Home
Posted By: whitearrow tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
good evening fellas. what are y'alls thoughts on wrapping a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of your rifle during hunting? i am curious as to whether it will bulge the barrel due to back pressure when the rifle is fired. it would be nice to do such a thing to protect the crown and muzzle from debris. what are y'alls thoughts on this please. are there any negative effects to doing this to the rifle?

It would be some bad ass tape or a barrel made from aluminum foil that would bulge due to tape.

Blue tape makes your rifle more accurate
The blue tape makes your rifle shoot harder.
Taping the muzzle absolutely works to keep it clean, and it blows off without creating any unsafe back pressure.

You can wrap extra tape around your barrel so that you have spares after firing. That is what you will notice in lots of the pictures on here of guys out hunting.
Posted By: jimdgc Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
On a recent hunting trip my rifle shot well with black electrical tape, Never had much luck with green or red. Actually, guy I was hunting with fell in the snow without tape and had a mess getting his barrel cleaned out without going back to camp.
so, its a general consensus that a wrap of electrical,whatever color floats your boat,tape will NOT harm your barrel due to any back pressure issue? i've been wrapping for the past couple times deer hunting but haven't fired a shot thru the tape as of yet. i'll tell y'all it does give me pause to shoot thru something over my barrel but i just have to trust you fellas as to not lead me astray.
A balloon in your choice of color will work too.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Blue tape only works on .270's
I've been putting electrical tape over the muzzles of my rifles since the 80's.
Tape doesn't always want to stick to a oiled barrel.
I like to use latex finger bandage covers. They are durable and cheap, good to have in your first aid kit too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BGunn Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by tedthorn

And .350 Rem. Mags

[Linked Image]
If you go to the "Deer Hunting" or "Elk Hunting" forums on this site and just look at pictures, you'll see lots of taped muzzles. Most of the folks I know have used it for years.
I only use 3M black electrical tape on My .300 Win rifles as any colored tape will Change My POI šŸ˜€........Hb
just to be clear. folks shoot thru the tape right? not unwrap when it shooting time? if so i gotta get past that and just do it.
Posted By: 117LBS Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Do it. It works. As far as I can tell accuracy and POI are unaffected. Others have mentioned and maybe someone has taken high speed video to confirm, but I believe that the tape blows off well before the bullet reaches the muzzle. Itā€™s the column of air sitting in front of the bullet that blows the tape away so you are not technically shooting ā€œthroughā€ anything.
I use black balloons (available at party stores), I refer to them as gun "condoms". No adhesive residue on barrel, easy to carry a couple extra ones, never had one come off, but maybe you could tear one up scraping your muzzle up against branches and such going through thick stuff.
I've put electrical tape over my muzzles since the 70's. The air in front of the bullet blows the tape off.
Posted By: ingwe Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Blue tape scares deers...
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Ever have, never will....
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Looks like we have a competition here, one poster has done it since the 80ā€™s, one has done it since the 70ā€™s!!!! Laffin
do y'all tape up your rimfire muzzles also? do rimfires have sufficient oomh to blow the tape off before the projectile comes in contact with it?
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
DOH!! And taking the tag off a mattress will cause it to eat you alive. Sheesh!
Posted By: memtb Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
whitearrow, Have been using it for years, and try to advocate itā€™s use to anyone who will listen. I also suggest, to carry a roll of tape with you... it may not of much importance ā€œifā€ you hunt close to home. But, if you are on an extended outing miles/hours from civilization, electrical tape could save a hunt. Electrical tape can be useful for a multitude of things when your miles from help. A temporary fix on a cracked/broken rifle stock, secure a splint or secure a compress a bandage in first aid use, vehicle repair, etc. Your ā€œimaginationā€ is your only ā€œlimitationā€! memtb
Posted By: Tom264 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I like to use latex finger bandage covers. They are durable and cheap, good to have in your first aid kit too.
[Linked Image]

Cool.
Steelhead sized condoms....
Must be the magnums for him.
Posted By: mudhen Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
OK, I'll play. I started doing this in 1963 when planning for my first Colorado elk hunt. Jake Petmecky, who owned the biggest sporting goods store in Austin at the time, convinced me that it was an absolute necessity when hunting in country that had real snow. Told me tales of several of his customers who had bulged barrels, hunting in Colorado.

Like VAhillbilly, I use only 3M electrical tape. grin
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
These work,
cots
Originally Posted by ingwe

Blue tape donā€™t scares no deers, bullets going through Blue Tape scares deers.

Black tape for M/Lā€™s...

