Home
The 375 Improved thread got me to thinking the wildcatters don't have a corner on the whopper market. It seems anytime a group of shooters gather there's always someone whose feats are beyond the pale.

Ran into a guy elk hunting one year. He began regaling my buddy and me of how he killed a cow elk the year before at 800 yards with his 30-06. He claimed he held just 10 inches over her back.I hadn't developed my finely honed diplomacy skills yet and asked him if he normally zeroed his rifle at 750 yards to get that kind of performance. He claimed he zeroed at 100 yards. Being fairly well studied up in ballistics I mentioned that a 100 yard zero with a 30-06 and 180 grain bullets would give a drop of roughly 20 feet at 800 yards. Of course he was shooting his uncle's special reloads and, "they don't drop much.

Was visiting at the gun counter of a large gun shop with a few fellow hunters/shooters and swapping deer hunting stories. A young cowboy joined the conversation when the topic of long range came up. "Me and mah brother we regularly shoot our deer in the head at a thouuuuuusand yards," he interjected. I suppose he drew out the thouuuuuusand to emphasize just how far a thouuuuuusand yards really is. Dang my lack of diplomacy. It was one of those rare occasions when I actually had a $100 bill in my pocket. I told him I'd put up one of those for every shot he could put in a bushel basket at a thousand yards with his deer rifle if he'd put up one for every shot that didn't make it in the basket. He replied, "I can't do that, it's a sin to gamble. But if you know your rifle you can do it." Gambling is a sin but apparently highly exaggerated hunting/shooting stories are not.

I've run into a ton of similar stories over the years as I'm sure you all have as well. This last one isn't a long range story but every bit as ludicrous.

At a local shop a loudmouth was commanding all the attention he could by telling his stories as loudly as possible without yelling. The story turned to bird hunting. He proclaimed the 20 gauge the perfect upland bird gun because, "it don't hurt the dog none like a 12 gauge when you hit em." Once again my lack of diplomacy showed like too long a slip under too short a dress. I offered to let him stand at 40 yards and I'd launch a few 20 gauge field loads his way and he could tell me if they hurt. "After all, you're a lot bigger than any hunting dog, so if it doesn't hurt them it ought not hurt you," I stated. He didn't seem at all interested in this type of research. I offered to drop to a 28 gauge or even 410. He still wasn't interested. He left in a huff while the staff and remaining customers were chuckling heartily.

I'd love to hear some of your favorite whoppers you've heard.
A former coworker used to brag about how he shot deer from 400 yards with his S&W 44 Magnum, open sights, by aiming "just over the back" šŸ™„

He just doubled down anytime someone called bs on it.

As someone who hunted deer with a 44 mag rifle a few years, I would have loved to have had that kind of magic ammo for it šŸ˜
IME - American hunters, especially in the east aren't all that gifted when it comes to estimating distance. When laser rangefinders came out - suddenly a lot of 300 yard field edges became 150.

I get it - back then. Not so much now.
Anytime I hear the phrase ā€œspecial reloadsā€, I know Iā€™m dealing with someone with no concept of reloading or ballistics.
Originally Posted by Teal
IME - American hunters, especially in the east aren't all that gifted when it comes to estimating distance. When laser rangefinders came out - suddenly a lot of 300 yard field edges became 150.

Range finders, chronographs and bore scopes have broke a lot of hearts.
A guest of another member showed up at deer camp with a 300 RUM AI. Yes, has said it was an Ackley Improved Ultra Mag. I asked to see some of his handloads but he only shot factory ammo. You see, during the process of firing the case forms to the sharp shouldered Ackley shape which is so much more efficient that he picks up a couple hundred fps over the same ammo fired in the original chamber.

As John Lovitz would say, yeah, that's the ticket.
When I was a sniper on our tactical team there was a guy from our corrections side of the agency who kept bragging about shooting his isued open sighted AR (Army) at 1000 yards. I asked him if he was on the Army Marksminship team and said nope he just did it for fun when he was at the Army range to qual. So after the thrid time of hearing this, I asked him to show me what he could do at our agency range, 300 yard line with an open sightes AR. He said he would bring his rifle the next time he came to the range to shoot. Never saw there again! I guess he decided not to show me what he could do. Wow I guess I scared him off.
Lots of "blue sky" and "tall tales" among shooters until challenged.

BTW, swaplord has a pile of "go large" wildcats. I personally have no use but am intrigued non the less.
Originally Posted by OGB

BTW, swaplord has a pile of "go large" wildcats. I personally have no use but am intrigued non the less.

You mean you're not "ghosting shit" with a 338 Megawank or a 416 Hamsplitter? grin
Originally Posted by mathman
A guest of another member showed up at deer camp with a 300 RUM AI. Yes, has said it was an Ackley Improved Ultra Mag. I asked to see some of his handloads but he only shot factory ammo. You see, during the process of firing the case forms to the sharp shouldered Ackley shape which is so much more efficient that he picks up a couple hundred fps over the same ammo fired in the original chamber.

As John Lovitz would say, yeah, that's the ticket.

That's the best one yet that I've heard or even read about.

AI efficiency must be truly amazing
Originally Posted by OGB

You mean you're not "ghosting shit" with a 338 Megawank or a 416 Hamsplitter? grin

Not yet.......

But it does sound fun!
While buying handloading components at sportsmans warehouse, Meridian,ID. a guy named Ready told me that he killed an elk at 700 yards. I asked what rifle he did it with, a borrowed 30-06 pump. ? . That's all he knew. I asked if it 'ranged' exactly 700 yards? he gave me an annoyed look and told me he was really good at guessing distance. smile .

What bullet did you use? He said he only had 4 rounds, 2 regulars, 1 round nose, 1 hp. First shot he used the hp, hollow point. Me] did you dial the yardage or hold over? I held right at the top of its back and hit it. Then shot a 'regular' and it was a dud, shot again and missed, down to 1 round, ran after the wounded elk and finished it off with the round nose.

Another fellow I had a gun conversation with told me of his grandpaw shooting and striking matches that were taped to a fencepost out to 500 yards. Lit 5 matches 100 - 500 yards with 5 shots. I said WOW those old timers knew how to shoot and went on about my business.

Ever notice that when people know you know your stuff about firearms and ballistics they start trying to impress you ?
A guy I knew heard me talk about custom rifles I owned, all the sudden he knew ALL ABOUT custom rifles, told me of a Mossberg that came from the factory a '''custom rifle''' LAF
416hamsplitter LOL

Mathman>funny.
Had a friend that owned a small archery shop that would brag about some feat he did. Every time I'd call BS and put some money down he would turn around a do it. Guess it's not BS if you can do it. Didn't take me very long to quit calling him out.
Took me a long time to not follow up with the BSā€™ers. For a while it was fun to let them verbally hang themselves. Now I donā€™t have time nor the patience. Some of the worst ones are the sales idiots behind the counter.

GreggH
Years ago I used to take some guys from work to my range. It was amazing how many scopes were "broke " or loose or I brought the wrong ammo stories I heard.

One guy who could bust milk jugs @ 800 yards with an iron sighted thutty thutty off the hood of his truck could not hit a Redfield sight in target off the bench at 300 yards. I mean literally couldn't touch it. This was with a stainless model 70 Classic in 30-06. I shot just under MOA with the rifle @ 100 the same day. He put the rifle in the case because the "scope must be broken".
I had a life sized paper deer target and some of those guys couldn't hit that @ 200 yards off the bench. Ol' "Bucky" the target closed a lot of mouths.

The best was to blow up balloons to about the size of a soccer ball and watch guys shoot a whole box of ammo and never bust a balloon off hand @ 100 yards.
Those experiences led me to saying most rifles are way more accurate than the person pulling the trigger .
Local range had a 200yd silhouette league. "No-Magnums" unless you loaded down to under 3K FPS. Someone unaware of the no-magnum policy shows up w/his rifle and some handloads. Doesn't know velocity so the guy who'd organize the matches says:

"Shoot one of the rams and we'll take a look at the target damage".

10-12 shots later he hadn't hit a ram yet.

"Let him shoot." is all that was ever said.
This isn't long range, but I did have two fellas out last June to shoot their new rifles. 6" groups at 100 yards from the bench were the norm. Both said they are better shots at game than paper.
Funny how most people are able to separate the truth from the BS when they hear it. Some people just cannot turn off the BS!
A coworker said his dad bought a 7mm SuperBoomer of some sort, "Sumbitch shoots so flat the bullet never drops!" Sounded dangerous to me, bullet could circumnavigate the globe and hit you in the ass.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
This isn't long range, but I did have two fellas out last June to shoot their new rifles. 6" groups at 100 yards from the bench were the norm. Both said they are better shots at game than paper.

Another timeless classic. ā€œIā€™m not good on paper but Iā€™m a great game shot.ā€ Or, ā€œI canā€™t shoot them clay pigeons very good but Iā€™m deadly on live birds.ā€
"I sight my rifle on deer. I don't have to shoot targets" -- Then a target was set up at 25 yards and he couldn't hit it.
Life is just too short to deal with these people. I just walk away while they're still talking.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Bugger
"I sight my rifle on deer. I don't have to shoot targets" -- Then a target was set up at 25 yards and he couldn't hit it.

These are great one reminds me of another incident with shooters.

I was working the public sight in days as a range officer at a small club. They did it a couple Saturdays prior to deer season. Man, it was scary as a range officer to watch some of these guys. I had two guys shooting at the 200 yard gong, resting on the bench rest table on their elbows. They did have a spotting scope. The spotter would call out the miss and they'd make adjustments. Two boxes of ammo into this "sight in" I couldn't take it any longer and suggested they set up a target at 25 yards and get on paper, move to 100 and makes their fine adjustments and then shoot at the 200 yard gong. They looked at me like I was an idiot and very condescendingly informed me they had no intention of shooting a deer at 25 or 100 yards and where they hunted the deer typically showed up on the edge of a field 200 yards from their stand and implied I was a fool for suggesting they zero otherwise. You just cannot argue with logic like that. After three boxes of ammo they had to leave to buy more ammo, complaining the whole time that the guy who bore sighted the rifle must have messed up the scope. They never did hit the gong.
Originally Posted by okie john
Life is just too short to deal with these people. I just walk away while they're still talking.

Okie John

That would be the diplomatic thing to do, but like Ron White, "I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guy at work was telling us one day that his uncle shoots game running through the woods at 600 yards with a .22 and other crazy stories. One day one of the fellows has had enough of this BS so he tells the guy I'll stand in the woods at 600 yards and let your uncle take a crack at me. A couple days later the guys say's "I talked to my uncle and he said to tell you you're good as dead". Where do they find them? BCM
Another one was his uncle drives nails in the top of fence posts then walks back to where he can't see them and shoots the heads off of the nails because he remembered where he drove them in at.
I'd been cutting Juniper trees into wood, off a friends ranch, trying to improve his dryland grass a little. I always pack some kind of rifle in the pickup, that day I had a trapdoor Springfield, he drives up about the time I'm done, we get to jawing, both in our 70's so that's a given. It's a little nippy and he offers me a few pulls off the jug. More BS, more pulls off the jug. Out comes the trapdoor. Across the little valley is an old harvester machine, he takes a couple shots, gives up, hands it to me, offhand, wind gusts, wobbling on my feet from whiskey on an empty stomach...I 'thuuunnng' the harvester. I know when to quit and put the trapdoor away. Next day I go back, nobody around, with sandbags, rangefinder, my best ammo, not the stuff rolling around in the glovebox, fired at the harvester. ranged at 780 yards..one hit in 12 shots. Pathetic. But, to this day, he thinks I'm a helluva shot...and I keep forgetting to set the record straight.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'd been cutting Juniper trees into wood, off a friends ranch, trying to improve his dryland grass a little. I always pack some kind of rifle in the pickup, that day I had a trapdoor Springfield, he drives up about the time I'm done, we get to jawing, both in our 70's so that's a given. It's a little nippy and he offers me a few pulls off the jug. More BS, more pulls off the jug. Out comes the trapdoor. Across the little valley is an old harvester machine, he takes a couple shots, gives up, hands it to me, offhand, wind gusts, wobbling on my feet from whiskey on an empty stomach...I 'thuuunnng' the harvester. I know when to quit and put the trapdoor away. Next day I go back, nobody around, with sandbags, rangefinder, my best ammo, not the stuff rolling around in the glovebox, fired at the harvester. ranged at 780 yards..one hit in 12 shots. Pathetic. But, to this day, he thinks I'm a helluva shot...and I keep forgetting to set the record straight.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Not quite 780 yards, but I pulled a dinger like that with my Henry carbine last summer. I was just sitting at the bench plunking a gong at 50 with little popgun 32 S&W Long cast subsonics at a buddy's place that I do most of my shooting. Another friend came out a bit later and asked how accurate it was. Told him pretty good up close, he said how about out there? Points out in the field at the 10 incher.

