Home
Driving through the cones can be costly..

Estimated cost to redo this is $10,000+. Payable by driver, or his insurance if for some stupid reason they cover this.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/g...87aafb3-8767-5f2e-a140-ee2eb75d8a81.html
[Linked Image]

Seen things like this a couple of times. Worst was a big SUV hauling a trailer that had gone through construction cones in Omaha and drove straight down probably 50 yards of fresh concrete on the interstate. He sank deeper than this guy did.
No sympathy from me for that driver.
Some finisher is not happy. The old has to be taken out as when it starts to set you break the bonds being made if you stir it. Probably a ticket somewhere in the mix, too.
Yep, they say that since it's next to new stuff and had been setting that they have to let it set, break it up and remove it, then pour new.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Driving through the cones can be costly..

Estimated cost to redo this is $10,000+. Payable by driver, or his insurance if for some stupid reason they cover this.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/g...87aafb3-8767-5f2e-a140-ee2eb75d8a81.html
[Linked Image]

Seen things like this a couple of times. Worst was a big SUV hauling a trailer that had gone through construction cones in Omaha and drove straight down probably 50 yards of fresh concrete on the interstate. He sank deeper than this guy did.

She's lucky the mud still looks wet enough to fix...should the crew decide to.
Yep, they say that since it's next to new stuff and had been setting that they have to let it set, break it up and remove it, then pour new.

Hope they let it set with the idiots car still in it.
Originally Posted by jnyork

I want to point out the Iowa license plate on that car.

Those people are just downright dangerous. grin
Idiot
Out
Wandering
Around

grin
Yep! spotted the plates right away.
Dumb asses abound.
That was stupid .
Had D**N dumb driver go through our cones on to a motel lot we had just overlaid. That was bad enough but she wasn't even coming to the motel. She doing a u-turn.
[Linked Image]
woman, oriental , or black.
after 55 years of rubbing mud as one of my career's don't want to think of how many times this has happened.
best one was just finished a block long sidewalk. we were doing the blocks hopscotch . looked back at the last block done and a little bastid about 6 or 7 was stomping down the length of the new mud and back. chased him off and rubbed it out the best we could. got about to his yard with the broom and he pops out of the hedge with his pants down, mooning me and saying "hey mister kiss my ass!
Just mud..

LOTS of surveyors and other construction workers have been killed by idiots like this.
+1........ Idiots abound; at least nobody got hurt except maybe that idiots bank account but I guess that's the cost of stupidity. I bet in the future that crew pouring the concrete is gonna put yellow hazard tape all along that line of pylons and drums so idiots like that won't get the same stupid idea again.
107mph would have gotten them right through.
They got off cheap.

Several months ago some kids were doing spin outs in one of our parking lots. Ruined the 6 month old elastomeric waterproofing coating (parking structure below). A construction worker happening by saw it, took video while it was happening. Got plates. We reported to police and insurance. Cost to redo the lot $110k.

Two weeks ago, we are redoing the coating. Prep, wear coat, top coat, striping. The crew was just finishing the last 100 sq ft or so of top coat in the 2nd phase (1/2 of lot completed week before) and some guy comes hauling ass through the lot, makes a turn, blows through stanchions and 3 rows of caution tape, drives right into the wet coating, dragging stanchions and caution tape with him. Ignoring yells by crews to stop, he does a 3 point turn around, now with wet elastomeric in his tires, yells "phug you, I don't have time for this", and drives over new cured coating and striping completed the week before, leaving a trail of wet elastomeric tire prints across the newly finished lot, scratches on the Maseratti parked next to the area when the caution tape and stanchions he was dragging were pulled across the hood of the car as he was leaving.

Crews got license plate and pics while it happened. Reported to police. Cost for repairs? Yup, $110k again. Not counting the damage to the Maseratti.

Had the moron stopped when they told him to, they could have cleaned his tires and it would have been half the cost.

Best part is it turns out he is a friend of our Chairman and President. He told him we'd drop the charges, but he would still have to pay to have the lot redone. The other car is his to deal with the owner on.
Originally Posted by Brazos
Just mud..

LOTS of surveyors and other construction workers have been killed by idiots like this.

+ 1
I spent 25 years with TXDOT. I had to spend over 2 years once in the field doing construction inspection. It's a wonder more folks aren't killed than are. When I worked on IH 20 you could not walk more than 10 feet with seeing a piece of a car on shoulder and this went on for miles. We had one fatality and two wrecks in the construction zone on that project alone.

Had lots of vehicles drive through my mainline paving,.... most of the time at intersections as the crew moved to the other side and did not get barricades up.
The one I can't forget was a herd of Finisher BA's inna Buick , drunker than a bunch of hoot owls drove into a 16' slipline paving for a new truck scale on I 55 in Bolingbrook , ILL. We were a union contractor ad the finishers tried to push them out as they were stuck.
I would not pull them out with equipment on the job. Big fight, the Buick had to be hooked out with a tow truck. I was already looking around for another job.......the owners wanted me to make nice- nice.. NO Frizzin' way. But , I was respected enough that I stayed on.

I loved that kinda $hit.... but not at the moment.

Memories... I remember on that job early one Sat. morning I walked a CMI trimmer and paver across 2 lanes through the ditch and across the other 2 lanes . ISP were a little upset ...I had a flag girl slowing traffic down and couple pickups with lights flashing.
ISP were late for the appointed time for the crossing..... I don't wait for cops.

Lotsa stuff i can't talk about.

