Home
Posted By: Northman Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
Having never seen a Winchester in the smaller 222/223 calibers, I am wondering what is done to the rifle from the facotry?

I belive its a push feed (XTR) version, with blind/no botttom metal. Is this possible to correct to a floor plate design?

Do they come with the old style Winchester trigger?

Any known problems with this rifle?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
Have you found one? And if so, where? Id buy an M70 in 222 in a flash!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
I have seen that Winchester/USRA 70 XTR configuration in 222.

I once owned a Winchester/USRA 70 Fwt in 223

Don't know about the triggers.
A friend of mine has two M-70 XTR Carbines with 20 inch barrels, one in .222 and the other in .223. I handled the rifles last week.

I did not know they made a .222.

Doc
Posted By: mart Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
Used to have an old push feed model 70V in 222. It had the standard floorplate and magazine but with a magazine block to take up the extra space in a long action. It had one of the heaviest varmint barrels I've ever seen on a factory rifle and it was a factory Winchester barrel. It was my wife's favorite ground squirrel rifle. It had a standard Winchester trigger and was about the most accurate factory varmint gun I've ever owned. It shot easily under .375 and often under .250 for 5 shot groups. It was heavy though and after we moved to Alaska it never got used and end up getting traded off.
Posted By: drover Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
Back in the 70's I had a Win 70 rifle (22 or 24 inch sporter barrel, can't remember which) factory built in 222. I remember it as having a floorplate, which I believe all XTR's did, it did have the original trigger of course since the only trigger change Winchester has done is on the newer FN model 70's.

They were built on the long action since Winchester was still many years away from making a short action. They used a spacer in the magazine and bolt stop to control the feeding which worked perfectly on mine.

It was a very accurate rifle responsible for the demise of a small truckload of gophers over the couple of years I had it. I must have found something else that tickled my fancy and sent it down the road. Unfortunately with the money situation at that time it had to be done that way - sell one, buy one.

Never did get used to seeing that big action swallow the little 222 case though, but it performed flawlessly I do not remember ever having a problem with it.

drover

Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
Ingwe, I know where there's a push-feed M70 in 222 (factory). How bad do you want it? smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
How bad do I have to want it? shocked
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
I believe there were two versions; a 'standard' and a HBV (varmint, heavy barrel)..

I have a standard in .222. Cap shroud, factory iron sights with hood, blind magazine and that wonderful old trigger..98% or better condition.. This one I'll keep.

About three years ago I sold a NIB M70 HBV in .222 to a guy in another state. I should have kept that one....but it brought $1,000.. Hard to pass that up. smile

Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/09/15
My first CF rifle was a M70A - blind mag, push feed 222. That rifle never did eject reliably. It's MO was to drop the empty case as soon as it snapped out of the chamber. A trip back to the factory did nothing to improve it's problem. It wasn't stellar accuracy-wise either so I let it go.
Posted By: JSH Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/10/15
A friend has a 70 HBV push feed in 222 that shoots amazing. I have the same rifle in 223 and it also shoots great. Old style triggers, of course.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/10/15
The description of the rifle with no floor plate makes it sound like a M670. Had one many years ago, cannot remember the caliber now.

Jim
Posted By: Seafire Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/10/15
I've got a Featherweight in 223, don't think I'll ever give that one up...its a tack driver...do think a 222 would be cool also..

have seen a couple of nice ones...but they were pretty rare I think...
Posted By: DocEd Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/10/15
I have an early 70's, push feed "Short Action Carbine" (roll marked on the barrel with all the other info) in 222 Rem. I have had, over the years 2 more in 222 and 3 in 223. All had release floor plates and old M70 style triggers. I sold them off to friends all except the first one in 222. I had one in 243 and another in 308. Never saw any listing in any catalog for the "Short Action Carbine"
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/11/15
The blind mag version was sold as the 70A. All push feeds built on long actions.

Just saw one this past Saturday at the gun show in 222 in decent shape, asking price $1300. I don't think he sold it.
Posted By: Northman Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 02/11/15
I have found 4 of them, just over the last 2 days. $450-600.

One had less then 20 rounds through it. But that is in Scandinavia.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 03/05/18
My brother has a Winchester model 70A in 222 Remington, sporter weight barrel, blind magazine, walnut stock without black ford end tip. I has open sights. It is very definitely a short action (push feed).

It was purchased new from a gun store in 1979 at a close out. I seem to remember the price was about $165. I purchased a Savage 112JRS single shot 222 Remington at the same time ($200). He still has his Winchester model 70A. I sold my Savage decades ago.

His model 70a is a beautiful rifle. Sub moa accurate with 50 grain spitzers and IMR 4198. He has a Bushnell or B&L Scopechief 6x scope on it. The action is smooth, tight, and is a little jewel. 100% function for operation ( feed and extraction). Nice trigger. He won’t even sell it to ME ( and I ‘ve asked for first chance at it).

It is a sweet rifle. Hope you find one.
The little shop down town had a model 70 .222.. Scope and rather nice wood in the stock.. I am not a 70 man, but it was a push feed.. I am not sure of the price, but can check it out tomorrow if you like..
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 03/05/18
what a nice little treasurer to find, I just lost one a 700 bdl to find a winchester model 70 clalssic in 6.5 x55 swede
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 03/05/18
Originally Posted by Northman
Having never seen a Winchester in the smaller 222/223 calibers, I am wondering what is done to the rifle from the facotry?

I belive its a push feed (XTR) version, with blind/no botttom metal. Is this possible to correct to a floor plate design?

Do they come with the old style Winchester trigger?

Any known problems with this rifle?
In a word - NO... laugh

All I've seen, save one, is the blind-mag version.. Can it be converted? Sure - just need a new stock, bottom metal and maybe magazine adjustment..

I found one about 12-13 years ago, NIB, for sale on Gunbroker.. It wasn't cheap, but I knew it would rapidly appreciate in value.. And it did.. smile
Posted By: erich Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 03/05/18
You mean one of these? This one got brought back from Scandinavia, with the muzzle threaded.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't bring myself to cut the original stock so I dropped it into a synthetic take off that I shortened the LOP and added a target spring to the trigger. What a great shooter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dakotazeb Re: Winchester 70, 222Rem? - 04/24/18
I have a Winchester Model 70A in .222 Remington that I would consider selling if anyone is interested. I purchased the rifle around 1978-1979 and it was been used very little. It has a Leupold M8 6X scope mounted with Leupold mounts and rings. The stock has a few handling marks but is in very nice condition and bluing is near perfect. If interested let me know and I can shoot you some pics.
© 24hourcampfire