Home

For my next hunting rifle, I am thinking about a CZ 550 Hogsback .300 win or possibly with the American style stock. What is the general opinion about these rifles ?

What about tuning them and who is the best gunsmith for this type of work?
My 9.3X62 CZ 550 American is very accurate.
I love it, except it is a tad heavy, and the bolt throw is just a touch rough.
Both "faults" I will gladly accept considering the reliability and accuracy.

Can't speak as to the tuning aspect of the weapon.
I picked up a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .300WM (hogsback stock) in '05 for my first Safari.

My impression..... too heavy, unbalanced, and akin to toting an unwieldy club. Diminished my enjoyment lugging that club through the brush day after day....

Sold it as soon as I returned. Having said that, it shoot very well. Previous owner had already tweaked the trigger and bedded.

For tunning and or customizing.... one would be hard pressed to find better than Ed Plummer of American Hunting Rifles. He specializes in building functional and reliable DGR's on the CZ 550 action.

I had a CZ 550 in .30-06 ... other than being a tad heavy, and that the bolt handle design is bad, the rifle itself was very sound.

The bolt handle design doesn't allow you to mount a scope as low as you'd like to on a hunting rig ... but I've seen a couple of examples where people have had the handle modified to make it 'right' ...

as far as tuning goes, the trigger is easy to tune yourself... some don't like the set trigger feature, and some don't like how thin/narrow the trigger shoe is ... both of those are personal, and can be dealt with ... for instance, the trigger can easily be tuned to practically eliminate the set trigger. The shoe, on the other hand, would require more work...

My CZ was fully free-floated when I got it, but still, I opened up the bbl channel a tad for more clearance, and had it bedded at the recoil lug and tang ... worked up a couple of loads, and got one shooting 168g Interbonds between 1/2" and 3/4" at 100 yards ...

Generally, these rifles don't require much tuning ... simple bedding and a trigger tweak will do it ... Then again, most good factory rifles these days only require that (if anything), and possibly a re-crown ...

I have three...

CZ 550 American 308
CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 SWEDE
CZ 550 FS 7x57 Mauser

I lov'em all!

BUT...

I will re-shape & re-finish each one...

To lighten up the bulky stock and to bring out the natural wood color beneath the ugly factory finish.

Then, have the safety re-worked because it makes somewhat of a loud "click" when engaging and dis-engaging IMO...

All, rifles are very accurate and "actions" were smoothed with some lapping-compound on the raceways.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

Hope this helps some...

one more thing ... if you plan on using a scope on the rifle, DO NOT get the hogsback stock ... get the American style ... the comb is WAY too low for a scope if you use the hogsback ... and due to the issue with the bolt handle that I already spoke of, you might even consider a padded stock pack to raise your cheekweld ...
Originally Posted by WGM
one more thing ... if you plan on using a scope on the rifle, DO NOT get the hogsback stock ... get the American style ... the comb is WAY too low for a scope if you use the hogsback ... and due to the issue with the bolt handle that I already spoke of, you might even consider a padded stock pack to raise your cheekweld ...

+1

Have a 550FS in 9.3x62. Fits me well. Heavy, but balanced in the 20.6" barreled, FS version.

Shoots great.

Can't say as to the other versions; haven't had them or shot them.
I've had one in .270 Win for about 4 years and I wouldn't trade it. It isn't perfect, as with the bolt throw already mentioned, I have a 3x9x40mm on mine and have no problems. If they would make a Monte Carlo stock it would be better.

Very accurate and reliable. Shoots 130 gr Fusion and Nosler BTs in under an inch off the bench.