[Linked Image]

Been hunting since 1959, been taping about 4 years now because I fall more these days frown
I've always used blue masking tape because we use it in the lumberyard at inventory time to mark the items you've counted. After inventory there's a bunch of partial rolls left over, one or more always finds it's way into my truck, and therefore on the end of my gun barrel. The one time I didn't I fought to keep the muzzle clear of snow on a late cow elk hunt.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
You're not a real barrel taper until you shoot taped barrel groups to check accuracy! Or is that just OCD kicking in? btw it may change point of impact a half moa on the high side.. Anyways fear not blast away through your tape. I just put a couple wraps half on half off the muzzle, pinch the overhanging bit shut fold it over and never worry about crap falling in when you're carrying muzzle up again.
Posted By: Mauser98 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Strange thread.
Posted By: jwall Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by tedthorn

ha ha.. come on now don't lead him astray. whistle
laugh

Jerry
Whitearrow,

Tape works fine on rimfire barrels, also. No problem.
Posted By: JWD8310 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
I havenā€™t been on this forum long, but it has to be the fourth or fifth time Iā€™ve seen blue tape referenced?
Originally Posted by whitearrow
so, its a general consensus that a wrap of electrical,whatever color floats your boat,tape will NOT harm your barrel due to any back pressure issue? i've been wrapping for the past couple times deer hunting but haven't fired a shot thru the tape as of yet. i'll tell y'all it does give me pause to shoot thru something over my barrel but i just have to trust you fellas as to not lead me astray.

Wrap that rascal. wink

All the cool kids are doing it.
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I havenā€™t been on this forum long, but it has to be the fourth or fifth time Iā€™ve seen blue tape referenced?

It's a Campfire Classic.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2019222/1

Fun starts on page 2, but heats up about page 8.

P.S. Blue tape causes bullets to way over penetrate on deer. Really it does.
Originally Posted by ingwe

No, no NO Poobah!

Deer can't SEE blue tape...
Posted By: JWD8310 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It's a Campfire Classic.

Wow.
come on guys sometimes we gotta have fun. i didn't mean for this thread to be so.......comical. but hey whatever. i got my answers. let the fellas shoot their whiz about 270's and blue tape and whatnot.

IF.....you can get said bullets unboxed...........
Posted By: JMR40 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
I started doing this at least 30 years ago when hunting in rain. But eventually just started taping them before the season and leaving it on there all the time. It doesn't hurt a thing, the air pressure in front of the bullet blows the tape off long before the bullet gets to the muzzle.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Iā€™ve been taping rimfires since the ā€˜60s. Figured if it blew up a 22 in my face it wouldnā€™t be as dangerous as blowing up an ā€˜06 in my face. For a few years after I still didnā€™t want to tape a higher power centerfire simply because I figured all that extra pressure under the tape would make it more likely to blow. After the war I was all depressed and didnā€™t care if I lived or died and so I started taping the muzzles if the big stuff then- figured if god or the devil wanted me they could have me. After I didnā€™t blow up for a few years the depression started wearing off. But I still tape.

Did I win?
Posted By: 175rltw Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
No- none of that was true- I tried taping rimfires up but they didnā€™t have the umph to get the bullet going with the tape on the muzZle. Too much pressure. It would cycle the bolt real Real hard on my marlin 66 and my ruger 10/22 I mean it would fling the empty 40 feet- but the bullet would just be stuck up against the rifling

Then you got all that airpressure built up between the tape and the bullet to contend with when you try to clear it.

Tape is where itā€™s at. If you donā€™t like bore obstructions, or having crud in general sneak into your bore. The only thing Iā€™m particular about with tape is pulling it off the muzzle when I bring a cold
Rifle into a warm house. Bolt gets opened and tape comes off the muzzle
Posted By: foogle Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
I have carried a primed unloaded cartridge and fired it to clear barrel debris. Have also pulled the bullet and dumped powder in the field to blow the barrel out
I don't bother with tape ever since I was told on here that "you'd need a co-signer just to afford the tape". I figure the stuff must be too rich for my blood. laugh
Posted By: Brad Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
There's good evidence blue tape increases muzzle velocity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/sports/olympics/fastest-color.html
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
[Linked Image]

Cool.
Steelhead sized condoms....
Must be the magnums for him.

I use them because your wife LOVES the mini-van, 1 in the front and 5 in the rear
Posted By: Tom264 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Ainā€™t got nothing on the other thread I take it?

Next time you're at the range, shoot a few into a target without tape, and then a few with tape.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
only couch commandos use electrical tape.

Hard Charging Real Men either Duct it or Fuct it.
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

I get better knock down power with green tape.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It was your advice that has me taping barrels for well over ten years now. Thanks never go in the bush without muzzle being taped.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Me too...grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Never had the need to tape a barrel - I just make sure I know where the muzzle is and keep chit out of it.. smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
Never had the need to tape a barrel - I just make sure I know where the muzzle is and keep chit out of it.. smile

Thought the same way till the day I tripped and fell face first in muskeg bog. Up till that point I was 20yrs easy without the tape and no incident.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Me too...grin

[Linked Image]

Thatā€™s ā€˜cause itā€™s a scientific fact that the green tape makes you pull harder on the trigger.
Iā€™ll have to get some of that stuff.....
Posted By: GuyM Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Ya, but you haven't shot anything since then either... wink

Black electrical tape here. Over the muzzle, and a couple of spare wraps around the barrel, and usually a roll of it in my hunting pack. Had the muzzle of my 30-06 taped up most of the time when I was bear hunting in Alaska last spring. Rained pretty much every day. Shot through the tape no problem, as always.

