Home
Posted By: elkrazy 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/03/10
Still planning and dreaming about a Dall sheep hunt. All this talk about the 257 Roberts has me thinking - what about using the Roberts for Dall Sheep?

I am leaning toward going to the NWTs right now but maybe the Brooks Range. I had hoped to book last year but it has been pushed back a bit. I would go only for Sheep on this hunt - except a wolverine if I see one - I have always wanted one!

Would it a bad idea in Grizzly country? Would it be light for the ranges I might be shooting? Have any of you used one for Dall?
It sounds like this might be a once in a life time hunt, so if you have doubts about the 257 maybe you maybe should consider something else. I have taken a lot of animals with a 25-06, and a friend of mine took a dall sheep with one and he said it worked fine. I think a 257 bob will do most of what a 25-06 will do but I have limited experience with one. I have never hunted sheep so I don't know how tough they are to put down, but I have heard you want to anchor them on the spot so they don't fall off a cliff. If it were me and I had something with a little more steam like a 270 or a 7 mag I would probably go that way. For a sheep hunt I don't think my 25-06 would be my first choice, but if it was my only choice I wouldn't hesitate.
Posted By: orion03 Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/03/10
I think it's only right to use a 270 WCF.
It would be an excellent choice. Especially in one of those NULAs or a Kimber Montana. Its sounds like you would have a guide. Frank Entsminger is the Jack O'Connor of sheep guides. He hunted with a 600 remington in a 243 winchester as his guide rifle for many years.

Just make sure that your gun will function in the worst possible environment and that it can place the bullet within 1.5 MOA at 400 yards.

Your guide will be impressed if you take such a weapon and demonstrate a high level of proficiency with it.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Not a gun writer, and never shot a sheep...BUT, if were dropping $12k+ on a hunt, i would be looking for the Bang---Flop. I would carry a bigger gun.
Under what scenario would the roberts not work that something else would? A 100gr .25 caliber bullet is plenty for sheep. 3000+fps will shoot flat enough and still have enough energy at 300+ yards. Bullet placement is far more important than cartridge.
That could be said for any animal...
The 257 Roberts won't have any trouble putting down a dall sheep or even a grizzly if you do your part. Only issue I see is the possibility of you loosing your ammo and not being able to replace it. Other than that, I would have no problem using the 257 Bob for sheep.
I have shot quite a few sheep and quite a few with the Roberts. I have also used a 243, a 270, a 30-06, and a 300WM. And I have been there when sheep were shot with the 7x57, 7-08, and several others I am sure I have forgotten.

Use a good bullet and put it through the shoulders. Sheep country is steep, but not treacherous like goat country very often. Putting them down now is good but the they are not likely to fall as far. And when they do their horns are lots tougher than goat horns.

Unfortunately, my experience with the Roberts was almost exclusively with cup and core bullets and I jaundiced my opinion of the cartridge because of the bullets.

The 243 sheep was about 100 yards out and grazing. The first shot was tight behind the front leg. The next several were plenty close enough to the first and any would have killed him. He mostly just continued to feed while being shot. Then he tipped over and died.
art
Posted By: elkrazy Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/04/10
What would you consider an acceptable weight for a sheep rifle?

I have a 270 win that with scope and loaded it 8.25 pounds. I figured it was more important to worry about the lbs on me, not the gun (as a side note I have now lost 35 of the 50 lbs I want to loose for this hunt). But now I am thinking a NULA would be just the ticket. I could about 2 lbs lighter rifle - and the way people talk about them ...

But if I get a NULA, what caliber do I get? Another 270? (I could do that) A 257 Roberts? (JB seems to love the NULA 257 Roberts combo) A 6.5x55? A 7-08?
If you had a month in sheep country I would think it would be a great choice but in a once and lifetime hunt I like a bit more margin of error. The 257 Roberts is my favorite cartridge.

ddj
Originally Posted by elkrazy

But if I get a NULA, what caliber do I get? Another 270? (I could do that) A 257 Roberts? (JB seems to love the NULA 257 Roberts combo) A 6.5x55? A 7-08?

Take your pick, all would do very well.
Originally Posted by elkrazy
What would you consider an acceptable weight for a sheep rifle?

I have a 270 win that with scope and loaded it 8.25 pounds. I figured it was more important to worry about the lbs on me, not the gun (as a side note I have now lost 35 of the 50 lbs I want to loose for this hunt). But now I am thinking a NULA would be just the ticket. I could about 2 lbs lighter rifle - and the way people talk about them ...

I have never heard anyone coming back from a sheep hunt saying they were going to get a heavier rifle for their next hunt... More often than not the shot is pretty anticlimactic. Even a light rifle should be capable of shooting farther than most should.