I hear folks comment on the weight but according to CZ it weighs in at 8 lbs. I hunt from a stand so that's not an issue for me.
What are thoughts about the full stocked Bavarian style stocks? Here in Houston, there is no way I could find a firearm with one, so how do they handle and shoot? Any concerns ?
I have the 550 American in .243. I can agree with others have said in that it is bulky and accurate and the bolt is odd. However, the trigger is a joy and it feeds and extracts perfect which I can't say for my latest Remington or Stevens 200. It is also made of all steel which I like with no pot metal for a trigger guard. The action is forged per CZ's gunsmith, Mike Eagleshield.
They are a bit of a throwback in that I don't find them heavy exactly, just not lightrewight like the trend has been. Consistently accurate, hell-for-stout safe rigs, good standard triggers, excellent recoil pads, include good rings (also hell for stout), a set trigger that is sure to kee pyou grinning at the range, and they have floorplates for emptying the magazine without having to cylce the rounds. Very soft shooting rifles available in good but limited caliber selections with the 6.5x55 being the most intriguing. They don't scrimp on strength anywhere typically use pretty dang good wood though usually hidden beneath a tough finish. Does that help?
I had a CZ 550 Safari American rebarreled to 416 Rem. It has a 24" #5.5 contour barrel and a "bedding bar" epoxied in the fore end to allow the barrel to free fload. With a Leu 1.75x6x32 it weighs 10.5 lbs. While that weight is great for a 416 Rem or 458 Lott (or larger), it is too heavy for a 375 H&H.

I hear the medium CZs are also heavy, and as much as I like the action the weight keeps me away from them for anything but the big DG chamberings on the Safari action.

Becuase of the that I tracked down an SS M-70 Classic in 375 H&H and put it in a McMillan stock. My 375 weighs 9.25 lbs with a Leu 2.5x8x36, which is the weight I like for a 375 H&H.

For typical belted mags (IE 338 Winny and under) I think an M-70, Rem 700, or the Kimber are better choices because of the lighter weights you can get. Now if you don't care about weight and care more about accuracy, then to me that puts you more in the realm of a heavier barreled 700.
I have been toting one of these in 416 Rigby around the planet for some time now. I had Ed LApour in Bremerton WA install a model 70 stle safety and a single stage trigger among other things. I consider the one of the better choices of firearms out there right now.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
They are a bit of a throwback in that I don't find them heavy exactly, just not lightrewight like the trend has been. Consistently accurate, hell-for-stout safe rigs, good standard triggers, excellent recoil pads, include good rings (also hell for stout), a set trigger that is sure to kee pyou grinning at the range, and they have floorplates for emptying the magazine without having to cylce the rounds. Very soft shooting rifles available in good but limited caliber selections with the 6.5x55 being the most intriguing. They don't scrimp on strength anywhere typically use pretty dang good wood though usually hidden beneath a tough finish. Does that help?

'Bout sums it up.... if you add the 9.3x62 into the intriguing category.
I have one that has been bedded, 550
American in 30-06, and it shoot great. Fit and finish is much better than anything else out there right now, CRF, double square bridge reciever, single set trigger, everything is steel on the gun floor plate ext, who else offers all that stuff? I like the weight, I like my guns a bit fat. Yes the bolt is not as smooth as I would like but CZ offers to smooth them at the factory for 65 bucks (I think) but that will take care of it self in time.

There very highly thought of in Africa, one of the better dangerous game guns you can get right now, and there priced right. You can call Mr Tally and get some quick detach rings and still use open sights, nice.

What is not to like? And there the biggest small arms mfg in the world.

As far as the hogsback stock I would say look at the American offerings, much better for scopes with any ammount of power. In Europe, low power stuff is the norm and we like our 4x12's and CZ has seen that and stocked guns just for us.

So get one Boxerdog, have it bedded and shoot the hell out of it.
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
What are thoughts about the full stocked Bavarian style stocks? Here in Houston, there is no way I could find a firearm with one, so how do they handle and shoot? Any concerns ?

Box..,

The Bavarian style stock actually seems to come to the shoulder faster for off hand shooting - the style is definately intended for hunting ,not bench shooting.

CZ makes a fine rifle at a good price. Have not felt it necessary to do anything with mine except scope and shoot.
I've got a CZ 550 American in .22-250

Gun is freaky accurate for out of the box performance and the set trigger is killer. As mentioned, I think the wood can be made to look a lot better than the factory finish. I've also compared the blueing on the CZ to my Savage and the CZ is much "deeper".

