Home
Posted By: high_country_ No excuses bullets - 11/04/18
I'm new to muzzy hunting, but have built a ton of long range rifles. I bought a cva wolf and was able to get good groups with hornady great plains conicals. I'll be hunting idaho so it is lead, loose and musket cap only. I just had some 495 and 600 gr no excuses show up and am curious if anyone has found any reason not to go with what I would for smokeless rifles....slow it up to under leading velocities and use a wad.

Any ideas on a powder charge of t7 for the 600? I'm thinking 75-80ish.

Any advice appreciated.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: No excuses bullets - 11/10/18
I have heard that muzzies will shoot back if you give'm a chance. Aim small.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: No excuses bullets - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have heard that muzzies will shoot back if you give'm a chance. Aim small.

And the buggers are fairly determined about getting you back for it...

OP - that's a good starting load - most Idaho hunters I know push about the same grains unless the grouping falls apart.

A couple like their doctors enough to push a higher load, but I don't see much increase other than the cussing they do afterwards.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: No excuses bullets - 11/11/18
How do you use musket caps in a Wolf? Thought that was a 209 ignition setup.
Posted By: Overkill45 Re: No excuses bullets - 11/11/18
They offer it in a NW edition
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: No excuses bullets - 11/11/18
Didn't see that on the CVA site. Looks like a good, inexpensive solution for those states. Wouldn't make the cut for our new Mountaineer Heritage season, but my Renegade will.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: No excuses bullets - 11/12/18
I answered my own question. I spanked a dandy group @ 125 with 80grs and a felt wad.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: No excuses bullets - 11/15/18
I like the NE bullets. I use 460 grain NE over 60-65 grains 777 now. Used to use more powder, but really once they get moving thats good enough out to reasonable ranges.

Speaking of reasonable ranges, they will stack them all day long into 2" at 125-135 yds. Thats for like a 700 shot group. obviously not, but it seems so. They are very reliable IME

I dont ever get sub MOA for 5 shots, but I never got anything much over 2" either.

They hit like thor, you dont need to get them going fast, and I've done just fine out to 225 yds with the big ol chunks.

Nice big fat wide soft lead. I have zero complaints with them.
© 24hourcampfire