I don't think I ever tried it on a .22 rimfire though.

I need to try some of that green stuff for better knock-down power!

Guy
Posted By: 340boy Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Brad

With no concomitant rise in chamber pressure! Talk about a win-win. grin
Thanks never go in the bush without muzzle being taped.

They make a pill for that, ya know......

Thought the same way till the day I tripped and fell face first in muskeg bog. Up till that point I was 20yrs easy without the tape and no incident.

Last time I planted a muzzle was going head over heels with a fully-loaded pack on a steep-ass muddy slope that had been rained on for three straight days, leading down to the Copper River, returning from a sheep hunt. It was the only way down.

If you've never taken a spill with a rifle on board, you're not trying hard enough. grin
Originally Posted by smokepole

Actually that's not bad.... Made me laugh

Sounds like life in general- just when you think you've got something whipped, it smacks you upside the head! laugh

Thats good advice.

Besides, will a 6.5 Creedmoor even make enough energy to break the tape?
Posted By: taz4570 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Never had any luck with blue tape or blue anything. I keep a good stock of black, red, and yellow tape in the hunt camp. The one year I forgot to tape the muzzle, had a very heavy snowfall one day followed by below 0 morning. Had a bull dead in his bed from prone less than 100 yards slightly uphill from him, but ice in the muzzle caused the first shot to fly almost a foot wide at 50 yards into a fat quakie. The next shot hit a bunch of small quakies and dove into the ground under his bed. That flushed him out real quickly.

Now I make sure everybody is well taped before heading out.

By the way, there is no way tape can "back up pressure in the barrel". The air in front of the bullet blows the tape open long before the bullet reaches the muzzle. I have tested this on the range and observed no change in POI with several rifles.

But these threads are still as much fun as ever!!!
Posted By: StudDuck Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats good advice.

grin And here we go.......
Posted By: las Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It's a Campfire Classic.

That last (overpenetrtion) also is a classic thread(s).

I too have taped muzzles for many years. Valuable in nasty weather, heavy vegetation, or if one takes a header in mud or snow. Blue is the TSX of tapes..... smile

Wearing a lucky shirt doesn't hurt either. Both of which I did (and glad of it when I buried the snowmachine in a snowpit! - the tape that is - lucky shirts don't help at all with that.)

10 days ago, out of Kotzebue, just above the Artctic Circle.

[Linked Image]

A week before - you can see the muzzle tape.

[Linked Image]

Muzzle tape country... try working your way through this stuff - mostly I go around if I can.. 2014 moose was taken at 30 yards on the little snowy ridge, out near the end, in the center of this picture.

[Linked Image]

What color is that pill ?
Posted By: Redneck Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17

I think I've tripped a time or two with a rifle.. Just held it up and out of the way.. Problem solved... laugh laugh
Easier said than done Lee in a bog with a heavy pack on your back. Gotta remember that black gumbo has no bottom and you do your best to float on top and move fast. Rifle was the very least of my concern at that point.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17

Depends on your Boolits... ping pong balls have no chance.

Thats good advice.

Probably not. The 6.5x55 on the other hand...
grin

I think I've tripped a time or two with a rifle.. Just held it up and out of the way.. Problem solved... laugh laugh

You must fall slow and well balanced... smile. And if it's the rifle or a body part gonna get it, the rifle comes second.
Reasoning in line with not using muzzle tape:

I haven't been in a vehicle accident in 20 years - so I don't need to take that few seconds to snap the seatbelt....

I've never had a safety fail, or had an inadvertent discharge so I carry hot at all times...

I have yet to make a girl pregnant, so I don't need a condom. (except maybe for my rifle muzzle).

I don't carry one in the chamber, so I don't need to check it each time I pick it up after an interim....

But I'll use $60/box bullets for that one time in 100 when $25/box bullets might not cut it....

cartridges, that is..... smile. After all, one can't be too careful......
Posted By: Brad Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by 340boy

Figured an engineer would appreciate that!
Originally Posted by BGunn

What color is that pill ?

Don't know, I'm talking wimmin's pills.
Originally Posted by 340boy

Figured an engineer would appreciate that!

Yes indeed!
I've heard that round nose bullets will bounce off the tape and go back into the barrel. Make sure you use a pointed bullet like a ballistic tip or accubond to be sure the bullet pokes through the tape.
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
[quote=mngunhead]I've heard that round nose bullets will bounce off the tape and go back into the barrel. Make sure you use a pointed bullet like a ballistic tip or accubond to be sure the bullet pokes through the tape.[/quote

That's solid advice right there!!! Grin
Posted By: Trystan Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
Originally Posted by Judman
[quote=mngunhead]I've heard that round nose bullets will bounce off the tape and go back into the barrel. Make sure you use a pointed bullet like a ballistic tip or accubond to be sure the bullet pokes through the tape.[/quote

That's solid advice right there!!! Grin

Useing ballistic tips is not solid advice. I always use a bonded bullet such as the accubond to prevent jacket/core seperation. Also if useing more than 1 layer of tape I prefer Barnes bullets because they penetrate tape further than other bullets. Grin

Tristan
Posted By: Higginez Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
Originally Posted by Trystan

Tristan

The gift that keeps on giving.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
When I started hunting with my dad as a small boy we were hunting snowshoe rabbits in waist deep Adirondack snow. About 1945-6. I remember "helping" tape the 12ga to keep out the snow. The same process ensued when I began hunting whitetails but the guns were Dad's 300Sav and my Model 64 32Winchester Special. I thought everybody taped their gun muzzle.
Posted By: shaman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
I don't know if I related this story on the aforementioned thread in 2008 or on another, so pardon me if I'm repeating myself.

