Home
Curious as to what scopes and mounts you choose for your bolt action rifles with iron sights... pics appreciated...
Redfield one piece mount/medium height rings with Leupold Vari-XII 2-7x on my centerfires (Win. M/70's) with the barrel sight folded or replaced with a filler.
thanks, i want to leave the irons as is, which limits options...
M70 30-06, NECG rear, XS front, Warne-Weaver bases, Burris Low Zee’s, 2-7x33:

[Linked Image]
700 stainless built by redneck, 21” 308 Bartlein barrel #2 contour, 1-11 Palma 95 chamber,, mcmillan edge, timney trigger, NECG sights.
Bolt handle screwed down.

[Linked Image]

M70 Stainless classic, 21” 308 Lilja featherweight SS barrel, 1-11, Palma 95 chamber, Mcmillan edge, NECG sights.

[Linked Image]
Kimber Talkeetna with Talley QD medium rings/bases, and Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm with the RZ600 reticle. I had a "cone" cut into the rear ring to match the ocular bell housing to prevent the scope from moving forward. Ultimately I removed the factory sights, cut the barrel back 2", removed the barrel band, installed a front sling swivel stud and haven't looked back.

[Linked Image]
Thats easy....heres a few...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Winchester M 70 SS .375 H&H with factory irons and 3x Weaver.
[Linked Image]
Uno mas...

[Linked Image]
Another...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
wow, beautiful setups.
Win M70 416 Rem with Talley QD's and a Leupold 1.5-5X.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Ruger 77MKII RLS with the factory sights, factory rings and a Leupold Vari X III 1.75-6X shorty scope.
[Linked Image]
My 1903 Springfield with a NECG rear sight, the ramp front sight from the original sporterization and a Leupold Vari X III 2-8X.
Win. Model 70, Douglas SS barrel, .375AI, McMillan stock, 3.5-10 Leupold, Leupold Quick Release base/rings, folding leaf express sight. memtb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1965 Rem. 700 30-06

[Linked Image]Remington 700 30-06 by Brant Lindquist
Typically Swaro or Ziess,

[Linked Image]

Custom Steyr, Mannlicher Classic, 6.5 x 55 SE

[Linked Image]

Sako Bavarian half-stock, 6.5 x 55 SE

[Linked Image]

Sako Bavarian Carbine, 30-06 Springfield

[Linked Image]

Sako Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

[Linked Image]

Merkel k3, 308 Win.

[Linked Image]

Merkel k1, 7mm-08

I am a fan of the Recknagel twist mounts on the Merkel K1 and the Steryr as well as the Blaser style saddle mount on the Merkel k3. Return to zero every time.

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

have recently replaced the Nikon Monarch on the Sako half-stock with an S & B Classic.

ya!

GWB
My go-to rifle for a while. Mauser, .30-06, Lyman receiver sight, Griffin&Howe QD side mount w/re-furbed K2.5. The scope normally rides in a leather shoulder-slung tube. Nothing fancy, but she'll slop 5 into a MOA reliably, and is a joy to carry at 7 1/4 pounds all-up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
BRNO 22F Weaver 2 piece base and rings w/ Weaver K4

[Linked Image]
A few...

Ruger .358 Win
[Linked Image]

Mark X .376 Steyr
[Linked Image]

Winchester .300 H&H
[Linked Image]

Parker Hale .308 Norma Mag
[Linked Image]

Husqvarna .358 Norma Mag
[Linked Image]
CZ .404 Jeffery
[Linked Image]

Kleinguenther .411 KDF Mag
[Linked Image]

BSA .303 British
[Linked Image]

Winchester .225 Win
[Linked Image]
gorgeous rifles and nice setups
Nice rifles, but I don't get having fixed mounts and open sights....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogger
thanks, i want to leave the irons as is, which limits options...

