Home
Wolves were reintroduced into Colorado in December. Four months later, a wolf(s) killed a calf. It didn't take long for the obvious to happen.

The wolf release site is a secret. And the calf kill-site is not revealed. So it is not certain whether it was a reintroduced wolf that did the kill, but, it is not hard to link the two.

The field investigation found multiple tooth rake marks on the calf’s hindquarters and neck, and hemorrhaging under the hide, consistent with wolf depredation,” Jeromy Huntington, one of the agencies wildlife managers, said in a statement."

https://apnews.com/article/colorado...-killed-56066b311f829c39a3945fc9d25a7fa7
It is what they do!

And you can kiss Colorado's elk herds goodbye as well.
They only eat the sick and wounded. Or something like that.
Calf must have been sick/weak/old. According to the Center for Biological Diversity.....
Something else might have killed the calf, any video of wolves killing it?
More to come
Wolves like meat and need to eat
Originally Posted by SupFoo
They only eat the sick and wounded. Or something like that.
If that’s the case, they need to introduce wolves to the White House ASAP !
Calf was sick, week or old? Calf was old? State information on the attack is public information!
Originally Posted by Sako76
Calf was sick, week or old? Calf was old? State information on the attack is public information!
Do they have to tell the truth?
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Calf must have been sick/weak/old. According to the Center for Biological Diversity.....
I always heard that apex predators fed on the aberrant.

We should put about 100 in Central Park, and another 100 on Pennsylvania Ave. The wolves would be fat and happy. And look how much good it would do for the genome of the prey species.
Old, sick, weak, young, unlucky, un-wary, caught at a disadvantage, if they can.

They ain't stupid, they will take low-hanging fruit if they can, but it isn't written in stone.
A phrase Alaskan Guides often use "they only take the sick, the old or the NEAR." Any one with any experience with wolves knows what the are. I've watched a pack kill 13 caribou. I 've been stalked by two wolves with witnesses watching it happen.
The biologist know the truth but can make a life time career of" managing" them. While a guide /outfitter in AK I was told of a number of instances where dog mushers were chased by wolf packs. Speak to people who have lived with them for the truth not " biologists" with agendas
Good wolf hunting
Lj
Being stalked by a pack of wolves isn't necessarily all bad. A nice winter pelt on my wall , and a couple pics of a dead wolf proves it.

It was interesting. smile
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sure ranchers are installing GoPros as we speak.
Colorado didn't give those wolves much of a chance to survive and make more little woofs.

Importing juvies with a criminal record and dumping them during breeding season was dumb for the Lefties but maybe good for the elk and elk hunters.

Those woofs have to hook up and make it another year to form a pack and raise a litter.

Life of a young wolf on it's own is full of challenges and pitfalls. Here's hoping for a positive outcome for Colorado Elk Hunters.
Damn! I know Jeromy! He’s our warden in our unit.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

That mean there are wolves in your unit?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don’t know Jim. He’s out of the Hot Sulphur Spring station there at Byer’s canyon.
We are in unit 18. Two years ago our ranch foreman showed us a video his daughter took on her way home from work up at Walden of a pack on their county road. Big damn bastids. No juveniles. And that was two years ago. But ranch is a good 40 or 50 miles cross country from Walden. At the very least. least.
When Colorado recieved wolves, from our problem wolf packs this was expected. There all problems, those packs were raised in cattle country, and know what dies easy, and tastes good!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5FfjccN7Ec/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
What is the "Agenda ???"

To have Humans removed from the entire West- they work at this 24-7-365 .
LMAO
In about 35 days, those wolves will be hitting the elk calves and CPW will start a five year study to find out why calf mortality is so low.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In about 35 days, those wolves will be hitting the elk calves and CPW will start a five year study to find out why calf mortality is so low.
Like all agencies they won't start that study for at least 5 years. Then wait 5 years before doing anything. Agencies are always late and reactive. Its like they don't care....
Make that the first "documented" livestock kill.
Many are killed, but not documented - the wolf folks won't pay damages unless it is proven ("documented").
If a kill isn't found nearly immediately - no dice!
I would imagine that the ranchers will solve this problem on their own.

more likely why calf survival is so low, and why mortality is so high...

unless your comment is so phrased to show the CPW gets it backwards as well as late?

each wolf pack will consume a mature deer about every other day, or about two mature elk a week.

unless they are consuming fawns and calves, then triple these numbers for the small and tasty..
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don’t know Jim. He’s out of the Hot Sulphur Spring station there at Byer’s canyon.
We are in unit 18. Two years ago our ranch foreman showed us a video his daughter took on her way home from work up at Walden of a pack on their county road. Big damn bastids. No juveniles. And that was two years ago. But ranch is a good 40 or 50 miles cross country from Walden. At the very least. least.

