Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Lumber? Logs? Firewood? Maybe some plywood?

Have a big saw?
Posted By: fester Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Cut cheese
Posted By: Toddly Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Just a little firewood

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Yes.
Posted By: fester Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Big saw

Pipped a 2’ footer

36” bar

You?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Roundoak cut a lot of wood
Posted By: RHClark Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
I cut timber with a chain saw. Lots of times I cut 6 tractor trailer loads a day by myself, cutting them down and limbing them. I worked 3 skidders and made $100 a day. I doubt that 1 in 10 young men today could have even followed me through the brush all day, let alone done the work.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
MP-32 Cook band mill. It’s been idle for the past year or so. Got some nice pines and a few cedars, so I’m firing it up next weekend.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Lots a firewood
Posted By: Txwildman Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Logging was one of my jobs to get through college and graduate school. Also cut firewood on the side. Still cut a couple cords a year for myself. Logging in the south ain’t nothing like mountain logging. Those mountain men have my respect, but it is HOT in the Texas woods. Had several big saws depending on what I was cutting. Used a bow saw on most of the hot decks in ETX. Most of that stuff is done with feller/bunchers now. I’m personally trying to develop an allergy to chainsaws these days….
Posted By: wango Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
When I was growing up and at home we did all the time for heat . Now I work in a wood yard and make chips .
Posted By: dwiles Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
3rd generation sawyer. I've got a 1950's meadows circle mill powered by a 4-71 detroit diesel we use to cut a lot of lumber for folks around here. Been waiting for a woodmizer that's been on order for close to a year now.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Firewood, but not like you Northern boys
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Toddly
Just a little firewood

[Linked Image from ]

Those stacks are works of art. Beautiful sunset too
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
About 25 years into cutting all my home heating firewood (where the winters are cold and long) I started to feel like it wasn’t fun any more. I started easing out of it. When we moved to SC I gave my sons all my chainsaws along with a lot of other stuff.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Yep when I go to Maine. Nowadays I borrow someones wood splitter.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by fester
Cut cheese

Yep, still do on occasions!
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
I worked in a laminated beam plant for 40 years. I cut a lot of wood!

Our waste kept quite a few homes warm in town with kiln dried douglas fir end cuts! And of course all of the guy in the plant that had wood stoves!
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Life long dependency on wood for heat ...
and a carpenter since '83 ....
in Alaska, so ya .. I cut a fk ton of wood
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Turned this
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Into this in about 18 mos. Cut a good bit of wood to do it.

Posted By: mtj21 Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
9 wagons of split and stacked wood. 4 in shop and double cover others until time to move them in.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
I cut wood for myself . I bunr about 5 cords a year . been burning now for 33 yrs. I figure about 165 cords . I am heating with wood right now with my wood boiler. It is an EKO 25 , a gassifier that burns the smoke. It pulls the smoke down through the hot coals . Then it is 1000 degree gas and then it goes into the lower chamber to meet the air and it looks like a 1"x6" blue torch down there that meets 50 lbs of firebrick. It is very effficient. The hot water then goes through 1,000 ' of pex that is stapled close to the bottom of the floor and makes the floor nice and warm. Google up gassifier wood boiler. It is amazing .
Posted By: PineTop Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Firewood, logs for small bandsaw mil. Nothing serious
Posted By: 160user Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by dwiles
3rd generation sawyer. I've got a 1950's meadows circle mill powered by a 4-71 detroit diesel we use to cut a lot of lumber for folks around here. Been waiting for a woodmizer that's been on order for close to a year now.

Mt Grandpa had a 52 inch Howell 0 with a 671 Detroit for a power plant. The edger was powerd by a Minneapolis Moline tractor as was the planer. As a kid I had unlimited income available to me..........it was just a matter of how much lumber I wanted to strip pile. Those 16 foot White Pine 2x12's coming off the live belt were fun for my 65 pound little arse to pile!
Posted By: 673 Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Did this the other day.....Fell this rather nice Fir onto the road, about 36"-40" at the stump, 120ft-130ft in length, I got almost 3 cords out of it..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I used this stump to hook a yarding block on, then put a 100ft 3/8 cable on it, pull out whatever size lengths I figure I can pull out to the road.
Then made it into this. This is the best time of year for firewood, the logs stay on the snow above all the dirt and pesky rocks.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Heated the house with wood for most of the 80s.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Fell, limbed, bucked, 10-25 trees a year for the last 20 years. For the first 15 of those years I split 4 cords of wood by hand with a maul. Two hand surgeries later and a mad back, I finally bought a splitter. Still do all the cutting myself. As a former forester, nothing better than managing your own forest.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Fell, limbed, bucked, 10-25 trees a year for the last 20 years. For the first 15 of those years I split 4 cords of wood by hand with a maul. Two hand surgeries later and a mad back, I finally bought a splitter. Still do all the cutting myself. As a former forester, nothing better than managing your own forest.

You are smarter than I am. I did 18 cords one winter all cut, split and piled by hand. I like to cut a "patch" each winter to diversify my property and replant in the spring with something entirely different. I have "pockets" of spruce, pine, cedar, oak and LOTS of apples. When I die and someone else ends up with this chunk of dirt they are going to scratch their heads at the timber arrangement here.
Posted By: pal Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
I cut wood...but with precision. smile Still hats off to those of you who do the heavy lifting.

pal, you have far more skill and patience than I do! That stuff is beautiful.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
no brag just a simple yes from me
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Nicked my pecker with a razor once.

Other than that, my dad and I would cut 8 or 9 cords a year. When I moved out, he bought a heat pump.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Yes.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Pal, impressive.
Posted By: CBB Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Started off help pap stack as a young lad, then I was on the splitting maul, 18lb go devil. I still have it. Then he started letting me run the saws.

Now we cut our own wood to heat the house
Posted By: Distridr Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
On my 21st year of heating with wood.
Average 12 cord a year No propane unless I'm traveling for work.
All splitting is done with a maul and a wedge for the tough stuff.
Posted By: blanket Re: Ever cut wood? - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Lumber? Logs? Firewood? Maybe some plywood?

Have a big saw?
Yes depends on propane price
© 24hourcampfire