A 7-08 or 7x57 would be my first choices these days, but that is 100% opinion and the chamber is absolutely the least important aspect of the rifle within any reasonable realm. Cannot understand the concept of going for the lightest possible rifle and making it a long action, so that sets one parameter. The Roberts is often thought of as a little long for a SA...
Posted By: joed49 Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/04/10
I've never owned a .257 Roberts but do own a .25-06 Rem. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 06 on sheep. The only problem with the Roberts from what I've read is they are handicapped on the short action with the heavier bullets. I think that's why a lot of the ammo companies show a max of 100 gr for the cartridge. I'd have no problem with either .25 cal but would want a heavy 115-120 gr bullet.
I have been fortunate to bring home two Dall Sheep, both with a .270Win.. The first was at 385yds. lasered with a 140gr BT's. At the hit the ram stood there and slowly rolled over. The second was with a 140gr. Accubond at 110 yards hard right quartering away. The bullet went into the the right quarter and ended in the brisket. The ram continuing over the hill, fell and slid down the steep slide about 150 yards.
The guide has had clients bring short action calibers on up to 300 Wthby.. The sheep isn't hard to bring down. Sitka posted good stuff on Sheep vs. Mt. Goat. My goat hunt was a bit tougher climb. We came in from above two billies. The guide picked one out and I crawled to the ledge and put a 180gr Partition between his shoulders at 42 yards. That was with a 300WM. I only brought that because there was a chance at a brown bear too. With a spine hit, he fell and slid down a rock slide about 900 feet. Luckily no damage and it was in the direction of camp.

If you serious about the NULA, I would build a .270Win. over a .257Bob. A few more options that are appeal to me. No fleas on the Bob but that is just me. But its your money, not mine.

Good on your weight loss. Train, train and train. I have come to the conclusion there is nothing suited to get you in sheep shape other than sheep hunting!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Posted By: bcp Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/04/10
An extra 2 pounds carried in the hands all day is far more tiring than an extra 2 pounds carried around the waist all day.

smile

Bruce
+1 to what Sitka Deer and bigwhoop said. I've killed one Dall sheep and been on other sheep hunts and everyone always comes away wishing for a lighter rifle, so if you can afford a lightweight custom then you'll be better off as long as you can shoot it well by the time your hunt rolls around. Sheep don't take much killing and Dall's are fairly light-boned animals so the .257 Roberts would do the job, as would anything from .243 on up. The one thing you might consider when deciding on the chambering is long shots and the wind. The wind can be pretty extreme up on the mountain at times and longer shots, over 300 yards are becoming more common. Obviously, you can limit your range to what you're comfortable with, but if you're confident in your chosen cartridge and abilities, you can push that envelope a little if you need to and not be worrying about it. Wind will play havoc with any bullet in any size, but the lighter weight bullets will move more under the same conditions. Just some thoughts. You also have to consider whether you want a rifle designed solely around one hunt that you may never do again. You obviously have an interest in the Roberts and would probably use it for other hunting. If you get a new rifle in another chambering, will you want to use it as much once the sheep hunt is over? Would it bother you if the rifle just sat around after the hunt?

In any case, good luck on the hunt and weight loss!
I've only shot one Dall and that was with a 6.5-284 that weighs about 7 lbs. If I were doing it again and thinking of a NULA I'd pick the same cartridge in the M-20 which was designed around the 284 case. The M-20 NULA 6.5-284 I eventually had was a very accurate rifle, IMO perfect for the mountains.
Posted By: Huntz Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/05/10
I have never shot a Sheep but have always thought of the 7X57 or 270 as ideal.I would invest the money in a NULA.It will be your companion the rest of your life.I figure you can get profecient with it with no worries which will take a lot of tension away from the hunt.One peice of advice from having done some mountain hunting is to buy two scopes exactly the same.Mount them in Quick release mounts and zero them both in.Carry the spare with you in your daypack.Nothin can screw a hunt more than having your scope go cowchit!!!!!
It's funny how the 7x57 seems to have the image of a cult cartridge more aligned with older more mature hunters, who are in rationalization phase, because it is actually very suited to the majority of animals that will ever be hunted.

The reason it works, is simper than sales pitch could infer, in that it is a very mild cartridge to shoot. Most readers accept the virtues of a 7mm 140gn bullet and once you experience the comfortable and the mild report and recoil, you are able to more uniformly place those bullets exactly where you want as your focus is aligned to concentration on placement and not on the other two detracting factors.

There is very little in this world that cannot be taken by that bullet when loaded in the 2850-2950 fps range. It shoots flat, hits hard and the bullets available are mostly game bullets in their contruction so it is not as easy to make a bad choice.

I have been using the cartridge for most of the last 30 years and it has the highest number of DRT's of all cartridges I have used or seen used on medium game from 100 to 1,000 pounds. I put that down to good bullets placed correctly more than anything else.

Sure, I have seen some pretty dynamic DRT's from time to time,using other cartridges, but the 7x57 speaks more quietly than most and still carries the big stick. I have obtained over 5 feet of penetration with 140gn X bullets and 4 plus feet of penetration with 160gn Failsafes.

After many years of consideration over the matter, I put the extra penetration down to the "velocity of the penetration" which is an unprovable factor I favor. In the end,I have recovered 160gn Failsafe's but have never recoverd a 140gn Barnes bullet.

