Home
couple hunting seasons ago i was introduced to them cause a friend of a friend that came out here had one of their spotting scopes and was impressed with it and wound up stealing it for the weekend laugh so last year i bought one, wasnt the high end model the other guy had but it was a hell of a step up from the cheap arse one i had been using....

last summer my wife picked up a Vortex rifle scope that she liked for her 7-08 and i was pissed cause it was clearer than my Leupold i paid $100 more for....and last week we won a Vortex 1000 Rangefinder and Diamondback 10x42 Binocular.....once again impressed with them for the price tag that was on the box....

while i dont have any high end glass to compare them to they seem to be a hell of a value on the lower end of the scale atleast.....we will see how they hold up to me beating the hell out of them tossing them in and out of the truck, im real hard on equipment crazy
I have to agree with ya. I picked up a PST 1-4 for my ar15 and at the range the other day I was able to compare it to the Leupold 1-3 close quarters scope. Can't remember the exact name but in clarity and eye relief the Vortex was 10X the scope.
unfortunately i dont have a ton of spare cash, would really love to do more head to head comparisons but cant swing it.....even my wifes Vortex to my Leupold isnt a good head to head as they are two very different scopes.....hoping they stand up to the abuse my leupolds have taken, if they dont then there is no point....was kinda nice to win the binocs and range finder as im not out anything really to mess with them....and with the spotting scope my previous one was a bottom rung one so anything was an improvement.....
Same warranty as Leupold so enjoy
I bought a nomad spotter from Doug and for $200 it's a damn good piece of glass. 20-30+ is great, north of 40 it starts to get a little grainy and at 60 you need to be right on your target but damn for the money I am very pleased.
I am surprised by vortex scopes as well.....surprised that everyone I get is a piece of crap. I bought two of their lower priced scopes as gifts a while back. One will not adjust left or right at all. You can spin the dial and the crosshairs do not move. One has dials that are acceptable as far as movement is concerned, but when you dial it you cannot tell when the scope is truely bottomed out. About 1/2 way through every revolution of the dial it gets so damn hard to turn I keep thinking it is bottomed out. I think I am done with vortex. I will take a zeiss conquest or any luepy over them anyday.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I am surprised by vortex scopes as well.....surprised that everyone I get is a piece of crap. I bought two of their lower priced scopes as gifts a while back. One will not adjust left or right at all. You can spin the dial and the crosshairs do not move. One has dials that are acceptable as far as movement is concerned, but when you dial it you cannot tell when the scope is truely bottomed out. About 1/2 way through every revolution of the dial it gets so damn hard to turn I keep thinking it is bottomed out. I think I am done with vortex. I will take a zeiss conquest or any luepy over them anyday.

Did you call Vortex and send them back?
I have a Crossfire II on a CZ 455, the bottom of their line that had parallax problems and it took them less then 2 weeks to fix and return it. Very pleasant people to deal with and no questions asked
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe

Did you call Vortex and send them back?
I have a Crossfire II on a CZ 455, the bottom of their line that had parallax problems and it took them less then 2 weeks to fix and return it. Very pleasant people to deal with and no questions asked

No I live near a very large internet retailer who also has a showroom. I buy a lot of glass from them, they will replace or refund with no questions and scope I buy from them.
How are they holding up on some heavy-hitters?
if it is made in china I won't buy it....if given the choice
I remember couple yrs ago Vortex donated optics to a kid or some kind of fundraiser offered here on 24hr.
Originally Posted by eh76
if it is made in china I won't buy it.

What type of electronic device did you just type that on?
A philco I reckon.
My son just shot a Kodiak brown bear last week with my PST 1-4 on a 375Ackley and loved it. Second brown bear Vortex knows of shot using that model and second one using that exact scope.

This particular rifle has maximum cast and does not come up hard, but rather turns you a little when you shoot. He was impressed with seeing hair and blood spray off the back side when he shot. At less than 75 yards it was pretty impressive.

Recoil is there with the rifle, but it is not terrible. There have been well over 100 rounds through it with the Vortex without issue.

The TMCQ reticle is a winner, too.
Originally Posted by jryoung

my iphone which actually has a made in usa sticker on it

if given the choice on any item I will buy American made...that okay with you putzs?
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My son just shot a Kodiak brown bear last week with my PST 1-4 on a 375Ackley and loved it. Second brown bear Vortex knows of shot using that model and second one using that exact scope.