I just pointed one at the moon at the 200 yarder... pop.............. tink. No front or rear rest, just elbows on the stable table.

I could probably launch 1000 shots at that thing like that and never hit it again.... didn't tell him that, though šŸ˜‚

Okie John

This is usually what I do when I'm tired of listening to someone on any topic. And then I like to use the Ron Swanson tactic and call them by the wrong name to let them know that I don't care about them. lol
A relative was bragging about a 500+ yard shot at a big mulie with his 6.5-06.

He said he just held on the back and let loose, dropping the deer right there.

I told him his hit was pure luck, because the drop at that range (I know he zeros at 100 yards) was somewhere in the vicinity of 4 feet.

His reply was that the guy who handloads his ammo for him "loads them hot".
Good stories guys, thanks for sharing.

Like mentioned above the ā€œspecial, hot or my favourite extra stuffed handloads ā€œ are a great indicator of bovid excrement.

I liked the ā€œthe .243 is no good on deer under 150 yards as the bullet is moving so fast it does not have time to open up in the deerā€

As mentioned above the laser rangefinder and the chronograph broke a lot of hearts and killed a lot of stories.
I have read many rifle reviews. I lose it when. it comes to reporting the range results. A good percentage of them have these comments:

"This best group I got was 1.5 inches (at 100 yards) but I'm sure with some careful development, it'll shoot under an inch."

or...

"The first shot was my fault, as I called it high. The other 4 shots are in a nice grouping., so that's how accurate it shoots." ALL SHOTS COUNT. There are no mulligans. Shoot the group again, THEN make your accuracy assessment.

One more:

"The gun will shoot better than me." Warning! They ALL do. All errors are additive. The rifle has an innate level of precision, then, the shooter adds additional variance-especially in offhand.

Report the actual results, and don't speculate on what might be possible. If you can't shoot with precision, get someone else who can.
Originally Posted by GRF

Like mentioned above the ā€œspecial, hot or my favourite extra stuffed handloads ā€œ are a great indicator of bovid excrement.

I liked the ā€œthe .243 is no good on deer under 150 yards as the bullet is moving so fast it does not have time to open up in the deerā€

As mentioned above the laser rangefinder and the chronograph broke a lot of hearts and killed a lot of stories.

The 7 mag gets hit with that line of bull too.
And the .270 Winchester. I heard it more than once when growing up in Montana.

Another consistent brag before laser range-finders appeared was kind of curious. Somehow long shots were almost always 700 yards, whether the animal was a deer killed with a .22-250 or an elk with the 7mm Remington Magnum. Once again, the "hunter" usually claimed he held "just over the back," and WHACK!

One of my friends, who I still keep in contact with, basically claimed that he killed a pronghorn buck at "crazy far" range with his .257 Roberts, by holding on the top of the shoulder. I asked how it was sighted-in, and he said two inches high at 100 yards. Of course, he had no idea of the muzzle velocity, since he didn't own a chronograph--but did mention his handload, which would have gotten 3000-3100 with a 100-grain bullet. Which meant the range was at most 300 yards.

Also knew several guys who claimed to be able to "estimate" range really well, but when I tested their estimates with a Leica rangerfinder they were way off--but did believe the rangefinder until we paced off the range....
I was buying some 130 grain partitions for my .270 at Sportsman's Whorehouse about 15 years ago and the kid behind the counter told me they were no good for deer and I needed to get some all copper Barnes bullets with plastic tips for the high BC. I guess he thought I was gonna put back the partitions, he seemed disappointed when I just said "Uh-huh, ring these up."

Once we were hunting the GW National Forest in western VA in some pretty steep country. We were walking back to the truck on a logging road late in the morning and ran into a couple guys standing at their truck drinking coffee. The big one (I'm talking circumference) was in a talkative mood and told us with the snow on the ground the deer would be easy to see up on the mountainside (which was true in that spot) and he was gonna park it there and pick one off. Said he was good out to past 300.

He was shooting an open-sighted lever action in .35 Remington. There may be guys good to 300 with that set-up but he was not one of 'em.

My LR shootin has always been with P/dogs

Longest lasered dog was ______________yds

with my Savage/Pac Nor 260 AI & 142 SMK's

The old phrase better lucky than good.
That story is the kind of things were Legends are made. Whether it be skill or luck.
And oh yes the MD's 270 maybe that's why I absolutely hate it 270 to this day it's just from the BS you would hear years ago.
But, to this day, he thinks I'm a helluva shot...and I keep forgetting to set the record straight.

When you have a story like that one, you can never, ever, set the record straight!
I'm too old to recall the outlandish stories I was told before I had commode diodes surgically implanted in my ears back in '92. Shoulda wrote them down, huh?
when i was growing up in PENN and pelts were going for good money, me and a friend of mine were in a local gun shop and a guy was telling the owner of the shop about a raccoon he had shot the night before.
He said it weighed a good 15 pounds, and he took it home and skinned it out in his barn. He said it had a good 15 pounds of fat on it, as it was shot near a corn field and had been eating pretty good. Gun shop owner looked at him and said, if it weighed 15 pounds and you scraped 15 pounds of fat off of the pelt, there wouldnt be anything left of the raccoon. Guy got all quiet and walked out
One day at the range, right before deer season, a goober came screeching into the parking lot in a cloud of gravel and dust. He hopped out , opened the trunk of the 70's vintage Caddy, and grabbed a M94 Winchester and a huge hunk of cardboard. We all stopped shooting, and he ran down to the 25 yard pistol target butts, unfolded the hunk of cardboard (which turned out to be a refrigerator carton), and retired to to the firing line. By now the rest of us had racked our guns and were watching with great intent. The fella quickly ripped a magazine-full at his "target" (and mind you he didn't load the gun there at the firing line - it was already loaded when he fished it out of his trunk), walked down and examined his target, and declared to one and all "that's good enough for me, see y'all in the woods next week". We watched as he waddled back to the Caddy (he was, er, rather stout), threw the rifle in the trunk, literally- and with no case, slammed the lid shut, hopped in the car and tore out of there much like he had when he arrived. The whole show took maybe 20 minutes total. We looked at each other, shook our heads, and walked over to dispose of the refrigerator carton he left behind. There was exactly two bullet holes in it out of the half dozen or so shots he fired, maybe a foot apart and a foot away from the penciled aiming point. At that point we stashed our guns in our cars, opened a cooler and popped a couple beers open. It took a while (patiently skirting the subject) before my buddy said, "Jesus, we forgot to ask him where he was gonna be hunting."
As a kid, Maybe 15 yrs old, I bought a satirical plastic card at the five n dime store that i kept in my wallet... It had a grinning long horned cartoon Bull on it, Squatting to take a dump... It read "I am somewhat of a Bullschitter myself"... "But sometimes i like to listen to a Real Pro"... "Please Carry On"... Used to flash it behind the back of a particularly annoying BS'r that worked counter sales at my brothers salvage yard... He couldn't figure out why everyone would suddenly burst out laughing during one of his tall tales... Like his magically accurate ( at 500 yds with buckhorn sights) "Thurdy Thurdy"... Or his Wheelstanding "318 Charger".. When his outrageous lies started to affect his sales... After several warnings, He got his ass canned...
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
A coworker said his dad bought a 7mm SuperBoomer of some sort, "Sumbitch shoots so flat the bullet never drops!" Sounded dangerous to me, bullet could circumnavigate the globe and hit you in the ass.

Like on Bugs Bunney.
I applaud all of you guys that put the embellishers in their place. I have dealt with too many people for too many years, and simply give the scowl that says "you are totally full of yourself" and walk away. Have a zero tolerance policy anymore I guess.

One of the reasons I can not stand the 7 rem mag, is because of one person that claimed it to be the end all, be all. Proceeded to wound a couple of great whitetails buck circa 1982.

Our hunting group comprised of:
Neighbor that shot a 6.5-06 and for the National Guard shooting team.
Dad shot a Rem 760 pump in 270 Win and had to pull a few shots while qualifying in the National Guard so as not to get selected for sniper training and on to Vietnam in the early 60's.
Me, a simple rem 700 BDL in 270. At 14 year old, was not even close to as qualified as Dad and neighbor. Had good training and had been shooting airguns and 22 rimfires, and smallbore competition for as long as I could remember.

We all filled our tags with no muss, no fuss.

Ended up running into the same guy 10 years later. He showed me a picture of the two bucks he wounded that season. Both shot/finished on the neighboring ranch. But his 7 mag was better. crazy

I know it is the nut squeezing the trigger. But I certainly get suspect when all the marketing claims of the latest greatest come out... cool

As far as amazing shot stories, I take them all with a healthy dose of skepticism. I have made some pretty nice shots over the years, but tend to attribute it to the "better lucky than good" or "the sun shines on a dog's a$$ somedays". laugh
I spent a little over 16 years gunsmithing in a busy retail setting and I heard a lot of tall yales. Knowing that I couldn't fix stupid, I usually just listened. We had one salesman in the store who was a worse liar than any customer. I recall one time, when he was telling of being treed by a herd of grizzlies, an old timer on the other side of the counter looked at him and said, "Young man, you're full of sh-t."
Generally speaking, I just looked on the tall tales as entertainment and left it at that. GD
I shot this buck at 346 yards with a lever action rifle. In the head. While he was walking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In fairness, I shoot a 284 and use a rangefinder so....
I worked in a gun shop for just under 5yrs during and a bit after I graduated college. The Bushnell 400yd shoebox-sized LRF launched while I was there and the 800yd Leica "brick" towards the end. The 1st Gen 1K Geovid LRF/Binoc combo (bigger than a shoe box and about 3#) was available then too but I only knew 1 guy who actually bought one.

Some folks embraced the technology for what it was and used it to improve their skills. A whole bunch of others just added several hundred yards to their "stories".

I don't think I'd have the patience for the BS anymore. I've run out of a lot of my "nod your head and smile".
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I shot this buck at 346 yards with a lever action rifle. In the head. While he was walking.

I can believe that. Were you aiming for the head?
Originally Posted by smokepole

Mostly just the mountainside. i thought there might be a deer over there somewhere.
Not the distance on this one, just the stupidity

Many years ago some family members and I were coming out of the woods
and looking across the pasture we saw a couple of a neighbors boys dragging
a small buck toward the road. My uncle spoke up and said we would help them
get it home in our truck. during the conversation my cousin asked " how far was
the shot Eugene?" Reply "gawd twas a long ways, probably a hunnert yards"
His brother spoke up "schidt Gene, he was a lot furthurn'that, at least 300 feet.
Lotta guys do this or that or just talk about doing this or that.. Thing is anything you want to do requires the right equipment and skills to do it, then practice at it till you can. Pretty simple really. Every Father's day week and weekend I shoot a 45-70 at a 800yd target and hit it about 1/3 to 1/2 the time, might even do better if I used a scope. There are guys who are a lot better at it, I just need more practice....mb
I was at the Issaquah range. I asked the little old man next to me with a lightweight R700 223 what he did for a living.

He said he was retired, but he had trained snipers.

I thought "BS!"

But then I saw his groups when we walked 100 yards to the targets.

He must have been doping for the changing wind with every shot.
I've been shooting my 30-06 deer rifle, which is accurate, but not bragging accurate, and other guys act like I'm a wizard because I'm shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. After seeing their targets, I find out why they are impressed. I go away thankful I'm not hunting anywhere near them.
I was talking to a customer recently who owns a very nice bar, and he told me that he has never met so many snipers, Seals, Recon, etc than in the last few years. He said most of them are over weight and in their early 20s if that.......
Then there was the guy I worked with over 25 years ago who had one of the early 1970's Mod. 700 Remingtons in .17 Rem. . Claimed he used to target shoot at 1000 yds. with it. He could do that because the M.V. was over 4000 fps so the bullet hardly dropped at all.
Originally Posted by GRF

The 7 mag gets hit with that line of bull too.

Many moons ago I heard a customer tell the guys behind the counter at the LGS that his 7mm Remington Mag shot so fast the bullet was rising on the way to the deer. Counter guys nodded in agreement.
I can't count how many people think a bullet rises. I always ask if they use magic bullets that defy the force of gravity. Most still don't get it and insist that bullets rise.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was talking to a customer recently who owns a very nice bar, and he told me that he has never met so many snipers, Seals, Recon, etc than in the last few years. He said most of them are over weight and in their early 20s if that.......