My buddy, John, was in Belgium in the winter of 44-45. He arrived at Normandy on D-Day +14. By December, he was north of Bastogne, and lasted until 3rd week in January, when he had to be evacuated for frozen feet. This subject of wrapping your barrel came up at our camp. Jerry had been an armourer in the Marines. Bob was a retired gun editor. We got to talking about preparing for a very wet weekend coming up.

Bob had written and edited for Gun Dog Magazine. Yes, he had tapped a barrel or two, and seen others do the same. Jerry could see no real good coming from it, but did not see any harm. He had rebuilt a lot of weapons that had been out there in the worst of it. John was the only one with experience on long term usage.

"We stopped using condoms," said John. "If we left them on for any length of time, we found the condensation would make our barrels rust."

There was no discussion of blue tape, but I seem to remember that was the first weekend I put electrical tape on the barrel of my Rem 742.
Posted By: wilbilly Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
Does it have to be rainbow colered tape to work for a .270?šŸ˜
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
Anyone have a better tape for super cold installation? I find the cheap stuff doesn't stick to itself well when in single digit temps. Haven't tried the little condoms, do they get brittle when it's "hey baby it's cold outside"?
I use my special order condoms. Great multi-purpose item.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
Iā€™ve been taping my barrels since I joined here. I donā€™t recall when the infamous blue tape thread was but I believe it was before that.

Just this past Tuesday morning I took a tumble with the MLā€™r in hand down a slippery slope and jambed the spout into the snow. I just chuckled and thought of Jeff O.

Good times.....
LOL, didn't read the entire thread but pretty sure it has been mentioned the tape over the muzzle will be LONG gone before the bullet gets there.

I wrap a few rounds of camo duct tape around my scope tubes, don't want it on my barrels.
Originally Posted by wilbilly
Does it have to be rainbow colered tape to work for a .270?šŸ˜

Of course, the rainbow colors of brown, white and red, a shot dead buck deer. cool
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Anyone have a better tape for super cold installation? I find the cheap stuff doesn't stick to itself well when in single digit temps. Haven't tried the little condoms, do they get brittle when it's "hey baby it's cold outside"?

Scotch 3M Super 88+ works much better in the cold than the cheap stuff.
God, I love this forum!!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
A quick wipe with an Alcohol rag to remove exterior barrel oil from the end. Stretch that tape well when applied and it has always worked down to 25 below temp. I tend not to hunt in temps colder than -25 so I can't speak to that.
I really like the blue confetti after the shot....
Posted By: DTJager Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/23/17
I will never again in my life hunt without taping the end with good ole Scotch 33 black vinyl electrical tape. Was sitting while hunting and dropped my rifle muzzle down and ended up with a mud plugged barrel. Thankfully I was able to modify a green branch from a sapling and cleaned the mud from my barrel, then used a disposable glasses cleaning patch to swab out the bore. When hunting out west or with mu .50 cal ML's I always taped the muzzle, but rarely while deer hunting back home. Not any more.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/24/17
good evening fellas. what are y'alls thoughts on wrapping a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of your rifle during hunting? i am curious as to whether it will bulge the barrel due to back pressure when the rifle is fired. it would be nice to do such a thing to protect the crown and muzzle from debris. what are y'alls thoughts on this please. are there any negative effects to doing this to the rifle?

It won't bulge the barrel, however, a well-recessed crown protects the crown just fine. A solution looking for a problem IMHO.

There's a way it CAN blow your rifle up. If you hunt empty-chamber, in the rain, muzzle-down, and muzzle taped, water will get into the barrel through the breech and collect in the barrel. If it freezes, kaboom. Just FYI.
A solution looking for a problem?
It's done to keep [bleep] out of your barrel when actually hunting, Jeff, and it works quite well.
Posted By: memtb Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/24/17
Donā€™t know exactly how he accomplished the feat, but, thereā€™s a hunting video on YouTube showing a rifle ā€œ come from untogether ā€œ ! The hunter was taking a shot, at a moose I think, while being videoed. Shooter survived...rifle did not! memtb
Posted By: dave284 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/24/17
Got a link or know the name of the vid? Was it taped?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/25/17

Join the club! Sure is a lot easier to clean a barrel of crud that isn't it it due to tape, then patching it out after burying the rifle to the action muzzle first.

I put about 10 wraps of electrical tape around the barrel just ahead of the forend tip on every hunting rifle so I'll never be without tape to cover the muzzle.