For the money, you'll be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck.
Boxerdog,

I'm in the process of having a company called American Hunting Rifles build my go to rifle as we speak.
They do a lot of work to the CZ 550, blueprint the action, rebarrel, fiberglass stock, glass bedd, sights, different trigger, a m70 type 3 position safety.
You might want to talk to Mr. Ed Plummer,he's the proprietor of the company. There is an article on the website from 1999 rifle or handloader magazine, you might want to read.
I can't comment on their work yet, but I'll post a review when it comes in.
With Regards,

These guys: American Hunting Rifles ?
Yep, that is the place.
Do you have any thoughts or experience with them ?
Thanks.
I've had Ed build me two DGR's. First is a .375H&H and the second, which I received a little over a month ago is a .458 Lott.

Fit and finish are superb, and both rifles are attractive. But most importantly, they both function flawlessly and shoot extremely well.
hey that is good news.I was kinda hesitant at first, but after talking to the man, he put me at ease.
I'm not having a dangerous game rifle built first, that'll come later. I'm having a plain jane 30-06 with a fiberglass stock,pac nor barrel in SS, 3 position M70 type safety, open sights with barrel band,non selective trigger, and talley rings.
Looking forward to it showing up.
Regards,
I have owned about a half-dozen CZ rifles in chambering from .22 LR to .416 Rigby. Right now I have three, a .17 HMR, a 550 in 9.3x62 and a 550 Magnum in .416 Rigby. Have also fooled around with maybe 3 others.

In general they shoot extremely well right out of the box. Personally I don't know why anybody would want to rebarrel them unless you want to switch caliber, or you get the odd substandard factory barrel. All the factory barrels I have encountered are extremely good.

The actions have gotten a little rougher over the past few years. My 9.3x62 and .416 are both at least 5 years old and were very slick right out of the box. Later rifles have needed some smoothing. Generally they feed pretty close to flawlessly. The only one I have done any work to is the .416, and that was just slicking up some corners.

Don't know why anybody would want to change the safety. It can be easily made quieter (and is, on some rifles, right out of the box) and it works great. It has all the same functions as a M70 type trigger, but is far less obtrusive.

The triggers are great. If you don't like the set feature they can be adjusted to a clean 3-pound pull and the set feature goes away.

The 550 is a little heavy for standard calibers. It is about right for me in anything from .300 Winchester up. My 9.3x62 weighs 8.5 pounds with a 4x Leupold in Talley mounts--which, by, the way, fits nice and low despite the bolt handle. I believe most of the complaints about the bolt are due to people using the typical modern semi-giant scope.

I hunted with the factory Bavarian stock on the 9.3x62 for 5 years in a lot of places, and found it a very good hunting design. That said, I am having it restocked right now in extremely fancy European walnut by Serengeti Rifles--which just shows what high regard I have for it.

JB

Truth of it is, there isn't any real reason to change anything on the rifle, it's just cause I want to.
I have had enough rifles in my lifetime to figure out my likes and dislikes and decided to get exactly what I want, hence my purchase of this one, done my way.

I came close to putting a down payment on a Hein after getting a quote, and decided the CZ was a better deal.
I'll have another one built in a larger caliber when this one shows up, if I like it.
That'll put me at 2 good rifles to go anywhere.
We'll see.
Regards,
Thanks for the clarification, a good thing since some onlookers here might have assumed there was something wrong with the rifles because you'd had so much changed. I have also often had something done to my rifle just because I wanted to--but what I assume people are looking for on this thread is info about the CZ's themselves.

Good hunting,
JB
My CZ550 9.3 is probably my most accurate centerfire rifle(out of 16) and has not been modified in any way.
Well, I did put Talley rings on it, instead of the rings that were included with the weapon.
I am thinking hard about buying a CZ 22lr next!
wink
rgrx1276,