You arenā€™t kidding. Amazing how big those units mustā€™ve been with all those vets. Youā€™d have thought there were million of SOF guys on the battlefield grin
Most likely playing "Call Of Duty" arm chair warriors that want to impress the ladies.....
Most likely playing "Call Of Duty" arm chair warriors that want to impress the ladies.....

Chances are they donā€™t have ladiesā€¦. At least none that are desirable
Took out a 12.7mm AA crew at a distance of approximately 1050 meters with the 7.62x51 without sights.

Miniguns are awesome!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Took out a 12.7mm AA crew at a distance of approximately 1050 meters with the 7.62x51 without sights.

Miniguns are awesome!

Cheater whistle
I donā€™t have any cool stories like some of you. But I do have at least 3 friends with 7 mags and 6.5 with Vortex viper 5-25 or some sh*t like that.
I out shoot them with my 270 win wearing vx2 3-9 CDS at any distance we shoot. But I can only shoot accurately out to 600 yards.
I Absolutely hate when new guys put on telescopes on their hunting rifles for hunting normal ranges.
Originally Posted by Dre

I Absolutely hate when new guys put on telescopes on their hunting rifles for hunting normal ranges.

Why does that bother you?
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Dre

Why does that bother you?

Because they think just because they can see 1000 yards, they think they can take a chance at with it because they are shooting a ā€˜magnumā€™ or even 500 yards. Yet they canā€™t get a moa group at 200 yards.
GTFOH
These stories remind me of a tale told to me in the early 1980's by an old friend who is now sadly deceased. I shot competition with him for quite a while and he was an outstanding shot but this occurred prior to his competition days.

He was from back in the hills of eastern KY and was home on furlough during the Korean conflict and he had recently purchased a new model 70 in 220 Swift and was bragging about it to the old boys setting around on the porch of the country grocery store. He said that one of them happened to notice a crow land in a field "way out there", and of course someone said - "well you have been telling us about this rifle and how you can hit things so far away with it, lets see you shoot that crow".

He said that he took a look and judged that the crow was likely at least 400 yards and he had never shot anything with the rifle that far away but he was in a bit of a corner since he had been bragging up the rifle and cartridge. He took his time taking it out of the trunk of his car and looked out at the field and the darned crow was still there, so then he fiddled around with the scope a bit and did everything he could to take as much time as possible hoping that the crow would fly and he wouldn't have to take the shot. It finally reached the stalling point that it was put up or shut up time, he laid his jacket on the hood and held a bit high - when he pulled the trigger there was nothing left of the crow except the air full of black feathers.

He said I calmly strolled back to the trunk the rifle away and did my best to act like I made shots like that all of the time. He said to this day when I go back home for a visit there is someone who always wants to talk about that longest shot they had ever seen, he said that as the years have gone bystanders keep increasing the stories distance to where the shot was over a mile. He said I just keep my mouth shut and let them believe I could do it anytime I wanted to but I know how much luck was involved even at 400 yards.

drover
OK heres my one and only. Gopher standing on a flat bare section 480 lasered yards away. 28mph wind. I have my .223 with new Burris BP scope on it to try, figured I could at least land one on the bare dirt, fire and adjust! So I touched one off.Killed the gopher, and he had to be the only sentient being on the face of the earth more surprised than me!
One time many years ago, my Dad, who was a WW2 combat vet (82nd AB) was fishing with a couple buddies in a big John boat. As they went along, they saw a water snake stick its head up about 30 yards away where they were headed. Acting a fool, Dad (in the first seat) got his .22 H&R revolver out, and said I'll take care of him. He threw the gun up pulled the trigger like a gunslinger and nearly blew that snakes head off. Well, Dad held his surprise and acted like he meant to do it all along. He never let them know it was an absolutely lucky, impossible shot he never in a million years thought he would make. He acted like he'd learned how to shoot like that in the Army. They probably told that story from then on....
392 yards, shot in the neck as he looked back over his shoulder at me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by beretzs

You arenā€™t kidding. Amazing how big those units mustā€™ve been with all those vets. Youā€™d have thought there were million of SOF guys on the battlefield grin

As of the current Census taken during August, 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between ā€™95 and ā€™00. Thatā€™s 390 per day. During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE VIETNAM VETS ARE NOT. This makes calculations of those alive, even in 2017, difficult to maintain. Wings.com

It used to be common to see young shooters dying to own a 308 Win, so they could be the next super sniper. The for sale ads were always stuffed full of nice, hardly shot, 308ā€™s hitting the road to someone elseā€™s closet in short order when their hopes intersected with reality.

With the release of the Creedmoor, it became even worse. Young guys, pumped up on gun mags and on-line videos, ready to hit the range and go deep with these rifles was hilarious.

What was lost on many, youthful LR hopefuls, and a few handfuls of older dipsticks. Was the practice and learning curve on how to properly shoot.

Dust balls near distant rocks that came from a bullet strike within 20ā€™ft of the intended target, were magically called hits. Lol

When a guy knows how to shoot. His given chambering can become magical. Thereā€™s not many shortcuts to shooting well.

šŸ¦«

I did have to eat a little crow on this one. Not a BS story but sometimes I don't know everything.

A friend who is an avid hunter but not schooled in all the minutia and not a reloader called me and said he couldn't get his scope to zero. It was a Leupold 3-9x VXII. I told him to send it back to Leupold to be checked and loaned him one of the same from my stash to use since the season was coming up and I doubted his scope would be back in time. He called me from the range to say my scope wouldn't zero either. Not even on paper at 25 yards. I asked all the standard questions. Rings tight? Same ammo he used previously? It was on a Ruger with factory rings so no windage base to worry about.

He said he thought the barrel was bent. I told him that was unlikely. He insisted. I told him I was sure his barrel wasn't bent and asked him if he realized what it took to bend a rifle barrel. I told him to stop by on his way home and I'd check it. When he stopped by I removed the bolt and held it up to the light looking from the muzzle. "I'll be darned Ken, your barrel is bent. Significantly."

He recalled going around a tree on a tight corner in a trail and feeling the gun boot scrape the tree but didn't think anything of it at the time. I loaned him a rifle to hunt the season while Ruger rebarreled his rifle. Of course Leupold found nothing wrong with his scope. I was a bit chagrined.
I've been around truly good shooters so know what is good and what is not. As I shoot shotguns far more than rifles, I am not and know I am not even a "fair" rifle shooter when compared to an actual standard.

That said, my "curse" is shooting my best groups when in front of a given audience for the first time. They are the ones that will crow of my accomplishments and put me on the spot with others. These "supporters" may see me shoot my norm other times but they believe I'm just making them feel good or some such drivel.

My niece's father in law was the worst. The first time he saw me shoot my CZ 550 in 416 Rigby I put the first three shots into a cloverleaf at 100 yards. That target is not on my wall, it was in his woodworking shop and he bragged of it to everyone who came in. It wouldn't have been so bad as we didn't run in the same circles except he was also the assistant deacon at my wife's church. I've had too many repeat the storey and they get a little put out when I saw it was luck rather than skill. It seems the equate my modesty with calling their deacon a liar. I tell them if they provide the ammo, I'll prove it was a fluke but there are no takers. I was hoping to get some free 416 Rigby ammo.

As for those that claimed to be snipers, when I worked the gun counter at a farm store, I would ask these guys what their MOS was in the military. Those that were pretending to serve walked off as they had no idea what I was asking about. So did many that did serve but in a different capacity. A few of the remaining would ask what that meant and when I told them, they typically said, "sniper." When asked for the official designation they would finally walk off.

Then there would be those that would give me a designation. Those I would tell to bring in their DD214 the next time they were in and, if I was working, I would spot them a box of standard line ammo. I would be asked if I served and I would tell them no but the little I knew would weed out the vast majority of pretenders. What the discharge papers were called was also my standard question for those looking for the military discount but did not have their ID with them. Whether retired, discharged, or still active, they knew what that was called!
The range I'm a member of allows the local police and sheriffs departments to use the range to shoot their qualifications. Club rules are "don't bother the officers while they are qualifying". One time I arrived at the range in the morning to shoot a few rounds through my slug gun to check zero for the upcoming deer gun season. The officers appeared to be done as they were just standing around BSing. I walked up and introduced myself because I was an active LEO from another department in another county and asked if they mind if I carried my stuff up and put it on the bench. They told me to go ahead. One local officer said he wanted to shoot his slug gun a couple rounds to check zero also. He pulled an open sighted 870 with a slug barrel on it out of a gun case, thumbed a couple 12 gauge slugs into the magazine, and commenced to bang away at 100 yards off hand and standing. I told him he was welcome to use my sandbags to check zero if he liked. He gave me a smart azz reply "I don't carry sand bags into my tree stand with me" I just laughed at him and stepped back until they departed. DUMB!

Ron
Originally Posted by mart

He said he thought the barrel was bent. I told him that was unlikely. He insisted. I told him I was sure his barrel wasn't bent and asked him if he realized what it took to bend a rifle barrel. I told him to stop by on his way home and I'd check it. When he stopped by I removed the bolt and held it up to the light looking from the muzzle. "I'll be darned Ken, your barrel is bent. Significantly."

He recalled going around a tree on a tight corner in a trail and feeling the gun boot scrape the tree but didn't think anything of it at the time. I loaned him a rifle to hunt the season while Ruger rebarreled his rifle. Of course Leupold found nothing wrong with his scope. I was a bit chagrined.

They can be bent, but they can often be straightened too.
Since I have had a rangefinder my guesses under 300 yards were usually short and guesses over300 were long

The actual SOF community isn't immune to this either.
I work with actual SOF and still hear tails so tall they can't be anything but BS. Most are more humble but there's always one that has to elevate himself in some way.
A bit off topic but as long as we're talking ignorance and outright BS....
Remember a guy at a gunshow table proudly proclaim that a particular marlin 336 was more valuable because it was a "pre 64".

Them that can do, others talk about it. Quote 22yr. vet sniper. Rio7
Yep.
My favorite is from those who I've party hunted with: "I forgot my knife" or "my knife isn't sharp".

They only go once.

Few years back I was in Kansas with a couple of friends, shooting P Dogs, wind was blowing hard from my right, P. Dog waaay out there, friend spotting for me, i shoot and hit about 6" left, make a adjustment, shoot again, hit same place, adjust more right, hit same place,i said i'm wasting ammo, friend said shoot one more, your digging a hell of a canyon next to him, he may fall in it and break his neck. Rio7
Rio7, thatā€™s the kind of friend everyone needs. šŸ˜
Originally Posted by ol_mike

A guy I knew heard me talk about custom rifles I owned, all the sudden he knew ALL ABOUT custom rifles, told me of a Mossberg that came from the factory a '''custom rifle''' LAF

In the 70ā€™s Mossberg owned Pedersen Custom Guns located at the same address. 7 Grasso Avenue. North Haven, Ct. They did put out a rifle from this shop based on a Mossberg design.
Originally Posted by OGB
Remember a guy at a gunshow table proudly proclaim that a particular marlin 336 was more valuable because it was a "pre 64".

That's quite a coincidence, I had a "non-gunny" friend tell me the same thing about his 336 the other day. I just smiled and changed the subject.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by OGB

That's quite a coincidence, I had a "non-gunny" friend tell me the same thing about his 336 the other day. I just smiled and changed the subject.

drover

šŸ¤£
knew a small gunshop owner that would hunt Colorado in the 60's.
told of shooting a huge mule deer buck at 600 yards across a canyon.
"took my 30-06, the buck was running full out on the side hill. I held on his nose and broke his neck with one shot!. we paced it off at 600 yards!"
I always tell liars "the bullet has to land somewhere"
I saw an Ad in the Baker Montana newspaper: for sale a ā€œbend over shotgunā€. Always wondered if it was painted white for high class weddings.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
knew a small gunshop owner that would hunt Colorado in the 60's.
told of shooting a huge mule deer buck at 600 yards across a canyon.
"took my 30-06, the buck was running full out on the side hill. I held on his nose and broke his neck with one shot!. we paced it off at 600 yards!"