This particular rifle has maximum cast and does not come up hard, but rather turns you a little when you shoot. He was impressed with seeing hair and blood spray off the back side when he shot. At less than 75 yards it was pretty impressive.

Recoil is there with the rifle, but it is not terrible. There have been well over 100 rounds through it with the Vortex without issue.

The TMCQ reticle is a winner, too.

I'm sure you emailed them and made sure they knew all the details......you ever give that guy's stock back?
Some of my friends that have had to send 3 or 4 of them back aren't impressed.
I am five for five without a hitch and a lot of rounds through them...

What sorts of complaints did they have and how many scopes did they go through for that many problems? That seems way out from my personal experience...
I do not require or expect much out of cheaper scopes, but I require more than vortex cheap offerings are giving. I suspect that some of the higher end VV scopes are better, or they would not still be cranking them out.
When a paying Campfire supporter/advertiser is a Vortex dealer and sponsors his on forum, I guess it don't hurt to send a little business his way.

If you are in fact surprised by Vortex Optics, you will soon enter a state of hysterical rapture, be completely swooned by a Simmons wink
When that Campfire advertiser happens to offer just about EVERY brand you can think of it certainly weakens your argument... such as it is...

[Linked Image]

This was the 7th of May... This particular model gets lots of praise, but only, it seems, from those that actually use it...
art
Oh... Like the hat?
I am five for five without a hitch and a lot of rounds through them...

What sorts of complaints did they have and how many scopes did they go through for that many problems? That seems way out from my personal experience...

Worked ok at first the all the sudden would no longer hold zero. In fact they were more than just a little off. That is ok if you're shooting paper. Shooting big brown fuzzy things not ok. Vortex replaced everyone of the scopes with no problem. But Jack decided no more after scope number four.
Great picture!
When that Campfire advertiser happens to offer just about EVERY brand you can think of it certainly weakens your argument... such as it is...

[Linked Image]

This was the 7th of May... This particular model gets lots of praise, but only, it seems, from those that actually use it...
art

I dunno what model he is using but it has to be better than the crossfire series of scopes. Either that or someone does not know chit from chinola. The scopes that I picked up a couple weeks ago were crap for the money paid, a bushnell bubble packaged walmart 60 dollar scope is made as well or better.
Originally Posted by rattler

while i dont have any high end glass to compare them to

Purge some stuff and buy some high end glass. Even a Zeiss Conquest and Meopta Meopro are a step up from most on the market, including the crap leupold pawns off as quality.

If I could go back in time I would have 3 guns. A varmint rifle, medium rifle, and larger rifle, all wearing top end optics. Instead I have a safe full of mediocre crap I keep for sentimental reasons. Purge coming though...
im out of much to purge, that happened a couple years ago due to medical bills, what i have now is what i use regularly....
I got medical bills coming too, really hoping it will ignite the purge.
Not a big fan here. Have shot multiple guns with Vortex scopes and did not care for the glass or eye relief. Did not test the tracking on the variables.

[Linked Image]

art

I dunno what model he is using but it has to be better than the crossfire series of scopes. Either that or someone does not know chit from chinola. The scopes that I picked up a couple weeks ago were crap for the money paid, a bushnell bubble packaged walmart 60 dollar scope is made as well or better.

It is a model they changed the name on about the time I got this one... My box calls it a Viper, but I believe the PST designation is current. It is a better than decent scope and I took off a 3x Leupie which is a scope I really like for big rifles. For big critters up close there is plenty of magnification, even when you use none. And it has spent significant time on an AR15.

I also have a Crossfire II 3-9x40 and a Diamondback and they work just fine. The others are higher end.
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye
Not a big fan here. Have shot multiple guns with Vortex scopes and did not care for the glass or eye relief. Did not test the tracking on the variables.

Which model gave you eye relief concerns?
I have two Vortex Scopes and one is a 2x7 and the other 3x9, both scope are the Viper Series. I haven't used the 3x9 it is still new in the box, but the 2x7 has worked great on my 7x57 Mauser , so far. I thinking of taking the 2x7 and placing it on one of my AR calling rifles .
I'm gonna have to try them.
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye

Which model gave you eye relief concerns?