How exactly are they limiting options? Is the scope you want to mount long enough to hit the sight?
Hmmmmm....what happened to those with NO IRON SIGHTS?
As a plus, to lessen the chance of actually having to use the “irons....the wife and I (though she doesn’t have irons) have a back-up scope for each of our rifles. The scopes are mounted in QD’s already zero’d. The scopes travel everywhere with us...a couple of minutes, no tools needed, and we’re back in business!
Mauser 1909. 338 Win mag. Basner stock. NECG sights. Warne QD rings

[Linked Image]

Pre-64 Fwt. 270

[Linked Image]
Hawkeye African 9.3x62

[Linked Image]

FN Mauser 270 (the Burris 2-7 is long gone - it now wears a Nikon 1-4)

[Linked Image]

CZ 550 Lux 9.3x62

[Linked Image]
This may sound weird, but I just can't help feeling that a rifle is naked without sights, scope or no scope.

I always felt when I was out in the boonies that a screwdriver was easier to lug around for emergency use than a whole 'nother scope.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
This may sound weird, but I just can't help feeling that a rifle is naked without sights, scope or no scope.

I always felt when I was out in the boonies that a screwdriver was easier to lug around for emergency use than a whole 'nother scope.

i have the same thought
Originally Posted by Dogger

i have the same thought

If these were in reference to my comment about “always” having the back-up scope. They’re at camp (they live in our camper)...not in the day pack! Even I’m not crazy enough to carry a spare scope in the field. wink The change would take place at camp. The irons will work until back at camp!

That's my way of thinking, too. When hunting, I've always got a leatherman tool in my back pack and figure I could have a busted scope off in 5 minutes or less. I'm not where I can take a photo right now, but my favorite hunting rifle is my early 1980's model 70 Winchester XTR Featherweight in 7x57 cal. Mine is the rarer variant with the factory open sights.

Was hanging out at my LGS yesterday and they had just traded for a pristine old model Ruger Model 77 tang safety model with the red recoil pad. It's a 30-06 with factory open sights that's sure calling my name! crazy
Dealer has it priced at $699 which I think is just a little steep. What say the Campfire Ruger Rifle Collecting crowd ???
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
[Linked Image]
My Ruger 77MKII RLS with the factory sights, factory rings and a Leupold Vari X III 1.75-6X shorty scope.
[Linked Image]
My 1903 Springfield with a NECG rear sight, the ramp front sight from the original sporterization and a Leupold Vari X III 2-8X.

Mike, great looking rifles. Im curious what caliber the ruger is chamber in?

MGunns
My Sako Grizzly in 8x57. It wears a Loopy 2.5-8x36 and shoots 180gn Ballistic Tips with H4895.

Attached picture IMG_1171sss.jpg
Originally Posted by MGunns
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mike, great looking rifles. Im curious what caliber the ruger is chamber in?

MGunns

Thanks for the compliment. The Ruger is a very versatile .308 Winchester.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Husqvarna 1600:

[Linked Image]
S&W branded Husqvarna 1900:
[Linked Image]

CZ-527 carbine:
[Linked Image]

Steyr Mannlicher Luxus:
[Linked Image]

Husqvarna 456:
[Linked Image]
Mannlicher-Schoenauer MCA:
[Linked Image]

CZ-550 FS:
[Linked Image]

98 Mauser:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Joe

Husqvarna 1600:

[Linked Image]

Oh schit, dude. You done killed a chuchacabre.
laugh laugh laugh
Sako Bavarian Carbine in 7mm-08

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Talley QD with a 2.5x8 VX III on Remington Classic in .35 Whelen
Beautiful rifle, great cartridge, fantastic wood..
Custom Ship pre-64 in 338
[Linked Image]
A custom pre-64 M70 in 358 Win. Sights are NECG. Bases are from Micheal Scherz and rings are from Matt Williams. It went to Africa in 2012 and did well with the 200 gr TTSX.

[Linked Image]
a few more!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Nice All! Whish I could figure out how to post pics here.
Since my Heart Attack years ago my brain don`t work
the same,Brain damage the dr.s told me!?
eek
© 24hourcampfire