Iā€™ve always wondered, pre range finder days, how they paced off cross canyon shots. Do they pace down to the bottom, back up to the animal, estimate the angle between the two sides of this forming triangle then apply the laws of sines and cosines to find the distance of the shot, which would now be the final leg of this non right triangle? Wow! Incredible shots and talented mathematicians.
I am not a long range guru. I've never lived anywhere or belonged to a range with long range opportunities beyond 200 yards. As a result when faced with the buck of a lifetime who stood broadside at a lasered 350 yards I gave him a pass as I just didn't know for certain how much holdover to factor in. I've gotten good mileage telling that tale on myself the last couple years (like I did just now)!

Every hunting trip "out west" in my life netted my animals at short range, furthest shot being maybe 60-70 yards, including a couple antelope. My outfitter/guide, Randy Grier in Gillette, WY, liked to see me coming as he liked that I was willing to stalk/crawl or fail trying.
Had to listen (there was only 1 campfire) to a guy who thinks the sun rises and sets on the 6.5 PRC. Now, I've shot 1 cow elk with the PRC, but it's not like I'm gonna ask it out on a date.

Anyways, he tells the story of bringing his BIL out west to hunt elk. He told him not to worry about bringing an "elk rifle", 'cause you're gonna use my PRC.

So, he "eyeballs" an elk at 1,000 yards. That's right, he spotted an elk, in elk country, 1,000 yards away unaided by glass. Then, they "sneak" to 800 yards where said story teller decides it's close enough for the BIL to shoot. Hell, I can walk upright whistling Dixie on an elk that is 1,000 yards away. And why 800? Why not 700? Or 600? Oh, well.

Now it's the moment of truth. The story teller spins the dial-a-distance knob on the scope, and hands the rifle to the BIL who, btw, HAS NEVER SHOT THE RIFLE, and tells him to let 'er rip, tater chip. And sure enough, 1 shot later the elk tips over due to the sheer awesomeness of his beloved 6.5 PRC.

Oh, yea, almost forgot. During that particular campfire and hunt, the story teller was the only one to not tag out. Something about the scope being off...

Originally Posted by ingwe
OK heres my one and only. Gopher standing on a flat bare section 480 lasered yards away. 28mph wind. I have my .223 with new Burris BP scope on it to try, figured I could at least land one on the bare dirt, fire and adjust! So I touched one off.Killed the gopher, and he had to be the only sentient being on the face of the earth more surprised than me!

Got myself one of those tall tales:
I was sitting with a shooting buddy on a high bank overlooking a small river in the high desert about half way between Reno and Susanville. We spotted a jackrabbit below us on the other side of the river, going away at maybe 125 yards out. I placed both forearms on my raised knees and wrapped both hands around my little Walther PP .22LR. Keeping the front sight centered in the rear notch, I raised it above the notch ā€œsome,ā€ placed the jackrabbit on top of the front sight and squeezed the trigger single action. Darned if I didnā€™t roll that jackrabbit. My buddy was thoroughly stunned. He told that story to nearly everyone who would hold still long enough to hear it, while I just stood by silently. I was certainly happy he didnā€™t ask me to do it again. Bullet had to go somewhere; bad day for that jackrabbit.
Going with the RSO duty stories. Couple guys show up with 30 minutes to go before range is closed. Run a target out to two hundred and sprint back. Put three boxes of 7mag in the dirt and never hit the target. After the fact they say its brand new and never been shot. We just shake our heads and say you should have let us know and we would have told them to put it up at 25.

That barrel sure got a break in though.
Hell, if it was a bolt action that wasn't pathological it would be no trick at all to have it hitting near the middle of a sheet of paper on the first shot at 100 yards.
Guy I grew up with has one that he never talks about because people call B.S. on him. Back in 1969 a few of us were shooting .22's in an old dump on a dirt road. Finished up and were back at the car parked on the side of the road. Just putting guns into the trunk when something in the field across the road caused a pheasant to flush and take off. This guy still had his .22 loaded (unsafe move), threw it to his shoulder, swung it like a shotgunner, fired one round and the bird crashed to earth instantly, That bird to be at least 50 yards away, going from right to left, when he hit it. It was a solid head shot on a flying pheasant at least 50 yards away with a 22LR...... We stood there stunned for a couple seconds but not as stunned as the guy who just pulled the trigger in front of about 3 witnesses. What were the odds of him making that shot ? Pretty cool just to have been there to see it myself.
Same gun shop in PENN a customer was telling an employee that he shot a turkey and it took off flying, but he heard it crash to the ground a split second later. He said he looked for a couple of hours but couldnt find it.
The next morning he went back and looked again and finally found it but something had eaten half of it. He hunted the same area a couple of days later and called in another turkey, shot it, and it also flew off, but he heard it hit the ground. Once again he looked and couldnt find it, and once again he went back the next morning and found the second turkey half eaten. One of the ladies working the counter said, "You should have kept both of the half eaten birds, that way you would have one whole turkey. About 4 customers and 2 employees burst out laughing and the guy turned beat red
Same gun shop in PENN a customer was telling an employee that he shot a turkey and it took off flying, but he heard it crash to the ground a split second later. He said he looked for a couple of hours but couldnt find it.
The next morning he went back and looked again and finally found it but something had eaten half of it. He hunted the same area a couple of days later and called in another turkey, shot it, and it also flew off, but he heard it hit the ground. Once again he looked and couldnt find it, and once again he went back the next morning and found the second turkey half eaten. One of the ladies working the counter said, "You should have kept both of the half eaten birds, that way you would have one whole turkey. About 4 customers and 2 employees burst out laughing and the guy turned beat red

That's funny.
I read a story once. An LEO working the border country down south had shot a rabbit on patrol. Later that day he picked up a couple suspects for transport in the back seat. Being alone in the endeavor, he had an idea to impress compliance upon his guests. So he stopped the patrol car a mile or so from where he had shot the rabbit. He got out and fired his sidearm in the general direction of the dead rabbit, his passengers observing. Returning to the wheel he drove on to where the rabbit lay, got out, walked to it and held it up for the passengers to see. IIRC the LEO was named Bill Jordan.

Not saying the story isn't true. Only that life is too short to go without a bit of yarn from time to time.
:-)
Originally Posted by Puddle
Had to listen (there was only 1 campfire) to a guy who thinks the sun rises and sets on the 6.5 PRC. Now, I've shot 1 cow elk with the PRC, but it's not like I'm gonna ask it out on a date.

Anyways, he tells the story of bringing his BIL out west to hunt elk. He told him not to worry about bringing an "elk rifle", 'cause you're gonna use my PRC.

So, he "eyeballs" an elk at 1,000 yards. That's right, he spotted an elk, in elk country, 1,000 yards away unaided by glass. Then, they "sneak" to 800 yards where said story teller decides it's close enough for the BIL to shoot. Hell, I can walk upright whistling Dixie on an elk that is 1,000 yards away. And why 800? Why not 700? Or 600? Oh, well.

Now it's the moment of truth. The story teller spins the dial-a-distance knob on the scope, and hands the rifle to the BIL who, btw, HAS NEVER SHOT THE RIFLE, and tells him to let 'er rip, tater chip. And sure enough, 1 shot later the elk tips over due to the sheer awesomeness of his beloved 6.5 PRC.

Oh, yea, almost forgot. During that particular campfire and hunt, the story teller was the only one to not tag out. Something about the scope being off...

Nothing for nothing ,My friend from a shotgun only area inPa was here a few years ago put 3out of 3 shots on a 15" steel plate out of my gun at 940 yds. Having never shot passed 200 yds at anything . He was more surprised than I thought possible. My gun , my laser , my charts, my experience, he only pulled the trigger as he was directed.
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Teal

Range finders, chronographs and bore scopes have broke a lot of hearts.

Add weighing scales to that list, too.
As long as the conversation is migrating towards "stories that sound like utter BS but are actually true", I'll throw one out.
My best hunting buddy grew up in Idaho, as did his father before him. His dad worked in forestry so was out amongst the timber all the time. One day during elk season, he came around a curve of a steep sidehill dirt road and saw a fella with his flatbed pulled over next to the uphill side of the track and leaned over the hood of the truck with his rifle pointed up that steep hill into the timber. Dad, stopped and held back so as not to cause trouble for the hunter. Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!
Dad drove on up there and said that was about the darnedest thing he ever saw. Fella says "Yeah, me too!" and then says, "I am begging you to follow me to my camp, 'cause my buddies are never going to believe me when I tell this. Will you please??"
He agreed to go along, kinda putting himself in that guy's position and knowing he was right - nobody would ever believe it.
But then again, how the heck else would a whole, non-dressed, rifle shot bull elk wind up in a single hunter's flatbed?

Cheers,
Rex
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!
Dad drove on up there and said that was about the darnedest thing he ever saw. Fella says "Yeah, me too!" and then says, "I am begging you to follow me to my camp, 'cause my buddies are never going to believe me when I tell this. Will you please??"
He agreed to go along, kinda putting himself in that guy's position and knowing he was right - nobody would ever believe it.
But then again, how the heck else would a whole, non-dressed, rifle shot bull elk wind up in a single hunter's flatbed?

Cheers,
Rex

You mean OTHER than having 2-miles of winch-cable and an Uberlanche?

Mostly just the mountainside. i thought there might be a deer over there somewhere.

Good strategy. Wherever you go there's always a mountainside to spot and stalk.
Originally Posted by horse1
Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!

Cheers,
Rex

You mean OTHER than having 2-miles of winch-cable and an Uberlanche?

We were hunting in SW CO and kept running into a guy from CA on the trail. He told us he had over a mile of kevlar cord and a heavy duty winch on his jeep and if he got an elk he was gonna winch it out. We had a good laugh about that once he was out of earshot. He saw us pack out two elk and kept asking us where he should hunt. After a couple times politely not answering his question, he kept asking so I told him if it was me I'd hunt at "the spring" which was right smack on the trail we were going in and out on, kind of heavily trafficked. I just told him something so he'd quit asking. Well, we were packing out a load of meat and there he was, at the spring with a cow elk down. It was about 3 in the afternoon and he said he got to the spring, sat down, and the cow came right in five minutes later. He thanked me profusely for the tip on where to hunt, if he only knew.

Anyway, my buddy asked him if he was gonna break out the kevlar cord, and he got a sheepish look on his face, said he'd called a friend with horses to help him out. I guess once he had the elk on the ground he figured out the kevlar cord wasn't going to work. If he had it in the first place.

I once shot the hair offn a gnats ass with my turdy turdy at 1,000 yards.,but I was cheatin cause I used a peep site,no bullchit!!!
Lots of people shoot 200lb whitetail bucks and 300 lb pigs until they by a game scale.................
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Lots of people shoot 200lb whitetail bucks and 300 lb pigs until they by a game scale.................

I knew a guy who swore he shot a blacktail on Vancouver Island that must have weighed over 400 on the hoof, said each side scaled 150 lbs or so on the rail. lol
I know a couple of guys that prefer not to hang out at the local VFWs anymore, because of all of the tall tales that are spun after a few beers are consumed
My #2 daughter shot a pronghorn about a mile from a road. We drug it back under the watchful eye of the SDGFP The game warden watched us drag the goat the whole way. He checked tags, I thought he could have drove out there but WTF. At any rate I heard back from school teachers that we had dragged a 300+ lb pronghorn back to my truck.
Neck shot on nice buck at 600 yds with a 264 Win Mag. Held right on.
I know a couple of guys that prefer not to hang out at the local VFWs anymore, because of all of the tall tales that are spun after a few beers are consumed

???? I thought that was the reason to go to the VFW in the first place?
F

Fighter Pilots have what we call "The ten percent truth rule." As long as a good story has at least ten percent truth content, it doesn't count as BS.
I think maybe politicians have that rule too.
Rex
F

Fighter Pilots have what we call "The ten percent truth rule." As long as a good story has at least ten percent truth content, it doesn't count as BS.
I think maybe politicians have that rule too.
Rex

I think maybe they shave the percentages to 5%. During election year they may even go as low as 2%.
one of my most favorite posts I've ever read on the internet, was when I was over on Accurate Reloading many years ago...
of course this was tongue in cheek, for the guys who that isn't evident to...

" There were 500 Navy Seals who saw duty during the Vietnam War...... and I've had the pleasure of meeting ALL 20,000 of them".....

Honorable mention goes to this One: "I can hit a mountain side at 1,000 yards, every time I try it!"
Originally Posted by Captain

In the 70ā€™s Mossberg owned Pedersen Custom Guns located at the same address. 7 Grasso Avenue. North Haven, Ct. They did put out a rifle from this shop based on a Mossberg design.

This guy, Blaine, was talking about a modern Mossberg rifle, he knew nothing about what you're talking about - I can guarantee you that.