Probably following the GPS instructions on the car phone...maybe,

or, knowing the way Iowa likes to salt roads, perhaps they just felt the need for a solid undercoat. laugh
Ok, you guys are most likely right that someone was not paying enough attention. There is however the slimmest of possibilities that the driver went into the cones to avoid an accident with the car ahead of them. Could've been the "accordion effect" from many cars up ahead and the choice was new concrete or someone's rear bumper. But probably not.
That traffic control is illegal per the Federal MUTCD ( manual uniform traffic control devices). Can't mix devices....in other words, can't have barrel, barrel, cone, delineator, channelizer, etc. Not to mention spacing, taper length, pre warning signs, and so on. A novice lawyer could have that construction company paying to fix that Morons car no problem. I've sat through hour after painful hour of traffic control training and it doesn't matter if it's an interstate, county road, etc.....better have your [bleep] together because the actual person responsible for setting that up or approving it (i.e. Inspector, foreman, city manager) can be held criminally responsible. The driving public is more retarded than a herd of sheep.
Originally Posted by hardway
The driving public is more retarded than a herd of sheep.

And THAT is a fact!!!!!!
I've always believed that God put sheep on the earth to look for a reason to die -
MUCH of the driving public is a VERY small step behind!
Had he been going 107mph, he'd have made it through.
Originally Posted by kingston
Had he been going 107mph, he'd have made it through.

For sure, there were CLEARLY no workers there at the time.

GTC
Just mud..

Before you want my scalp for azzing around here about this, I'd venture that you perhaps missed this recent thread,.....

Link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12054065/1

as you'll see, MANY hear are in complete agreement with your comment.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Just mud..

Before you want my scalp for azzing around here about this, I'd venture that you perhaps missed this recent thread,.....

Link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12054065/1

as you'll see, MANY hear are in complete agreement with your comment.

GTC

You're right, I had missed that.
Thanks.
Oh gee wiz why is it muddy in the middle of the street????
Stupid biotch- bastad needs to be behind bars with the 107 M P H pi$$head, I would love to have been there , honking and laughing!!! $tupid S O B prob. didn't put the cell phone down long enough to know what even happened!!!!!!!!!
This isn't unlike another idiot driver we talked about here some time ago. She was approaching a stopped school bus in the oncoming lane. To avoid stopping for bus's lights, she went right, over the curb, between some trees, and onto the sidewalk. She drove down the sidewalk until she was past the bus. Luckily, some quick thinking person got it all on video.
There's no way they would have caught her on film had she been going 107mph.
That traffic control is illegal per the Federal MUTCD ( manual uniform traffic control devices). Can't mix devices....in other words, can't have barrel, barrel, cone, delineator, channelizer, etc. Not to mention spacing, taper length, pre warning signs, and so on. A novice lawyer could have that construction company paying to fix that Morons car no problem. I've sat through hour after painful hour of traffic control training and it doesn't matter if it's an interstate, county road, etc.....better have your [bleep] together because the actual person responsible for setting that up or approving it (i.e. Inspector, foreman, city manager) can be held criminally responsible. The driving public is more retarded than a herd of sheep.
It doesn't take too much intelligence on the part of the driver to see that she wasn't supposed to turn there, but looking at the barrels and posts, the spacing and the change from barrels to posts COULD lead a dense person to think that she had an opening into a turn lane. The gap is big enough to drive a truck through.

That's for sure!

Bunch of idiots, all of 'em.

Oh wait........
[/quote]It doesn't take too much intelligence on the part of the driver to see that she wasn't supposed to turn there, but looking at the barrels and posts, the spacing and the change from barrels to posts COULD lead a dense person to think that she had an opening into a turn lane. The gap is big enough to drive a truck through.
[/quote]

Your giving the driving public too much credit, I could tell 20 years worth of stories but I already have plans today. Fact of the matter....even when it's perfect, people still make mistakes.....People in general are NOT trained to deal with even basic traffic control scenarios and that's ASSuming they are even paying attention. We basically plan for the most retarded driver possible and get shown up regularly.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It doesn't take too much intelligence on the part of the driver to see that she wasn't supposed to turn there, but looking at the barrels and posts, the spacing and the change from barrels to posts COULD lead a dense person to think that she had an opening into a turn lane. The gap is big enough to drive a truck through.

Unless the cone that was there, is now under the car.... smile
Guess what you Nebraska boys that have blown out your mouths, it was a Lincoln yoot that was driving the car GFY is in order
Originally Posted by blanket
Guess what you Nebraska boys that have blown out your mouths, it was a Lincoln yoot that was driving the car GFY is in order

Heard that the other day, tho didn't hear if he was a recent import or native.

Regardless, obviously had been taught to drive by the owner of the Iowa car, tho. grin

I don't know the whole story, Could be that a previous idiot had knocked a cone away making it look like an opening for a turn lane or that the construction crew just set it up wrong. Could be the idiot kid saw a slow line of traffic and thought he could cut past on the left. I've definitely encountered plenty of construction zones where I'm going "WTF is this screwy layout and where am I supposed to drive?".

Nobody hurt, so fair to have a laugh.
An article I read said that there was no cone there so he didn't drive over it. It was a large gap but didn't say who was responsible for that. The kid still gets the bill unless he can get a judge to rule otherwise.
A 100 Large to break out a small piece of green concrete like that and re-pour?

I'm in the wrong business!
Damn, you livin in the Bay Area now?
© 24hourcampfire