Supposedly, there are no wolves north of I-40.
I know of a few, though - including one I saw on my neighbor's place ~1 3/4 mile west of our mutual fence line.
Wife saw one 2 years previously on our place, and her sister and BIL saw one twice on their place, about 8 miles further east, the same year.
I know some hands that have seen them for years on the Vermejo. Wouldn't put it past Turner to import them.
I have no doubt wolf's without tracking collars will be killed by ranchers. I have seen the same thing in Oregon many years ago while elk hunting, came across a dead wolf that looked to be in his prime that was shot and left to rot, I asked a friend who was from the area and said that ranchers kill them on sight if they are not wearing tracking collars.
There are wolves in southern Wyoming, they are not protected out of the management area in the northern part of the state and can, and have been shot on sight, I know of two killed in Platte and Albany counties. I believe wolves migrated to northern Colorado some time ago, well before the reintroduction, and they will continue to extend their range (nature of the beast). Yes they will prey on livestock, and given they aren’t hunted or harassed they will do so more and more often, to say nothing about their predation of all the ungulate species.Also, though rare, wolves will and have attracted killled and devoured humans. There are a number of documented case in North America, and Eurasia , of wolves stalking and killing humans solely as a food source. Granted , many of those cases were a result of wolves becoming habituated to human activity, but certainly not all. My opinion, wolves should never been reintroduced in the inhabited areas of the lower 48.
Originally Posted by duke61
I have no doubt wolf's without tracking collars will be killed by ranchers. I have seen the same thing in Oregon many years ago while elk hunting, came across a dead wolf that looked to be in his prime that was shot and left to rot, I asked a friend who was from the area and said that ranchers kill them on sight if they are not wearing tracking collars.
need to be killed collars or not. But they probably would seek the death penalty if they caught you. Idiots.
https://www.denverpost.com/2024/04/03/colorado-wolf-depredation-calf-reintroduction-ranchers/

"One of the wolves released in Colorado in December killed a calf this week — the first verified livestock killing by one of the wolves that was part of the state’s voter-mandated reintroduction effort.

A rancher discovered the carcass on Tuesday in Grand County, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials on Wednesday confirmed the calf was killed by a wolf.

Wildlife officials initially refused to disclose whether the responsible wolf was one of the 10 released in the state in December or was one of the two wolves remaining from a pack created by animals that migrated from Wyoming in 2020."

LHS
Just wait until calves are hanging halfway out of the uterus, wolves will have a smorgasbord.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Just wait until calves are hanging halfway out of the uterus, wolves will have a smorgasbord.
In that case, they eat the ass out of the cow and kill her as well.

But in all honesty, that does not take a wolf. Coyotes are quite capable in that regard.
one wolf down, many more to go. They say of "natural cause" of death.
https://kdvr.com/news/local/reintroduced-wolf-found-dead-in-larimer-county/#:~:text=DENVER%20%28KDVR%29%20%E2%80%94%20One%20of%20the%2010%20wolves,it%20%E2%80%9Cbecame%20aware%E2%80%9D%20of%20the%20death%20on%20Thursday.
Was surprised to see in WA that after spending millions and all the hoopla, the indians have killed 22 of them legally.
Ranchers fight back!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LHS
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

But in all honesty, that does not take a wolf. Coyotes are quite capable in that regard.

This^^^ Usually happened at least once a late summer/early fall in our irrigated pasture.
I've not known any of our scrawny southern coyotes to kill cattle, but I shoot them anyway for good measure. I've seen them meandering around our cattle and the cows will watch them without showing alarm. I figure they follow the cows around to eat the yellow cheesy calf doo. A coyote would probably take advantage of a newborn calf if his mama had walked off. Big dogs are a different story, but we haven't had that problem for several years.

If cattle and sheep are available you can just bet the wolves will concentrate on them. Slow footed and easy.

Why don't y'all just shoot them and walk off and most importantly don't talk about it.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Why don't y'all just shoot them and walk off and most importantly don't talk about it.

This shows you have no clue about wolves. Zip

99.9% of fudds living in wolf country will never lay eyes on one, much less have a chance to kill one.

Not surprising coming from a flat lander that thinks a husky looks like a wolf.
Originally Posted by Hastings
I've not known any of our scrawny southern coyotes to kill cattle, but I shoot them anyway for good measure. I've seen them meandering around our cattle and the cows will watch them without showing alarm. I figure they follow the cows around to eat the yellow cheesy calf doo. A coyote would probably take advantage of a newborn calf if his mama had walked off. Big dogs are a different story, but we haven't had that problem for several years.

If cattle and sheep are available you can just bet the wolves will concentrate on them. Slow footed and easy.

Why don't y'all just shoot them and walk off and most importantly don't talk about it. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY LEAVE YOUR DAMNED CELL PHONE AT HOME WHEN OUT WITH YOUR GUN

FIXED IT FOR YOU you owe me. Mb
Mark S

Are you talking place seeing wolves at the Mound, or up on the Mesa?

I would think all of them are north of I-40, unless you are talking about those Mexican Wolves.
Originally Posted by rost495
Like all agencies they won't start that study for at least 5 years. Then wait 5 years before doing anything. Agencies are always late and reactive. Its like they don't care....

rost, They don't care. It's all about that grant.
Don't you know? They are special animals since the goofy movie with Robert Redford. Also they are needed to thin out the herds after the Leftist utopia is mandated and hunting is banned. You won't need guns then either.......
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Very true. Especially calving in the early spring after a tough winter.
They are up to 6 cattle killed so far. Verified wolf kills.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/officials-investigate-possible-new-wolf-depredation-in-grand-county/

LHS
Idaho Shooter: There indeed WILL be changes to the Colorado Elk herds, and none of them will benefit or be positive for Colorado's human Hunters!
Been there done that.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: S.S.S.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Idaho Shooter: There indeed WILL be changes to the Colorado Elk herds, and none of them will benefit or be positive for Colorado's human Hunters!
Been there done that.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: S.S.S.

Chitty elk hunters like Varmintperv always need an excuse for not killing elk.

Wolves have hit MT elk so hard hunters can only shoot 3 a season now. LOL
You can shoot three elk a year if you get a permit for hay-eaters on PRIVATE land, numcall. The wolves have done an amazing job of mowing off the PUBLIC LAND opportunity here in northwest Montana. However, I'll admit it's nice to drive at night and not get a bloody bumper or smashed windshield.
Wrong dumb fugg. 2 on public most anywhere one on private.

Most years I kill just the 2 on public. It’s really not hard.
© 24hourcampfire