You'll enjoy your AHR 30-06 built on the CZ 550 action.
I have 2 a 550 in 416 Rigby that has been restocked with a Brockman laminate barrel was cut to 21". The other is a ZKK 602 in 375H&H that is original exept for having had the barrel cut to 21". I am perfectly happy with both of them and performance is flawless for both. I think they are the best buy on the market today in a factory rifle.
Can anyone tell me who might make a stock for the CZ550 with a higher comb? I would like to be able to get a little tighter stock weld.
I have a couple. Both shoot well enough. I agree that the FS stock does not work well with a scope. They are a little rough when new but smooth up nicely with use. They are a little heavy. I do like the set trigger, especially at the range. I switched the stock scope mounts to Warne. The CZ mounts look like they are hacked from a used Mack truck brake drum. I would keep them on my list if buying a new rifle but no to the exclusion of other brands.
FWIW,
This group was fired from my CZ550 American 9.3X62.
No trigger work, no bedding work.
Range was 100 yds, 5 shot group.

[img][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/timdbrose/IMG_0420.jpg[/img]http://[/img]
Good shooting.Now bump it up to print 2 or 2.5 inches high at 100yds...Never know when the extra reach will come handy.
Mr MD

Not trying to start an argument with you, and I might have read something in your post that's not there. But, BD did ask if anyone knew someone,(gunsmith) that would "tune" his rifle if needed in his original post.

Respectfully,
Wow, that's a great shooting rifle. I really like to see round groups as opposed to groups that might be as small, but are strung out vertically or horizontally.
If you have access to a longer range, I find that starting at 200 yards, you REALLY start to see what your rifle is capable of.
Regards,
Thanks guys.
That group was shot not long after I purchased the rifle, have since zeroed it for 2" high at 100yds.
BTW it does pretty darn good at 200,300yds.
How often people forget that larger than .30 bullets will still shoot flat past 200 yards. The .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen were both wrongly accused of being �woods� cartridges and no one touted the long range capabilities of those great cartridges. The 9.3x62 (which is German for .35 Whelen), is an excellent all around cartridge; perhaps one of the best.
You're right, he did. But I do believe tuning is different than rebuilding!

Personally I have never even had to tune any of the CZ's I've owned. They all shot great right out of the box, so I included that info in my post so that he might consider no-tune an option.

One of the things that's remarkable about most CZ's (as well as a few other inexpensive rifles, such as Savage bolt actions) is how well they shoot out of the box, without any of the tuning or tweaking many of us EXPECT to have to do with most factory rifles, including some costing a lot more.

JB
Sounds like what I tell people at the range when they ask me "what is a 9.3X62?"- I say it is a "Germanized 35 Whelen."
cool
Now I need to try some Accubonds and see what they will do.
It is a tough life, being a rifle loonie.
crazy
I scoped my CZ American in 9.3X62, quickly developed a handload, killed a whitetail then took the rig to RSA. Took five head of plains game and would have taken the sixth if the Leopold scope hadn't gone south. Didn't change a thing on the rifle. Maybe I'm too easy to please.
I've recently purchased a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62....so far i like it alot.... the wood and fit and finish is quite good for a working firearm,the barrel is free floated from the steel muzzle cap to thr reciever. the hood is cut out for a fiber optic replacement front sight. adam at CZ kansas city told me to shoot the gun with the loads that i would most likely use with the iron sights as they have different heights available numbered from 1 to 14. my gun came with a number 8 and it shot 3" low with Norma 286 gr. alaskas and 2" low with Nosler 286's. at 70yrds.the replacement front sights are 20 bucks and i'll get a couple just a little higher, probably #10's or 12's. they are available in red,yellow and green. the rear sight looks like a lyman its steel and well fitted. the action is very smooth after i cleaned it,put a little break-free on it and worked it for an hour or two...it feeds loaded rounds flawlessly even upside-down and side-ways. it feeds empty brass right-side up no trouble. i find the weight to be well balanced,near neutral with-out scope...eye alignment with the irons is very good for me...i have a set or warne med. QR to mount a leupold 1.75x6 HD....from what i can guess at this point the balance of the gun should be near neutral at the forward hand, possibly at little forward.the gun came with no rings....the plastic floorplate is going to be replaced by CZ at no charge when you send it to them...unfortunately i have to pay my smith to do the work to change it. the magazine follower is blued steel in my gun. the rear sight notch is a little hard to focus on with my glasses...NECG has a rear peep that fits the dovetail and inlet that is QR....a little pricey but it is a german design...i'm going to try to get by with putting a thin verticle white line on the rear sight leading up to the notch in the rear sight.... at the make-shift range the rifle will shoot 2" groups with irons by two different shooters. the nosler 286 gr. partitions have noticebly more pop than the normas of the same weight.{at 70 lazered yards}.... after the scope is mounted and the front post is changed i will shoot the nosler custom 286's and 250 accubonds at different ranges with and without irons. i'll post again after these simple and inexpensive modifications,,,until then....good hunting....bearit....
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
I scoped my CZ American in 9.3X62, quickly developed a handload, killed a whitetail then took the rig to RSA. Took five head of plains game and would have taken the sixth if the Leopold scope hadn't gone south. Didn't change a thing on the rifle. Maybe I'm too easy to please.