Honestly I don't remember as I have looked through several as a couple of my friends like them. If I was interested in buying one for myself I probably would have paid more attention. Me and my group of shooting friends are equally split on them. A few guys like them and a few of us really don't.
I hear good things about some of the VV scopes, but it would be my advice not stoop down into their value offerings, you will be disappointed.
My first vortex was early on in their growth as a scope maker. I sent two or three back before giving up. I hear they have sorted out a lot of their issues. But, I doubt I ever buy another.
I have not found a Pacific Rim made scope, not including some of the Japanese offerings from years gone by, worth mounting on my hunting rifles.

I'm sorry if I can't jump on the Vortex band wagon.

That hat is nice, Art wink
Not on the wagon either, especially given the endorsement by the 24HCF resident thief. I tried out the Vortex Viper 8x32 HD as compared to a Leupy GR HD 8x32. The GR HD is far superior.
Does your Son know you're a thief? wink
I have a Vortex Viper HS LR and it has been a good scope for the money I have no complaints. I also own Leopold's, Burris, Nikon's, Zeiss, Swarovski's and probably some I have forgotten about. I prefer Swarovski's and my Zeiss but the Vortex I have works just fine. If I had a complaint it would be the reticle is thinner than I really like.
Originally Posted by okok

Better question... Do you KNOW I am? Or are you just guessing? I see lots of clueless idiots making claims they know nothing about... when more than enough information is out there to realize they have far less than the whole story.

Why would I steal a total POS stock that I would never in a million years consider using? Even after I spent tremendous time making it presentable?

Is your reading comprehension that pathetic?
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not on the wagon either, especially given the endorsement by the 24HCF resident thief. I tried out the Vortex Viper 8x32 HD as compared to a Leupy GR HD 8x32. The GR HD is far superior.

Funny thing... I made two phone calls one day to track your reputation down. First call was to a former coworker that thought he knew who you were. Second call was to a guy he thought knew you... And thinks you are a total POS.

Seems that guy does know you and your business. And he thinks you are a lying, thieving POS.

Of course, I do not know if you are or not, but it sure did not take long to find someone local to you that absolutely detests you and was willing to say so.

"Coddled, arrogant, has-been jock with a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder" was one of the first comments.

Again, he may just have dealt with you on a bad day... but I bet I could dig up more pretty easy.

As you are pretty much clueless in every aspect of what you post I will simply say I will not call you names unless I know they are earned.

On second thought... do your offspring... should THEY be so unfortunate as to have sprung from your loins... realize what a lowlife you are? You do not have the information needed to make your lowlife jab, yet you are willing to make it in public at a very cherished object, my son.

You are only slightly more pathetic than a used and perforated Chicago alley condom.

Take a look at the hundreds of dollars in shipping I have paid from my pocket to send lots of stuff to kids on 24hour. There have been two trips I donated 100% to Hunt of a Lifetime that many here helped fund.

There was the memorial walking path at Camp Tyler in Tyler TX that many here helped with and which happened as a direct result of my efforts. Thousands were raised and an incredible thing happened.

When you think you are worthy of the kind of cheap shot you took please let me know and I will give you plenty more to chew on.

Unsubstantiated hearsay. Unlike the realities with some here who have proven themselves to be shameless liars.
Originally Posted by jryoung

my iphone which actually has a made in usa sticker on it

Strange. Mine says "designed by Apple in California" "Assembled in China"
I've received quite a few phone calls today, so I must state,
I have no vortex optics nor what has been called a pos stock or brand new in the white cartridge trap, that was sent to Alaska, and have asked multiple times for it's return.
If it is/was a pos, then no work should have been started and should have been returned with an explanation, that there are issues with the stock and the requested work cannot be completed.
After several threads calling the party out, and in one of them, very clearly was stated my property was in possession, and might be returned if I kept my mouth shut, or something to that verbage.
As far as I am concerned it is theft and Art is a thief, for still keeping my stock and cartridge trap and making no attempt to return them or compensating me for lost or damaged property thru negligent work.

[Linked Image]

art

Is everybody thinking what I'm thinking? (Look at the beautiful wood on that Model 700...)

Funny thing... I made two phone calls one day to track your reputation down. First call was to a former coworker that thought he knew who you were. Second call was to a guy he thought knew you... And thinks you are a total POS.

Seems that guy does know you and your business. And he thinks you are a lying, thieving POS.

Of course, I do not know if you are or not, but it sure did not take long to find someone local to you that absolutely detests you and was willing to say so.