If you hunt rough country, it's not a question of if, but when when you're rifle will get to interact with terra firma
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/25/17
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
A solution looking for a problem?
It's done to keep [bleep] out of your barrel when actually hunting, Jeff, and it works quite well.

My comment was about protecting the crown. You ain't gonna damage the crown on a rifle I built or spec'd. It's trivial to recess a crown to the point where it'd be virtually impossible, geometrically speaking, to damage it.

Realize that the tape also keeps crud IN. In the case I detailed, water. I've taped a few muzzles; I get it. However if yer gonna really kill it, poke a few pin-holes in it with the tip of your knife so water can drain.

And do NOT use blue tape, smile
Posted By: memtb Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/25/17
If itā€™s warm enough for the water to drain...then you wonā€™t have an ice plug! However, dirt/mud can happen above freezing temps! memtb
Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't...though I do VERY much enjoy Window Lickers' Imaginations and Pretend. Jeff Zero as per always,is on fhuqking fire,shooting both her mouth and Imagination! Congratulations?!? Laughing!

Blue as a whole,keeps Splendid Beasties at bay,especially when offset with differentiating muzzle tape(3M or bust...literally). Hint.

[Linked Image]

Pardon that rifle's shallow crown. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

It's oft handy to use alotta Blue Tape...say when chopping spouts and whistlin' them findings through a chronograph. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never have thought to tape a Rimfire...especially a Vudoo on a dusty summer day,wearing a Bartlein spout. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Or when extrapolatin' a few different .243" bore rifles,on a Dusty Day. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

I've got a "hunch",that I prolly have Splendid Beastie pics capably covering most every muzzle tape color in the spectrum and you gals will haveta pardon shooting more than you could begin to fhuqking fathom.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Merry Xmas.

Laughing!...........................
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It won't bulge the barrel, however, a well-recessed crown protects the crown just fine. A solution looking for a problem IMHO.

There's a way it CAN blow your rifle up. If you hunt empty-chamber, in the rain, muzzle-down, and muzzle taped, water will get into the barrel through the breech and collect in the barrel. If it freezes, kaboom. Just FYI.

Yeah, but if you don't tape, and carry your rifle muzzle up, and an eagle flies over, and takes a dump, and the trajectory is just right, and it's spinning in the right direction, and hits the muzzle just right, and.........
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 12/27/17
Originally Posted by memtb
If itā€™s warm enough for the water to drain...then you wonā€™t have an ice plug! However, dirt/mud can happen above freezing temps! memtb

Temperatures change, though, yeah?

Anyway.... not interested in debating this particularly, just wanted to point out that the combo of empty chamber, taped muzzle, and carrying muzzle-down could have risks. Good hunting!

It also cuts group sizes in half and reduces rifle weight by 2 pounds.

[Linked Image]
Using blue tape I get an extra 25 FPS per layer, so I tape her up but good !

Requires less dope for impact................
Oh. So Blue tape is the secret to getting those Rugers to shoot.
Posted By: las Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Oh. So Blue tape is the secret to getting those Rugers to shoot.

Well, it helps. But a receiver glass-bed/free-float barrel and trigger job (or replacement) does it better. My two tangs, tweaked, shoot 1 1/2 MOA or better, depending. The one (.25-06, 77V) I shouldn't have sold went MOA factory. With neck-sized handholds. Factory ammo went about 5 MOA.

Speaking of tape, after I shot a hole thru mine ( M98) this weekend, I accidentally dragged the muzzle thru the snow. Fortunately, the barrel was also 5 below at the time, and it just tapped out. I was also out of caribou to shoot, so it didn't matter, but it might have.... smile
Tape works and the bullet will never notice it. I like the latex or similar stuff, but I have iron sights on my rifles and they can be a pain when trying to cover the muzzle. Long ago I wrapped the muzzle on a blue steel Ruger and a few days later it had removed some of the finish on the barrel.
It has to come off at the end of the day.
Posted By: las Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18
No, it doesn't. Doesn't hurt tho. I've not noticed any bluing or parkerizing removal from tape on my rifles. My blued rifles were self-blued with Dulite hot salts, the rest parkerized. No problem, even with tape left on there for months.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18
Tape our muzzles always.

We have a couple Montanas set up exactly alike but chambered differently. So I always tape the kids with red & white tape and mine a different color. Plus I found the red and white on the muzzle makes it easier for them to be aware of their muzzle.
WWII British fighter planes had the muzzles of their guns taped to prevent sand, dust, ice, etc. from entering the guns. Not sure about Americans, Germans, etc..
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18
Check my pics, I always "never" tape my muzzles.....

But then again, I always know where my snout is at.... HINT

Never, ever saw more disgusting displays of muzzle-direction-cluelessness than on those proclaiming perfection...

And I will stand 100% on those observations over the last four+ decades...

There was a poster (IIRC, Jim in oregon) who claimed to always KNOW where his muzzle was as he had NEVER slipped, tripped, not fallen in DECADES in the woods.

