Home
Posted By: JD45 Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/27/24
I'd like to hear some stories from veterans here. My Dad is 78 and he never liked to talk about Nam. I know he was in the Navy, stationed in the Delta as a river boat mechanic. He went through the TET offensive. But I don't know much else.

I know there has to be websites for veterans to reconnect. I wish I could find anyone he was stationed with at the time.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/27/24
His time there would be helpful.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/27/24
I think he did the usual one year tour and was gone by summer of 1968.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/27/24
Just a thought from the cheap seats.

Read books and other sources about riverine operations relating to the brown water navy in Vietnam. Don't get too hung up on the time frame or whether they actually served with your father.

Good luck.
My father who served during the Korean war said f em, nobody thru us a parade.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/27/24
My BIL blasted the fuqk out of the VC from a river boat. He told me his crew was to successful and was told to back it down a bit, they all said fuqk it and just didn't report half of what they did.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by 12344mag
My BIL blasted the fuqk out of the VC from a river boat. He told me his crew was to successful and was told to back it down a bit, they all said fuqk it and just didn't report half of what they did.

Why would they be told to "back it down a bit"? Being successful in killing the the enemy is a bad thing?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by RS308MX

Why would they be told to "back it down a bit"? Being successful in killing the the enemy is a bad thing?

McNamara seemed to think it was.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24

McNamara, the Duke of Edsel himself.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
JD45...

Give your dad a salute of respect and a hardy "thank you for your service".

My dad spent 49 months over there flying CIA and Black Bird missions...

Had orders to go thru training and then orders for Vietnam, but that changed...my old man told me to count my blessings.

But being a dependent and around a lot of Vietnam, with people either heading to Vietnam or just coming back,
I'm aware of what your dad and his comrades went thru on the MeKong.

I wish him good health and a long life still. He's not really that much older than I am.
Posted By: poboy Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
The U.S. likes to fight with one hand tied behind their back. mad
Posted By: cowboy77845 Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
I was there. '68-'69. No stories though.
Posted By: victoro Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
This is a pretty good YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@Thevietnamexperience
Posted By: Chisos Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24

And LBJ when he called a bombing halt when we had North Vietnam on the ropes
Posted By: erickg Re: Me Kong Delta 67-68' - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
His time there would be helpful.

Well, he said his dad was there for Tet so I think it's safe to assume circa 1968.
© 24hourcampfire