"Coddled, arrogant, has-been jock with a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder" was one of the first comments.

Again, he may just have dealt with you on a bad day... but I bet I could dig up more pretty easy.

As you are pretty much clueless in every aspect of what you post I will simply say I will not call you names unless I know they are earned.

Guess again bro. That's a laughable, very long reach there. Feel free to PM me about these supposed coworkers I've had, that "thought" they knew me. I guess we can now add "liar" to your list of qualities.
nah. that's not it.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I've received quite a few phone calls today, so I must state,
I have no vortex optics nor what has been called a pos stock or brand new in the white cartridge trap, that was sent to Alaska, and have asked multiple times for it's return.
If it is/was a pos, then no work should have been started and should have been returned with an explanation, that there are issues with the stock and the requested work cannot be completed.
After several threads calling the party out, and in one of them, very clearly was stated my property was in possession, and might be returned if I kept my mouth shut, or something to that verbage.
As far as I am concerned it is theft and Art is a thief, for still keeping my stock and cartridge trap and making no attempt to return them or compensating me for lost or damaged property thru negligent work.

You managed to panhandle for someone to pay your NRA dues, maybe we can take up a collection for you, who's in?
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

[Linked Image]

art

Is everybody thinking what I'm thinking? (Look at the beautiful wood on that Model 700...)

Yes Great Bear and really nice piece of lumber on that rifle. Normally I could give two chits about people taking threads off track but why don't you guys go settle your issues somewhere else. Start a new thread about your issue, exchange private messages for petes sake.....

Guess again bro. That's a laughable, very long reach there. Feel free to PM me about these supposed coworkers I've had, that "thought" they knew me. I guess we can now add "liar" to your list of qualities.

Your reading comprehension ranks right up there with your analytical prowess. The former coworker would be a coworker of mine, not yours...

Funny thing is the more you protest about every aspect the more it looks like Freud had you in mind on the concept of being that which we are most afraid of... or Shakespeare's "Me doth think the lady protests too much..."

Easy bet to win when the noise is so reliable...
I got lucky and got a pretty nice looking piece of lumber in my 700 also, but most likely just a dream I'll ever take a bear like that.

[Linked Image]
The pictured 700 has a Pac-Nor #5 contour SS barrel in 375AI and the stock is Turkish walnut. I built in about maximum cast-on (5/16 at heel and 3/16 at toe) and it swings a bit sideways rather than coming up. Riley had never shot a critter with it and was amazed to actually see the bullet impact and spray from the back side.

He shot it several times to make sure it was really dead and saw every impact. It is a kitten.

I still have a stash of 270gr XFBs for it and they are extremely accurate. It was the rifle I shot a Kodiak bear with when Rick and MuleyStalker came with me some years back. After we killed the bear we had a spot of rough weather and which we hid from in a small bight close to the beach.

Scott and Rick decided to compare Rick's rifle to mine for fun shooting. A couple boxes of my ammo later they decided mine was a lot more fun...

Amazing thing about this bear was a bullet someone else had left in the bear's head long before. It had probably come in from the side, but it broke off a chunk of the nuchal crest, turned into a flattened banana, and traveled forward in the muscle but did not come to rest against bone at all. It was in a large packet of scar tissue.

[Linked Image]

The notch in the nuchal crest is just to the right of center at the aft end of the skull.

[Linked Image]

I am guessing the bullet was about 30 caliber, obviously all lead, and it would not surprise me if it was from a 30-30...

Riley spotted, paddled to, and shot the bear within an hour of starting the hunt. It was his first Kodiak bear.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I got lucky and got a pretty nice looking piece of lumber in my 700 also, but most likely just a dream I'll ever take a bear like that.

[Linked Image]

That is a prettier piece of wood than most!

Spoke to guide from Larson Bay that took 9 bear hunters this spring and they saw exactly two bears, total. The spring was ridiculously late and bears remained in dens for virtually the entire season.

Your reading comprehension ranks right up there with your analytical prowess. The former coworker would be a coworker of mine, not yours...

Funny thing is the more you protest about every aspect the more it looks like Freud had you in mind on the concept of being that which we are most afraid of... or Shakespeare's "Me doth think the lady protests too much..."

Easy bet to win when the noise is so reliable...

Nice try Sticky Fingers, a swing and a miss though.
© 24hourcampfire