He found out I had a yamaha r-1 sportbike and began telling me his stories of awe pertaining to fast motorcycles. He rode someone's? 1980 Suzuki? 750 that according to him would smoke the back tire at 120mph. LAF.
Kind of tangential but my favorite (not so much) are the guys who "only shoot deer in the head". Saves meat, drops right there, yadda, yadda. Its supposed to be interpreted as commentary on their precision shooting prowess. I've shot 3 deer in the past 10 years with holes in there faces, 2 with the bottom jaw broken. After 45+ years of hunting, I'm fairly certain a hole through the lungs behind the shoulder ruins next to zero meat and is a hell of alot bigger target - with a bit of room for error.

My other favorite story happened 40 years ago. My Dad and I were hunting in southern NY state - shotgun only. My Dad brought an acquaintance with us for the drive up the day before season. He stated he needed to sight in his shotgun. He then proceeded to shoot off his knee at a target that was 75 paces. Shoot, tweak sight, shoot tweak sight, for about 10 shots. Admittedly he was minute of deer, kinda, mostly. My Dad mentioned he shoot should off the hood of the truck to be more stable. "I held the world record at Paris Island for 1 day when I was in the military". I was fairly young but that didn't really jive with my own scope sighting experience, nor with his "groups" down yonder. He did manage to miss a buck that week.................
Originally Posted by bwinters
Kind of tangential but my favorite (not so much) are the guys who "only shoot deer in the head". Saves meat, drops right there, yadda, yadda. Its supposed to be interpreted as commentary on their precision shooting prowess. I've shot 3 deer in the past 10 years with holes in there faces, 2 with the bottom jaw broken.

When I trapped coyotes for a living I had several ranches in the 20,000 acres plus size to trap. Always found at least a couple deer carcasses every year with a jaw or nose shot off. Deer starved or died from infection and became carrion.

"I only shoot deer in the head," has always been a form of virtue signalling among hunters. I usually have a tough time not saying something when one of those buffoons starts pontificating.
Originally Posted by bushrat
Originally Posted by wyoming260

I knew a guy who swore he shot a blacktail on Vancouver Island that must have weighed over 400 on the hoof, said each side scaled 150 lbs or so on the rail. lol

Well they can get big, in 1970 a good friend was a breeder on a dairy farm near coastal Crescent City Calif. and the owner invited a guest hunter who shot a huge Columbian Blacktail right out of the pasture. My friend helped weigh it on the dairy scale, which was fairly accurate, hide, tail, guts and feathers...it weighed 330 pounds. It was so fat they couldn't pick it up onto the tailgate, and went and got a loader to lift it up. I often wondered if it's nuts were torn off on a barbwire fence or something, because 150 pound field dressed blacktail is a monster around here.
One of my dads friends in PENN was deer hunting in doe season and spotted one about 250 yards or so away from his stand and took steady aim and fired. He was using a 7RM if I remember correctly and when he looked again through his scope, the deer was still standing. He fired again and the deer was still standing, after the third shot the deer dropped. He walked over to the dead deer and discovered 3 dead deer instead of just one. My dad told me later on, that he believed that there were 3 deer, but his friend didnt do it by accident......

A client of one our regular hunters showed up with a brand new 300 Jarrett. After six shots, he hit the 100 yard 8" pie plate one time. Told me he was a better long range shooter, that's why he bought that rifle. Offered him my loaner 270 but that pissed him off. Missed the deer the next morning.

Most hunters that show up with a big boomer of some kind do not shoot it well, every year we talk the ones we can in to something more manageable, usually turns out better for them and us. Rio7
these are like fishing stories. Two ways to look at it are; "The first liar always loses." The one I like the best is ... "the difference between a sea story and a fairytale are that the fairytale starts.."Once upon a time" and the sea story starts..."this ain't no s--t."
almost anywhere men gather, hunt camp, fishing hole, VFW whatever...tall tales are told. We all have a couple of friends who aren't nearly old enough to have done all the things in their stories.
If it wasn't for hunters, fisherman, and other liars none of us would have anyone to talk to. Count your blessings
I honestly enjoy listening to tall hunting tales and war stories, most of them are very entertaining. But when the self claimed "lady killers" start talking I usually walk away
In a Houston job I had back in the 80ā€™s, the fun part was taking people hunting at the company ranch. We had offices all over the US, so other guys like me could invite guests to hunt also. The LA office guy brought a bunch of Californians to the south Texas ranch. It was quail season. The ranch was divided into color areas, and I had the red area and the west coast guys had the yellow zone. I knew there were few quail in the yellow zone, but they were on the Jeep radio chattering about all the quail they had shot. Everybody was limiting out. The red zone was the best quail zone, but we only had a few. Got back to the ranch house and they had killed an absolute truck load of Meadowlarks. Forever after that, Meadowlarks were referred to as ā€œCalifornia Quailā€.

We do a lot of Quail hunting, we call Meadow Larks Democrat Quail, they are yellow breasted show the white tail flag when they fly and they are slow. Rio7
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by ingwe

Got myself one of those tall tales:
I was sitting with a shooting buddy on a high bank overlooking a small river in the high desert about half way between Reno and Susanville. We spotted a jackrabbit below us on the other side of the river, going away at maybe 125 yards out. I placed both forearms on my raised knees and wrapped both hands around my little Walther PP .22LR. Keeping the front sight centered in the rear notch, I raised it above the notch ā€œsome,ā€ placed the jackrabbit on top of the front sight and squeezed the trigger single action. Darned if I didnā€™t roll that jackrabbit. My buddy was thoroughly stunned. He told that story to nearly everyone who would hold still long enough to hear it, while I just stood by silently. I was certainly happy he didnā€™t ask me to do it again. Bullet had to go somewhere; bad day for that jackrabbit.

laugh

I had something similar...but different! I always used to carry and shoot a S&W M19 with a 6 inch Barrel. My shooting pard liked it so when the M66 came out He bought a 6 incher....clone to mine but in stainless. Hunting jackrabbits one day he asked if I wanted to try his new gun. Of course....as soon as I got my hands on it a jackrabbit bolted 15 feet away. No aim, just up with the gun and rolled the rabbit. Keeping my mouth shut, like you, I simply handed it right back to him and said ": nice gun"....like I did that schitt all the time..... whistle
Originally Posted by prose
If it wasn't for hunters, fisherman, and other liars none of us would have anyone to talk to. Count your blessings

I usually start my stories with, "I've told this story so many times it might be true."
Seems like for every great feat of extraordinary shooting I have in my history of hunting and shooting, there might just be an almost equal number of unexplainable epic failuresā€¦and this unfortunately is %100 true. Shot my biggest buck through an 8ā€ section of his neck(all I had to aim at)between two big hickory trees, offhand from my knees, with my S&W 500 mag at 66 yards. Boom, plop. About 5 years before that I missed a ā€œstone statue standingā€ big doe at about 45 yards with my tack driving .280 Rem Ruger 77! Iā€™m sure if deer could tell stories her and her friends had a knee slapper there. Oh wait, I forgot that both situations were during a blinding snowstorm with 50 mph crosswinds with the sun in my eyes and shivering like a dog passin peach pits!

Doc_Holidude
like the signature line
I know a guy who made a "700 yard running shot" on a Deer in a 300 yard long field
Back in the 1970's I was hunting Blacktails in the Mumbo Basin with my father and two of his friends. We had been hunting a few days and had not seen any deer but had seen a lot of Blue Grouse so I decided to take my Ithica 37 12 GA pump and shoot me some grouse. This was a plain jane shotgun with a poly choke and no sights other than the standard bead on the poly choke. I threw 5 rifled slugs in my pocket just in case.

As luck would have it there were no grouse to be seen anywhere but as I peeked over the top of a ridge I saw a garden statue of a large 3X4 buck well over 100 yards below me. He was well beyond shotgun range but in my youth I just could not resist trying for him. I loaded 3 slugs in the gun and started shooting. I could see dust from the near misses all around him and he did not move a muscle. I loaded the final 2 slugs and on the 4th shot I broke his knee and he took off limping up hill to my right. I ran over to him and placed the final sulg in to his chest.

My dad was hunting with one of his friends and his friend stated "there goes that GD kid with that GD shotgun shooting at a GD deer." His other friend was below me on the hill and he told me later that he kicked a stump a half dozen times getting his ass kicking boot warmed up.
My son is friends with a very talented mechanic and expert bullschitter. He knows his automotive stuff and doesnā€™t BS too much about that, but OMG he is the biggest embellisher on every other subject! My son repeats all his bs and I rebut his crap at every opportunity. The wife complains that I fact check all the crap that is repeated. I tell her that I would rather he not turn into a bullschit artist like his buddy.

Okie John

Agreed!
we had a young guy out here in the country we called Bullseye because opening day at sunset , Bullseye shot a little brown pet milk cow at around 200 yards in a farmer`s pasture. the farmer was crying and not very happy his uncle Larry had to deal with it.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
One day at the range, right before deer season, a goober came screeching into the parking lot in a cloud of gravel and dust. He hopped out , opened the trunk of the 70's vintage Caddy, and grabbed a M94 Winchester and a huge hunk of cardboard. We all stopped shooting, and he ran down to the 25 yard pistol target butts, unfolded the hunk of cardboard (which turned out to be a refrigerator carton), and retired to to the firing line. By now the rest of us had racked our guns and were watching with great intent. The fella quickly ripped a magazine-full at his "target" (and mind you he didn't load the gun there at the firing line - it was already loaded when he fished it out of his trunk), walked down and examined his target, and declared to one and all "that's good enough for me, see y'all in the woods next week". We watched as he waddled back to the Caddy (he was, er, rather stout), threw the rifle in the trunk, literally- and with no case, slammed the lid shut, hopped in the car and tore out of there much like he had when he arrived. The whole show took maybe 20 minutes total. We looked at each other, shook our heads, and walked over to dispose of the refrigerator carton he left behind. There was exactly two bullet holes in it out of the half dozen or so shots he fired, maybe a foot apart and a foot away from the penciled aiming point. At that point we stashed our guns in our cars, opened a cooler and popped a couple beers open. It took a while (patiently skirting the subject) before my buddy said, "Jesus, we forgot to ask him where he was gonna be hunting."

I wouldn't have told you where I was hunting anyhow.....none of y'all even said hi.
Originally Posted by pete53
we had a young guy out here in the country we called Bullseye because opening day at sunset , Bullseye shot a little brown pet milk cow at around 200 yards in a farmer`s pasture. the farmer was crying and not very happy his uncle Larry had to deal with it.

We had a guy in our group we called "Deadeye" for much the same reason. He drilled a prized show horse in the pre-dawn darkness one opening day morning. "Who the hell is shooting at this time of day", I thought. Timmy lost his hunting license for 5 years and had to make restitution to the tune of 20 thousand 1996 dollars, but it was a helluva shot in the dark at over 100 yards.
Originally Posted by RIO7

We do a lot of Quail hunting, we call Meadow Larks Democrat Quail, they are yellow breasted show the white tail flag when they fly and they are slow. Rio7

That is so right....some have actually brought them back to camp. Let one guy clean one, not sure if he ate it or not. Another is the late evening dove hunts - it's not safe for those poor martins.

