun in the old school handle bar mounts.

How gauche, we are cyclists.
I have done some research on this and learned that nothing is ideal. When I carry on the bike, I carry in my CamelBak. I have practiced fast access drills. It's not great but not horrible either. The average GMC/Chevy rager/driver is old, fat and slow, so even if your set-up isn't ideal, you'll probably still get the drop on them.
Cyclists who ride faster tend to favor tight-fitting clothing because loose clothing creates a lot of aerodynamic drag. The drag goes up as the square of the velocity, so a mountain biker on a singletrack climb might wear baggie shorts, but it behooves a road cyclist that maintains over 30mph to wear a tight-fitting merino jersey or lycra rather than anything that will act like a drag chute. Close-fitting clothes make it difficult to conceal a firearm within the clothing. Open carry is legal in Colorado except in Denver, but it isn't advisable. If you can't conceal it within your clothes, your choices may be to have it in a backpack, waist-pack, or chest bag or on a bag that's mounted on the bike.

Cycle tourists and bikepackers have the opportunity to take the weight off their body and put it on the bike, but a handgun is one thing that may be preferable to keep on one's person rather than on their bike for the same reasons it's preferable to have it in a holster rather than in the car or a handbag. A body-mounted bag like a backpack may therefore be preferable to a bike-mounted handlebar bag, saddle bag, frame bag, or pannier.

Paul Harrell has recommended his Five-Seven for cycle-touring at least a couple times because of its low weight. I think it's his solution looking for a problem and I've not heard him ever claim to have cycle toured or even ridden a bike instead of driving one of his classic muscle cars.

Riding on the road can be intimidating in our car-centric culture where women and little children get bumped-off with possibly not even a legal consequence to the driver. Nevertheless, bicycling is still statistically safer than driving a car. Want to wear a helmet? Use it in your car where you're far more likely to sustain a head injury, but use it on the bike too because they work. But don't be afraid to ride on the road because the roads weren't built for cars and they don't belong to motor vehicle drivers.
Do you wear your helmet in your car?

Asking for my friend Maser …
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Nevertheless, bicycling is still statistically safer than driving a car.

My BS Meter is pegging out . . .
... a road cyclist that maintains over 30mph...

Road cyclists don't maintain over 30MPH. That's the domain of time trial racers.

We don't have data of the quality or granularity to be able to make the second statement. Hell, the word "safer" shouldn't even be used in that context without some kind of qualification. We'd have to have data on cyclists exposure hours before we could make a statement like that.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: RalphS Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
When I'm riding my bike (20-30 miles), I carry an LCP in a "ComfortTac Ultimate Pocket Holster" from Amazon. Back pocket with velcro closure to keep it in there. So light, I don't notice it. It's the only time I carry the LCP. Better than nothing.
I would just carry nunchucks.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Is "CamelBak" code for "Ballsac"?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

My BS Meter is pegging out . . .

Ever heard of getting a gal pregnant on the back seat of a bicycle?
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/HOLSTERGUY-R...&hvtargid=pla-973336691453&psc=1

This is my favorite: https://www.joom.com/en/products/5dbc48818b451301014f745a
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have done some research on this and learned that nothing is ideal. When I carry on the bike, I carry in my CamelBak. I have practiced fast access drills. It's not great but not horrible either. The average GMC/Chevy rager/driver is old, fat and slow, so even if your set-up isn't ideal, you'll probably still get the drop on them.

I was sure you were gonna say a ‘cock holster’ is the best.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
My son is an Ironman and avid mountain biker, he carries aG43x in his Salomon hydration vest or an HPG chest rig.

mike r
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Lol

🦫

Can't you make it through one damn post without veiled references to Flave?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Cross Breed builds holsters to your specs needed
Posted By: 700LH Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
A small bag that sits on the frame just below the handlebars with a velcro closer
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22

Lol

🦫

Can't you make it through one damn post without veiled references to Flave?

Flavor is the centerfold for ‘Teen Beat’ magazine this month. I’m just paying homage to his accomplishment.

🦫
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
As in this 45 ACP SA

[img]https://imgur.com/XbOyRdm[/img]
Posted By: tater74 Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by 700LH
A small bag that sits on the frame just below the handlebars with a velcro closer

This
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Do you wear your helmet in your car?

Senna and Earnhardt did.
Originally Posted by 700LH
No! If some thug smacks the snot outta you as you pass by them on a trail, you and your bike are likely to become separated by the time you quit tumbling. Then the thug is on top of you before you can get up or get to the bike.
I watched this exact scenario happen once.
Damn...there is some stupider than usual information on this thread. If you're gonna ride a bike (really ride a bike) you don't want anything touching you...even the seat. Get a rack with some kind of container.
In the East Bay (CA), people were being robbed of their bicycles at gunpoint back in April this year. The thieves needn't worry about any of their victims carrying because it's Berkeley.