Hey, some people are legends....
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Never, ever saw more disgusting displays of muzzle-direction-cluelessness than on those proclaiming perfection...

Good for you chief... Iā€™ve done just a fair amount of huntin, with nary a problema, suppose I wonā€™t either...
Originally Posted by ironbender

There was a poster (IIRC, Jim in oregon) who claimed to always KNOW where his muzzle was as he had NEVER slipped, tripped, not fallen in DECADES in the woods.

And for some, "in the woods" means the 200 yards to the blind. If you've never fallen or slipped, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted By: GregW Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/05/18

You shoot Leupolds too right?
Posted By: BGunn Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/06/18

Even the dog can see this one coming...

[Linked Image]

And for some, "in the woods" means the 200 yards to the blind. If you've never fallen or slipped, you're not trying hard enough.

...or at all. wink
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by GregW

You shoot Leupolds too right?

Ya VX 1 4-12 here....

[Linked Image]

I fumbled, falling and stumbling like a dummy outta my box blind for this one too with my leupold, 200 yards from my pickup, boned it out just cause!!! Haha just cause you guys do it, doesnā€™t mean everyone else should follow suit....

[Linked Image]
The one and only time I buried my muzzle in the mud was on the 12th day of a walk-in sheep hunt, coming off the mountain down a steep muddy grade on the only trail after 3 days of non-stop rain with a heavy pack and everything in it wringing wet.

My guide fell too so I didn't feel too bad about it. He also fell coming down a gravel chute with a pack that weighed probably 75% of his body weight. I didn't think to make fun of him for falling though, he probably would've kicked my ass.

I don't understand why not putting tape over your muzzle is such a badge of honor for some guys.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/06/18
It seems like the older I get the more often I take a tumble. This season, I fell once in CO this year on an elk hunt and once while deer hunting in the mountains in SE OK. I'm thinking mountains and old hunters are not a good match. Regardless, 3M Blue Painter's tape has become a necessity. Several years back, before I discovered tape, I tripped and caught myself with the barrel of my rifle (not planned). I didn't have a cleaning rod or patch handy and was thankful for the yuca plant that tripped me up. A stem from the plant made a decent cleaning rod.
The one and only time I buried my muzzle in the mud was on the 12th day of a walk-in sheep hunt, coming off the mountain down a steep muddy grade on the only trail after 3 days of non-stop rain with a heavy pack and everything in it wringing wet.

My guide fell too so I didn't feel too bad about it. He also fell coming down a gravel chute with a pack that weighed probably 75% of his body weight. I didn't think to make fun of him for falling though, he probably would've kicked my ass.

I don't understand why not putting tape over your muzzle is such a badge of honor for some guys.

Oh my, what a travesty!!! Me Iā€™ll just keep on keeping on, like I have the last 33 years....
I fall on my butt more than my muzzle..... I put tape over my azzhole, so as not to get sticks and snow up there.... or let the gerbil out.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I fall on my butt more than my muzzle..... I put tape over my azzhole, so as not to get sticks and snow up there.... or let the gerbil out.

Haha oh shiit!!

Oh my, what a travesty!!! Me Iā€™ll just keep on keeping on, like I have the last 33 years....

Yep, and I'll do the same. Ain't that something.
It sure is!! Why change what works???
That's right. I dont have any gerbils but I'm tired of snow up the ass, so I'm gonna start taping!

Dogshooter has been doing it for 33 years!!
34 years, but itā€™s way drier in Colorado
Speaking of 33 years ago, my how time flys.ruger 77 6mm, 3-9 Burris... first buck, 19 1/2ā€ wide, no jammed muzzles with mud and snow, and no gerbils... haha
[Linked Image]
I cant really claim to "always" do anything. Usually do tape my muzzle though.

Last October I didn't, and sure as [bleep], tumbled off a pile of blow downs and tomato staked my rifle right in the muck. smile

It was pretty well stuffed. Had to hoof it back to camp and ran a rod and brush through it, found a sticker and stuck that on the muzzle.

Im of the cant hurt, maybe itll help train of thought.
There's a lot of stupid little crap that can screw up a hunt, or a hard-won shot at an animal. I tape my muzzle because it is cheap insurance that there's no snow, or rain, or pine needles, or dirt, or anything else in the bore when I shoot.

Yeah, I had to spend a fortune on the role of tape, but a guy can get some real cash from the sale of a kidney. It was worth it.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Yeah, I had to spend a fortune on the role of tape, but a guy can get some real cash from the sale of a kidney. It was worth it.

LOL, don't forget all the time and effort that goes into correctly placing the tape. If you don't do it right, you could blow yourself up. Or kill your pet gerbil.
YOu have to wrap the barrel five times 3 inches below the muzzle with 3m Blue electrical tape , this tends to keep the barrel harmonics to a minimum.