Sounds okay to me!
I would love to take my 9.3 to Africa someday. smile
The 550's Full Stock are solid rifles. They are heavy, triggers are adjustable, the stock takes some getting used to with a scope, and they shoot very well. I have a 7x57, 6.5x55, .243, and some .22/.22 mags all with the European stock.

The 7x57 and 6.5x55 shoot holes touching groups at 100m out of the box. I have not shot the .243 yet, it was replaced by CZ after sent back the original unit, due to receiver to barrel alignment issue, this one I have not shot yet.

For the price point, you get a well made high quality rifle.

smile
I had the FS 308 back when the mag followers were metal, it was heavy for a 308 but shot very well with anything from Walmart that I put thru it, I had to slip on neoprene sleeve and pads to elevate my cheek to be in line with the CZ high scope rings. The Kahles 2.5 x 10 I had on the rifle would have interfered with the bolt throw if lower. It was a good gun but heavy for a 308, the FS was nice but my next one will be an American, I wish they would raise the price $50 and slick it up, go back to metal follower.
You can still get the metal follower and bottom metal as well as the double nut firing pin assembly. Just have to ask CZ-USA and send them your plastic and single nut for exchange.
Originally Posted by 340boy
FWIW,
This group was fired from my CZ550 American 9.3X62.
No trigger work, no bedding work.
Range was 100 yds, 5 shot group.

[img][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/timdbrose/IMG_0420.jpg[/img]http://[/img]

REALLY good shooting. You need to forget the Accubond test. (though they're my favorite)
Shoot whatever did this smile
NICE!

sk
Fosteology, I thought the same thing, but in my last call to them in this year prior to buying a rifle (which I did not buy) they said no more metal followers, I did not ask for the nut. I gave up on the idea. If you have more recent information I can resurrect this idea after deer season!
That group was fired with the 286gr partition.
I don't mind using that bullet at all... grin
Personally I don't know why anybody would want to rebarrel them unless you want to switch caliber

JB,

I just can't think of anyone here on this forum who'd want to do anything like that, can you? wink
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia
Fosteology, I thought the same thing, but in my last call to them in this year prior to buying a rifle (which I did not buy) they said no more metal followers, I did not ask for the nut. I gave up on the idea. If you have more recent information I can resurrect this idea after deer season!

I had them send me a metal follower for a 9,3x62 back in March or April.

Mike Eagleshard their tech. weenie doesn't seem to want to be bothered, and attempts to coup an attitude and "talk down to you". Just have to be firm and adamant.

Try to speak with Justin. He's extremely helpful and pleasant.
I don't think they are all that heavy and I really like the hogback stock.

This is my 550 Full Stock. I refinished it this year.

[Linked Image]
Very interesting replies... seems the CZ 550 in 9,3x62 is quite a tack holer!

On a related topic... I'm in the process of rebarrelling a Brno ZKK600 .270 (integral pop-up peep model) to 9,3x62.

I was hoping to re-use the barrel band front sight, but do not know the 'correct' diameter of the barrel for a 9,3x62 rifle.
I note a few people seem to think the CZ 550 is a bit heavy in the larger calibres...