At the time I would work for various Outfitters as a guide every fall, and was very seasoned at that point, was in my early 30's .
My first experience with a Safari Club hunter, involved a .375 H&H , a Polar bear and two dead moose.
The hunter had been hustled into our camp after killing a boar Polar bear, apparently it was # 28 on Safari club kill list and he needed # 29, a Shiras Bull Moose to earn his gold star, blue ribbon or something.
Moose season was opening the following day, and I had been watching a couple of bulls in a basin I knew quite well, all fall.
I found them , the very next morning in the predictable area. , set him up for a reasonably close shot , over a log , off my pack.
Both were visible, I made it clear which one was slightly better. I said OK when you can take the one one the left.....then the shooting started, he emptied the thing and both moose were hit, I was ticked off and dispatched them with my rifle, a lowly .270.
I let this Texan take the larger and I tagged the smaller.
He never apologized, he never helped in preparing them to get them out by pack horse, he never even looked up at our fabulous Rockies. ( I had to cape his for a shoulder mount)
As it turned out, it made Safari Club book, and he got his#29.
What a flipping hero, this guy, in my opinion didn't even like hunting.
I had to wonder what the Polar Bear guide had thought about this guy, I asked Tex how he liked the bear hunt and said it was killing a beef.
He looked cityish to me, and I doubt he had done that either , for he would of probably missed or wounded it too.Enjoy your day ...God Bless
They do walk among us, don't they.
Originally Posted by comerade

At the time I would work for various Outfitters as a guide every fall, and was very seasoned at that point, was in my early 30's .
My first experience with a Safari Club hunter, involved a .375 H&H , a Polar bear and two dead moose.
The hunter had been hustled into our camp after killing a boar Polar bear, apparently it was # 28 on Safari club kill list and he needed # 29, a Shiras Bull Moose to earn his gold star, blue ribbon or something.
Moose season was opening the following day, and I had been watching a couple of bulls in a basin I knew quite well, all fall.
I found them , the very next morning in the predictable area. , set him up for a reasonably close shot , over a log , off my pack.
Both were visible, I made it clear which one was slightly better. I said OK when you can take the one one the left.....then the shooting started, he emptied the thing and both moose were hit, I was ticked off and dispatched them with my rifle, a lowly .270.
I let this Texan take the larger and I tagged the smaller.
He never apologized, he never helped in preparing them to get them out by pack horse, he never even looked up at our fabulous Rockies. ( I had to cape his for a shoulder mount)
As it turned out, it made Safari Club book, and he got his#29.
What a flipping hero, this guy, in my opinion didn't even like hunting.
I had to wonder what the Polar Bear guide had thought about this guy, I asked Tex how he liked the bear hunt and said it was killing a beef.
He looked cityish to me, and I doubt he had done that either , for he would of probably missed or wounded it too.Enjoy your day ...God Bless

It is not just a Texan - we have hunters from Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, and Oklahoma just to name a few. The most entitled are from Michigan and the ones from Florida are always in a hurry and just want to shoot something. Louisiana and Oklahoma have been our most laid back down to earth guys.
I once watched a very wealthy and self absorbed asshat of a client miss a 60+ inch bull moose. Funny part was that he missed him from 150 or so yards, broadside, in the wide open, from the prone position over a pack with a scoped 375. And not just missing the bull but missing the bull 7 consecutive times!

He swore that heā€™d shot it full of holes, solid hits every one. When we looked and couldnā€™t magically locate him he stomped his feet and told us, ā€œyou guys are terrible Indian trackersā€. None of us were Indians at all! He sulked for a day and then demanded to end his hunt and go home on day 4 of a 10 day hunt. We werenā€™t too disappointedā€¦.
This may not fall exactly in this category but when people say things like:
"Minute of deer" or "Minute of elk", I suppose they somehow are desperately trying to be relating it to minute of angle. Clearly, they do not understand what "minute" refers to or what is meant by "angle".
Another thing that bugs me is when black powder guys say something so utterly stupid such as "grains by volume" - do they even know what they are saying? Grains is mass and mass is not volume.
I tend to call stuff that shoots 3-4MOA minute of deer... not particularly good shooters, but not utterly hopeless bullet flingers.

They won't win you any matches or impress anyone punching paper, but it'll work for hunting short woods ranges... that's my MOD definition.
These are some excellent stories.

True story: spotted a couple deer in a goldenrod field one evening right at dark. 4-5 of us went back the following morning at legal shooting hours going to put the big drive on and get both deer. We lined up along the downwind edge and proceeded to move slowly across the goldenrod. I was on the edge watching likely side escape routes and saw the whole series of events. The deer were still in the field and let a guy get way too close as in about 50 feet. The deer jump up and take off straight away. He shot once and I saw something white fly off the deer and it disappeared in the goldenrod. I was trying to figure out what I saw on my approach to the deer. I got to the deer and we all saw he had shot the deer going straight away. The white thing was it's tail. He hit it at the base of the tail and the bullet traveled forward and hit the deer square in the back of the head. She obviously didn't know what hit her. It took a bit of searching but we found the tail. We still laugh about that 40 years later.

Old true story, back about 1958, i was guiding 2 Calif. hunters, George and Louie, both good guy's and good shot's, we were South of Silt,Colorado on Divide Creek, on horseback, headed up the East end of Grand Mesa, we jumped up a very nice 4x4 buck he came out of a dry wash in a long trot, at about 250 yrds, and they bailed off and started shooting, George had a model 70 300 h&h, Louie a model 70 30-06, there was dirt flying up all around this buck. but no hits, they both unloaded their guns, by then the buck was a long ways away, guess 450-500 yrds, I handed the horses to George, and sat down on the ground put my elbows on my knee's and killed that sucker 1st shot,with my Rem. 721 270.
We had to ride back down the draw about 500 yards to cross and come up the other side and up the hill to get to the buck, on the way Louie, asked me if he could have him, I told him that would be fine with me, I didn't want to use up my tag so early in the season,
he was a hell of a nice 4x4, George, got a good buck the next day, and they loaded up and started home the next morning, back then it was a hell of a drive from Colorado to Calif. no interstate, Harold's Club in Reno,Nev. had a big buck contest all the hunters coming from the west used to enter on the way to Utah, Wyo, Colo, to hunt it was a big deal back then.
A couple of nights after they left, we were sitting down to supper, and the phone rang, it was Louie, and George, they were at Harold's Club, in Reno,Drunker than hell, the buck i gave Louie, was the World Record B&C Typical mule deer, and Louie won a new Jeep and a fancy 300 WBY, and some money, they were excited! I told Louie, he needed to give me the Jeep for shooting the buck for him, he said Hell no! Last time I looked that buck was about 10th in the B&C Book, Louie did send me the 300 WBY, my son has it now. Rio7
Maybe 12 years ago or so, a guy from a neighboring town brought a very nice Roosevelt bull to my house to be scored for the Oregon Record book. It was IIRC a big 6x6 and an absolute dandy of a bull.

While scoring it he told the story of how they saw it and he made some fabulous shot on it and brought it down. It took several shots to get er done.
I asked him what he shot it with and remarked that it sounded like he did good..

He said that he was a retired military sniper ( I don't remember the branch ) and that he makes shots like that all the time. That got my curiosity going and I asked him what his MOS was... he didn't know what that meant and kind of stuttered around.

So I asked him what rifle he used as a sniper and was told a "Winchester long bolt in .270".... Oh, I managed to say - I didn't know the military ever used the .270 as a battle cartridge...? Oh, he says, just in our special sniper units - it's not talked about much.

I looked at his son, who was gazing adoringly at his legendary sniper father, handed them their score sheet and showed them the door...
Why in the world would someone come up with a story of being a sniper and not knowing what MOS meant or what cartridges the military uses? He wasnā€™t ever in a military unit. But then did he tell you about his silver star or bronze stars?
My dad and one of his friends were in a taxidermist shop picking up a red fox mount and a guy came in with a very nice looking white tail buck that he wanted to have mounted. A few clients gathered around to look at it and the guy started telling the taxi of how he shot it on the run at roughly 250 yards and had to track it for almost an hour before he found it. The owner of the buck had his small daughter with him, who was probably around 5 years old and she suddenly blurted out, "My mom held the spot light when my dad shot it"
From the mouths of babes...

Old true story, back about 1958, i was guiding 2 Calif. hunters, George and Louie, both good guy's and good shot's, we were South of Silt,Colorado on Divide Creek, on horseback, headed up the East end of Grand Mesa, we jumped up a very nice 4x4 buck he came out of a dry wash in a long trot, at about 250 yrds, and they bailed off and started shooting, George had a model 70 300 h&h, Louie a model 70 30-06, there was dirt flying up all around this buck. but no hits, they both unloaded their guns, by then the buck was a long ways away, guess 450-500 yrds, I handed the horses to George, and sat down on the ground put my elbows on my knee's and killed that sucker 1st shot,with my Rem. 721 270.
We had to ride back down the draw about 500 yards to cross and come up the other side and up the hill to get to the buck, on the way Louie, asked me if he could have him, I told him that would be fine with me, I didn't want to use up my tag so early in the season,
he was a hell of a nice 4x4, George, got a good buck the next day, and they loaded up and started home the next morning, back then it was a hell of a drive from Colorado to Calif. no interstate, Harold's Club in Reno,Nev. had a big buck contest all the hunters coming from the west used to enter on the way to Utah, Wyo, Colo, to hunt it was a big deal back then.
A couple of nights after they left, we were sitting down to supper, and the phone rang, it was Louie, and George, they were at Harold's Club, in Reno,Drunker than hell, the buck i gave Louie, was the World Record B&C Typical mule deer, and Louie won a new Jeep and a fancy 300 WBY, and some money, they were excited! I told Louie, he needed to give me the Jeep for shooting the buck for him, he said Hell no! Last time I looked that buck was about 10th in the B&C Book, Louie did send me the 300 WBY, my son has it now. Rio7

So, you can't judge antlers.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

So, you can't judge antlers.

Sounds to me like he judged it to be a pretty good deer. The fact he gave it to the client was pretty standard policy at one time....

May sound strange now, but back then, we didn't think much of any Mule deer, that was not 40" or over, the buck in my story turned out to be 36" wish I still had a picture of him, but that stuff got lost in the shuffle of life some where. Rio7
Another true story, I was working with a guide taking 4 guys after mulies, a fair buck ran up the hill maybe 500 yds from us. 2 hunters bailed off their horses and were banging away at him while I held their mounts. Bullets were hitting all around the deer, he'd stopped and seemed amused by all the activity. Another hunter asked if he could shoot, the guide says "I wish you would!" He pulls up offhand & dropped the buck first shot.
500 yards offhand.

Okay.
My dad and one of his friends were in a taxidermist shop picking up a red fox mount and a guy came in with a very nice looking white tail buck that he wanted to have mounted. A few clients gathered around to look at it and the guy started telling the taxi of how he shot it on the run at roughly 250 yards and had to track it for almost an hour before he found it. The owner of the buck had his small daughter with him, who was probably around 5 years old and she suddenly blurted out, "My mom held the spot light when my dad shot it"

Priceless
"Minute of deer" or "Minute of elk", I suppose they somehow are desperately trying to be relating it to minute of angle. Clearly, they do not understand what "minute" refers to or what is meant by "angle".
Another thing that bugs me is when black powder guys say something so utterly stupid such as "grains by volume" - do they even know what they are saying? Grains is mass and mass is not volume.

Grains by volume is a real thing in muzzle-loading. Guys use volume powder measures that are marked in
nominally in grains. You want it in milli-litres? Set it at 100 grains, and fill it with FF and FFF and probably neither one will weigh 100 grains on a scale but every coonskin cap wearer will call both 100 grains by volume. Fill the same measure with Pyrodex and it likely would come in at about 60 grains on a scale; but that is also 100 grains by volume. If that guy specifies 100 grains by volume he is being very specific, and careful. He could make the conversion and weigh his charges; but then he will need to specify that it is 60 grains by weight.

It gets worse; 50 grain pellets weigh about 30 grains. That doesn't mean that you can throw a few extras in there.
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Grains by volume is a real thing in muzzle-loading. Guys use volume powder measures that are marked in
nominally in grains. You want it in milli-litres? Set it at 100 grains, and fill it with FF and FFF and probably neither one will weigh 100 grains on a scale but every coonskin cap wearer will call both 100 grains by volume. Fill the same measure with Pyrodex and it likely would come in at about 60 grains on a scale; but that is also 100 grains by volume. If that guy specifies 100 grains by volume he is being very specific, and careful. He could make the conversion and weigh his charges; but then he will need to specify that it is 60 grains by weight.

It gets worse; 50 grain pellets weigh about 30 grains. That doesn't mean that you can throw a few extras in there.

Well heā€™s just saying that the Lee dippers are calibrated by weight not by volume. Then again that doesnā€™t explain why the dippers have a volume to weight chart for each powder. Maybe Lee has been fugging up for what 80+ years.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Actually that is not as difficult as it sounds. In High-Power silhouette the rams which are about the same size as a deer are set at 500 meters and 5 in a row hits are not uncommon. Off course they are stationary, if you are talking about a 500 yard running shot then it is a whole different ball game.

drover
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Well heā€™s just saying that the Lee dippers are calibrated by weight not by volume. Then again that doesnā€™t explain why the dippers have a volume to weight chart for each powder. Maybe Lee has been fugging up for what 80+ years.

Lee Dippers are sized in cubic centimeters. Its marked right on them. So are their powder measures for that matter. As Richard Lee put it; if its gonna have a number on it it may as well mean something.
"Lee Dippers are sized in cubic centimeters. Its marked right on them. So are their powder measures for that matter. As Richard Lee put it; if its gonna have a number on it it may as well mean something."

