Home
Just that.
How are they marked?
Was a gun shop yesterday asked if the 700’s were from the new company or old stock. He didn’t know, I never handled the rifle but he did say the serial started with RAR
Thanks
I think the RAR is a tip off. Also the new BDLs dont have white line spacers, new ADLs do have jeweled bolts and some I guess are marked with rifling twist rates.
Well if they have a j lock or that little scan chip they be to fawking new for me..mb
The scan thing is a turn off for sure. I have never been a huge fan of 700’s , not sure why. I preferred Model 70’s and 77’s. Although I really like 725’s and 722’s maybe a 721. I happen to have alot of new 308 brass and no rifle for it. A local store has the ADL for $549 and thought about picking one up. I hope the new company is successful by making a quality product
Scan chip? Can someone enlighten me on this?
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Scan chip? Can someone enlighten me on this?

Yeah, me too.
PJ
I believe they're referring to an etched, 2-D UPC type code.
Originally Posted by mathman
Yes, that’s it. Cheapens the look of the rifle to me. Sure its not a big deal nor would affect the function but to me the form is lacking. Im not fond of large billboards on firearms either.
Im still considering buying one.
Originally Posted by mathman
Forgive my ignorance, but are we talking about a QR code here?
It's a QR code, for Quick Response (google it). I don't know if they are specific to that serial number on the gun or if it's just advertisement. I only have 1 receiver that has it and I've never been curious enough to see where it takes me. You scan it with the camera on your smart phone and it opens a web page.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well if they have a j lock or that little scan chip they be to fawking new for me..mb
What about if new enough no J Lock but old enough no QR Scan code?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What about if new enough no J Lock but old enough no QR Scan code?
2004-2014?
Well I probably do have a couple of those a ss in 25-06 no bottom metal Hmm a hb 223 too I guess. I sure do prefer the older ones though..
Mb
Why not just look on the barrel and see where it was made?
Late model are CNC machined and much superior in quality. the did mess up on bolt handle placement making primary extraction almost non existent.
If I were building a rifle I would much prefer the late model receivers to build on.
+1 ^^^^^^^
RAR serial number is the tell for new (post bankruptcy) Remington production. Most recent (pre-bankruptcy) generation of Remington receivers were RR. Not sure when that started, I've got an RR from maybe 2014?
Originally Posted by TX35W
RAR serial number is the tell for new (post bankruptcy) Remington production. Most recent (pre-bankruptcy) generation of Remington receivers were RR. Not sure when that started, I've got an RR from maybe 2014?
That’s about when the RR started.
You can also go off of the barrel stamp code just ahead of the receiver. Should be two letters to signify month and year of manufacture. Ive narrowed down quite a few 700's that way. Never had much luck with just the serial numbers or prefix.
RAR models are the best they've ever put out action wise. If I was gonn build a rifle, I'd buy an RAR model.
Originally Posted by mslund
You can also go off of the barrel stamp code just ahead of the receiver. Should be two letters to signify month and year of manufacture. Ive narrowed down quite a few 700's that way. Never had much luck with just the serial numbers or prefix.

Prefix will get you on paper; date code will bring you into the ring. smile
© 24hourcampfire