Could I ask a favour of any owners of CZ 550 rifles... if you could please measure the diameter of the barrel at its widest point just after the knox form, and at the muzzle?

That way I can work out the taper of a standard CZ 9,3 barrel... and its weight. I could maybe get a new barrel band front sight as a CZ spare part cheaper than a NECG replacement?

Thanks for a great site!

TM
Till..,

I wouldn't mind doing that if I knew what a "knox form" is.
LOL!
Sorry Outcast it must be an Australian/British term...

It's the radiused part of the barrel where it progresses from the parallel maximum diameter at the receiver end to the start of the straight barrel taper.
Til..,

OK.
The muzzel measures .610
At the juncture of the parallel section and the begining of the taper it measures 1.950.
These measurements are in American inches. I don't have the formula for conversion into "Knoxes". grin

I suspect the barrel was cut using the metric system, however, I haven't the means to measure metrically.
Outcast

Ah, yes... CZ's are made to metric dimensions.
0.610" is exactly 15.5mm!

Interesting, my existing Brno ZKK600 .270 barrel is 15.1mm or 0.5945" at the muzzle. They obviously use a standard barrel profile so the same banded front sight will fit a multitude of calibres.

I measured a Sako 75 and a Tikka T3 in 9.3x62mm and the muzzle dimensions were 16.69mm (0.6575") and 16.48mm (0.6490") respectively. Still working on the Knox conversion factor wink

The owner of the Sako was complaining it was a bit too heavy to carry up and down hills all day so I'd say the CZ550 profile is about ideal in this calibre.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

TM
Til..,

I did apply the 'Reality' conversion factor to the last measurement:change to read 1.095" NOT 1.95.

1.95 at the chamber would make for a very heavy rifle!

My CZ is a bit heavier than the 'normal' rifle produced here. In 9.3X62 caliber the weight is about right and makes for very comfortable shooting.

Luck with your project.
I have a 9.3x62 American, it is a nice rifle, weight actually isn't too heavy for a medium bore. They are a little to the heavy side in an '06 IMO. Actions tend to be a little rough, but will smooth up nicely. I have never seen one that didn't shoot well, although surely someone has a sour one. They are a nice rifle for the money. Bring back the 7x57 and build a light, slim one in 7x57, 6.5x55, .270 ,.30-06, and what the hell .338-06. While we're at it, put a nice set of express sights on the Americans in 9.3x62.
My CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in 375 H&H should be here in a few more weeks. I was thinking of sending it to Ed Plummer for a bit of work, it's going to be butt cold here for about 3 months so it's a good time to get the work done. He offers a package where he straightens and fills the bolt handle, puts on a Mauser 3-position safety, and replaces the trigger. I was thinking of keeping the set trigger however. Any advice?

Thanks,
Chuck
I have the same rifle and would be interested in a 3 position safety instead of the one on it. I have already bumped it cycling the bolt and unintentionally put it on safe, well kind of. It didnt go full safe and click, it just wouldnt fire until I nudged it forward. Where can I get one?
I know there are some places that sell the parts, Ed Plummer might, he also installs them. Here's a link:

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

I'm a CZ 550 newbie so some of the other campfire members may have more information. I've heard only good things about Ed Plummer's work though ...

Chuck
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Are there any problems with full stocks? I am planning on scoping the rifle, are there any problems with regards to a scope on a full stock?
My experience with CZ is all of one rifle, a 550 Safari Magnum in .375. I glassed the action and forward recoil lug, adjusted the trigger, and slicked up the action. Next came Talley detachable mounts and a Leo VXIII in 1.5x5 with a German #4 reticle. Lord does that thing shoot! I have owned several Model 70 .375s in the past and had beautiful wood on them but could never get them to shoot as well as I wanted so tried CZ this time around. Even sent the stock on my 550 back for a wood upgrade and they really came through. I'm sold on CZ. Even though the rifle is a little heavy it is unbeatable for the price. The local gun shop had a 550 in 9.3x62 on the used rack the other day that was very tempting but I am determined to spend less on guns and more on hunting which may just be the famous last words of an addict. Try a CZ. I doubt you will be sorry.
© 24hourcampfire