I had a raindrop fall into the barrel last time I did not use tape and POI was affected by a foot.
Iā€™m so scared of poking my muzzle into the dirt, this is the only way I hunt anymore!!! Come to think of it, my boolits, rings/mounts, scopes, oh lord it really is scary shiit!!! Talk about living on the edge....
[Linked Image]
Really buying time here!!!! And the tasco continues to hold zero being bounced around!!!! Oh lord..... haha
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tracks Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/06/18
The guys who don't fall down much must not hunt areas with clear cuts covered with snow.
Step on a hidden snow covered log and more times or not you're going down.
I feel silly sitting on my butt, bolt removed from rifle, muzzle in my mouth blowing out snow, upsets anyone looking on as well.
I use the old black electrical tape.
Posted By: jt402 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/06/18
I normally carry a roll of electrical tape to use as discussed. My ammo and incidentals bag also contained duct tape. I never needed it but one time. We were hunting a large ranch in far west Texas. In the cab of the truck were two older guys. Three of us were riding in back in the bed. Driver spotted a covey of blue (scaled) quail cross in front, and pulled off the graded one lane road. We younger guys bailed out and went in persuit of the quail, actually getting a few.

We got back in the truck, driver backed into the road, then proceeded. I happened to look back and we were trailing what appeared to be oil. I yelled at the driver to stop and kill the engine. Inspection showed a small branch sticking out of the oil filter. The nearest civilization was a mine about ten miles away, a really small town with a convenience store a little under twenty five miles, and the nearest town with a parts house, about sixty five miles. I crawled under the truck and cleaned the oil filter with paper towels then tightly wrapped the filter with duct tape. Luckily, there were two quarts of oil in the back of the truck which got us up to about a quart and a half low.

We headed to the mine which was on the way to either the village or the town. Luckily, the mine was operating a few trucks of the same make and model. The boss miner told us to go to the shop. He called his maintainance man and asked him to fix us up. We got a comped oil and filter change. My roll of " high pressure duct tape" had saved the day. Next evening, the mine folks were invited to our steak cook.

Jack
Posted By: Starman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/07/18
Like a tree falling, if one trips has a negligent discharge and nobody hears it, ...did it make a sound?

Originally Posted by jt402
Inspection showed a small branch sticking out of the oil filter..... My roll of " high pressure duct tape" had saved the day.
Jack

but...Is there any tacticool Bear Grylls type tape than can actually prevent such foreign body penetrating an oil filter?
Iā€™m so scared of poking my muzzle into the dirt, this is the only way I hunt anymore!!! Come to think of it, my boolits, rings/mounts, scopes, oh lord it really is scary shiit!!! Talk about living on the edge....
[Linked Image]

Ya gonna melt ya rubbers!!!

Good for you chief... Iā€™ve done just a fair amount of huntin, with nary a problema, suppose I wonā€™t either...

Not my first rodeo and far from the first time I have heard ridiculous claims...

And the greatest elevation in your state is less than half what is visible from my deck... and less than 10% of what is available in a short drive from home...

Yup, you got it rough there and I see why you do not tape! wink
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/07/18
whitearrow, Have been using it for years, and try to advocate itā€™s use to anyone who will listen. I also suggest, to carry a roll of tape with you... it may not of much importance ā€œifā€ you hunt close to home. But, if you are on an extended outing miles/hours from civilization, electrical tape could save a hunt. Electrical tape can be useful for a multitude of things when your miles from help. A temporary fix on a cracked/broken rifle stock, secure a splint or secure a compress a bandage in first aid use, vehicle repair, etc. Your ā€œimaginationā€ is your only ā€œlimitationā€! memtb

Most excellent advice. I carry a 1/2 roll of scotch electrical tape and used it three times over the yrs, once to patch another hunters broken stock at the pistol grip after he took a hard fall, he was hiking out from his elk hunt thinking it was over. That was 15 yrs ago and we still regularly communicate.

At the muzzle I just use a slip over finger cut from a nitrile glove.
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/07/18

Not my first rodeo and far from the first time I have heard ridiculous claims...

I bet, 17 years on the interweb, 33,000 posts trying to act like the big shot, youā€™ve got some imagination and pretend....

I bet, 17 years on the interweb, 33,000 posts trying to act like the big shot, youā€™ve got some imagination and pretend....

Yeah, you got me figured out there... Good thing PB died and took all my photoshopped images out of public view.

You do not even begin to know how clueless you are. But keep up being the obviously oblivious with the chip on your shoulder.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18
It's so easy and so useful. A few seconds putting it on can save a lot of headaches getting mud out. Almost everything I hunt is a mountain side. Wet leaves and soft earth after a rain makes things slicker than owl snot. A little tape on the muzzle is cheap insurance. I check my zero often and always leave the tape on for the first shot followed by 2 more...I've not been able to tell which shot had tape and which didn't. I can't find a downside to it.
Posted By: Judman Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18
Art you show time and again you got the chip on your shoulder.... I donā€™t use tape, wonā€™t use tape, donā€™t like tape. Got it??? Savvy???

PS, Iā€™ve still got pics after the photobucket crash. Thereā€™s a idea, take a day off bitchin and telling everybody you know everything and figure your pics out... hint
Posted By: jt402 Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18
Not sure about the commodity you asked about, but skid plates help. I had them on a Blazer and have them on my Kawasaki Mule. They are not sure fire, but help. I had a run over limb find it's way to the battery cable on the Mule once upon a time while solo quail hunting. I carry a small tool kit on the machine along with the two kinds of tape.