Yep--and it's easy to check Lee Dippers for how much powder of a specific brand of powder they hold--and how consistently YOU can use them.

Know more than one professional gun writer who uses them for initial work-up of loads, because at that stage they're a lot faster than weighing each charge, whether with a balance or electronic scale.
I used them in the Northern Territory in Oz, in conjunction with an el-cheapo Lee hand press to keep my .458 running while culling buffalo. It was a way around airline ammo weight limits, and horrendous prices of factory ammo. Also used both loading 7-300, 270 Weatherby, 257 'bee and 30-06 all over Oz and NZ, but for that I also hauled a scale and a set of Competition shell holders. Low tech is a lot better than no tech.
There's always stories. I was in a damn tire shop today and listening to bs. One guy said he shoots long range and he didn't even know what model Nightforce he has. Called it a "SVH". According to him, it's a newer Nightforce made more for longrange hunters. I wasn't the one talking to him, or I would have just laughed. Also when I went to a long range varmint silhouette match a few months ago, the guys there were telling me about a couple rednecks that showed up with their 270's and 30-06's topped with Leupold CDS scopes. They thought thew were going to whip the whole crew. Needless to say, I guess they only hit 3 targets out of 40. I'm assuming those were the close (300 yard squirrel) targets. I wasn't there, but it sounded like it was hilarious. I always hear bullschidt coming out of guys mouths, since I visit a lot of gunshops. I think Cabela's is one of the worst places to hear chidt that will make you laugh. Sometimes I'll say something like the schidt is getting pretty fu cking thick in here. Or holy fu ck you guys are stupid.. ha ha..
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yep--and it's easy to check Lee Dippers for how much powder of a specific brand of powder they hold--and how consistently YOU can use them.

Know more than one professional gun writer who uses them for initial work-up of loads, because at that stage they're a lot faster than weighing each charge, whether with a balance or electronic scale.

I still just use a set of the old Lee dippers I got from my old man back when I first started loading in high school, along with a trickler and scale for all my loading.

I kept meaning to get a powder measure, but somewhere along the way I eventually I just decided I didn't really need one anyway, since I'm normally only cranking out between 40 and 100 rounds in a sitting.

With some powders I have to do a fair bit of trickling, but with others I can dip them right on the mark onto the scale more often than not. One of those things I guess you just get a feel and eye for after a while.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
... Sometimes I'll say something like the schidt is getting pretty fu cking thick in here. Or holy fu ck you guys are stupid.. ha ha..

One day someone may take offense in an unpleasant way.
We were jawing in the (crap- I forgot what we called it - "ready" will do). room waiting for the Ak Air flight we were working to come in. the Liar was regailing us with bang-flop 400 yard caribou shot a couple years go with his open sighted 94-22.

I happened to have my new Leupold 800i rangefinder out in the baggage/garage/freight room, picked up at the PO on the way to work.

hehehe......

"Chris - how far is it across the apron to the flag there?"

"About 250 yards - how far do you call it?"

I said :"about 100"

You're kidding!' said he.

Rangefinder said 93.

hehehe. I'd paced it off 2 days before., expecting the rangefinder.

I'd heard his stories before.... smile

Thanks for the laughs everybody this was an excellent read
I mailed home a handwritten Fatherā€™s Day letter from Iraq in 2003 and later gave him a pic of myself holding the Mossberg 500 I used as the 2nd man through the door on a few raids. He framed them together later on.

Dad was in a gun shop a few years later and some guys were discussing shotguns, specifically Benelli vs REM 870. Dad asked about the Mossberg 500 pumps and mentioned I liked it. (Personally I prefer the slide release and safety locations over the 870 especially)

Guy behind the counter said the military had never, and would never, stoop to using a POS like a Mossberg when there were Benellis and 870s available. Dad brought the pic by later that week. He didnā€™t have much to say.
This stuff can go the opposite direction as well.

Take a hunter who has only hunted in the bush and never took a field shot over 100 yards in his life. For reasons known only to himself he gets a rangefinder and discovers that 300 yards is an unfathomable distance and naturally concludes that everyone who makes such claims is an incorrigible liar and can't wait to corner someone at a gun counter or online and read the gospel to him. Sometimes its better to just watch them make a fool of themselves when they call out some kid who was shooting a .257 Weatherby on the prairies since he was nine, wink
Well, you don't need to bust their chops. There can be more discrete ways of telling someone that they are/were incorrect. One of our self professed gun guru type guys was up front lecturing our gun club meeting and mentioned that bullets rise when they are fired. I went up after the meeting and we had a conversation that gravity starts working on a bullet just like any other object and that bullets DO cross the line of sight twice, but only because the sight and the bullet's path intersect. I demonstrated holding a pencil level representing the barrel and another pencil to represent the sight or scope pointed slightly downward. After the conversation he Googled it and admitted that he had been mistaken when we went to the range together.
Agreed. Not everyone needs to be called out. Some are simply ill informed or inexperienced. Some are blow hard buffoons and need to be humbled. Like the guy claiming he used 20 gauge instead of a 12 because it didnā€™t hurt the dogs when he hit them.
You can't fix stupid, but you need to know your audience. Was it Burger King that tried to market a 1/3 pound hamburger to compete with McDonald's 1/4 Pounder, but they didn't sell well because everyone knows that 4 is larger than 3!
Blow hard Bafoons do not like to be humbled.
The best war story I have heard, was in a bar in TX. The guy was telling us that he was SF in VN and they would go on top secret missions without dog tags, name tags on their uniforms, military IDs and weapons without serial numbers......
Originally Posted by Windfall
You can't fix stupid, but you need to know your audience. Was it Burger King that tried to market a 1/3 pound hamburger to compete with McDonald's 1/4 Pounder, but they didn't sell well because everyone knows that 4 is larger than 3!

I think that the burger joint was A&W.
Okay, bullets donā€™t rise, but what do you call the quasi-parabolic arc the bullet describes in flight?

Or do you have to draw the whole line of sight graph to explain it?
Any time someone says bullets do/don't rise they should also specify with respect to what.
Draw a quasi-parabolic arc for the bullet path relative to the bore. Then, to represent the line of sight, draw a straight line that crosses the bullet path at two points. The first intersection is the near zero and the second intersection is the far zero.
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

The bullet had to go somewhere
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Draw a quasi-parabolic arc for the bullet path relative to the bore. Then, to represent the line of sight, draw a straight line that crosses the bullet path at two points. The first intersection is the near zero and the second intersection is the far zero.

That only works when the muzzle is pointed up. Of course it has to be pointed up to get the trajectory to have a bullet travel any distance, but a bullet doesnā€™t rise if the barrel was level with the ground.
Yep, pointed up, above the sight line
Bullets don't rise above the line of bore. But if the muzzle is pointing up.....
Any time someone says bullets do/don't rise they should also specify with respect to what.

That's really the jist of it. As you know, the bullet drops from line of bore, rises and drops relative to the line of sight, the target and the earth. Hell, the bullet, rifle and shooter are all moving more or less 24,000 mph if you happened to be viewing it from the moon, and it hasn't even been shot yet. Don't even get me started relative to the sun. wink Haven't personally met a shooter yet who could explain why gravity exists, but they still hit things a long ways away with the deficiency. (I'm guessing you're a mass warping space time guy?) smile

If a shooter believed that wind was caused by trees sneezing but held/dialled into the sneeze he'd still be better off than the guy who didn't crank/hold into the sneeze. wink
Haven't personally met a shooter yet who could explain why gravity exists

Does it?
Sure, because everybody knows that apples donā€™t fall up šŸ˜³
Somebody once said there is no gravity, the Earth sucks.
knew some old timers that knew for a fact that their their rifles hit high in the night-time. They weren't wrong, but had long since wondering wondering why. Took me a good few minutes to crack that nut.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Sure, because everybody knows that apples donā€™t fall up šŸ˜³

Gravity, a la Newton, isn't necessarily why.

Does it?

Of course gravity exists, but it isnā€™t the act of falling that is gravity. It is the physics of the phenomenon of larger objects that attract smaller objects due to the difference of mass.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Does it?

Of course gravity exists, but it isnā€™t the act of falling that is gravity. It is the physics of the phenomenon of larger objects that attract smaller objects due to the difference of mass.

Nope.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Does it?

Nope.

Sorry mathman, I nope your nopeā€¦
In Newtonian gravity it isn't larger objects attracting smaller objects. It is mutual attraction, and it isn't due to the difference of mass. It's the product of the masses divided by the square of the distance between them, all multiplied by a scaling constant.
In Newtonian gravity it isn't larger objects attracting smaller objects. It is mutual attraction, and it isn't due to the difference of mass. It's the product of the masses divided by the square of the distance between them, all multiplied by a scaling constant.

The formula for which a body of mass attracts the other is not the definition of gravity. Stick with math, but remember weā€™re not talking math, weā€™re talking massā€¦
You mentioned attraction, which is a force. It is mutual, and in the Newtonian model the attraction which you mentioned is described by the formula I mentioned.

So how do you define gravity? That is, what is your "physics of the phenomenon" you mentioned?

I should say when I asked "Does it?" above I was referring to the force of gravity.
You mentioned attraction, which is a force. It is mutual, and in the Newtonian model the attraction which you mentioned is described by the formula I mentioned.

So how do you define gravity?

OK smarty pants, if you had a scale on the moon, would you weigh what you do on earth?

Of course not, your formula wouldnā€™t work on the moon because the mass of the moon is less than that of the earth and the attraction of your mass to the core of the moon is less, giving you a lighter weight, yet you are the sameā€¦
If we're sticking with Newtonian gravity then the inverse square law would actually say exactly why I'd weigh less on the moon. The mutual attraction between me and the moon would be less because the product of our masses would be less.
If we're sticking with Newtonian gravity then the inverse square law would actually say exactly why I'd weigh less on the moon. The mutual attraction between me and the moon would be less because the product of our masses would be less.

Glip doib googly skizm pakrid smiyrtā€¦
The best war story I have heard, was in a bar in TX. The guy was telling us that he was SF in VN and they would go on top secret missions without dog tags, name tags on their uniforms, military IDs and weapons without serial numbers......

Maybe you never heard of MACV SOG? Or maybe he had? LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There are lots of people that never grasp the following:

If you fire a bullet from a level barrel and at the same time simply drop a bullet (both simultaneously from the exact same height), they will hit the ground at the same time - one just happens to hit way out there and one at your feet.
Originally Posted by WAM

I was just about to say the same thing.

Does it?

It exists as a theory.
OK back on track..I once shot a schitt stain off a nats a$$ @ 445 meters with 90 grains of FFF in a TC Hawken .45 caliber. and a Home poured Maxi Ball. ( special recipe) Would've done it twice but that would be showing off!

Does it?

It exists as a theory.

In 2015 the first gravitational wave was measured using LIGO. Gravity exists as an observable effect, but the physical interpretation depends on the perspective of the observer. Whether an observer interprets gravity as a force or a general relativistic effect doesnā€™t change the inherent physical property resulting in masses tending to move towards each other in the universe. Of course, space-time being distorted by the presence of mass is explained by the theory of general relativity, which has so far been completely consistent with all our measurements and observations of the universe. So thereā€™s that.
And yet it moves.
Some people state things way beyond manā€™s pay grade. Edk

See? There is such a thing as a Partridge front sight:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
not really shooting related, but it involved rinking prowess. I stopped a car one night for a traffic violation. while conversing with the driver I was getting hints of an intoxicating beverage on his breath between ciggarette drags. I asked him if he had had any alcohol to drink that night and he immediately responde with 23 beers.

I said you've drank 23 beers tonight. he replied, yessir. I said well why don't you step on out here and we will go through a few sobriety tests. again he said no sir, why don;t you just pull your car up next to my door and ill slide myself right into the back of your car. If I try and get out now i'll fall over and not get up again. there was a case of coors light with 23 empty cans in his back seat. I asked him how he knew he had drank 23 and he said well he was fishing in the box and there was only one left when I lit him up
Originally Posted by gitem_12
not really shooting related, but it involved rinking prowess. I stopped a car one night for a traffic violation. while conversing with the driver I was getting hints of an intoxicating beverage on his breath between ciggarette drags. I asked him if he had had any alcohol to drink that night and he immediately responde with 23 beers.

