Home
I'd like to replace the thin Ruger recoil pad on my wood stock M77 Hawkeye to a 1" red pad. I had my .270 rebarreled into a 338-06 and the recoil is a little tough with heavier loads. It isn't as bad as a 338WM but I'd really like a decelarator pad on it if possible. I'd also prefer a red pad to keep the Ruger look to it.

I've seen the thicker red pads on rifles but I don't know if they were grind to fit or if Pachmayer offers a pre-fit in red. I didn't see one on their website so I may be out of luck.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
Check out Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9749/avs|Manufacturer_1=PACHMAYR/Product/D752_DECELERATOR_RECOIL_PAD

Scroll down the red pad is at the bottom. Do some measuring to see if it will fit, w/o having to grind too far into the pad.
Thank you so much!! I sincerely appreciate the help in locating the pad.
No prob. Good luck !
English red pads are skookum....
Originally Posted by ingwe
English red pads are skookum....

How about Irish?
I plan to install one of those pads on one of my #1's. The only problem is that Pachmayr only offers the red pad in medium size. The metal reinforcement in a medium Decelerator is 1.45" wide. A #1 butt stock is only about 1.60 wide at the widest point. Even if it is perfectly centered and you do not take any wood off the sides of the butt stock, you will be very close to the metal reinforcement, and may cut through to the metal. Ask me how I know? OK, I'll tell you anyway. I was installing a medium Decelerator on a Remington 870 butt stock and I ground through to the metal on the side. I ruined a $35 pad. I ordered a size small and had no such problem. I sure wish Pachmayr offered a red in size small. I like the Silvers pads but from everything I have heard about them, they are mostly for looks and don't offer anywhere near the lack of felt recoil like the Pachmayr Decelerators.
© 24hourcampfire