Regarding the original question concerning the .257 Roberts, it is the 7x57 necked down, so it has heritage and the competence of the .257 bore. It will work well on sheep, but if I were looking for a rifle that will suit a larger range of game after this hunt is concluded, I would favor the 7mm over the .257.

John
Posted By: buffybr Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/05/10
My .257 Ackley shooting 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads has been my favorite deer, antelope, and sheep rifle for the past 40 years. It started as a Mauser Mark X .25-05 barreled action that I had re-chambered to .257 AI in the late '70s. It's topped with a compact 6x Leupold scope.

With it's leather sling and Fajen fancy walnut stock it weighs a little more than 9 1/2 lbs. I fitted it with a synthetic stock for my MacKenzie Mountains Dall sheep hunt, but that's the only time I've had that stock on it.

I've used this rifle on quite a few DIY Montana Unlimited permit area bighorn sheep hunts and it made one shot kills on 4 rams. It also made a lasered 206 yd one shot kill on this 39 3/4" MacKenzie Mountains Dall ram.
[Linked Image]

After I shot that Dall ram, I used my .257 AI to make a 250 yd one shot kill on a Mountain caribou bull. And on one Unlimited bighorn hunt, I didn't see any rams, but when a 330" 6 pt bull elk walked into view, a 117 gr GameKing bullet from my .257 AI dropped him in his tracks.

My experience has only been with the .257 Ackley Improved, and reloading manuals give a 200 fps advantage to the .257 AI over the standard .257 Roberts. But I have been in several discussions with very knowledgeable shooters that claim in modern rifles, the .257 Roberts or P+ loads are not that far behind the Ackley version.

In any case, if I ever draw another North American sheep tag, I will be carrying my .257 Ackley hunting them.
Originally Posted by buffybr
With it's leather sling and Fajen fancy walnut stock it weighs a little more than 9 1/2 lbs.

That weighs more than my 338 Win mag... eek
I'll bet thats fun to shoot.....
My .257 Ackley shooting 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads has been my favorite deer, antelope, and sheep rifle for the past 40 years.

My experience has only been with the .257 Ackley Improved, and reloading manuals give a 200 fps advantage to the .257 AI over the standard .257 Roberts. But I have been in several discussions with very knowledgeable shooters that claim in modern rifles, the .257 Roberts or P+ loads are not that far behind the Ackley version.

In any case, if I ever draw another North American sheep tag, I will be carrying my .257 Ackley hunting them.

Buff, I've never hunted sheep but your Dall looks like a nice one!

FWIW, the 117SGK's shoot really well in my 257 Roberts, 44 grains of H4350 makes about 2900fps through the 22" barrel.

Antelope buck this Fall was laying down at the shot and didn't get up, feet straight out. Indian buddy shot the head off a pheasant at 50 yards, the Sierra worked good on that shot too....(grin)
Sovereign Nation........you forgot to mention.....grin!
The Rez does have it's perks.....(laughin'!)
Stop by sometime....I always have a pot on..
10-4 Pat, sounds good!
Posted By: Yukoner Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by SamOlson
FWIW, the 117SGK's shoot really well in my 257 Roberts, 44 grains of H4350 makes about 2900fps through the 22" barrel.

And that, right there, is the magic of the 257 Robers. Great killing machine, light recoil, shoots flat enough to hit out beyond 300 yd, and does it with a measly 44 gr of powder.

Ted
Posted By: pointer Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/06/10
If I were seriously conteplating a NULA, a M20 in 284 Win or 6.5X284 would be VERY high on the list of candidates...
Posted By: johnw Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/06/10
My .257 Ackley shooting 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads has been my favorite deer, antelope, and sheep rifle for the past 40 years. It started as a Mauser Mark X .25-05 barreled action that I had re-chambered to .257 AI in the late '70s.

i'm curious as to why you made that particular change???
Posted By: buffybr Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by johnw
My .257 Ackley shooting 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads has been my favorite deer, antelope, and sheep rifle for the past 40 years. It started as a Mauser Mark X .25-05 barreled action that I had re-chambered to .257 AI in the late '70s.

i'm curious as to why you made that particular change???

I bought and read Vol I & II of "Handbook For Reloaders and Shooters" by PO Ackley.

I also thought it was a cool looking case. laugh
Posted By: johnw Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/06/10
OK, thanks...

i recently had a 25-06 done up and am having a blast with it...

i always wanted a .257, but had that standard action and couldn't resist...

i may have a .257 before it's over, too...
Posted By: luke Re: 257 Roberts for Dall Sheep - 12/07/10
I had a Ruger 7ts 257 Roberts, rechambered to AI a bunch of years ago, and have shot quite a few deer and some other varmits with it, using the 100 gr Hornady at 3130 mv. This combination really works for me, but if I were going on a Sheep hunt I would use the 115 gr Nosler PT, and never have a second thought. The standard 257 is no handicap.
© 24hourcampfire