I said you've drank 23 beers tonight. he replied, yessir. I said well why don't you step on out here and we will go through a few sobriety tests. again he said no sir, why don;t you just pull your car up next to my door and ill slide myself right into the back of your car. If I try and get out now i'll fall over and not get up again. there was a case of coors light with 23 empty cans in his back seat. I asked him how he knew he had drank 23 and he said well he was fishing in the box and there was only one left when I lit him up

He was honest.
Originally Posted by WAM

X2. Jericho, Google MACV SOG Across the fence.
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by WAM

Itā€™s one of my favorites. Tilt is one of my grown man heroā€™s as are the other Recon men. The work they all did was amazing. Even today stuff like that would blow peoples minds.
Originally Posted by WAM

Just ordered it from Jeff.
Just checked out MACV SOG, very interesting....so the weapons without serial numbers was true?
Just checked out MACV SOG, very interesting....so the weapons without serial numbers was true?

Not sure about the serials as I wasnā€™t there with them but they were allowed allowed a lot of liberties with their weapons.
The guy seemed pretty serious when he was telling us this stuff, wasnt bragging and actually looked like he was still in the military, hair cut, demeanor, etc.
I just lost a good friend that was there. Spent time across the fence, MACV SOG member 67-69. Incredible stories.
I can put all my shots into one hole at 1000 yards.

Photo of the target here:

https://tinyurl.com/yunpbyd3

smile

Bruce
I just lost a good friend that was there. Spent time across the fence, MACV SOG member 67-69. Incredible stories.

Sorry for the loss of your buddy. Those fellas did amazing work and when you look back at their ages itā€™s even more incredible. Theyā€™re still looked upon highly for their actions in Vietnam.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

If you fire a bullet from a level barrel and at the same time simply drop a bullet (both simultaneously from the exact same height), they will hit the ground at the same time - one just happens to hit way out there and one at your feet.

What if the gun is a magnum shooting a liteweight bullet?
It will take less time for the bullet to hit earth. It ain't rocket surgery.

Not sure about the serials as I wasnā€™t there with them but they were allowed allowed a lot of liberties with their weapons.
MadDog Schriver had a 444 Marlin sent over........

Studies and Observations Group.........their true stories humble most menā€™s best lies.......
Originally Posted by WAM

Iā€™ll get that.
John L Plasters book is excellent also, Major he was over there 69-71
If you guys listen to Podcasts, check out one named SOGCAST. Also, if you search Jockos podcasts you can find the episodes where he interviews John Stryker Meyers. Very good listening if youā€™re into that sort of thing.
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

MadDog Schriver had a 444 Marlin sent over........

Studies and Observations Group.........their true stories humble most menā€™s best lies.......

Agreed. Amazing stories from a bunch of young warriors doing Gods work against communism.

Gravity works on lightweight bullets too šŸ˜

All bets are off, and the laws of physics cease to apply.
I've a friend who, if he says, "Is that so?" - he's calling BS. He is very polite and I've never heard him utter a swear word.

Ya gotta know the code.....

Jokes on him tho - the only time he laid that on me it was a true, unvarnilshed tale. Fishing at that!

Sometime, I'll tell it here, maybe.
Well, I'd like to brag. I have a Salvage 10 FP on its second barrel. But the first barrel made me proud. We were having "sight in" and most of us range-masters (hunters are SCARY) brought some of our own iron for when it would get slow. So one of the guys was interested in my hard-ridden 223, which was putting nice groups on the target at just 100 yards. "Can I try it?" "Sure!"
So, he starts working on one hole, still has one perfectly-centered hole after four and EVERYONE is on the spotting scope for the fifth. The cheers were loud, okay? Best group that barrel ever, ever shot, a .281. I stalked over to the bench, scowled at the rifle and said "Ungrateful b1tch, I am NOT selling you!"
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Check out a High Power Silhouette match sometime. Hitting a life size ram at 550 yds is not excessively difficult, but it is challenging. I generally hit 3 out of 10. My best is 5. Off of a bench it would be easy.

EDIT: I am zeroed at 550 yds., just for this game. With a 100 yd zero it would make things much more challenging. 8 ft drop between a 100 zero and a 550 yd target. .30-06/180 gr bullet. YMMV
Originally Posted by Craigster
It will take less time for the bullet to hit earth. It ain't rocket surgery.

Long after that one that was dropped as this one exited the muzzle.

Makes not difference. Galileo Galilei proved that 400 years ago by dropping stuff off the leaning tower of Pisa.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Check out a High Power Silhouette match sometime. Hitting a life size ram at 550 yds is not excessively difficult, but it is challenging. I generally hit 3 out of 10. My best is 5. Off of a bench it would be easy.

EDIT: I am zeroed at 550 yds., just for this game. With a 100 yd zero it would make things much more challenging. 8 ft drop between a 100 zero and a 550 yd target. .30-06/180 gr bullet. YMMV

Hitting a life sized ram and hitting a buck in the kill zone are two different things, I think.

P
I'm one of "those hunters". I hunt in pretty thick brush, I realized most of my shots were 20-30 yards, if that. Some are so close I wonder if I should hold low. A couple years ago I had a longer shot at a decent deer, I guestimated 160-170 yards. In any event not far enough to have to "hold over", but a long shot for me. I shot, bang flop. Later I bought a range finder and measured it at 120 yards. Good thing all of my shots are short. Using the range finder I found that I was way over estimating the range.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Hitting a life sized ram and hitting a buck in the kill zone are two different things, I think.

P

One goes whang, the other goes kawhop!
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Makes not difference. Galileo Galilei proved that 400 years ago by dropping stuff off the leaning tower of Pisa.

If you're talking "way out there". There's a couple of monkey wrenches to consider. The first is Coriolis Drift if firing a rifled barrel, depending on where on the earth you are and in what direction you're firing;
Litz on the Coriolis Effect
Coriolis Drift can have a vertical component to it that opposes the forces of gravity.

The other factor is the curvature of the earth. The farther out you're shooting, the curvature of the earth causes the drop distance to the ground to increase.

BTW, Galileo found that the heavier ball hit the ground first.
Galileo's experiment
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

If you're talking "way out there". There's a couple of monkey wrenches to consider. The first is Coriolis Drift if firing a rifled barrel, depending on where on the earth you are and in what direction you're firing;
Litz on the Coriolis Effect
Coriolis Drift can have a vertical component to it that opposes the forces of gravity.

The other factor is the curvature of the earth. The farther out you're shooting, the curvature of the earth causes the drop distance to the ground to increase.

BTW, Galileo found that the heavier ball hit the ground first.
Galileo's experiment

Every school kid knows the gravitational effect is proven in a vacuum. Atmosphere alters the drag on the object falling at different levels depending on weight and resistance due to surface area.
A stopper to the whopper, might be a demonstration of positional shooting. His and yours.
The talking heads, just might have to come up with some other whopper once they miss 100% of there shots at 100 yards. Use a competion target and score the target afterward.
It can be humbling .
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Lotta guys do this or that or just talk about doing this or that.. Thing is anything you want to do requires the right equipment and skills to do it, then practice at it till you can. Pretty simple really. Every Father's day week and weekend I shoot a 45-70 at a 800yd target and hit it about 1/3 to 1/2 the time, might even do better if I used a scope. There are guys who are a lot better at it, I just need more practice....mb

I don't doubt it. We were aiming at large rocks in a river a hell of a long way down in a valley with a .30-30. You could put the bottom of the scope on the rock, fire and then wait for the splash. It was more like artillery. Fun! The hunter that owned the place said it was about 600 yards. I don't know.

I witnessed a guy in South Africa ping an 8" metal target over and over, offhand at 200m, with his ancient bolt action hunting .22 LR. "I know my own guns". He very much did.

I'm sure I heard BS stories, especially at gun shops, but I don't remember any of them. Just remember feelings of wistful incredulity.
Long ago I went rabbit hunting with a buddy of mine and didnā€™t particularly feel like cleaning any rabbits that day. I showed up for the hunt with a 9.5ā€ Ruger single six. As we prepared for the hunt my companion noticed me buckling my belt and asked what I was planning on doing with my chosen weapon. I told him I was going to shoot rabbits! He doubted me as well as my confidence. Some time later I was standing on a brush pile in a rather off balance position and jumping up and down trying to spook out any inhabitants. Just then a small bird burst out at a very high rate of speed. About as fast as Iā€™ve ever moved in my life I drew that long barreled 22 and shot towards about my 4-5oā€™clock. Iā€™ll be damned but that little tweety went poof and tumbled to the earth dead as a stone. I opened the gate, pushed out the empty and loaded another into the chamber, and acted as if I knew exactly what had just happened. Thankfully we never saw any rabbits that day!
One of my dads friends in PENN was deer hunting in doe season and spotted one about 250 yards or so away from his stand and took steady aim and fired. He was using a 7RM if I remember correctly and when he looked again through his scope, the deer was still standing. He fired again and the deer was still standing, after the third shot the deer dropped. He walked over to the dead deer and discovered 3 dead deer instead of just one. My dad told me later on, that he believed that there were 3 deer, but his friend didnt do it by accident......

Similar thing happened to my BIL. I had found a really good place on an old logging road for a stand and invited my BIL to come over and hunt with me. I had killed a buck and doe the day before, so I let him hunt that place the next day. We had been hunting about an hour when I heard him shoot..... Good, got him a deer! Few minutes later, he shoots again..... Hmm, maybe a buck and a doe? Few minutes later another shot..... Uh-oh, this aint good. I walk over there and he's just standing at the stand, shaking his head. What happened? He said he saw a deer, crossing l to r, so he shot and the deer ran to the right. A few minutes later, 30 or so yds farther down the logging road, he sees a deer crossing r to l and thinking he had missed, he shot again. Then another few minutes later, a little farther down the logging road, he sees a deer crossing l to r, and again thinking he had missed, he shot again. He climbed down and walked to where he first saw the deer and there was blood. Followed it to the right and there lay a dead deer. Walked to where he saw the second deer and there was blood, walked to the left and there was a dead deer. Walked to where he saw the last deer, and no blood. We looked and looked, but it looked like he had missed. Went back to the stand and saw where he had hit a limb about 20 ft from the stand, with the last shot.
I've probably told it before, but I worked for a few years at a large public shooting range as a range officer. A few times people came to me and the conversation went:

"I'd like to move over to then 400 yard range."

(I'd give them a puzzled look.)

They'd point, and I'd say "That's 200".

"Well what's this?"

"That's 100."

"Well what was I shooting at?"

"You were at fifty."

"Oh."

Yes, THOSE are the guys that shoot their deer at 500 yards.
The only true story on here is the guy with one HP, two spitzers, and one round nose.
Thanks for the entertainment, guys.

To think I was proud of shooting a deer at 130ish yards with a BP rifle. laugh

I think I got one at about 150 one time too. laugh

I think the majority are at about 1,0 yards (the comma makes it look impressive).
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Similar thing happened to my BIL. I had found a really good place on an old logging road for a stand and invited my BIL to come over and hunt with me. I had killed a buck and doe the day before, so I let him hunt that place the next day. We had been hunting about an hour when I heard him shoot..... Good, got him a deer! Few minutes later, he shoots again..... Hmm, maybe a buck and a doe? Few minutes later another shot..... Uh-oh, this aint good. I walk over there and he's just standing at the stand, shaking his head. What happened? He said he saw a deer, crossing l to r, so he shot and the deer ran to the right. A few minutes later, 30 or so yds farther down the logging road, he sees a deer crossing r to l and thinking he had missed, he shot again. Then another few minutes later, a little farther down the logging road, he sees a deer crossing l to r, and again thinking he had missed, he shot again. He climbed down and walked to where he first saw the deer and there was blood. Followed it to the right and there lay a dead deer. Walked to where he saw the second deer and there was blood, walked to the left and there was a dead deer. Walked to where he saw the last deer, and no blood. We looked and looked, but it looked like he had missed. Went back to the stand and saw where he had hit a limb about 20 ft from the stand, with the last shot.
That would be funny had I not done the exact same thing once. And yes I got the third one too. šŸ˜³
Sort a related. A lawyer friend of mine that Iā€™ve hunted with is a terrible shot. He has plenty money but never practices shooting.
He shoots a BAR 30/06.
So he asks me to take him to my club to sight in his deer rifle.
He brings a grocery sack with half dozen different part boxes of all different bullet weights, and there was quite a few loose rounds in the bag.
I get the rifle close to sighted in given the mix of ammo.
Then a I grab one of the loose cartridges to try.
It didnā€™t feel right. I looked at the head stamp, it was an 8 mm Mauser. He said someone gave him some extra ammo.
I donā€™t know if that sheā€™ll would have chambered.
I donā€™t hunt with him anymore.
© 24hourcampfire