A bicycle itself isn't worth using lethal force to prevent the theft thereof, but these thieves were robbing their victims at gunpoint and notwithstanding the need for an opportunity, that kind of menace calls for lethal force to end it. It also calls for the opportunity to create a deterrent by making it plausible that the potential victim has the ability to defend themselves.
No
Originally Posted by Western_Junipe
It also calls for the opportunity to create a deterrent by making it plausible that the potential victim has the ability to defend themselves.

OMG...that makes so much sense.
Posted By: JOG Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Great exercise and easy on the knees. We have a lot of trails so I can pretty much stay off the road but there are some spots where I have to take roads for a short distance.

If you're biking for exercise clothing doesn't really matter. An argument can be made that clothing that makes it more of a workout is better. The only method I get much use from is a belly band and an LCP (7+1). I can also hike up the holster, spin it around backwards, etc. to try and avoid wearing a hole in me. My outdoor bicycling is mostly training for short distance road racing, so I focus on skills with most rides being an hour or so.
Posted By: JOG Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
... a road cyclist that maintains over 30mph...

Road cyclists don't maintain over 30MPH. That's the domain of time trial racers.

Aerodynamic drag surpasses rolling resistance at about 10 mph.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Cyclists??

Prison Wallet Carry.

I believe that's referred to as a charger.
Whatever the best one is for access in the cab of your truck.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
The bicyclists I’ve spoken with try to squeeze it between the two dicks in their mouth.

LOL
Cyclists??

Prison Wallet Carry.

They’d need to experience a vacancy for that to work.

LOL

“No room at the inn.”
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Jag’s best chance of some pussy.

LOL
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by deflave
The bicyclists I’ve spoken with try to squeeze it between the two dicks in their mouth.

LOL

This is about bikes, not "scooters,"
I want to have my pistol easily accessible in case some coal-rolling gaptooth gets too close and bumps me off into the ditch. I want to be able to get off a few rounds before he drives off and gets out of range..

If you’re serious that ain’t smart for a whole host of reasons.

But anyways I have never successfully resolved the carry issue on a bicycle, most times where I’m at it’s hot and I’m wearing a single layer. Plus anything in contact with the body is gonna be drenched in sweat.

I have carried in a handlebar bag, not a real good idea if you need to step into a store or restaurant, use the bathroom etc.

Maybe I should invest in a little flat .380 semi-auto.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Jag’s best chance of some pussy.

LOL

Hey, you've got bananas.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I want to have my pistol easily accessible in case some coal-rolling gaptooth gets too close and bumps me off into the ditch. I want to be able to get off a few rounds before he drives off and gets out of range..

Yeah, I know. The chances for a solid hit are slim, but I might get lucky and hit a tire or something.

Yeah, I know. The chances for a solid hit are slim, but I might get lucky and hit a tire or something.

Even a bullet hole in the bed would make it worthwhile.
Should have bought a Peloton...
Posted By: Mackey Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

This! Thank me later.

Mackey
Posted By: Teal Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

They've stopped making bikes in-house as part of their re-org. Peloton is likely not long for the world as a stand alone company. Would not be shocked if Amazon buys them.
Originally Posted by Mackey

What's the longest ride you have taken while wearing one of those?
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Here's what I use with my AR. I'd like one that I can point to the rear and aim with prisms so I can shoot the offending motorist without turning my head before they hit me.

https://www.grubee.net/products/bicycle-gun-rack

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Never hurts to carry hot. Those camera things are nifty but loose dogs don't care about their picture on the internet.

[Linked Image from ammoland.com]
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

My wife has a peloton, I can ride it whenever I want. Like when there’s a foot of snow and the gym is closed.....
Cyclists who ride faster tend to favor tight-fitting clothing because loose clothing creates a lot of aerodynamic drag. The drag goes up as the square of the velocity, so a mountain biker on a singletrack climb might wear baggie shorts, but it behooves a road cyclist that maintains over 30mph to wear a tight-fitting merino jersey or lycra rather than anything that will act like a drag chute. Close-fitting clothes make it difficult to conceal a firearm within the clothing. Open carry is legal in Colorado except in Denver, but it isn't advisable. If you can't conceal it within your clothes, your choices may be to have it in a backpack, waist-pack, or chest bag or on a bag that's mounted on the bike.

Cycle tourists and bikepackers have the opportunity to take the weight off their body and put it on the bike, but a handgun is one thing that may be preferable to keep on one's person rather than on their bike for the same reasons it's preferable to have it in a holster rather than in the car or a handbag. A body-mounted bag like a backpack may therefore be preferable to a bike-mounted handlebar bag, saddle bag, frame bag, or pannier.

Paul Harrell has recommended his Five-Seven for cycle-touring at least a couple times because of its low weight. I think it's his solution looking for a problem and I've not heard him ever claim to have cycle toured or even ridden a bike instead of driving one of his classic muscle cars.

