Home
Posted By: hanco Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Need help with the value of an Al Biesen rifle. Need to sell, need an idea of a fair price to ask for it. Thanks. Link to pics below.Rifle is a 7mm Weatherby. These rifles need to go to someone who appreciates them. Wife will end up giving them away.
http://imgur.com/a/2cWx4
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16

I do believe I would give my right ball for that rifle.

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by dogzapper

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

Yup! At my age they can have the left one too . grin
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
You beat me to that one.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Schit,the price is to high already. wink
Posted By: deflave Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
How does one prove a rifle was built by Al Biesen?

Travis
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Apparently it won't be from a white Hawaiian island splatter on the stock.
Posted By: SKane Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Contact info for the wife, please. whistle
Posted By: hanco Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
It has Al Biesen Gunmaker Spokane WN on the barrel. It's in 99% plus condition. Its not a super fancy example, but very nice. Needs a good home.
Originally Posted by deflave
How does one prove a rifle was built by Al Biesen?

Travis

You look at it. You can spot one from across a crowded room and you won't be wrong too often. wink
Posted By: Tejano Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
I think y'all place an inordinately high value on your testicles. We had a bunch of Mt. Oysters at a catered event and they were about $3 a pound. I doubt many even come close to a pound per pair. My apologies and condolence if you have Tsetse fever.

That rifle is a real beauty and you may want to put it on consignment at one of the higher grade shops. The market will determine the price pretty quickly. That is very similar to the Jack O'Connor #1 rifle so even better.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Gorgeous rifle. cool cool
Posted By: moosemike Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

It's up to 2 nuts now. I guess I'll throw in my right arm... Damn..
Posted By: Huntz Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by hanco
It has Al Biesen Gunmaker Spokane WN on the barrel. It's in 99% plus condition. Its not a super fancy example, but very nice. Needs a good home.

Nice Rifle no doubt.If you are going to auction it you are going to need written provenance proving Al Biesen made it.Other wise it will only bring what any custom rifle will bring in like condition.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by Huntz

Nice Rifle no doubt.If you are going to auction it you are going to need written provenance proving Al Biesen made it.Other wise it will only bring what any custom rifle will bring in like condition.

BS....
Posted By: jwall Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by SKane
Contact info for the wife, please. whistle

Well, I'd have to anti up more than that price AS boot with my wife! cry

Jerry
You can tell it's a Biesen by the stock shape and styling almost immediately.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
When you come up with a price, I'd like to visit.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/10/16
That stock is definitely a Biesen, the barrel marking is correct - "WN" - for Washington, before the current abbreviation "WA" (Roger still uses the original "WN" stamp as well).

The stock should also be marked in the barrel channel with the maker's name, but not always. The stock shape, especially the grip and checkering style is Biesen's signature style.
Posted By: jwall Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Originally Posted by BobinNH

First I am not a gunsmith and have ONLY seen pics of JOC's guns and Al B's. I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. It looks like a Biesen to me and am not arguing.

My main point---I know hundreds of people in Ar and @ 1/2 of those hunt deer.

I don't know ONE (1) person "personally" in Ar. who would have ANY idea of who Al. B is, much less that he made rifles.

There are SO many hunters that are NOT gun loonies, rifle loonies, shooting loonies, they just hunt!

Jerry
Posted By: beretzs Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Gosh darn! That's a dream rifle right there. The rifle just looks ready to hammer high country deer and elk!
Posted By: jt402 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
I would put it on consignment in a well stocked shop. Fees vary, so beware. My favorite dealer that can move high end items charges a nominal 10%. When I disposed of an estate in this manner, another high end dealer asked 20%, still another wanted 30%, and Cabela's asked 40%, + the gun library manager wanted a personal sweetheart deal on a matched pair of full engraved, ivory stocked Colt's SAAs. Yikes!

Needless to say, the ten percenter got the deal on almost 100K of pretty nice stuff. He made money with no investment and the kids got it all. They did gift me a couple of guns for my efforts in dispersing the entire estate, not just guns.

You can set a price, or some dealers might let it float while entertaining offers. ,

Best wishes,

Jack

Not a writer, just a guy who has been there and done that.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Originally Posted by jwall

First I am not a gunsmith and have ONLY seen pics of JOC's guns and Al B's. I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. It looks like a Biesen to me and am not arguing.

I don't know ONE (1) person "personally" in Ar. who would have ANY idea of who Al. B is, much less that he made rifles.

There are SO many hunters that are NOT gun loonies, rifle loonies, shooting loonies, they just hunt!

Jerry

Jerry that's all true. I have many friends who would not know a Biesen from a Goens if they fell and hit them in the head. frown

Unfortunately (depending how you look at it) my earliest mentors back into my college days,had many custom rifles floating through the shop I frequented. Many were Biesen and Goens rifles,also G&H, Phil Pilkington, Duane Wiebe,Len Brownell,and many others.

Plus I have owned a few by these people myself, so the style jumps out at me....as it does many others who have grown up and old looking at them.

I mean, who would NOT recognize JOC's rifle? wink
Posted By: John55 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
No question about what shop that gun came out of! Spot the comb shape and checkering pattern from a mile away if you are "into" custom rifles. The cartridge chambering will likely detract a bit from the value, and some folks will not like it because it isn't a M70 but a call to Champlin Arms or other high end resellers should get you a ball park figure.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
I'll up the bid to both of Steve and Bob's balls and one year of server security from Hillary.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I'll up the bid to both of Steve and Bob's balls and one year of server security from Hillary.

wink

smile

280: Good deal.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Getting somewhere around $4k for that rifle seems about right,although the cost to have something similar built would be 2-3x as much. I fear there will be more fine rifles coming to market in the years to come than there are new buyers to keep the prices up. None of my son's, or their friends, would trade a testical for that gun. (For which my wife, an impatient grandma in waiting, is grateful.)
utah we are a different breed from a different time.... smile
Posted By: utah708 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Yep. I read JOC for hours. My sons played first person shooter games with modern/fantasy weapons. Milliron, Biesen, Burgess, Fisher, Brownell, Sedgely, walnut, Pre-64 will mean nothing to them.
Posted By: djs Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

Steve:

Do you have any left that you haven't already traded for other custom rifles? smile smile
Posted By: djs Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Al Biesen was a true craftsman!!
Posted By: Three30Eight Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Sir...you have a wonderful collection. I truly hope that its nothing negative forcing you to sell off such trophies...
Posted By: javman Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/11/16
Here is one on GB and yours is in a lot better shape. Very nice indeed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=557926463
Posted By: cdb Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
I'm at
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Jerry that's all true. I have many friends who would not know a Biesen from a Goens if they fell and hit them in the head. frown

Unfortunately (depending how you look at it) my earliest mentors back into my college days,had many custom rifles floating through the shop I frequented. Many were Biesen and Goens rifles,also G&H, Phil Pilkington, Duane Wiebe,Len Brownell,and many others.

Plus I have owned a few by these people myself, so the style jumps out at me....as it does many others who have grown up and old looking at them.

I mean, who would NOT recognize JOC's rifle? wink

Well Bob you taught me something. I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.
Posted By: deflave Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16

I ask because once upon a time I was told to make an offer on an alleged Al Biesen rifle. My first two questions were:

1.) Who the fugk is Al Biesen?
2.) How do you know Al Biesen made it?

He could only answer the first question so I didn't bother with it.

Dave
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by cdb
..... I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.

cdb: Dale Goens, Cedar Crest, New Mexico.

A contemporary of Biesen, Len Brownell, and others of that time period.

Excellent stock maker. I owned two by Dale and friends of mine owned several others.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by cdb
..... I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.

cdb: Dale Goens, Cedar Crest, New Mexico.

A contemporary of Biesen, Len Brownell, and others of that time period.

Excellent stock maker. I owned two by Dale and friends of mine owned several others.

Never had the pleasure of owning a Goens rifle, but I did get to meet Dale a couple of times before he passed on. Interesting guy - big man, around 6'4". Was a steel guitarist in Western Swing bands out of Oklahoma in his younger days.
Posted By: hanco Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
There is a Biesen rifle on gun broker now for 4500.00. It's a model 70 with a left hand cheek piece.
There is a Biesen rifle on gun broker now for 4500.00. It's a model 70 with a left hand cheek piece.

That's a nice one. There's another on there for $2900. Mauser action in .308 Win. Very plain wood.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by deflave

I ask because once upon a time I was told to make an offer on an alleged Al Biesen rifle. My first two questions were:

1.) Who the fugk is Al Biesen?
2.) How do you know Al Biesen made it?

He could only answer the first question so I didn't bother with it.

Dave

You are stupid.You should have known it was an Al Biesen just by looking at it.No one would lie to you about who made a rifle doncha know??? crazy
Anybody can get fooled because these stock makers had styles that evolved over time. Most cut stocks by hand before pantographs,so they were bound to vary some.

An early Biesen might not look exactly like the Biesen stocks popularized and standardized by JOC writings.

Still lots of custom stock makers are pretty distinctive, but any of us can get fooled now and then.

A late Goens or Biesen is easier to distinguish than (say) a Monte Kennedy or Len Brownell.
Anybody can get fooled because these stock makers had styles that evolved over time. Most cut stocks by hand before pantographs,so they were bound to vary some.

An early Biesen might not look exactly like the Biesen stocks popularized and standardized by JOC writings.

Still lots of custom stock makers are pretty distinctive, but any of us can get fooled now and then.

A late Goens or Biesen is easier to distinguish than (say) a Monte Kennedy or Len Brownell.

The first stock Biesen did for JOC had white line spacers. Probably induced an attack of Jack's famous "vapors". The next one was an FN 30-06 that O'Connor used extensively, and even that one didn't look much like Biesen's later stuff.

Monte Kennedy was a master of styles. His stocks are all over the place esthetically. Most of the Kennedy stocks I've seen are pretty flamboyant.

I think Leonard Mews and Keith Stegall did some very distinctive stockwork that would be tough to mistake for anyone else. Some of the wood Stegall used was mind-blowing.
Mews, Stegall,Brownell,and especially Kennedy were very skilled. Some say Kennedy was the best craftsman.

Who knows?
Posted By: deflave Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by Huntz

You are stupid.You should have known it was an Al Biesen just by looking at it.No one would lie to you about who made a rifle doncha know??? crazy

Gotta love the "I told you so" markets.

Dave
Posted By: Owl Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/12/16
For all of you that want to donate a testicle, or maybe both... Just line up, and I'll snip'em right off for you.

Or, if you prefer, a good old rubber band off of the Sunday newspaper.

Just trying to be helpful. grin
Posted By: cdb Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/13/16
In 1979 a guy in the bathroom at a theater offered to sell me a one carat diamond for $25.00. I wanted to but didn't have the money.
Posted By: hanco Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Thanks for the input on the rifle. Hope to get 4100.00 for it. Scope stays on it. Comes with dies also. 13 1/4 LOP. 22 inch barrel
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by utah708
Yep. I read JOC for hours. My sons played first person shooter games with modern/fantasy weapons. Milliron, Biesen, Burgess, Fisher, Brownell, Sedgely, walnut, Pre-64 will mean nothing to them.

I will gladly fill the void.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Well its a fine rifle, I would guess 4K give or take 500. The problem will be as it always is finding a buyer for such an item! Better with Documentation, of course its chambered for a 7mm WM while I would not have a problem with that, some may. Why that is I don't know! I don't have the cash in any event, if I did I would give it some serious thought!
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

so that means I can call you "Lefty"?
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16

Add D'Arcy Echols and Gene Similion and Mark Penrod the three absolute best rifle makers of our current generation. Maybe add David Miller too. Those are the absolute best top four. Period.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Do you have any more details available on the rifle and the scope?

Feel free to PM to donsm70.

Thanks.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

so that means I can call you "Lefty"?

Or "Half Nuts".....
Posted By: Bugger Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Yeh but it's only a Mauser. wink
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by Owl
For all of you that want to donate a testicle, or maybe both... Just line up, and I'll snip'em right off for you.

Or, if you prefer, a good old rubber band off of the Sunday newspaper.

Just trying to be helpful. grin

You are just looking for an excuse to fondle our nuts... laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Al Biesen rifle - 05/14/16
Getting somewhere around $4k for that rifle seems about right,although the cost to have something similar built would be 2-3x as much. I fear there will be more fine rifles coming to market in the years to come than there are new buyers to keep the prices up. None of my son's, or their friends, would trade a testical for that gun. (For which my wife, an impatient grandma in waiting, is grateful.)

Sounds about right. Kids now days don't have nuts...... Just sayin... wink
Posted By: hanco Re: Al Biesen rifle - 06/04/16
The rifle found a good home. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire