Home
There is no method of cooking that will render white elasticin from the rib.
A 5 minute soak in scalding hot salty water will make it peel right of .
RW, he has pulked the silver skin. Hes cutting down behind each rid and pulling the vein out after making a v cut on each side of it.
I don't take the veins out, never have.

What's the point? Been eating ribs over 50 years and never had a problem with rib veins.

I agree. I never saw that before.
I always peel the silver skin membrane off the back of regular and baby back ribs. A paper towel will help grip it to pull it off easier if need be. I never cut the veins from between the bones.
I don't even peel the silver skin. It comes right off when they are cooked. I've done it before and I couldn't tell the difference so I don't see any reason to go to the extra trouble.
I just peel the thin skin. The smoke penetrates a lot better!
Originally Posted by Paladin

What's the point? Been eating ribs over 50 years and never had a problem with rib veins.

Me too
I guess if competing in a BBQ cook off might merit removal for appearance sakes
nope...peel the silver skin....bbq...... eat
Originally Posted by stumpman
I always peel the silver skin membrane off the back of regular and baby back ribs. A paper towel will help grip it to pull it off easier if need be. I never cut the veins from between the bones.

Yepper!!!
I'm in the pull the inside membrane and cook crowd. Never seen them trimmed in the manner shown.
yep. wif mah teefus
Been eating and cooking them for sixty years. Ribs are better with the cellophane intact....more moist.
I use a needle nose plier to pull off the silver skin.
Never heard of this vein thing.
© 24hourcampfire