Riding on the road can be intimidating in our car-centric culture where women and little children get bumped-off with possibly not even a legal consequence to the driver. Nevertheless, bicycling is still statistically safer than driving a car. Want to wear a helmet? Use it in your car where you're far more likely to sustain a head injury, but use it on the bike too because they work. But don't be afraid to ride on the road because the roads weren't built for cars and they don't belong to motor vehicle drivers.

The Google-fu is strong in this one.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
had to smerk at this thread.... has the world gotten that bad out there, we have to be discussing what is the best holster for riding on your bike?

I live in a world that has long since passed me by...

Is a 38 or a 45 recommended as the best side arm to carry when riding your bike?

I'll contemplate this as I go to work and am working today....

But anyways I have never successfully resolved the carry issue on a bicycle, most times where I’m at it’s hot and I’m wearing a single layer. Plus anything in contact with the body is gonna be drenched in sweat.

I have carried in a handlebar bag, not a real good idea if you need to step into a store or restaurant, use the bathroom etc.

Maybe I should invest in a little flat .380 semi-auto.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Never hurts to carry hot. Those camera things are nifty but loose dogs don't care about their picture on the internet.

[Linked Image from ammoland.com]

Velodog pistols...

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/bicycle-gun-the-doggone-history-of-these-pocket-pistols/amp
Originally Posted by Seafire
had to smerk at this thread.... has the world gotten that bad out there, we have to be discussing what is the best holster for riding on your bike?

Depends where you ride, I’m in a big city, I’d love to be able to carry riding home from work after dark but I’m in a high school. A handgun left locked in a vehicle on campus is legal, no practical way to store on a bicycle.
Don't they make a brassiere/holster?
B
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Don't they make a brassiere/holster?

I heard the coal rollers like those.

Lol

🦫
Rectum holster.

Why would your mode of transportation or means of exercise change the need to be armed?
shoulder holster with a lite windbreaker.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/12/22
Cyclists??

Prison Wallet Carry.
HAHA!
Posted By: deflave Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/13/22
Does anybody else find it hilarious that these butt fugks don't carry guns?

LOL
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/14/22
IWB, 3:00 position. I wear jeans or jorts depending on temperature. Majority of my riding is on paved surfaces 9mph~ 15mph, casual riding exercising my goof ball GSP. Fairly comfortable with the proper cant set.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Why would your mode of transportation or means of exercise change the need to be armed?

I smerk in your general direction. But, to your point, seems to me the smaller and more vulnerable your mode of transport the bigger the need to be armed. Why would I carry a pistol in my Doge Ram 2500 but not on a thirty pound bicycle?

Hell, we have bikers stalked by cats around here sometimes.
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/15/22

I smerk in your general direction. But, to your point, seems to me the smaller and more vulnerable your mode of transport the bigger the need to be armed. Why would I carry a pistol in my Doge Ram 2500 but not on a thirty pound bicycle?

Believe the term you are pawing at is actually smirk. When you type it, it doesn't have a red line under which should be a clue.

LOL
I was going to recommend Barnyard Paul to put it in his mouth but your reply is probably more accurate. He probably smooshes it between the two dicks in his mouth.
Originally Posted by KSMITH

Believe the term you are pawing at is actually smirk. When you type it, it doesn't have a red line under which should be a clue.

I believe you missed the fact that it was misspelled as "smerk" in the quote from the previous poster, and I was poking fun at him.

If you read the entire post, that should be a clue.

I believe you missed the fact that it was misspelled as "smerk" in the quote from the previous poster, and I was poking fun at him.

Whatever Homie, couldn't care either way.

Yeah, I can tell by the way you went all spelling police.

So, a chest rig then?
LOL!
Deep concealment fer sure!
Combat cycling is here!

Actually I was thinking something like a chest pouch, not a holster. Like a small Hill People Gear rig.
Turret mount on the handlebars!
No go, I want to be able to shoot behind me just like chase scenes in the movies.
Posted By: BLRNut Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/15/22
Hill Country Chest Pack
Originally Posted by BLRNut
Hill Country Chest Pack

Hill Country, or Hill People Gear?

Yeah, I can tell by the way you went all spelling police.
I think you misspelled your user name. Should have been polesmoker. And don't you dare smerk at me.
Posted By: ribka Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/15/22
https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Pecker-Party-Squirt-Gun/dp/B018GR55AI

When you pull it out your ass, wipe it down good and snap a pic!

I don't think you are dealing with the sharpest marble in the sack.

I don't think you are dealing with the sharpest marble in the sack.
yeah, yeah. Thanks for stopping by and watch out for bumps.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/15/22
Shooting at someone who gets into an accident with you is a terrible idea. Just think how much trouble Zimmerman got into when he shot someone and was justified? You want to shoot someone when your life isn’t threatened.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/15/22

That's awesome!
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/16/22
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Oh my. This is not the kind of cycling I had in mind. This is riot gun territory.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best Holster for Cyclists - 07/16/22
That thing needs a cage.
© 24hourcampfire