Home
Posted By: deertroy1 Shallow Gun Safe - 10/16/12
Does anyone make a shallow wide gun safe. I'd like a safe that allows me to remove the rifle I want without removing the others. Basically I would like the safe to be shallow, say 12" deep, and wide. This way it would hold 10 or 12 guns that could be removed easily. Safe kisses are just a polite way of saying my guns are all scratched up!
Posted By: Pete E Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/16/12
Not sure what you guys get over there, but over here (because of our laws) they are very common..Most would best be described as "lockers" and offer only minimal protection, but some are pretty good, but still short of a full on safe.

Also many of these locker style cabinets have no or little fire protection.

Google "Bratton Sound" and you will see examples of whats available..
Posted By: deertroy1 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/16/12
That's kind of what I'm looking for. I don't mind if it's a bit deeper. I just do not want to have to remove guns to get at guns.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/16/12
That is a really good idea, although I haven't seen any like that, either. Last week I saw a safe that comes in component sections that you put together, bolting from the inside. I don't think any one section weighed much over 100 pounds. I liked this idea, because I couldn't find anybody local who would deliver and set up a safe for me. Unfortunately, the component safe was rather expensive, but still an interesting concept.
Posted By: djs Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12
Originally Posted by deertroy1
Does anyone make a shallow wide gun safe. I'd like a safe that allows me to remove the rifle I want without removing the others. Basically I would like the safe to be shallow, say 12" deep, and wide. This way it would hold 10 or 12 guns that could be removed easily. Safe kisses are just a polite way of saying my guns are all scratched up!

I share your sentiments and haven't found any that meet my needs. Here is one idea: Pendelton Safes are rotary and it is easy to remove the rifle you want - see: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/safes/

I would get one, except they lack fire protection,.
Posted By: deertroy1 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12
That's a better idea than a conventional safe. You would think someone would offer a wide safe that allows you to store guns in a single line. I realize it would take up more wall space but some of us are not cramped for space!
Posted By: Pete E Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12
That's a better idea than a conventional safe. You would think someone would offer a wide safe that allows you to store guns in a single line. I realize it would take up more wall space but some of us are not cramped for space!

Have you tried Google?

Cabelas do a variety that might be suitable..Take a look at the Stack-On Eight-Gun Ready-to-Assemble Cabinet..

[Linked Image]

These appear to be self assembly, but I am sure there must be others out there ready built and offering more security..

Posted By: timbo762 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12
Your idea is far to convenient to be offered as a "stock" item by a major manufacturer. Seriously, long, shallow, free-standing "real" safes holding 10-12 rifles would be a "hard sell" from a retail stand point. And buy "real", I mean fire proof with thick drill resistant dead lock doors with internal hinges. Anything else is a storage cabinet. Good doors make up most of cost of a safe, the body adding weight and storage space. The cost of building a 12" deep model would be almost as much (or more) as a 24" or 30" deep one with the same height and width dimensions, but hold far fewer guns. Since most buyers want the most "bang for the buck", it would be a hard sell. My advice is to deal with a manufacturer/direct seller. Find a standard model you like, and ask them to make you one with a shallower depth and no interior. It will probably cost the same or a little more than the full size model, but you'll have what you want. If you don't need real security. almost any sheet metal fabricator can make a storage cabinet to your specifications.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12
Originally Posted by djs

I share your sentiments and haven't found any that meet my needs. Here is one idea: Pendelton Safes are rotary and it is easy to remove the rifle you want - see: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/safes/

Those look friggin sweet, $$$$???
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/17/12

If you arent cramped for space, then this is the ticket. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-presidential-safes-ps-4.html?tab=sizes. Lots of room to grow. wink

Swifty
Posted By: SEdge Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/18/12
There is a company in N.C. called Drake that builds safes a friend had them build a door for a gun room that looked like a bank vault. He would probably build what ever you wanted if you have the cash.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/18/12
Originally Posted by SEdge
There is a company in N.C. called Drake that builds safes a friend had them build a door for a gun room that looked like a bank vault. He would probably build what ever you wanted if you have the cash.

That's my idea of gun safe.

I have no idea what use a small safe would be. Guns multiply, usually without your knowledge.
Posted By: deertroy1 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/18/12
Originally Posted by djs

The fire protection thing is all hype. Ask any insurance agent and they tell you that must guns that go through a house fire in a safe don't make it.
Looks like I'll have to build my own out of cinder blocks and buy a vault door.
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/18/12

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/291/G1055C_Gun_Safe

These are pretty inexpensive. I got mine for around $175 from Academy on sale.

But if I could, I'd buy a Zanotti.....
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/18/12
If the safe was heavy - fire lined, thick door, etc, but shallow in depth in might be more prone to tipping over when the door was opened frown I could see that problem causing enough lawsuits to discourage their production.

I recall the old gun display cabinets that people used to have 50 years ago. If one could invent one that was similar sized, but secure, it might be a good deal.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/19/12
Liberty has a "Fatboy Jr." model that is quite wide, but pretty shallow (or as shallow as you'll find at that width (38" wide, only 15" deep inside). They go for $999 here at Gebo's (like a Tractor Supply). I know that Gander Mountain carries them also (for more money).
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/19/12
^ This.

Just buy a wide one and only use the front.

Sycamore
Posted By: deertroy1 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/19/12
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If the safe was heavy - fire lined, thick door, etc, but shallow in depth in might be more prone to tipping over when the door was opened frown I could see that problem causing enough lawsuits to discourage their production.

I recall the old gun display cabinets that people used to have 50 years ago. If one could invent one that was similar sized, but secure, it might be a good deal.

I'd anchor it to the wall!
Posted By: deertroy1 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/19/12
Originally Posted by Sycamore
^ This.

Just buy a wide one and only use the front.

Sycamore

Actually I'd do that if they made them without all the funky shelves and just had spaces for guns across the back and sides?
Posted By: doubletap Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/20/12
Scrap the shelves and have a cabinet shop build you racks for the back and sides.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/20/12
I too have been looking at safes for years. I once made an offer on a beautiful Browining safe at a business sale. The guy running the sale wouldn't take my offer and told me to go look at the side of the safe that was up against the wall. This vault was one of those very expensive and beautifully finished safes with the nicely finished picture on the front and the big three handled locking mechanism. It must have had 12 big 1 inch bolts that locked the door closed and it certainly was fire proof. Guess what, the safe had been burlgled. No half-way intelligent burglar will try and go thru the massive front door. The front door is all for show. What these burglars did was to drill 4 holes in a square pattern about 6-7 inches apart about 2/3 is the way toward the top of one side. They they drilled more smaller holes between the 4 larger holes. Then they used a hack saw and cut between the holes and pryed the flap open they had cut. They reached in, one arm at a time, felt around till they found a gun and lifted it out thru the newly cut flap in the side of the vault.

Since seeing the burgled Browning safe I have been looking more at the material thickness and type metal on the top and sides of the vaults than at the massive doors.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/20/12
Originally Posted by Rolly
I too have been looking at safes for years. I once made an offer on a beautiful Browining safe at a business sale. The guy running the sale wouldn't take my offer and told me to go look at the side of the safe that was up against the wall. This vault was one of those very expensive and beautifully finished safes with the nicely finished picture on the front and the big three handled locking mechanism. It must have had 12 big 1 inch bolts that locked the door closed and it certainly was fire proof. Guess what, the safe had been burlgled. No half-way intelligent burglar will try and go thru the massive front door. The front door is all for show. What these burglars did was to drill 4 holes in a square pattern about 6-7 inches apart about 2/3 is the way toward the top of one side. They they drilled more smaller holes between the 4 larger holes. Then they used a hack saw and cut between the holes and pryed the flap open they had cut. They reached in, one arm at a time, felt around till they found a gun and lifted it out thru the newly cut flap in the side of the vault.

Since seeing the burgled Browning safe I have been looking more at the material thickness and type metal on the top and sides of the vaults than at the massive doors.

LOL, musta took alot of time to do that. Thats why I pay 50 bucks a month for a monitored alarm system. They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?

Swifty
Posted By: Rolly Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/21/12
I too have kept my little inconspicuous floor safe for my guns and installed a 24x7 alarm system that is monitored for doors, motion and fire. The big fancy safes, as beautiful as they are, are going to have to wait. I'd rather go on a hunt !
Posted By: djs Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Rolly

LOL, musta took alot of time to do that. Thats why I pay 50 bucks a month for a monitored alarm system. They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?

Swifty

"They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?"

Humm, so that's why Nike sells so many $200/pair of shoes!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/23/12
With all the modifications might be getting close in cost to a built in. Turn an entire closet into a safe and add as much security and fire retardation as you want. Main cost is the door, lock and hinge system then plate steel on the walls and ceiling.
Posted By: pal Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/23/12
Find a regular gun safe whose door opens 180 degrees. Mount one row of guns to the back of the door, and you can freely access another row in the back of the safe. Store the guns in their own protective sleeves to avoid handling marks.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/23/12

Humm, so that's why Nike sells so many $200/pair of shoes!

Yep them nikes sure are nice, heard they can help some out run a speeding bullet. crazy But for those who feel adventuresome, and are prone to depriveing people of their property, then there is this.

[Linked Image]

Which is why I said How fast can they drill and peel?

And to the OP, Creative use of space is always a good thing. Theres more than 12 in this, and I dont get dings and dents.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 10/23/12
We`ve all had the bumped guns and aggravation removing the guns in the back of the safe.The advertised capacity (number of guns) might be attained if you store only single barreled shotguns or similar.Trying to fit scoped rifles etc.the space is quickly filled. This website: www.storemoreguns.com may have the solution.I just ordered the rods advertised and hope they work as claimed. I too am tired of scratched stocks and having to remove 5 or 6 guns to get the one in the back out.
Joe
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Shallow Gun Safe - 11/12/12
Finally got a chance to rework the innards of one of my safes and use the 'store more guns rods' that I had ordered. The product worked just as advertised.Capacity claimed for this safe was 30 but 24 or 25 was the limit for me.It now has 43 in it and no banging them together to remove one on the back row.Mixture of long arms;bolt,lever,double guns and scoped.This is one of those times that you ask yourself "Why didn`t I think of that?"
Joe
© 24hourcampfire