Jack
Art you show time and again you got the chip on your shoulder.... I donā€™t use tape, wonā€™t use tape, donā€™t like tape. Got it??? Savvy???

PS, Iā€™ve still got pics after the photobucket crash. Thereā€™s a idea, take a day off bitchin and telling everybody you know everything and figure your pics out... hint

The tape issue just shows you are an idiot... the claim to perfect muzzle control shows you are even worse... and proves the chip.

I can only hope you only hunt solo...
Posted By: 175rltw Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18
A few from Artā€™s imagination
Posted By: memtb Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18
I donā€™t have a spare tire....never have a flat. Donā€™t have auto insurance..... No uninsured driver would dare hit me, and I never will have an accident. Donā€™t have health insurance...Iā€™m impervious to sickness or injury. I donā€™t put tape on my muzzle....a complete waste of time and money! I have much empathy for you mere mortals! whistle

The tape issue just shows you are an idiot... the claim to perfect muzzle control shows you are even worse... and proves the chip.

I can only hope you only hunt solo...

Sitka dummy, youā€™re not very persuasive....
Originally Posted by 175rltw

Oh so very very impressive.... a dead moose in Alaska??? Your shiitin me???? Haha god damn

Lost again!!
Dang it. i guess Iā€™ll never be any good at the online.
I donā€™t have a spare tire....never have a flat. Donā€™t have auto insurance..... No uninsured driver would dare hit me, and I never will have an accident. Donā€™t have health insurance...Iā€™m impervious to sickness or injury. I donā€™t put tape on my muzzle....a complete waste of time and money! I have much empathy for you mere mortals! whistle

I feel so humbled in the shadow of your greatness!
Originally Posted by 175rltw

Lost again!!
Dang it. i guess Iā€™ll never be any good at the online.

Don't worry about that loser. He cannot even count...
Wow a simple question turns into an 8 page pizzing contest. Only on the Campfire do we have so many keyboard commandos.
Posted By: memtb Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/08/18

I feel so humbled in the shadow of your greatness!

Sitka, I agree with you....hence the sarcasm toward the ā€œnon-believersā€! I guess sarcasm wasted!
Only on the campfire folks are sooooooooo worried about what others do!! People are funny.

I bet Sitka dummyā€™s wife gets told what she can/canā€™t wear on a daily basis!! Haha

So maybe Sitka dummy will shut his trap. No I donā€™t do it, never have. Iā€™ve hunted numerous states, Canada, 3-4 states a year, live in one of the rainiest areas of the northwest, grew up here, trapping, hunting, hound hunting and have never taped a muzzle, not even on the numerous bucks and bulls Iā€™ve killed with muzzleloaders, in pouring rain. From what I understand it will have no adverse affects on accuracy and firearm performance. So if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and especially use colored tape so the www thinks your cool, or a dumbfuuck, by all means feel free.... buuuuut itā€™s far from mandatory...
Never hunted in the snow..... haha
[Linked Image]

The guide was real concerned about muzzle control too!!! Lmfao
[Linked Image]

Wow, a dink caribou on a guided hunt! Impressive!

I bet he could not wait for you to leave camp...
Jud- i know that the caribou you posted there is a much nicer trophy than the scrubs I posted, and I donā€™t doubt that it was the result of hunt not only more physically demanding than those I posted but also more spiritually demanding- and for your fortitude and skill I congratulate and admire you. The trash I posted was from 2010, 2013,14 and this year. And while itā€™s not a scab on your heel, I just intended to show that Art gets out a little now and again. anyway thanks for the lesson!
[Linked Image]

Wow, a dink caribou on a guided hunt! Impressive!

I bet he could not wait for you to leave camp...

Actually Sitka douche, weā€™re pretty buddyā€™s..... now regale is with how rewarding it is spotting via aircraft and killing.... grin

Iā€™ve heard of that program.... hint
Yep, the dink double shovel mtn caribou that netted awards.... you sound stupid Sitka dummy.....
[Linked Image]
https://youtu.be/3iV8X8ubGCc
Haha fuucking tape bullies!!!
Yep, the dink double shovel mtn caribou that netted awards.... you sound stupid Sitka dummy.....
[Linked Image]

Yup, stick up an "Awards" critter from a race where the biggest run tine to tine with Barren Grounds, but the points required for an award is literally a hundred plus points lower.

More than a few have seen All-Time B&C caribou here... including one in the top 100 all-time... but I don't know a thing about caribou...
Who! Who doesn't want to use the tape!
You obviously donā€™t know caribou like you think calling that one a ā€œdinkā€ dumbfuuck....
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Who! Who doesn't want to use the tape!

Use it now!!!! Haha
Posted By: BGunn Re: tape to protect muzzle??? - 02/09/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Wow a simple question turns into an 8 page pizzing contest. Only on the Campfire do we have so many keyboard commandos.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire