Home
Posted By: smokinbarrels Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/14/15
I am looking for input from my fellow BBQ chefs on how good Bur Oak is for smoking. I have used Red Oak and White oak in the past but this is the first time I'm going to be using Bur Oak. I'm just looking for your guys experience using Bur Oak, good or bad.
Posted By: Gus Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/14/15
we don' have bur oak naturaly, unless brought in by a nurseryman.

if white oak turns your grill on, I don't see why bur oak won't do exactly the same thingy.
Posted By: smokinbarrels Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/15/15
Sounds good!
Thanks
Posted By: Otter Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/15/15
I, personally, prefer to use fruit woods, whether it be cherry, pear, apple or whatever. Usually use apple and have found it makes little, or no, difference if the wood is from a red delicious tree or a crab apple tree.

I also use hardwoods for smoking when I can get them (mostly hickory, maple and oak). I don't know that it makes any difference what "kind" of oak you use. As Gus said - if you have bur oak, use it.

BTW - Can't believe I agree with Gus !!! grin
Posted By: smokinbarrels Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/15/15
"BTW - Can't believe I agree with Gus"

Thanks for the input

PS: We'll keep the agreeing with Gus thing on the down low
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/20/15
To me, if you are looking for flavor from the wood smoke, then any oak type is interchangeable. Oak is excellent for fuel, but just doesn't add that much flavor when used for smoking.

Much better are the fruit woods (cherry, pear, peach or apple) and each will add it's own unique flavor to the meat.

Of course in Texas, mesquite is always a good choice.

Over the years I have gone to pecan for my own smoking (probably has something to do with the fact I have 30+ pecan trees on my property). It has an excellent flavor and goes particularly well with fish. Smoked Crappie over pecan is to die for.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/20/15
I love oak and pecan for brisket and beef ribs. For pork and poultry I like the milder fruit woods like peach, pear, apple and a little cherry for nice color. I can't imagine that bur oak would be much different from any of the other oaks.

Mike
Posted By: smokinbarrels Re: Wood for BBQ smoking - 08/22/15
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
© 24hourcampfire